Options

How does your Pono sound?

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited November 2014 in The Porch
Like a lot of others, I am very interested in the sound of these new devices. I thought this would be a great thread to talk about the sound. So please leave "Signature", "Shipping" discussions in other threads. What we want to know about in this thread is the sound.

So, I will begin with the a couple questions.

1) How many Pono owners will rebuy a lot of music in 24 bit, to take advantage of the player. Or will they just use it as a 16/44.1 player? $20 an album for 24 bit music that one already owns will be an expensive investment.

2) I would love an A/B comparison between an 16/44.1 ALAC played through an ipod and 16/44.1 ALAC played through the Pono. Because anyone that has listened to well mastered 24 bit knows..they sound great....but I would love to hear comparison reviews of 16/44.1.

Please post your thoughts and reviews on the sound of the Pono.
Post edited by MedozK on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    What's a Pono?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'm really interested to hear how the PONO sounds too...
    I'd also like to know what headphones you are using to listen to music on the PONO!!
    I love my Sennheiser Momentums and it looked like these were featured in a few of the pictures I saw posted for the PONO!!
    Thanks in advance & looking forward to hearing your feedback!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    on2legs said:

What's a Pono?

It's a high-resolution portable digital music player. The Pono player supports playback of high-fidelity audio of up to 192kHz/24 bit resolution. Pono's stated aims—to present songs "as they first sound during studio recording sessions", using "high-resolution" 24-bit 192kHz audio instead of "the compressed audio inferiority that MP3s offer".

The official site...
    https://ponomusic.force.com/

George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Rip those PJ vinyls and slap those suckers on your pono device. Best possible digital sound you are going to find.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    If they sound like they garner attention on the forum here, we're in for a shit storm of washed-out mixed reviews.
    Does anyone here bongos on "Of The Girl" by the way? I'm currently being fucked in the brain by a man named J. Time to head over to AET I suppose, where I can ruffle a few pillows and calm some heads.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

No one's gonna open it :)
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

No one's gonna open it :)

It seems like that is the case so far.
  • Options
    What is the point of paying that much money to have it sit on your shelf? You gonna hand it down to your kids so they can pay for college? Please. ;)
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Ordered mine on day 2 and still hasn't arrived. And will be opened upon arrival although I didn't get the PJ (or any other artist) signature edition. Very anxious to test drive it.
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    I got the PJ limited version will open it and use it the day I get it. Just like I did with my singles box. Got delivery notice Sunday so should be any day. Upgraded my car stereo system just for the pono and plan to test cd vs pono of same studio album song of a few genres of music the first day or so. I hope to report my experience by the weekend
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im wondering how it compares to the other HighRes players out there. Its not the first of its kind but it might end up the most popular (in an unpopular market)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited November 2014
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I have read some reviews from experts and the reviews have been very positive as far as sound quality goes. Not so good when it comes to that bulky design (which is what made me not buy one during the Kickstart campaign ... although I'm regretting it a bit now). I also read a review where they listened to it using super awesome high end head phones and cheaper ear buds, and the sound quality is supposedly noticeably superior even through the ear buds. That's what I read, anyway. Sounds good so far!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    a fairly recent hands-on review -
    http://www.whathifi.com/pono/ponoplayer/review
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    MedozK said:

Like a lot of others, I am very interested in the sound of these new devices. I thought this would be a great thread to talk about the sound. So please leave "Signature", "Shipping" discussions in other threads. What we want to know about in this thread is the sound.

So, I will begin with the a couple questions.

1) How many Pono owners will rebuy a lot of music in 24 bit, to take advantage of the player. Or will they just use it as a 16/44.1 player? $20 an album for 24 bit music that one already owns will be an expensive investment.

2) I would love an A/B comparison between an 16/44.1 ALAC played through an ipod and 16/44.1 ALAC played through the Pono. Because anyone that has listened to well mastered 24 bit knows..they sound great....but I would love to hear comparison reviews of 16/44.1.

