Options

Police shooting people.....

Comments

• Options
    "Wow. Another black guy got shot by a cop!"
    - implies cops mowing down black guys fueled by racist attitudes

"Wow. Another black guy resisting arrest got shot by a cop!"
    - implies guy at point of arrest challenged cops and got shot for doing so

Which of the big profile cases were of the first variety? I can think of Tamir Rice and the recent one in Minnesota off the top of my head.

The other cases I'm remembering were of the second variety. And being of the second variety, in many circles including ones here, a very significant part of the equation is consistently left out- damning cops in the process and nurturing the 'us versus them' attitude which has recently resulted in cops targeted for death by people buying the 'us versus them' attitude.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Which of the big profile cases were of the first variety? I can think of Tamir Rice and the recent one in Minnesota off the top of my head.

The other cases I'm remembering were of the second variety. And being of the second variety, in many circles including ones here, a very significant part of the equation is consistently left out- damning cops in the process and nurturing the 'us versus them' attitude which has recently resulted in cops targeted for death by people buying the 'us versus them' attitude.

The police have had an us vs. them attitude for a long time. It is shitty that civilians are starting to buy into that but who couldn't see that happening?
  • Options
    dignin said:

The police have had an us vs. them attitude for a long time. It is shitty that civilians are starting to buy into that but who couldn't see that happening?
    I know. That's stupid on the part of civilians. The criminals are the only ones that should think of themselves as 'them'.

I'm on the 'us' side of the equation alongside cops. I don't break the law and I value their efforts to uphold it.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Sorry I wasted your time, feel free to not read my response.
    So by your own statement more than half aren't research journals, and my comment was about the lack of research and the spin that was made in it. Take the final point in the VF article, VF highlights the discrepancy in speed, but completely ignored the statement "although community respondents set the decision criterion lower for Black targets than for White targets (indicating bias), police officers did not." Indicated there is less and virtually no racial bias with the police than compared to the community when it comes to deciding whether or not to shoot. Isn't that a pretty big finding against police bias?
    The first link was another research article that made the claim that racial bias is found in big cities with large minority groups and higher poverty level, but added there was no correlation to existing crime. I had an issue with that because every major city with poverty levels has higher crime, so if thats where any bias is found how can you claim crime rates had no impact? Instead of attempting to say why crime is not related it just said "data is not explanation by crime rates." Okay, if you make that claim, but your results suggest otherwise, thats something you should explain a little.

But let's assume every article had zero bias, you completely missed my biggest complaint, that none accounted for resisting arrest. It's pretty hard to ignore that factor and make the claims they've made, that the only deciding factor (or even biggest) is race when to comes to police shootings. Simply not true.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

dignin said:

I know. That's stupid on the part of civilians. The criminals are the only ones that should think of themselves as 'them'.

I'm on the 'us' side of the equation alongside cops. I don't break the law and I value their efforts to uphold it.
    What bothers me is that you hold citizens to higher standards than police.
    Your expectations are jacked. A highly trained professional officer is allowed to suspend judgement and act out of fear at the mere suggestion of a weapon, but when a cop points a weapon in a citizens face, the citizen is expected to keep their cool, follow directions, and remain calm.
    That's just fucked.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2016
    rgambs said:

dignin said:

Your expectations are jacked. A highly trained professional officer is allowed to suspend judgement and act out of fear at the mere suggestion of a weapon, but when a cop points a weapon in a citizens face, the citizen is expected to keep their cool, follow directions, and remain calm.
    That's just fucked.
    I give police the right to protect themselves. I ask citizens to comply with the police.

If a citizen doesn't comply, resists, and is shot as a result... what can you say? I am not going to say cops need to exercise unbelievable restraint when dealing with confrontational people at the point of arrest- especially when doing so might place their lives at risk.

Don't want to get shot? Comply. Better yet... don't break the law.

Edit: what is f**ked is your eagerness to hold the bar so low for citizens... as if it is their right to not only break it, but resist it in a last ditch effort to avoid arrest.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

You can say that because you apparently have never been on the side of "them".

