Options

Crowdfunded Pearl Jam! Yes!

Comments

• Options
    Count me OUT..
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Ya have to admit.
    It was a great ORIGINAL IDEA when the Foo fans did this.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited November 2014

Maybe I missed something here.

Who exactly are the people running this?
    Who exactly is asking for your/our money?

Exactly.

And who came up with a million dollars, or was this number pulled out of someone's ass along with the whole idea? Just wondering.
    Yeah, all very good questions.
    It's kind of amazing how willing people are to hand their money over to god knows who on the internet. Let's see some credentials. All I see is that it's some FB group for fans who live in NYC or something. And it's a closed group, supposedly restricted to NYC locals?

Just because the Foo Fighters or whoever did something it doesn't mean PJ should....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Get it up to $999,900 and I'll gladly take part.
  • Options
    I'll say the same here as I said on the FB page..

How do you really calculate though? I'm not saying it to be a smart ass, I just really don't know.
    1 million is a good start I would think.
    I mean, 1 million at least shows we as fans are serious about wanting to make it happen.
    It's worth a shot. Yah, it's a smaller venue, but historic. And only the fans who funded it would be the ones going.
    Not a random lotto for everyone, it's a risk, absolutely.
    may or may not work. but can you imagine if it did work?
    EPIC

67024_10151295353435766_1894726492_n.jpg
    Becki
  • Options
    The website says this:

When is my card charged?

If the project you're backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged.

Can I cancel a pledge?

By pledging, you are committing to supporting that person’s project; cancelling that commitment is discouraged. If you must cancel, visit the project page and click “Manage Your Pledge.”

What if the band don't agree to the crowd funded Show?

We will cancel the project immediately, no credit/debit cards will be charged - what is there to lose? - Nothing!

This is an all or nothing project, it either happens or it doesn't.

What if the band do agree to a crowd funded show?

We will work closely with the management company to make sure everything is arranged and you don't have to worry about a thing. As long as they have said yes, you have a ticket - the date will be confirmed in due course.

When will I know the date of the concert?

Once the project is successful, all further information will be released in due course. You will have secured your ticket so just sit back and relax. If you are unable to make the arranged date, let us know and we will resell your ticket at face value.

What can I expect from the concert if it is successful?

PJ Live in a historic venue! I don't think we need to explain what that could mean!

Why Forest Hills?

Forest Hills offers many conveniences and is extremely close to all mass transportation. It is in a safe amazing area that looks like London England! The venue is historic and some of the bands heroes have played there! This could be amazing! It's time to put this place back on the map as a premier venue. It has gone in disrepair for far too long.

We want PJ, we want another historic destination show, we want it soon!

Where are my seats?

We will be doing tickets in a lottery. 10C or otherwise. Senority does not apply, we are all fans here!

https://pearljam25foresthills.tilt.com/bring-pearl-jam-to-forest-hills-tennis-stadium
    67024_10151295353435766_1894726492_n.jpg
    Becki
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So the venue is in disrepair??

Well, anyway, have fun everyone! Who am I to shoot it down. No one, that's who. ;) Hope it works out for you... and that Pearl Jam don't end up feeling like they HAVE to do it because they'll otherwise look like assholes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    i think the last show i saw there was the B52s and Eurythmics. may have been the last show ever played there before they shut it down for a few decades.

a friend of mine has been to a few shows there since it's reopened, and has not had good things to say about the experience.

just freaking play the garden already.

/rant.
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    So, while I'm not so into this idea, I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of the effort. Silly, naive me!

However, I can see why people would question it, so to whomever who started it, since you were inspired by the Foo Fighters campaign, you might as well take a page out of their book. They very clearly stated who was behind it (full names) and included a contact email address. That would be a good place to start.

https://www.foofightersrichmond.com/help-bring-the-foo-fighters-back-to-richmond-virginia
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    I like the idea and don't have a trust issue with the site.

I would like to wait a few days and see if the band shoots this down quick. You would think if they absolutely wont do it they would cut it off now. I agree that it may put them in an awkward position not only now but in the future.

Would love to see it happen though
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

I like the idea and don't have a trust issue with the site.

I would like to wait a few days and see if the band shoots this down quick. You would think if they absolutely wont do it they would cut it off now. I agree that it may put them in an awkward position not only now but in the future.

