Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    By the way, I did mention way back that I thought a Trump presidency would be a hoot, that's because politicians, like government employees, bureaucrats live at the trough of the taxpayer with little regard to actual taxpayer...so forgive me if I don't take these election things that some of you are so fond of as seriously as you do. That life...your problem, not mine...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    lukin2006 said:

By the way, I did mention way back that I thought a Trump presidency would be a hoot, that's because politicians, like government employees, bureaucrats live at the trough of the taxpayer with little regard to actual taxpayer...so forgive me if I don't take these election things that some of you are so fond of as seriously as you do. That life...your problem, not mine...

Trump isn't the same as other POTUS's. Look, if you have chosen not to care about something that is a huge deal for the entire world, be my guest. But why not lay off on acting like the rest of us shouldn't either? Some of us don't think being ridiculously apathetic and blase about the most appalling political upset in the history of the free world, which will have world-wide negative effects, is something to be proud of.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    lukin2006 said:

Ah, the apathy card. Played by someone with a remembrance day avatar.....which never would have existed if fear mongering and voter apathy didnt exist.

Oh, the irony.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Trump isn't the same as other POTUS's. Look, if you have chosen not to care about something that is a huge deal for the entire world, be my guest. But why not lay off on acting like the rest of us shouldn't either? Some of us don't think being ridiculously apathetic and blase about the most appalling political upset in the history of the free world, which will have world-wide negative effects, is something to be proud of.
    You trying to take away my fun....

This has been one of the best and busiest days on these forums ... hahahaha
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

lukin2006 said:

Ah, the apathy card. Played by someone with a remembrance day avatar.....which never would have existed if fear mongering and voter apathy didnt exist.

Oh, the irony.

Yes and you wanted a war monger as president not me, I display an symbol every year in honour and respect for relatives that served in both WW and in honour of others served in wars caused by politicians ... but yet none of the politicians are ever the first on the battlefield...so you'll just have to get over yourself...maybe go play a game of hockey.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Oh, the irony.

Yes and you wanted a war monger as president not me, I display an symbol every year in honour and respect for relatives that served in both WW and in honour of others served in wars caused by politicians ... but yet none of the politicians are ever the first on the battlefield...so you'll just have to get over yourself...maybe go play a game of hockey.

No i didnt. I wanted a non trump.

not really a sports guy. But thanks for the suggestion! Its super original to tell a canadian to go play hockey! Bravo! Excuse me, i have to go feed my pet moose Gordie.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fuck you have a pet moose as well, cool...

• Options
    And a beaver that comes around from time to time. He wears a toque and he can drink more beer than most americans.

Hoser eh?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Beavers are cool...is he wearing a Jets jersey, I hope....

• Options
    ^^^
    Fuck you all like beavers too?
  • Options

^^^
    Fuck you all like beavers too?

I see what you did there...

• Options
    Chantal Hebert is a fantastic, smart as a whip journalist.
    I always enjoy reading her. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/11/12/trudeau-is-equally-traumatized-by-trump-hbert.html
    Ontario MP Janko Peric wondered out loud whether Bush actually cared for the people of Iraq.
    Canada was watching the Iraq operation from the sidelines when then-Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish stomped on a doll of the American president — a gesture for which she was exiled from the government benches.
    Those were pre-Twitter days. One can only imagine the cacophony that would have resulted if Chrétien or Martin’s caucuses had been empowered with the opportunity to vent against the White House in 140-character increments.
    But in this instance Trudeau has neither the luxury to have his MPs indulge in Trump bashing nor the political need to do so.
    The Iraq episode was undoubtedly a major bump in the road. To a lesser degree, so was Barack Obama’s veto on the Keystone XL pipeline. Both put strains on the Canada-U.S. relationship.
    But in each case at least one of the protagonists was on the way out of politics. In 2003 Chrétien was in his last year in office. At the time of the Keystone veto, Obama’s presidency was drawing to a close. The notion that a more amenable partner might be just around the corner was not a delusion.
    Trudeau, who is at the dawn of a first mandate, has no alternative but to play the long game. Expectations that he will find productive common ground with Trump are so low that it would normally not take much to exceed them. But then normal is not the first word that comes to mind when one looks at the new North American dynamics.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    edited December 2016
    between the approval of kinder morgan and the liberal representatives on electoral reform - trudeau showing he is a sheep in wolf's clothing ... what a turd ...
  • Options
    ^^^
    You voted for him no?
  • Options

^^^
    You voted for him no?

hell no ... i've never voted for a liberal in any election period ...
  • Options
    ^^^
    Sorry about that.
    Your posts are very indicative of a liberal.
  • Options

^^^
    Sorry about that.

