Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Off the supplements - going clean while we're trying to get pregnant again. Really don't notice any changes to my workouts or building without em'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I bought a new iShuffle and because of using it my treadmill exercise was more enjoyable. Five miles walking, and one mile running with a lot of stopping.

I could walk 10 miles, no problem, but running one mile nonstop seems to be a mental challenge. I've done it before. I worked up to it, and then I did it.

It's time to implement a strategy I haven't used before, but I don't know what that is.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Walk five miles on a treadmill. If I run, I'll decrease my walking distance.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Ms. Haiku said:

Ran five miles on a treadmill. If I run, I'll decrease my walking distance.

Good work!! After having a pretty rough few weeks I'm back at it again. Awesome shoulders, chest and triceps workout during mid-point of my work day.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Ran five miles on a treadmill. If I run, I'll decrease my walking distance.

Oops, I meant walk five miles.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,107
    Was on vacation last week and didn't work out any. Paying for it this week. Haven't been this sore since I first started. Bright side is that I've hit new records for some things this week: 1RM bench press, squat, and dead lifts. Woo-hoo!
  • Options

Was on vacation last week and didn't work out any. Paying for it this week. Haven't been this sore since I first started. Bright side is that I've hit new records for some things this week: 1RM bench press, squat, and dead lifts. Woo-hoo!

Congratulations!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Is this thread going to get repurposed for 2017? I hope so; I enjoy reading about everyone's perseverance even if I don't post.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hiking is my exercise. Been trying to get 3-4 hrs in a week.
  • Options

Is this thread going to get repurposed for 2017? I hope so; I enjoy reading about everyone's perseverance even if I don't post.

I don't know if the thread will be repurposed for 2017, but I'm going to keep working out and trying to get in better shape.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I started 2016 at 220, I was down to 180 by May, and now I am back up to 210.
    Going back on the diet and exercize for the next spring adventure.
    I find that losing weight and eating right is exponentially easier in the short term, but maintaining a decent diet is hard as fuck in the long run.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I hope so. I have 2017 running goals, and I'm excited about posting about my running on a 2017 thread. I guess a new thread would be best instead of just adding 2017 exercise to this thread.

It would be better if Pearl Jam had a tour in 2017 as some of us became more committed to exercise when the 2016 tour was announced :)
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I hope so. I have 2017 running goals, and I'm excited about posting about my running on a 2017 thread. I guess a new thread would be best instead of just adding 2017 exercise to this thread.

It would be better if Pearl Jam had a tour in 2017 as some of us became more committed to exercise when the 2016 tour was announced :)
    Me too! Still have to conquer Pike's Peak!
  • Options
    Got a good six miles round trip in today!
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I've just started a 30-day diet called the No Restaurant Food Diet. The plan is obviously in the title:

No morning coffee and muffins from my favorite bakery. No Taco Tuesdays at Cafe Rio. No sitting at the bar after work with a bottle of wine and then ordering appetizers or meals to soak up the alcohol. No stopping at the Chick-fil-a drive through when I'm busy and stressed out. 30 days. I can do this. Thankfully I enjoy cooking and eating my own food, and it's at least half the price per serving!

I've tracked my spending for three months and calculated the average of restaurant money wasted down the drain. Over the course of a year, I could make 7 extra car payments with the money, or save for a down payment on a house . . . or pay cash when PJ tours next.

I'm pretty sure I will lose weight as well -- because I always eat the whole damn plate, no matter how huge it is -- and it's always way more than I need.

Strict 30 days in January, and then I'll adjust in February after I see how my life changes :blush:

Good luck with your goals everybody!
  • Options
    Good luck with that, what dreams! We try to cook at home as much as we can, but sometimes it's just so easy to go pick something up.

Today was definitely resolution day at the gym today. Saw a lot of new faces and I'm betting only about 5% of them will be around longer than 2 weeks. Some of these new people need to learn to rack their weights though. So frustrating looking for plates when some douche has hoarded them all then leaves without giving any indication he's done.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Change the title to 2017? Sprunkin?

Ugh...I was doing good...lost 8 pounds before decorated tree day...went away with friends for the weekend. They don't eat as healthy as I do...uuugggghhhhh.

Fresh start next week since I'm trying to clean out my gut-probiotics and no meat for this week.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

I've just started a 30-day diet called the No Restaurant Food Diet. The plan is obviously in the title:

No morning coffee and muffins from my favorite bakery. No Taco Tuesdays at Cafe Rio. No sitting at the bar after work with a bottle of wine and then ordering appetizers or meals to soak up the alcohol. No stopping at the Chick-fil-a drive through when I'm busy and stressed out. 30 days. I can do this. Thankfully I enjoy cooking and eating my own food, and it's at least half the price per serving!

I've tracked my spending for three months and calculated the average of restaurant money wasted down the drain. Over the course of a year, I could make 7 extra car payments with the money, or save for a down payment on a house . . . or pay cash when PJ tours next.

I'm pretty sure I will lose weight as well -- because I always eat the whole damn plate, no matter how huge it is -- and it's always way more than I need.

