Options

Crowdfunded Pearl Jam! Yes!

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    pdalowsky said:

Seems most folk here agree that it would be better to sit back and let the band make their own plans, you know like they always have.

Paul, I don't know if that's meant to be a snide comment or an honest one... but I will say this:

How would you feel if someone was planning your life and business for you? (apart from your wife ;) )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    pdalowsky said:

Seems most folk here agree that it would be better to sit back and let the band make their own plans, you know like they always have.

I fully agree with this. Furthermore, I think the band is confident enough in themselves is that they will indeed make their own plans. They have been pretty straightforward about what they will and won't do over the years, pretty much never just following conventional wisdom for the sake of following it. I guess what I am saying is I really don't think they will be "guilted in" to doing anything they don't want to do. Yeah crowdsourcing is dumb for a couple of reasons (IMO of course), but I am not terribly worried about the angle that PJ will be forced to do something they don't want to do. They're a pretty honest group of guys and I give them credit that they would be fine declining something they don't want to do.

I think the quote from the PJ20 movie was something like "we learned the word no". No reason to think they have forgotten it.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    ckravitz said:

pdalowsky said:

I fully agree with this. Furthermore, I think the band is confident enough in themselves is that they will indeed make their own plans. They have been pretty straightforward about what they will and won't do over the years, pretty much never just following conventional wisdom for the sake of following it. I guess what I am saying is I really don't think they will be "guilted in" to doing anything they don't want to do. Yeah crowdsourcing is dumb for a couple of reasons (IMO of course), but I am not terribly worried about the angle that PJ will be forced to do something they don't want to do. They're a pretty honest group of guys and I give them credit that they would be fine declining something they don't want to do.

I think the quote from the PJ20 movie was something like "we learned the word no". No reason to think they have forgotten it.
    I hope you are right.
    Just seems like they are pretty tight with the Wishlist Foundation....
    might make for some weird tension....
    either way- I have my popcorn ready.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Just like tamborines, things escalate quickly. Ed throws a couple tamborines out and now parents are bringing their kids to concerts to get a tamborine. Pushing their kids down the aisle close to the stage to catch Ed's eye.

I have seen Ed get a tamborine, not even use it in a song (think it was Ledbetter) and give it to someone in the front row. I thought was funny and odd, like "this is the point in the show where I hand out tamborines".

Anyway, the Wishlist thing is great where they have fundraisers before the shows but I think at some point you can go to far with something and ruin it. It is the same thing with people wanting to meet the band. It isn't enough to meet them once, you have to try to keep running into them.

I would be concerned to become an annoyance versus a fan.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,723
    shep said:

pdalowsky said:

Paul, I don't know if that's meant to be a snide comment or an honest one... but I will say this:

How would you feel if someone was planning your life and business for you? (apart from your wife ;) )
    Oh no not remotely snide, deadly serious. Im firmly on the train that we should let the band plan their own commitments, and take them as they come. We can hope and request shows freely on the boards, but to start a fund to try and coerce one is im my mind going way too far.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    agreed, Paul.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited November 2014

Just like tamborines, things escalate quickly. Ed throws a couple tamborines out and now parents are bringing their kids to concerts to get a tamborine. Pushing their kids down the aisle close to the stage to catch Ed's eye.

I have seen Ed get a tamborine, not even use it in a song (think it was Ledbetter) and give it to someone in the front row. I thought was funny and odd, like "this is the point in the show where I hand out tamborines".

Anyway, the Wishlist thing is great where they have fundraisers before the shows but I think at some point you can go to far with something and ruin it. It is the same thing with people wanting to meet the band. It isn't enough to meet them once, you have to try to keep running into them.

Good stuff bootlegger, keep the fucken kids IN SCHOOL or with the fucken babysitter. Don't fucken sit here and tell me some fucken 9 year old LOVES pearl jam more then life. Get the fuck out of here. At 9 I was playing GI Joe not standing in a fucken GA line waiting to get into a show to have vedder throw me a tambourine so I can take to show and tell at school, then have EVERYONE in the class ask,"Who the fuck is eddie vedder and what's a pearl jam?" Don't fucken tell me it's for the kid, the "kid" should be doing his homework at "home" not the fucken GA line.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