Please post your thoughts and reviews on the sound of the Pono.

was a really good read,

unfortunately a lot of what is said is lost on me, but the underlying message is loud and clear.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Very good read, Thanks.
  • Options
    I also have talked extensively with a friend of mine who has 2 degrees in electrical engineering and computer science about that article. He was a big reason why I am not certain I'll ever get one - even though my first foray into HD audio (with a PJ bootleg) I got really excited because I could tell a difference with playback through iTunes and a good pair of cans.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I simply look at it this way. This thing is marketed towards kids. The ones who grew up on and still listen to shitty mp3s - and for those that exclusively use their phones and crap computer speakers for their playback. For us audio nerds, there isn't much of an upgrade since some of us grew up listening to analog recordings, tapes and CDs, which were not digitized in playback formats.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    They can break it down all they want in to technical terms.
    I know what I hear when I put a vinyl record on vs. the CD version.
    listen to NY and Crazy Horse.. Live Rust on both formats and then they can shove their sine wave science up their rear-end.
    Hope that PONO captures that for digital.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I suspect this thing will be cool. It was designed by Ayre and uses Ayre parts. They are a very much respected manufacturer in the audiophile community.
  • Options
    Just checked on the Pono website community to see if there was any mention but that article is older than that site being set up so it isn't discussed. Interesting though, has the author posted something since now the player's exist and have been used?
    Personally I'd been waiting for Pono to finally upgrade to a digital player, having drunk the Neil Young kool-aid probably, and am really happy to have by far the best sounding music I've heard with the normal $25 headphones I use.
  • Options

Just checked on the Pono website community to see if there was any mention but that article is older than that site being set up so it isn't discussed. Interesting though, has the author posted something since now the player's exist and have been used?
    Personally I'd been waiting for Pono to finally upgrade to a digital player, having drunk the Neil Young kool-aid probably, and am really happy to have by far the best sounding music I've heard with the normal $25 headphones I use.
    Nice.... can't wait to pick mine up.
    You had me cracking up in the other thread.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

I simply look at it this way. This thing is marketed towards kids. The ones who grew up on and still listen to shitty mp3s - and for those that exclusively use their phones and crap computer speakers for their playback. For us audio nerds, there isn't much of an upgrade since some of us grew up listening to analog recordings, tapes and CDs, which were not digitized in playback formats.

FYI... CD's are digitized
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

FYI... CD's are digitized
    Yes, I know. I'm taking about the playback format. FLAC, mp3, etc., etc.,
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I think if kids are the target market this thing will be a colossal failure. Like you mentioned... Kids have grown up on mp3's and listening to music on the computer. They've also grown up on 99 cent songs and downloading music for free. They like playing Angry Birds for free. I don't see many kids deciding that they need to buy a $400 device and start paying $20 plus for an entire album when all they want is one or two songs.

To me... this thing is clearly marketed towards people in their 30s and up who have been exposed to analog recordings in the past and have the disposable income to pay for the luxury of HD music.

I think aiming this thing at kids would be a mega failure.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    I'm guessing when they came out with this they figured if ppl are willing to pay $200-$300 for headphones, spending that on a superior playback device would be easy.

Only issue will be the amount it costs to actually buy the albums for it.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I think if kids are the target market this thing will be a colossal failure. Like you mentioned... Kids have grown up on mp3's and listening to music on the computer. They've also grown up on 99 cent songs and downloading music for free. They like playing Angry Birds for free. I don't see many kids deciding that they need to buy a $400 device and start paying $20 plus for an entire album when all they want is one or two songs.

To me... this thing is clearly marketed towards people in their 30s and up who have been exposed to analog recordings in the past and have the disposable income to pay for the luxury of HD music.

I think aiming this thing at kids would be a mega failure.
    Yeah. I fit your description except maybe the disposable income part
    I threw down because I have never owned an IPOD
    and was waiting on something that could play FLAC.
    afraid that targeting the youngsters will fall flat....
    as for disposable income...
    just checked the Bay and two NY PONOs sold for over $1100.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I read that article when it was published. It didn't have any impact. For me the argument whether or not to fund this was always, "Here is a digital music player for $300 with better components than an ipod or cellphone that can easily handle any file type and has expandable memory."

Either that appeals to you or it doesn't. Pono's marketing or those disputing their claims don't really need to enter the debate.
  • Options
    I think if you are an uber Pearl Jam collector buying the PJ signature model was a good move if you can spare the cash.

If you are looking for a portable player capable of playing high quality digital files, I would wait for a later generation of these players. They will surely improve the design and portability in the next couple years.

• Options
    It is gonna be marketed for audiophiles and I assume 30 somethings will be the youngest users.
    Probably more from the Hippie generation who have spare money because they had to become lawyers, doctors and whatnot after having all those Free Love kids.
    Surely Pono will be ineffective with the way modern music is recorded anyway and the point is if there is enough demand older music will get released in a digital format currently unavailable that is far better than how we can currently hear it?