I'm not a criminal. I don't break the law and I value their efforts but that didn't stop me from becoming one of "them". I'm sure there are a lot of people on hear that have stories that involve a run in with a shitty cop.

It was small potatoes compared to what black men in the US have to deal with on a daily basis, but it still sucked.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

Just a little info to show that the Sheriff above has no idea what he is talking about and is completely full of shit.

WHAT THE DATA REALLY SAYS ABOUT POLICE AND RACIAL BIAS

Eighteen academic studies, legal rulings, and media investigations shed light on the issue roiling America.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

Is vanityfair a reputable news agency?
    Irrelevant, since they site and link to 18 studies. Anyone on the face of the planet could do the same thing, and it would be no less relevant than if the New York Times did it.
    I disagree since a reputable news agency would check the facts (how the research was done) and others may not.
    I found this article to be lacking details, and coming up with some ridiculous conclusions. One of the top first sources they cite them as saying "the only thing thing that significant in predicting whether the person shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black."
    That's ridiculous because every single case I have seen where someone was shot and killed and unarmed they either resisted arrest or had a toy gun. Seems like pretty significant detail to leave out.
    Go ahead and Google "unarmed white man shot by police" and you'll find matches for that too. I don't have any respect for that article.
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

Just a little info to show that the Sheriff above has no idea what he is talking about and is completely full of shit.

Eighteen academic studies, legal rulings, and media investigations shed light on the issue roiling America.

Is vanityfair a reputable news agency?
    Irrelevant, since they site and link to 18 studies. Anyone on the face of the planet could do the same thing, and it would be no less relevant than if the New York Times did it.
    I disagree since a reputable news agency would check the facts (how the research was done) and others may not.
    I found this article to be lacking details, and coming up with some ridiculous conclusions. One of the top first sources they cite them as saying "the only thing thing that significant in predicting whether the person shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black."
    That's ridiculous because every single case I have seen where someone was shot and killed and unarmed they either resisted arrest or had a toy gun. Seems like pretty significant detail to leave out.
    Go ahead and Google "unarmed white man shot by police" and you'll find matches for that too. I don't have any respect for that article.
    I think you're not understanding the quote you put in your comment. What that's saying is that looking at the variables, that none are significant in predicting whether a person will be shot outside if race. If you're black, you're more likely to be shot by cops, even if you're doing the same thing a white person is doing. You're wanting to draw conclusions from individual, anecdotal stories and ignore the data.
    The article didn't say blacks were more likely to get shot under the same circumstances. They were pretty clear and said the ONLY factor to being shot if you are unarmed is if you are black or not. That's it, nothing else. Meaning no other variables. Meaning only race is considered. They were clear in stating race is the only factor when being shot. It didn't say "more likely." Nope, it said race was the ONLY factor. And I'm suppose to take them as a legitimate resource and scientific study?
    Which is so ridiculous because if that is true and according to the article, the only deciding factor is color, then all black people would be shot every time they were pulled over. I'm not making that up, that's what the article wants you to believe when they use the words "only thing" and refer to race. Which is ridiculous.
    Every case that has made the news in the last few years also involved resisting arrest. An exponentially larger factor than race is resisting arrest and assaulting police officers.
    If you click the links to the original article, it gets explained in more detail. What the quote is referencing is that crime level, and threat level isn't the factor. Meaning a white person and a black person can both be doing the same threatening behaviors, but the black person is more likely to be shot because there is a bias in the cops interpretation of the behavior. They're perceived to be more theatening.

