Options

How does your Pono sound?

Comments

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I haven't got my Pono yet, but I just ordered like new Sennheiser HD700 headphones from their outlet site. Shelled out little over $500 for these puppies but hoping they sound better than my Bose ones. Retail was like $750-800 I think. Better priced than the top shelf HD800's at about $1500. Crazy I'm sure. Wife doesn't know this so I'm good so far. Going to have to accidentally drop my Bose ones or let the kids play with them. :)
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    vaggar99 said:

it would be interesting if someone conducted a 'Pono Challenge' much like the 'Pepsi Challenge' campaign from back in the day. that would be a pretty good indicator as to whether or not this thing has legs.

kind of a blind listening test ?
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

it would be interesting if someone conducted a 'Pono Challenge' much like the 'Pepsi Challenge' campaign from back in the day. that would be a pretty good indicator as to whether or not this thing has legs.

This would be good, however I feel the sampling group would need to be comprised of people with at least a general idea of sound quality. The average buffoon off the street wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and could lend themselves towards skewing results one way or another.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    PP193448 said:

I haven't got my Pono yet, but I just ordered like new Sennheiser HD700 headphones from their outlet site. Shelled out little over $500 for these puppies but hoping they sound better than my Bose ones. Retail was like $750-800 I think. Better priced than the top shelf HD800's at about $1500. Crazy I'm sure. Wife doesn't know this so I'm good so far. Going to have to accidentally drop my Bose ones or let the kids play with them. :)

Man, those are nice.
    Would you mind giving a review when you get them?
    I love Sennheisers and I am thinking about trying out an open-back headphone.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited November 2014
    lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

lolobugg said:

I have only had a chance to listen thru my Sennheisers headphones but I plan on hooking it up to my audio system tonight.

Which Sennheisers are you using. I am contemplating switching from my Bose noise cancelling to a set of Sennheisers.
    Let me check on that and get back to you with the model #
    I think I paid about $300 for them if that gives you an idea.
    They are studio/closed back for sure. kinda regret not going with the open back now but these are pretty solid for the $
    So as best I can tell, I am using Sennheiser HD 280 Pros.
    The price has dropped now to $100. great pair of headphones for someone on a budget.

EDIT: they are actually the HD 380 PRO for $200.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

lolobugg said:

pdalowsky said:

lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

Nice.... can't wait to pick mine up.
    You had me cracking up in the other thread.

Thanks Man - I was getting too frustrated by some people. I keep forgetting the music isn't the important thing for everyone. Fortunately it is for a lot of us.
    MedozK said:

Hopefully this push towards Hi-res music will also push towards better mastering processes. Making something more loud, and taking away from the overall dynamic range is not good...even if its 24 bit.

Yes, that is it. The more Hi-Res players and users, will lead to more HI-Res being bought and so more will be available. I hope.

I find the PJ collector mentality a little weird. I mean I buy my share of merch but I would never buy a sticker because it has "PJ" on it. I think some people bought these just for the autographs.

and also I am hoping to see HD music get popular and hopefully drive some of these prices down. In some cases they are charging the same as the physical product. SACD, vinyl, etc.
    ask yourself if those autographs or the name Pearl Jam wasn't important - why did they even make them? why didn't they just release the black and yellow general ones. Of course people bought them for the branding, that was exactly the idea and attraction
    My point is that I would've bought one eventually anyway.
    I am a fan of HD music whether it's vinyl, SACD, DVD audio, HD FLAC.
    I find it weird that people are buying these with no intention of using them at all.
    Yes, the PJ autographs and the exclusivity of the LE PONO appeals to me and probably helped me justify throwing down the $400 as an early adapter.
    but people focusing strictly on the way the autographs look is weird to me.
    to each his own.

After having said that,
    I can tell you that it sounds amazing.
    Vs., an album that I would say I am "familiar" with, takes on a new life.
    granted, I haven't listen to the remasters but it is night and day from the original CD
    the quieter passages like the acoustic guitar on Daughter sound like Stone was in the room.
    the soundstage is really nice and separated, everything is crisp and you can hear small nuisances that are lost in the compressed formats. pretty much what Neil has been saying. Planning on trying to get the Cincinnati FLAC HD on the player tonight.

I have only had a chance to listen thru my Sennheisers headphones but I plan on hooking it up to my audio system tonight. I wish I had a tube amp unfortunately I only have a tube pre-amp. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off the internal pre-amp and compare the sound thru the tube.
    I will try to give another review soon.

I really don't understand why you would think it weird. Its clearly made as a collectors item, otherwise they wouldn't have ever bothered with the artist series. The signatures were a selling point so of course people bought them for that attribute - otherwise they would have saved $200 and bought the standard version whilst it was on offer at $200.

Some of the artist editions will be kept pristine as a collectors item, much in the way records are (records that most would consider are made to be played), or like a limited edition boxed star wars toy will never get played with.
    Well, some people probably think I am weird for busting open something that I could sell for double the price on Ebay. Sometimes I think I AM crazy too.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    lolobugg said:

pdalowsky said:

lolobugg said:

pdalowsky said:

lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

Nice.... can't wait to pick mine up.
    You had me cracking up in the other thread.

