Options

Better Call Saul WARNING Spoiler Alert

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I liked this episode. A little slower than the rest but we do need some back story info. I wonder if Saul's brother started with his shit when Jimmy left the practice. Could he possibly be pulling a Slipping Jimmy on everyone?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    JK_Livin said:

samjam said:

First weak episode in my opinion. Looking forward to a little more back story on Mike next week.

Agreed. Happy it ended well, though, and the scenes from the next episode look great. So really looking forward to next week. I love the character of Mike!

i thought it was a good episode. sure there was filler, albeit funny stuff "yeah that's it. fill me up conner!" haha......the scenes with his brother were great. and the last 10 minutes that featured mike were outstanding. i think the show pivots here to their relationship and saul/jimmy defending him in court for whatever he did.

The episode was a little bit all over the place, but I still enjoyed it. I'm glad that they are finally going to start getting into Mike's story and how the relationship with him and Jimmy really got started.

Also, the diner that they showed Mike sitting in at the end was used in Breaking Bad before but I can't figure out which episode! Anyone else pick up on that?
    I noticed that with the diner, too! Was it where Todd met with his uncles once in the last season? Can't exactly put my finger on it either.
    I can't remember either. Was it where Walt met with the corporate lady, can't remember her name. She was paranoid like a MF.
    yep that was the same diner.

somebody i work with is CONVINCED that mike's house is next door to the place jesse lived in season 2 (when his gf overdosed in his bed while walt watched). i didn't pay attention that closely. anyone else see this?
    Then why did Mike have to drive there to help with the OD?
    Yeah, I don't buy that. I remember Mike pulling up to the house and getting out of a car when he got there to take care of the Jane situation.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I liked this episode. A little slower than the rest but we do need some back story info. I wonder if Saul's brother started with his shit when Jimmy left the practice. Could he possibly be pulling a Slipping Jimmy on everyone?

Wait, are you saying that Jimmy worked for the firm that his brother is partner in? I didn't pick up on that, but maybe I missed it.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

JK_Livin said:

samjam said:

First weak episode in my opinion. Looking forward to a little more back story on Mike next week.

Agreed. Happy it ended well, though, and the scenes from the next episode look great. So really looking forward to next week. I love the character of Mike!

i thought it was a good episode. sure there was filler, albeit funny stuff "yeah that's it. fill me up conner!" haha......the scenes with his brother were great. and the last 10 minutes that featured mike were outstanding. i think the show pivots here to their relationship and saul/jimmy defending him in court for whatever he did.

The episode was a little bit all over the place, but I still enjoyed it. I'm glad that they are finally going to start getting into Mike's story and how the relationship with him and Jimmy really got started.

Also, the diner that they showed Mike sitting in at the end was used in Breaking Bad before but I can't figure out which episode! Anyone else pick up on that?
    I noticed that with the diner, too! Was it where Todd met with his uncles once in the last season? Can't exactly put my finger on it either.
    I can't remember either. Was it where Walt met with the corporate lady, can't remember her name. She was paranoid like a MF.
    yep that was the same diner.

somebody i work with is CONVINCED that mike's house is next door to the place jesse lived in season 2 (when his gf overdosed in his bed while walt watched). i didn't pay attention that closely. anyone else see this?
    Then why did Mike have to drive there to help with the OD?
    Yeah, I don't buy that. I remember Mike pulling up to the house and getting out of a car when he got there to take care of the Jane situation.
    Just went back and looked. Definitely not next door. The house Jane lived in was a side by side townhouse style. Mike's neighbor looks like a single front door. God I need a life.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Wait, are you saying that Jimmy worked for the firm that his brother is partner in? I didn't pick up on that, but maybe I missed it.
    I'm pretty sure I heard that. He wasn't a partner though.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    It definitely crossed my mind that jimmys brother could be faking this whole thing just to get his brother on the right track. Especially after he got up and said "the coffee isn't going to make itself."
  • Options

It definitely crossed my mind that jimmys brother could be faking this whole thing just to get his brother on the right track. Especially after he got up and said "the coffee isn't going to make itself."

and how he reacted tom the Dr. and the bed trick.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    yeah i thought there was something to the "coffee isn't going to make itself" thing...seemed a little off
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I never got the impression that Jimmy worked with his brother at all.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

I'm still wondering what that broad and saul have going on. Didn't Mike say in BB he got in trouble for shooting a guy while he was a cop?