Would love to see it happen though

Be a quick trip for us jersey boys!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Yea I think the venue got picked specifically cuz PJ never played there and they're trying to bring that venue back from the dead. The first thing I thought of though was the strict curfew and how that wouldn't work too well. Don't get me wrong I'll be there with bells on if it happens, but like many others have said, I'm conflicted about the whole thing.
    I've never been to the venue, it was shut down before I was born, but I get the impression that it's more of an intimate, casual type thing than msg or Barclays. I think it was kings of Leon that brought it back, and since them I think it's only been one or two other shows. They REALLY don't like them having shows over there. Does anyone actually know the neighborhood? It's like a private community type thing - completely different world just a couple blocks off Austin street & queens Blvd.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    While I appreciate the historical aspect, I'd be much more stoked if the proposed venue was Red Rocks or the Gorge!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited November 2014
    Suziemay said:

So, while I'm not so into this idea, I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of the effort. Silly, naive me!

However, I can see why people would question it, so to whomever who started it, since you were inspired by the Foo Fighters campaign, you might as well take a page out of their book. They very clearly stated who was behind it (full names) and included a contact email address. That would be a good place to start.

https://www.foofightersrichmond.com/help-bring-the-foo-fighters-back-to-richmond-virginia

Agreed. The way it is conducted right now seems a little fishy. Yes, PJ fans have often proven that they throw with money as long as it has something to do with PJ. And an $80 pledge might not mean the world (at least when you are not tour broke :\"> ). But I would be completely pissed if I joined and then some random due ran away with all that money. Also, what people say about the venue does not sound super promising either. What do I know. Very odd.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Maybe I missed something here.

Who exactly are the people running this?
    Who exactly is asking for your/our money?

Exactly.
    exactly

Exactly!!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I dunno if you guys can see what's going on in the facebook groups but it's not pretty...
  • Options

I dunno if you guys can see what's going on in the facebook groups but it's not pretty...

No one here likes to be with f*tard
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

No one here likes to be with f*tard
    ?
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    He/ she means fbook ;) I think the idea behind the whole thing is cool. But in my opinion it lacks in the execution department. The fan base is big and we all want shows. Why can't people combine their ideas, knowledge and efforts, is this a power battle? Was the FF thing also accompanied by so much drama?
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of credit cards were charged which isn't what was said. Poorly handled and executed. Glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon. Once I saw the inability of the planner to answer legitimate questions posted respectfully, I was out. Sad, as I want to believe the intent was good but not thought through very well at all.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    It seems to me that the person with this idea has discovered that PJ fans are a generous and rather gullible group.

If an organization like Wishlist (which has been around for a while) was running this, my impression would be different but we don't know who these people are. They could be strangers on the street saying, "Ppsstt, hey buddy, I'm gonna bring Pearl Jam to NY. Can you give me some cash?!"

LOL!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just mailed them out a blank check......
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Just mailed them out a blank check......

Signed facebook of course
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Well it's not nasty. I think people are just asking some tough questions that have to be asked. I could be wrong, but I'm imagining that the people who decided to start this did so with very good intentions, and possibly imagined that it would be like a big PJ love fest, where everyone would jump on board with almost no questions asked. Obviously that's not what's happening. A lot of people want/require way more details than the planners seem willing or able to divulge publicly from the start. I have to assume this is because they actually didn't have a truly solid plan before trying to collect the funds... otherwise I can't imagine why they wouldn't have provided the details from the start. So yeah, not very well executed. Sounds like people who have done this for other bands were more open with the details from the beginning.

The other flaw might be the choice of venues. I read above that the place is in some state of disrepair, that the curfew is WAY too early for a band like Pearl Jam, who tend to play well beyond 11:00 on a regular basis, and is apparently such an undesirable venue that no one ever plays there even when people are trying to make it happen. It's almost like the venue was chosen on the specifically for its failure to succeed as a music venue, lol. That doesn't seem like the greatest idea to me.

And then there is the imposition on Pearl Jam factor. I truly hope that PJ's reaction to this plan and to the proposed venue is positive... and not that they hear about this (maybe they already have) and think, "Oh fuck. Seriously?? They want us to play where?? When do they want us to do that?? How in the fuck are we going to work that into all of our schedules?" Perhaps they'll like the idea... it is something that brought some pretty positive publicity to The Foo Fighters.... it's also something that seems to be turning into a new way for fans to make unreasonable and presumptive demands of their favorite bands. So I dunno. Could go either way.