I am all for MSG.
    No way could I do the Gorge.
    Feel like a lot of people are in the same boat.
    I am sure it is a lovely venue but,
    I remember being in Spokane in 1996
    and my cousin telling me that it was in the middle of nowhere
    too young to rent a car at the time so that was my only chance to see a show there.
    PJ20 was in the middle of the country.
    Washington State is too far away.
    Fuck the gorge!
    What about running water there ?
    You think they got it ?
  • Options
    yellowwho said:

badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

I am all for MSG.
    too young to rent a car at the time so that was my only chance to see a show there.
    Fuck the gorge!
    You think they got it ?
    They def got some kind of liquid running down from the portapoddy (I know I spelled it wrong) to your campsites. Drinkable? I wouldn't suggest it.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    You think they got it ?

They def got some kind of liquid running down from the portapoddy (I know I spelled it wrong) to your campsites. Drinkable? I wouldn't suggest it.

Jesus! :-&
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    badbrains said:

yellowwho said:

badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

I am all for MSG.
    Fuck the gorge!
    You think they got it ?
    Dirty Jerseys got them beat on that at least huh !

You know, that liquid gets filtered as it mixes with the mud running down that hill
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    badbrains said:

Good stuff bootlegger, keep the fucken kids IN SCHOOL or with the fucken babysitter. Don't fucken sit here and tell me some fucken 9 year old LOVES pearl jam more then life. Get the fuck out of here. At 9 I was playing GI Joe not standing in a fucken GA line waiting to get into a show to have vedder throw me a tambourine so I can take to show and tell at school, then have EVERYONE in the class ask,"Who the fuck is eddie vedder and what's a pearl jam?" Don't fucken tell me it's for the kid, the "kid" should be doing his homework at "home" not the fucken GA line.
    =))
    good stuff, Nart.
    I was listening to Milli Vanilli and Paula Abdul
    transformers and GI JOEs

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

=))
    good stuff, Nart.
    I was listening to Milli Vanilli and Paula Abdul
    transformers and GI JOEs
    Oh shit, how can I forget transformers logan! Jesus!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Yep, I was probably building Legos. I have no problem bringing kids to shows (unless they are like 3 years old or something stupid like that), but it is clear that some are bringing their kids to get stuff from the band or get noticed. Otherwise, why would you have a kid in GA?

If it were me and I was in Pearl Jam, I would see this crowdfunding and think, "Man, they never stop." Maybe they think, "That is cool of them to try". Who knows. It just seems that more and more it is less about the music at shows and more about trying to get noticed or have the best spot. Again, count me guilty for making too big a deal about merch.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    badbrains said:

^^ this minus all the F bombs (cause I gotta stop using them with 3 and 4 yo kids at home)
    And minus GI joe. I had Star Wars figures and matchbox cars
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

The venue they are suggesting is in Queens, not Manhattan. like 20-30 minutes from Penn if you get the express.

I've actually looked around the GoFundMe site out of boredom to see some of the things people post on there - it's kind of amazing. I should really start one. My cat needs braces. (knocks on wood.)
    Oh I know where the place is in queens, drive past it all the time on the way to JFK. When I said give me manhattan ANYDAY, I was referring to msg. And that place is in manhattan cuz that's like my home away from home. (Used to have rangers season tix).

See hedonist, I always watch out for us people who aren't to keen on this camping shit. I need a bed, a pillow, shower and shitter, possiblely a tv for when I'm trying to sleep. I don't want a rock for a pillow and a tree for a shitter.

And it's 100% BULLSHIT if wishlist members ALL get tix while us common folks have to go into a lottery. This I CANT SEE THE BAND BEING COOL WITH. No fucken way. But then again, it is VERY odd I see people posting pics of the wishlist parties and same people end up on the rail. How is this even possible? Don't answer it, I already know who, what and how. "Don't you know who i am?" So fuck queens, fuck Seattle, let's have this shindig at msg for ANYONE who wants to attend.
    There are hotels around the Gorge, FYI, with shuttles to the venue in many cases, but others are actually close enough to walk (or hitchhike). You don't have to camp if you don't want to. I sure as hell wouldn't. I like camping, but not when I want to go to a concert. I really want to see them at the Gorge.... but not for a Wishlist crowdsourced show. When the BAND wants to go.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    ckravitz said:

pdalowsky said:

Agree completely with both of you. They tour regularly, why do people suddenly feel they have the need or the right to dictate when or where they play?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    shep said:

so many things I want to say about this, but I'm going to refrain from an essay and just point out a couple of obvious things:

Agree with many that this "crowdfunding" thing is BS. It's basically attempting to strong-arm the band into doing what you want them to do... If someone was attempting to do that to me, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

While I don't support this idea the wishlist has in principle, I'm very conflicted as I have been waiting for a weekend at the gorge forever... I really want to go, but I wish the wishlist would stay the fuck out of it.

I'm going to put this simply: if wishlist gets their way, the whole thing will turn into a debacle and playing favorites. Everyone close to them will likely wind up with the best seats, and other perks. Don't forget that while their intent is raising money for charity, they will take this opportunity to set themselves up for the best seats/views/whatever other perks they can get for their favorite band. the whole thing will turn into a popularity contest. (and I mean no ill will against the wishlist and their work - I applaud them for it - but you're a charity, not a concert promoter).

Finally, I'm in favor of companies that are experts in an area organizing things (i.e. LN/TM) and not people attempting to fumble their way through it with no experience... say what you want about LN/TM, at they know what they're doing... if this gets organized by someone with no experience, get ready for a debacle.

Great points could not agree more , ulterior motives are rampant among us all the fan base !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Give em an inch they'll take a mile. PJ is damned if they do damned if they don't.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

badbrains said:

^^ this minus all the F bombs (cause I gotta stop using them with 3 and 4 yo kids at home)
    And minus GI joe. I had Star Wars figures and matchbox cars
    I was channeling vedder with all the F-bombs. Sorry, sometimes I forget that fuck is a bad word. =))
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    edited November 2014
    pdalowsky said:

shep said:

pdalowsky said:

Oh no not remotely snide, deadly serious. Im firmly on the train that we should let the band plan their own commitments, and take them as they come. We can hope and request shows freely on the boards, but to start a fund to try and coerce one is im my mind going way too far.
    we're on the same page. Sorry. it's hard to interpret sarcasm in the typed form when people use it discreetly. :)

you know... like 95% of the people posting in this thread...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

Well dammed.
    Let me get my check book!

:))

=))
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    asking anything from a band that already gives us so much is not cool. IMO
    song requests not included ;))
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    derbydave said:

I'd DEFINITEY be in for shows at BOTH MSG & The Gorge...
    Hell, throw in Red Rocks while we're talking about hypothetical shows!!!
    Bottom line for me is The Gorge is the most BEAUTIFUL venue I've ever seen,
    and if there's a Pearl Jam show or destination weekend scheduled there,
    I'll do whatever it takes to attend that event!!
    If outdoor shows in nature and camping out under the stars with your friends isn't for you,
    That's good, but this would be pure heaven for me!!
    ;)

With you Dave.

Oh and gorge is a must do. And there are hotels and bathrooms. October perfect time.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    i wuz thinking of getting a new kitchen but i can't make a decision on the colors
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

i wuz thinking of getting a new kitchen but i can't make a decision on the colors

Talk to the guy on the left... image

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i think a crowdfunded EV solo show would be much more attainable...

zero chance PJ ever does this
  • Options
    That's the problem i have with these types of fans never satisfied that the band does tour and gives us the chance at tickets before the general public nope not good enough ...
    Now it comes to this fans dictating when & where they want the band to put on a show as if what they have been doing for 20plus yrs is just not sufficient to me this reeks of entitlement which i wan't no part of ......
  • Options
    edited November 2014

That's the problem i have with these types of fans never satisfied that the band does tour and gives us the chance at tickets before the general public nope not good enough ...
    Now it comes to this fans dictating when & where they want the band to put on a show as if what they have been doing for 20plus yrs is just not sufficient to me this reeks of entitlement which i wan't no part of ......

I agree on the entitlement.

Although Pearl Jam doesn't sell merch, tour, or release music for free so I do think they are a company and we are customers as long as both sides want to keep that relationship going. Granted PJ has a monopoly so we have less sway as customers.
  • Options

I agree on the entitlement.

Although Pearl Jam doesn't sell merch, tour, or release music for free so I do think they are a company and we are customers as long as both sides want to keep that relationship going. Granted PJ has a monopoly so we have less sway as customers.
    yes they are incorporated no doubt ...
This discussion has been closed.