Oh, I've also seen news clips of blacks being shot in the back running away and reaching back in their car to get ID. But again, anecdotal stories aren't necessarily proof.
    I referenced the links in another response. Most are other magazines and newspapers, and not "research journals." Newspapers can be as biased and FOX or CNN.
    On your last paragraph I thought of those two stories while writing my original post. The dude running away was resisting arrest. Yes, 100% unjustified and the cop was arrested for murder, but also fits under the variable of "resisting arrest," which I had pointed out as being a larger factor than race.
    The other story the guy was armed. According to the girlfriend was armed and licensed to carry, but still armed and this article was about unarmed black men. And there's already threads about this story, I haven't been convinced one way or the other on this story since there is limited information out and he was only going for his ID according to the girlfriend. Even if you believe the cop decided it was his best chance to murder a black male when there were 2 others in the car, he was still armed and doesn't pertain to this article in discussion.
    Leaving the single biggest factor on unarmed men getting shot still resisting arrest, and not color. Ever instance of an unarmed black man being shot that has made national news he was resisting arrent. An extremely large variable that is commonly ignored. So if you are black and don't want to get shot by the police, stay unarmed and don't resist arrest and we wouldn't have a single story to discuss here.
    The instance I referred to of the guy reaching into his car and getting shot is different than what you're talking about. You're really digging your heals in on this one, but missing the point, which is if a white person resists arrest at the same level a black person does, that white person has less of a chance getting shot, and the black person more of a chance. I guess your conclusion is that it's essentially a black person's fault (except for the few "bad apple" cops) and that they should should follow a higher behavioral expectation than whites?
  • Options

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.
    I give police the right to protect themselves. I ask citizens to comply with the police.

If a citizen doesn't comply, resists, and is shot as a result... what can you say? I am not going to say cops need to exercise unbelievable restraint when dealing with confrontational people at the point of arrest- especially when doing so might place their lives at risk.

Edit: what is f**ked is your eagerness to hold the bar so low for citizens... as if it is their right to not only break it, but resist it in a last ditch effort to avoid arrest.
    And when you're following the law, but police treat you like you are not? Then what?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Sorry I wasted your time, feel free to not read my response.
    So by your own statement more than half aren't research journals, and my comment was about the lack of research and the spin that was made in it. Take the final point in the VF article, VF highlights the discrepancy in speed, but completely ignored the statement "although community respondents set the decision criterion lower for Black targets than for White targets (indicating bias), police officers did not." Indicated there is less and virtually no racial bias with the police than compared to the community when it comes to deciding whether or not to shoot. Isn't that a pretty big finding against police bias?
    The first link was another research article that made the claim that racial bias is found in big cities with large minority groups and higher poverty level, but added there was no correlation to existing crime. I had an issue with that because every major city with poverty levels has higher crime, so if thats where any bias is found how can you claim crime rates had no impact? Instead of attempting to say why crime is not related it just said "data is not explanation by crime rates." Okay, if you make that claim, but your results suggest otherwise, thats something you should explain a little.

But let's assume every article had zero bias, you completely missed my biggest complaint, that none accounted for resisting arrest. It's pretty hard to ignore that factor and make the claims they've made, that the only deciding factor (or even biggest) is race when to comes to police shootings. Simply not true.

Maybe you're speed reading the links. The one about crime rate is saying there's no correlation to police shooting people and the cities rate of crime. As they list the cities from high to low crime rate and plot police shootings over the top of it, there's not trend in the police shooting numbers that follows the crime rate stats, it's all over the place.
  • Options

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.

That sounds like a direct quote from an SS officer.

I hope you never have to be put in a situation where a cop is losing his shit and pointing weapons at you for simply asking questions, but it would be nice to see you learn a little humility. "Just comply", right like it's so easy to comply when your being tased for asking what you did wrong.
  • Options

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.

And when you're following the law, but police treat you like you are not? Then what?
    Then after navigating yourself through that encounter with as much politeness as possible, you say to yourself, "Wow. What a f**king asshole!" And carry on with your day.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.

I hope you never have to be put in a situation where a cop is losing his shit and pointing weapons at you for simply asking questions, but it would be nice to see you learn a little humility. "Just comply", right like it's so easy to comply when your being tased for asking what you did wrong.
    Resort to dramatics in the face of a losing argument. RG... come on, man.

Is this your comeback to a very simple truth?
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.

Resort to dramatics in the face of a losing argument. RG... come on, man.

Is this your comeback to a very simple truth?
    It's not dramatics, it's real life for minorities in America. The law deals them unjustly and expects them to comply at a level beyond the law-keepers own ability.

Also, dramatics is your favorite tactic and you know it lol
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rgambs said:

dignin said:

That's just fucked.