But hey, good luck to those trying to do it. I wouodn't go all the way out there unless it was MSG or Yankee Stadium or something, so i'm just a curious voyeur. I am inerested to see how it all.pans out. It's pretty clear that it's going to be an uphill battle and a lot of PR for the planners, judging from the initial reaction!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well it's not nasty. I think people are just asking some tough questions that have to be asked. I could be wrong, but I'm imagining that the people who decided to start this did so with very good intentions, and possibly imagined that it would be like a big PJ love fest, where everyone would jump on board with almost no questions asked. Obviously that's not what's happening. A lot of people want/require way more details than the planners seem willing or able to divulge publicly from the start. I have to assume this is because they actually didn't have a truly solid plan before trying to collect the funds... otherwise I can't imagine why they wouldn't have provided the details from the start. So yeah, not very well executed. Sounds like people who have done this for other bands were more open with the details from the beginning.

The other flaw might be the choice of venues. I read above that the place is in some state of disrepair, that the curfew is WAY too early for a band like Pearl Jam, who tend to play well beyond 11:00 on a regular basis, and is apparently such an undesirable venue that no one ever plays there even when people are trying to make it happen. It's almost like the venue was chosen on the specifically for its failure to succeed as a music venue, lol. That doesn't seem like the greatest idea to me.

And then there is the imposition on Pearl Jam factor. I truly hope that PJ's reaction to this plan and to the proposed venue is positive... and not that they hear about this (maybe they already have) and think, "Oh fuck. Seriously?? They want us to play where?? When do they want us to do that?? How in the fuck are we going to work that into all of our schedules?" Perhaps they'll like the idea... it is something that brought some pretty positive publicity to The Foo Fighters.... it's also something that seems to be turning into a new way for fans to make unreasonable and presumptive demands of their favorite bands. So I dunno. Could go either way.

But hey, good luck to those trying to do it. I wouodn't go all the way out there unless it was MSG or Yankee Stadium or something, so i'm just a curious voyeur. I am inerested to see how it all.pans out. It's pretty clear that it's going to be an uphill battle and a lot of PR for the planners, judging from the initial reaction!
    It would be so much easier if they played Regina 2015
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,807
    edited November 2014

Sounds like a lot of credit cards were charged which isn't what was said. Poorly handled and executed. Glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon. Once I saw the inability of the planner to answer legitimate questions posted respectfully, I was out. Sad, as I want to believe the intent was good but not thought through very well at all.

credit cards were charged?

I'm shocked!

:))

What happened to no credit cards will be charged?
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889

Let's leave the Facebook clan to themselves.. Most of them complained about being here cause of the new format, etc, yet still hover around... Let them stay there and deal with their own created shit in the Facebook world. Let's keep the PJ world here drama free (if that's somewhat possible).. PJ4LIFE.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

It would be so much easier if they played Regina 2015
    Haha. Way cheaper too!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Yep - im in the undecided group too.

Lets just assume the band intended to take next summer off or even next year - that they have other plans already in place with their solo projects, families, charity work, who knows what else......and they had earmarked that time away from PJ to rest and take stock of everything. Whilst they may not tour extensively and all that that is their decision to make, and when they do tour, they play shows like no other.

So then the fans start a petition/demand via public funding to play a show exactly where they want it. That definitely puts the band in a weird position. turn it down and get bad PR or play the show and upset their own plans to save face. Hardly conducive to a great show if that was the case. Of course they are professional and would never let that be the case, but you get the point.

Yes the Foos have done it but that doesn't mean everyone should, Dave is very much a crowd pleaser it seems, and has new music on the horizon....it all makes sense there. I just wouldn't want to create the position that the band feel forced into doing shows.

As someone said if someone sounded out Curtis, Vandenberg or the Tenc to get a handle on the possibility of this being received positively if demand was there then great, all systems go. But if it was started cold with no such feedback I just don't think that's too smart. However if the band come out and back the campaign, everything changes

I noticed earlier comments that Wishlist are also about to release their own show crowdfund for a show at the Gorge? now one can possibly assume that when you have the wishlist doing just this same thing that they would have sounded it out first via their channels to the band and their people. So at least that suggests that these may well be received nicely......but lets wait and see on that
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    and yes the facebook side of this is a complete shit show. arguing, bickering, name calling and drama galore. Talk about uniting fans, in this fan base that seems impossible these days. Too many egos and too many people willing to be disrespectful to one another. There isn't a day goes by on the facebook groups that a thread isn't derailed and soon enough deleted.

I think it shows that the mods here do a great job of keeping things civil and on topic mostly.
This discussion has been closed.