Strict 30 days in January, and then I'll adjust in February after I see how my life changes :blush:

Good luck with your goals everybody!

It's amazing what a lifestyle change this is. I had to stop going to cafes because I can't drink coffee anymore, and because it was too expensive. I thought it was the only way that I could talk with people during my unemployment, but I wasn't really saying anything besides my order or brief casual conversation. It's only been about a month, but I definitely saved money, and I'm home during the cooler seasons.

Good luck, what dreams!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,865
    I lost 15 pounds in 2016...until the summer ended... then I gained ten back :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

I lost 15 pounds in 2016...until the summer ended... then I gained ten back :lol:

Me too! I have been trying to add things to my day to control it. Lost two pounds this week just doing sit ups and jogging in place during commercial breaks, during my few TV hours at night..
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I joined a gym before Christmas and have been going nearly every day.
    Been cycling on the machine and jogging on the treadmill.
    Aim is to lose weight, dropped 1kg but yesterday whilst on the bike felt a pop in my archilles tendon and now it is a bit sore.
    Pretty disappointed as I wanted to go gym today but took the day off incase it's serious.
    Might go to my doctor to get it checked out if it is not better tomorrow.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I lost 40 and gained back 30 lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    My wife had a baby a month ago and going to the gym wasn't at the top of my list for awhile. Made my return to the gym yesterday....holy shit am I sore today! Glad I'm getting back at it....it's so easy to just not work out for a month.
  • Options
    It would be really cool if I could push through my goals. I had unexpected heart issues that flattened my inspiration in 2016. Also, exercise could be boring work.

My cardiologist said I could run a marathon if I trained for it, and since my goals are shorter than a marathon I don't have an excuse. I just need to crave running.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Ms. Haiku said:

It would be really cool if I could push through my goals. I had unexpected heart issues that flattened my inspiration in 2016. Also, exercise could be boring work.

My cardiologist said I could run a marathon if I trained for it, and since my goals are shorter than a marathon I don't have an excuse. I just need to crave running.

It can be boring, but i hope you find something you love so much it isn't boring. There are two different types of physical activity that I do and I enjoy both of them so much that isn't work, it's fun.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    This past year I worked really hard on mindfulness -- just accepting where I'm at without judgment and expectation.

As everybody shapes up -- or down -- in 2017, I'd like to suggest we all practice more self-compassion.

Missed some workouts? Accept the reasons why, and forgive yourself. At that moment in time, you were in a different place mentally or physically.

Ate a half pound of pasta and then cookies for dessert? Oh well. Forgive yourself. That indulgence fed something you needed at that moment in time.

Didn't run as far or lift as much as you wanted? You ran or lifted as much as you did at that moment in time, and you're still better off than if you had not done anything.

As I think about my health and wellness practice for this year, I recognize how important it is for me to be honest with myself. I know what I want to do and why I want to do it and how I feel after doing or not doing it. But what I CAN do at any given moment is where I am setting my intentions.

Right now, I can get off my ass and stretch for 10 minutes before starting my day. Happy Sunday everybody!
  • Options

This past year I worked really hard on mindfulness -- just accepting where I'm at without judgment and expectation.

As everybody shapes up -- or down -- in 2017, I'd like to suggest we all practice more self-compassion.

Missed some workouts? Accept the reasons why, and forgive yourself. At that moment in time, you were in a different place mentally or physically.

Ate a half pound of pasta and then cookies for dessert? Oh well. Forgive yourself. That indulgence fed something you needed at that moment in time.

Didn't run as far or lift as much as you wanted? You ran or lifted as much as you did at that moment in time, and you're still better off than if you had not done anything.

As I think about my health and wellness practice for this year, I recognize how important it is for me to be honest with myself. I know what I want to do and why I want to do it and how I feel after doing or not doing it. But what I CAN do at any given moment is where I am setting my intentions.

Right now, I can get off my ass and stretch for 10 minutes before starting my day. Happy Sunday everybody!

Very sage advice..
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277

My wife had a baby a month ago and going to the gym wasn't at the top of my list for awhile. Made my return to the gym yesterday....holy shit am I sore today! Glad I'm getting back at it....it's so easy to just not work out for a month.

I lost 20 and gained back 10! Still on the losing side right???

Back in the saddle :-)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Hit 215 (one rep max) on bench press yesterday. Did shoulders and triceps as well and I'm quite sore today.

After thinking about it for a few days, got my goals for this year:
    1. Continue losing weight. Would like to get my body fat % to around 15%, which means I probably need to lose 25-30 more pounds.
    2. Be able to do unassisted pull-ups. Gonna have to train my back a lot more than I am currently to do this. But, back training will help with the next goal...
    3. Be able to rep out bench press at 225.
    4. Do more cardio. Trained for a 5K last June or July, but after that was done just stuck with lifting. Don't want to do more races, but I need to do more than I did the second half of last year.
  • Options
    I want to lose weight this year. Today I bought freeze dried fruit over a bag of cookies. . . Putting one foot in front of the other.