Albertan.

And Polaris is very liberal in nature (not a bad thing). But this little exchange points out the very basic fact that people's politics are very much tied to their family's needs and interests.

Alberta wanted Harper for many reasons. The rest of Canada didn't feel the same as them for many reasons.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

^^^
    Sorry about that.

i take offense to that!! ... nowhere close to being liberal (canadian liberal not us liberal)
  • Options
    gov't is releasing a survey to gather info on electoral reform ... me thinks they are trying to use this as a means of railroading the process ... think they are going to try and relate accountability and speed of decision as measures by which we shouldn't engage in electoral reform ...

https://www.mydemocracy.ca/
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    polaris_x said:

gov't is releasing a survey to gather info on electoral reform ... me thinks they are trying to use this as a means of railroading the process ... think they are going to try and relate accountability and speed of decision as measures by which we shouldn't engage in electoral reform ...

https://www.mydemocracy.ca/

My feelings as well.
  • Options
    Nice bit of news this morning.

Black rights activist Viola Desmond to be 1st Canadian woman on $10 bill

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-banknote-woman-1.3885844
  • Options
    Well, isn't this a scary thought. Canada is not immune to this kind of BS.

Is The Media’s Need For “Canada’s Trump” Making Leitch A Shoe-In?

http://www.canadalandshow.com/medias-need-canadas-trump-making-leitch-shoe/
  • Options
    Nah, we'll be fine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Nah, we'll be fine.

I don't know about that. The article does show a direct correlation between her stupid comments, the media attention she gets because of them and then her rise in polling. I do think that by the time our next election rolls around Trump will have burned the states to the ground enough that Canadians will be afraid to go that route.
  • Options
    Remember, none of us thought Americans were stupid enough to elect Donald. We must be vigilant.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nah, we'll be fine.

I don't know about that. The article does show a direct correlation between her stupid comments, the media attention she gets because of them and then her rise in polling. I do think that by the time our next election rolls around Trump will have burned the states to the ground enough that Canadians will be afraid to go that route.
    Well if she wins the Conservative nomination, then that party is more out of touch than even I imagined. It would be a huge mistake. I think the majority of Conservative party members know that they could never win an election with her leading the party. Hell, even Harper knew that touching on issues like abortion wouldn't work, and he's a fundamentalist. Even if they all went nuts and did it, it would fuck their party up completely. Harper so badly lost the last election specifically because Canadians were reacting to his more right wing ideas, and most precisely because of the Islamophobia he started pushing leading up to election day. Leitch is a novelty, that's all. I almost hope the Conservative are that stupid and desperate to choose her as their leader though, because they will be shooting themselves in the foot (and yeah, I know some people said similar things about Trump, but it's really not the same. Canada is not on the same track as the US in this sense).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Rona Ambrose is the next PM.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nah, we'll be fine.

Well if she wins the Conservative nomination, then that party is more out of touch than even I imagined. It would be a huge mistake. I think the majority of Conservative party members know that they could never win an election with her leading the party. Hell, even Harper knew that touching on issues like abortion wouldn't work, and he's a fundamentalist. Even if they all went nuts and did it, it would fuck their party up completely. Harper so badly lost the last election specifically because Canadians were reacting to his more right wing ideas, and most precisely because of the Islamophobia he started pushing leading up to election day. Leitch is a novelty, that's all. I almost hope the Conservative are that stupid and desperate to choose her as their leader though, because they will be shooting themselves in the foot (and yeah, I know some people said similar things about Trump, but it's really not the same. Canada is not on the same track as the US in this sense).
    I like your optimism.

And I hope you're right.

If anyone needs to know anything about her, all you need to look at is the crocodile tears she had after her involvement in the barbaric practices hotline. Then she doubled down on that shit later when it could get her some attention. She has no class.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nah, we'll be fine.

I like your optimism.

And I hope you're right.

If anyone needs to know anything about her, all you need to look at is the crocodile tears she had after her involvement in the barbaric practices hotline. Then she doubled down on that shit later when it could get her some attention. She has no class.
    Oh, she's revolting. I think that those who actually go for what she's laying down are even worse.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    dignin said:

Well, isn't this a scary thought. Canada is not immune to this kind of BS.

Is The Media’s Need For “Canada’s Trump” Making Leitch A Shoe-In?

http://www.canadalandshow.com/medias-need-canadas-trump-making-leitch-shoe/

Haven't read this yet (random google result from two days ago), but this has been building for a while...at first glance, the perfect choice for a Canadian trump.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/kevin-o-leary-surprises-with-potential-campaign-team-assembled-1.3200056