Isn't that exactly the same way he got arrested in Breaking Bad, near the end? I felt like I had seen that before.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    Maybe not a lot of Saul in the episode, but right on par with the top Breaking Bad episodes.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited March 2015

Maybe not a lot of Saul in the episode, but right on par with the top Breaking Bad episodes.

Really good, solid story telling. If I had to be picky about anything, I'd say Mike's daughter over-acted the first scene at her house. But yeah, I liked it alot.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just a fantastic episode with stellar acting by Jonathan Banks.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Agreed. I really liked what he brought to BB in the later seasons and should be a big part of this show's success.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983

Agreed. I really liked what he brought to BB in the later seasons and should be a big part of this show's success.
    yeah not much from Saul but i enjoyed this episode very much.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Great episode. Nice to finally get the full story with Mike and what happened in Philly. I'm assuming that he will eventually take up that vet on his offer for some work....perhaps for a chicken man???
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    downloading now
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Had to record yesterday's Mike episode, and won't get to watch til tomorrow, but SO very excited. The reviews have been awesome, and Mike is easily one of my favorite BB/Saul characters. Jonathan Banks deserves an Emmy for his acting!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Just watched last night's episode. Wow! That brought me back to the Breaking Bad days! Such incredible writing and acting. Can't wait to see what happens next!
  • Options
    samjam said:

Had to record yesterday's Mike episode, and won't get to watch til tomorrow, but SO very excited. The reviews have been awesome, and Mike is easily one of my favorite BB/Saul characters. Jonathan Banks deserves an Emmy for his acting!

After the episode I saw a lot of people saying just give him the Emmy now, and things along that line. He nailed it. I hope this becomes part of Better Call Saul, the occasional episode focused on other characters.

I honestly don't know how Walking Dead is the biggest show on AMC. Goes to show ratings and popularity don't add up to quality.
  • Options

samjam said:

After the episode I saw a lot of people saying just give him the Emmy now, and things along that line. He nailed it. I hope this becomes part of Better Call Saul, the occasional episode focused on other characters.

I honestly don't know how Walking Dead is the biggest show on AMC. Goes to show ratings and popularity don't add up to quality.
    Agreed, walking dead is not very good.
  • Options
    Last episode was very slow. And predictable. This show needs to speed things up some.
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738

Last episode was very slow. And predictable. This show needs to speed things up some.

I thought this too, but i did appreciate the background on Mike. I do think to "compete" with its predecessor it's gonna have to start ramping up with some crazy stuff mixed in a bit. And BB was so good at mixing in cool music tracks, I hope Saul can live up to BB.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341

huh? i think if you can't appreciate this week's episode, this show may not be for you....
    ---

what a phenomenal episode. i think it ranks up there with some of break bad's best episodes.

who know mike had those acting chops?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Finally got caught up on the Mike episode, and it was just incredible and flawlessly acted as everyone has been saying!

Does anyone else listen to the Better Call Saul podcast? I've been really enjoying it lately, gives some cool insight into the show from all different perspectives.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options

You do know the show is a prequel, so for the most part we know what happens. Why Mike broke into the cop car was an unknown, but Mike baiting those cops, I think everyone knew he was just pretending to be drunk. Mike is smooth like that.

The episode just gave a better understanding of who Mike is, since his past in BB wasn't talked about. He was an ex-cop from Philly, that's about all we knew about Mike before. Now we know how/why he headed up in ABQ.
  • Options
    Yes, I know it is a prequel. To me, they made it seem as though we should have been surprised that Mike killed those cops. I like how the show was made. It definitely has the BB feel. It was just too slow.
  • Options

You do know the show is a prequel, so for the most part we know what happens. Why Mike broke into the cop car was an unknown, but Mike baiting those cops, I think everyone knew he was just pretending to be drunk. Mike is smooth like that.

The episode just gave a better understanding of who Mike is, since his past in BB wasn't talked about. He was an ex-cop from Philly, that's about all we knew about Mike before. Now we know how/why he headed up in ABQ.
    yeah i don't get why he broke into the car. I thought he might try and rig it so it would blow up or something. Did he take a gun?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

yeah i don't get why he broke into the car. I thought he might try and rig it so it would blow up or something. Did he take a gun?
    He planted a gun knowing that the cops would take his personal gun.
  • Options

He planted a gun knowing that the cops would take his personal gun.
    i was close, knew it had to do with the extra gun, hehe.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD