Michael Moore proving once again...

cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
edited January 2015 in A Moving Train
hippiemom = goodness
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I read this earlier and just shook my head.

He lost my respect quite awhile ago anyway, so I don't put much stock in his views.
  • Options
    He just really loves to be talked about I guess.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    War fucking sucks no matter what. We should have never ever ever gone into Iraq at all, because the vacuum it created left it prime real estate for the really sick and deranged groups that are set on killing as many Americans as possible. What we created there was so much worse than what existed prior to. Unfortunately there are no "rules" when it comes to how your enemy may kill you or the people you are with. If Michael Moore thinks being a sniper is "cowardly", I'd be curious to know if he thinks being some phuckstick that hides off in the distance and sets off a roadside bomb is of equal or greater cowardice? Or how about the ones who use women and kids to trick and then kill themselves along with any Americans that are around them. Utilizing snipers has been a common and effective tactic since before the Civil War...it's nothing new. It's pretty evident in the book that Chris Kyle, I hate to say that he took "pleasure" in killing the enemy, but there was a huge measure of satisfaction. Not from the standpoint of being a sadistic asshole who liked killing people, but because for every one of those guys he killed, he saw it as him saving and helping to protect the men he was fighting with.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Well, I guess I'm gonna get shit on for saying this, but typical of America, we celebrate ace killers more than peacemakers.

OK, so fuck me for saying that. I'm sticking to it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I don't see it as revering one over the other (why would or should we?), but to call them cowards...well, as said earlier, Moore doesn't carry much credence with me.

And good post, Shawshank.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    What was Seth Rogan talking about?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh: Twin demons of the left and the right.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    brianlux wrote: »
    Well, I guess I'm gonna get shit on for saying this, but typical of America, we celebrate ace killers more than peacemakers.

I completely agree with you Brian. On a day we recognize a person for promoting peace and standing up to injustice, we get to discuss the heroism of killing for the sake of being on the "right" side. WTF?
  • Options

I completely agree with you Brian. On a day we recognize a person for promoting peace and standing up to injustice, we get to discuss the heroism of killing for the sake of being on the "right" side. WTF?

It's just a movie. Based on a person's account of what he went through.

I'm not giving you shit Brian. I am guessing there are movies about peacemakers, I just can't think of any on the spot.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760

Thanks, bsL12.

I should probably apologize for my shitty attitude but here it is, MLK day, and the first thing that pops up on AMT on my screen today is a thread referring to another man (no, I'm not comparing Moore to MLK) who promotes peace as a "blowhard asshat" (forum Guildline# 3: "There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.")

It is so typically American to put our hired killers on a pedestal. To do so today of all days just seems wrong to me. Not dis-allowable, but at the very least, disrespectful.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Fine, I'll wait till tomorrow to criticize Moore :-D

C'mon...similar and worse terms have been used about a slew of others. Not sure why this is so different.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    one nation's hero is another nation's terrorist.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I don't give a fuck if I get flamed for this but a sniper IS a fucken coward.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    I don't give a fuck if I get flamed for this but a sniper IS a fucken coward.

I feel the same.
  • Options
    Figured I see these responses here. Interesting that most are ok with a self-centered piece of shit calling a fallen soldier a coward. Very classy, but again he is such a piece if shit I don't know why I'd expect anything less.
    The only thing Michael Moore promotes is himself, don't kid yourselves.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don't think anyone here has been given close to shit for their thinking snipers (all, some, just in general?) lack courage, just as I'd hope those who think differently wouldn't be subjected to the same.

And to reiterate, I put no one on a pedestal. What's the point?
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    You all know that he was protecting the troops on the ground. He was not out there just sniping people for shits and giggles. He was the overwatch for Marines, but I guess that is a coward. Maybe learn what the man did first before you start passing opinions.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Oh please Brian, step off your pedestal. People have said far worse about others here, and I'm not addressing a single poster here.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I'm not giving you shit Brian. I am guessing there are movies about peacemakers, I just can't think of any on the spot.

Uh, it's a real story, not "just a movie".

http://www.people.com/article/american-sniper-chris-kyle-story-behind-bradley-cooper-role

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2015
    Oh please Brian, step off your pedestal. People have said far worse about others here, and I'm not addressing a single poster here.

Way to have respect for a day observed nationally to honor a man to have made a difference in the name of PEACE and rights for everyone. THAT'S what Brian is talking about. He's on no pedestal, you must be merely in need to point a finger somewhere, and you were told how it is.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    I posed a question in my reply above, but since Michael Moore can't answer, I'm curious as to what those who despise Chris Kyle in here feel. Is he any more or less a "coward" than those hiding in the shadows setting off roadside bombs, or those who use women and children to kill Americans?

It's painfully obvious that those who think he was a coward have no fucking clue what else he did. Sniping was only one component of his service during those tours, it just happened to be he was very good at it, so it gets the most attention. He also had no problems running point going door-to-door in shit holes that were laden with insurgents. Ya...no thanks.

As he states multiple times in his book...he doesn't support nor necessarily condemn being in Iraq. His job...as he saw it...was to serve his country when called and protect the men he was fighting with...those that volunteered to be put into harms way. And for any of you who think you can just say "fuck it...I refuse to fight" that is much easier said than done when you have the luxury of not facing that situation.
  • Options
    And as a side note...I actually like the work Michael Moore does. I've watched all of his docs multiple times and I don't know that there's one I don't really like. I just happen to disagree with him on this topic is all.
  • Options
    as against war as I am, I had never before considered a sniper as a coward. he's just there doing his job. he is taking out the enemy by any means necessary. I mean, as long as he isn't taking out civilians or kids, then since when is there rules to war? is there a standard of ethics in combat that you have to be visible to your enemy to kill them? what makes a sniper any different than a guy lobbing a grenade?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    also, keep in mind that he is speaking from an incredibly biased place. his uncle was killed by one. so of course he's going to say that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2015
    After reading a little about Chris Kyle, I admit now that I spoke too fast when I said he was a coward. However, as someone else said earlier, "War is ugly". There is no draft, there's no one joining the military against their own will. You sign up for it. I choose to never be a part of that. That's the difference. I will never choose to use a deadly weapon as a part of my job. Chris did. From the link I posted above.
    "There's an inaccurate stereotype of these guys, that they love war," says Taya. "I can promise you, they don't love war. But they do love that fight for what they would say is justice for each other."

They may not love war, but they certainly didn't join the military to spread peace.If soldiers feel that justice includes killing another being, that, I can assure anyone, that the word justice, in my vocabulary, will never involve killing another man. And that's what makes him and me different. Especially on a day of peace like today, MLK,Jr. Day.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

Uh, it's a real story, not "just a movie".

http://www.people.com/article/american-sniper-chris-kyle-story-behind-bradley-cooper-role

Yes, it's a story based on a book written by that guy. I'm sure the number of kills is accurate, but it's hollywood, a lot of what is portrayed is not.

I do not think a sniper is a coward. It's part of war. As ugly and horrendous as war is, I'd rather have the best snipers covering my back. It's war. What's the difference how you kill the other side? Are people that throw grenades cowards as well? Or use machine guns? Snipers save lives.

On a side note, I thought the movie was excellent.
  • Options
    “War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace.” - Thoman Mann
  • Options
    Snipers save lives.
    Don't kid yourself. Snipers kill.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    edited January 2015
    I actually think it is this tweet that proves what an "asshat" Michael Moore is:

Don't like snipers? Fine. Have problems with the film? Also fine. Just don't pretend you weren't referencing Chris Kyle with your earlier tweets. That may be factually correct but it is intellectually dishonest, and that is why Moore deserves much of the contempt so many of us feel for him. He is no better than Limbaugh.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Snipers save lives.
    Don't kid yourself. Snipers kill.

I'm not at all kidding myself. Of course they kill people. And for every person they kill, they save countless lives. That guy the sniper takes out could have went on to kill countless americans.
This discussion has been closed.