Then after navigating yourself through that encounter with as much politeness as possible, you say to yourself, "Wow. What a f**king asshole!" And carry on with your day.
    So when a government entity repeatedly abuses its power, people should just "carry on with their day" like nothing happened? I guess it's fine if it's someone else who is losing their freedoms.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited July 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Doesn't make his point any less valid.
    Yes it does.

His point is his opinion. An opinion not backed up by the data and research.
    So there isn't an anti cop sentiment amongst black people across the country?
    Sure there is. Not even just amongst black people. What is your point though?
    Besides blacks, where is this anti cop sentiment? Because I m not really seeing anywhere except amongst blacks.
    Really? Because I see a lot of non-black people protesting against police brutality and corruption. Maybe you just aren't noticing? But FWIW, most sane people don't just blindly hate all cops. They are only anti-bad-cop and anti-too-many-bad-cops. Not anti-cop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Yeah, I guess that kinda voided my previous comments about resisting arrest.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Why did you shoot me?

I don't know.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    Pretending that the lack of respect for police by some people hasn't played a large part in the developments and police shootings is ignorant.

Pretending that some cops haven't created a sense of distrust in the communities they work via their racist speech and, in my opinion, blatant overuse of power (illegitimate stops, etc) is also ignorant.

We don't need to blame just 1, we need to fix both. Police forces need to stop protecting bad (and sometimes criminal cops). This also highlights a major issue I have with unions in general. The police need to become more open, transparent. They need to get rid of their own trash. They need to help start the healing. Once they do, the community better follow (and it should).

The community also has to stop pretending that all the people shot by cops are innocent. The vast majority are criminals, have history of criminal activity, have been committing a crime just prior to the incident. They are not saints. Do they deserve to be shot? Not always for sure, but again, like Johnny Manzell, you put yourself in bad positions enough times and bad shit happens.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    CH156378 said:

Why did you shoot me?

I don't know.

This latest shooting, and the one in MN, certainly seem to be the most extreme uses of a gun by police in the recent past. I'll be interested to see what the outcome and what the whole story is on this one. If what I have read so far is true, I feel terrible for both people involved in the shooting, and it appears like the shooting was not justified.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    This may be the most ignorant thing I've ever seen. The sooner trigger happy douche bags like this get weeded out, the better. At least he was a bad enough shot that it didn't kill that poor guy.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Clearly, there is no reason for black people to fear the police.
    Just comply and everything will be fine.
    Stop breaking the law.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

This is the only example that I've seen where the was no resisting involved. If you have other examples of this happening, share them.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

This is the only example that I've seen where the was no resisting involved. If you have other examples of this happening, share them.
    I don't, but if you choose to believe that this first definitive video represents the first instance of this happening, there is no reason to bother continuing the discussion.

These sorts of incidents are something the black community has lived with from the very beginning.
    When a black man who hasn't broken the law is suspicious of police and "resists" an unjust detainment, perhaps people should remember this video when they wonder why trust is lacking.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

I don't, but if you choose to believe that this first definitive video represents the first instance of this happening, there is no reason to bother continuing the discussion.

These sorts of incidents are something the black community has lived with from the very beginning.
    When a black man who hasn't broken the law is suspicious of police and "resists" an unjust detainment, perhaps people should remember this video when they wonder why trust is lacking.
    I'm not saying cops haven't shot people in the past for little to no reason. What I'm saying goodbye is that your narrative that cops are walking around killing black people for no reason is not valid. Of all of the videos of cops killing people, there has been 1 common theme: resisting.

This particular shooting is obviously an exception to that. And there is no doubt this cop should be locked up.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Stop breaking the law.

I'm not saying cops haven't shot people in the past for little to no reason. What I'm saying goodbye is that your narrative that cops are walking around killing black people for no reason is not valid. Of all of the videos of cops killing people, there has been 1 common theme: resisting.

This particular shooting is obviously an exception to that. And there is no doubt this cop should be locked up.
    There is no doubt he probably won't be.

I'm not saysaying this happens frequently, but it does happen regularly.
    When you start paying attention to all the shit short of shooting (beatings, unreasonable searches and detainment, etc) that black people are regularly subjected to, the distrust of police should make sense.