Thanks Man - I was getting too frustrated by some people. I keep forgetting the music isn't the important thing for everyone. Fortunately it is for a lot of us.
    MedozK said:

Hopefully this push towards Hi-res music will also push towards better mastering processes. Making something more loud, and taking away from the overall dynamic range is not good...even if its 24 bit.

Yes, that is it. The more Hi-Res players and users, will lead to more HI-Res being bought and so more will be available. I hope.

I find the PJ collector mentality a little weird. I mean I buy my share of merch but I would never buy a sticker because it has "PJ" on it. I think some people bought these just for the autographs.

and also I am hoping to see HD music get popular and hopefully drive some of these prices down. In some cases they are charging the same as the physical product. SACD, vinyl, etc.
    ask yourself if those autographs or the name Pearl Jam wasn't important - why did they even make them? why didn't they just release the black and yellow general ones. Of course people bought them for the branding, that was exactly the idea and attraction
    My point is that I would've bought one eventually anyway.
    I am a fan of HD music whether it's vinyl, SACD, DVD audio, HD FLAC.
    I find it weird that people are buying these with no intention of using them at all.
    Yes, the PJ autographs and the exclusivity of the LE PONO appeals to me and probably helped me justify throwing down the $400 as an early adapter.
    but people focusing strictly on the way the autographs look is weird to me.
    to each his own.

After having said that,
    I can tell you that it sounds amazing.
    Vs., an album that I would say I am "familiar" with, takes on a new life.
    granted, I haven't listen to the remasters but it is night and day from the original CD
    the quieter passages like the acoustic guitar on Daughter sound like Stone was in the room.
    the soundstage is really nice and separated, everything is crisp and you can hear small nuisances that are lost in the compressed formats. pretty much what Neil has been saying. Planning on trying to get the Cincinnati FLAC HD on the player tonight.

I have only had a chance to listen thru my Sennheisers headphones but I plan on hooking it up to my audio system tonight. I wish I had a tube amp unfortunately I only have a tube pre-amp. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off the internal pre-amp and compare the sound thru the tube.
    I will try to give another review soon.

I really don't understand why you would think it weird. Its clearly made as a collectors item, otherwise they wouldn't have ever bothered with the artist series. The signatures were a selling point so of course people bought them for that attribute - otherwise they would have saved $200 and bought the standard version whilst it was on offer at $200.

Some of the artist editions will be kept pristine as a collectors item, much in the way records are (records that most would consider are made to be played), or like a limited edition boxed star wars toy will never get played with.
    Well, some people probably think I am weird for busting open something that I could sell for double the price on Ebay. Sometimes I think I AM crazy too.
    well I think we might agree on something - screw ebay
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    pdalowsky said:

vaggar99 said:

yeah exactly. I would compare a full quality FLAC played thru a Pono player to a standard quality mp3 played thru a smartphone. something like that.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    lolobugg said:

PP193448 said:

Man, those are nice.
    As soon as my pono gets here, I will compare the Pono to my iPhone 5 with my IPhone ear buds, Bose NC headphones, and soon to be delivered Sennheiser HD700 and give review. Don't know when that would be cause I haven't even got shipping email from Pono. Will also try to plug the Pono into my home theater system and stop by my neighbors house to compare his turntable albums vs Pono. He's got nice system and I don't have a table yet.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

vaggar99 said:

This would be good, however I feel the sampling group would need to be comprised of people with at least a general idea of sound quality. The average buffoon off the street wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and could lend themselves towards skewing results one way or another.
    haha yeah probably true, but thats kind of the point. a seasoned audiophile would probably easily be able to differentiate. But, if this thing is really all that Neil and co. say it is, its got to appeal to the masses. Otherwise, its really going no where in my opinion.

• Options
    fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
    Just got my PJ Pono player. Listening over my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and I'm very happy. I have an extensive vinyl collection and good quality turntable/amplifier setup. The Pono has more clarity and a better feeling of space in the music. Listening to Vs. has ben revelatory. I'm hearing things I have never heard before. One example is a military type chant in the background of WMA. The guitar sounds on all tracks are more vivid and rich than I've ever heard them before. Ed's voice has more texture and on Rats, in particular, sounds completely new. Haven't listened to Lightning Bolt yet but will soon. Funny aside, the Pono album filename is wrong and lists it as "Lighting Bolt" a common misspelling here on the forum and on many PJ Facebook groups.
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Indifference just started playing. Wow! So intense and moody through this player.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    plug it into yo amp!!!
  • Options
    fgalpern said:

Just got my PJ Pono player. Listening over my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and I'm very happy. I have an extensive vinyl collection and good quality turntable/amplifier setup. The Pono has more clarity and a better feeling of space in the music. Listening to Vs. has ben revelatory. I'm hearing things I have never heard before. One example is a military type chant in the background of WMA. The guitar sounds on all tracks are more vivid and rich than I've ever heard them before. Ed's voice has more texture and on Rats, in particular, sounds completely new. Haven't listened to Lightning Bolt yet but will soon. Funny aside, the Pono album filename is wrong and lists it as "Lighting Bolt" a common misspelling here on the forum and on many PJ Facebook groups.

wow. I think we have the same setup.
    your review is almost identical to mine.
    great minds think alike. :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Unfortunately, I'm on crutches so the amp will have to wait until later on. Can't wait for it, though!
  • Options
    Forgive me if this has been covered before or elsewhere, but does anyone in this thread know with certainty if there is a difference between Pono music files and HD Tracks files. I'm trying to figure out where to buy more music for this player.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    fgalpern said:

Forgive me if this has been covered before or elsewhere, but does anyone in this thread know with certainty if there is a difference between Pono music files and HD Tracks files. I'm trying to figure out where to buy more music for this player.

I don't know for sure, but I think they said PONO would give you a free upgrade if it was released in higher res.
    I just saw Wilco SummerTeeth at HDTracks is available in 192/24. holy shit but it's $25. same as the vinyl copy.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2014
    vaggar99 said:

pdalowsky said:

vaggar99 said:

yeah exactly. I would compare a full quality FLAC played thru a Pono player to a standard quality mp3 played thru a smartphone. something like that.
    I would love an A/B comparison between an 16/44.1 ALAC played through an ipod and 16/44.1 ALAC played through the Pono. Because anyone that has listened to well mastered 24 bit knows..they sound great....but I would love to hear comparison reviews of 16/44.1.

I dont think you can compare a lossy mp3 to flac....that would be to easy to hear the difference.
    lolobugg said:

I just saw Wilco SummerTeeth at HDTracks is available in 192/24. holy shit but it's $25. same as the vinyl copy.

That is another problem I could have with buying new HD audio..the cost. IMO, I would rather buy the vinyl then a $25 download.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

vaggar99 said:

pdalowsky said:

vaggar99 said:

I would love an A/B comparison between an 16/44.1 ALAC played through an ipod and 16/44.1 ALAC played through the Pono. Because anyone that has listened to well mastered 24 bit knows..they sound great....but I would love to hear comparison reviews of 16/44.1.

I dont think you can compare a lossy mp3 to flac....that would be to easy to hear the difference.
    I am also going to put some 16/44.1 WAV files on my PONO and a/b it will my old Zune.
    see if the better processors in the PONO makes a difference.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    someday you will get the vinyl and hd download code all in the same package for 25 bucks or so
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

lolobugg said:

PP193448 said:

Man, those are nice.
    As soon as my pono gets here, I will compare the Pono to my iPhone 5 with my IPhone ear buds, Bose NC headphones, and soon to be delivered Sennheiser HD700 and give review. Don't know when that would be cause I haven't even got shipping email from Pono. Will also try to plug the Pono into my home theater system and stop by my neighbors house to compare his turntable albums vs Pono. He's got nice system and I don't have a table yet.
    looking forward to the reviews

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I need to start thinking about somewhere cool and dry to store my FLAC collection. :))

I still honestly think that ALL vinyl purchases should come with a 24 bit download.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,206
    despite having the two pj albums and the neil young track, my first listen on my pono was the recent 24/96 wav files from the pink floyd division bell reissue earlier this year.

i listened to the division bell on headphones (and otherwise) countless times since 1994. i know this album front-to-back. listening to the album on the pono was a new experience. sounds i'd never heard before. a clarity i'd never heard before. separation i'd never heard before.

now that's not saying those things never existed. but i personally had never heard the album like this in all my years of listening to it. in that regard, pono was the difference.

i listened to w.m.a. after my division bell run and there, too, i heard things i'd never heard before.

so, so far my impressions of pono are pretty positive.
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    Does it matter if i buy FLAC HD or ALAC HD if my universe is Mac? Was going to buy ALAC HD but everyone talks about FLAC.... Does the Pono play ALAC HD?
  • Options
    davidos said:

Does it matter if i buy FLAC HD or ALAC HD if my universe is Mac? Was going to buy ALAC HD but everyone talks about FLAC.... Does the Pono play ALAC HD?

Apple's equivalent to FLAC is Apple Lossless (ALAC). They are both the same - lossless, and compressed.
  • Options
    iTunes does not do 24 bit music
  • Options

iTunes does not do 24 bit music

It will play it, but it down samples it to 16 bit.
  • Options
    right, but you can use a newer mac with a different player. I use an app called VOX to play flac and 24 bit music.
  • Options
    AndySlash, that's a compelling review. I hope you are able to listen to an HD version of Floyd's "The Endless River." It should be mindblowing.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    so anyway, if people still care these are the headphones I use with it: Sennheiser HD380 PRO.
    excellent sounding closed-back cans.
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-professional-audio-hd-380-pro

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore