Options

Crowdfunded Pearl Jam! Yes!

Comments

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PJ_Soul said:

ckravitz said:

Western US people yesterday: Crowdsourcing sucks.

Today after Wishlist posting: Crowdsourcing RULZZZ.

:)) I still think crowdsourcing sucks - strong-arming our favorite bands into doing what we want seems pretty shitty to me. But I still want to see them play at the Gorge. ;) But if I had to choose this whole idea would just go away. :-q to crowdsourcing artists.
    Haha, I'm just playing and kind of agree that crowdsourcing is actually goofy. But it does raise the point of how different the music industry is versus pretty much every other industry... only in the music industry would customers (us) feel bad about offering the product provider (a band) money to do what they are in the business of doing!! It would be like feeling bad for gathering up 1 billion dollars and offering it to Microsoft for a new product!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    ckravitz said:

PJ_Soul said:

ckravitz said:

:)) I still think crowdsourcing sucks - strong-arming our favorite bands into doing what we want seems pretty shitty to me. But I still want to see them play at the Gorge. ;) But if I had to choose this whole idea would just go away. :-q to crowdsourcing artists.
    Haha, I'm just playing and kind of agree that crowdsourcing is actually goofy. But it does raise the point of how different the music industry is versus pretty much every other industry... only in the music industry would customers (us) feel bad about offering the product provider (a band) money to do what they are in the business of doing!! It would be like feeling bad for gathering up 1 billion dollars and offering it to Microsoft for a new product!!
    Yes, well of course that is a result of the fact that music is art that people take in on a deeply emotional level, and which the artists offer on a deeply emotional level, and there are specific personalities who we are actually connecting with on a human level when it comes to a band. Not so with faceless corporations!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ckravitz said:

PJ_Soul said:

ckravitz said:

Yes, well of course that is a result of the fact that music is art that people take in on a deeply emotional level, and which the artists offer on a deeply emotional level, and there are specific personalities who we are actually connecting with on a human level when it comes to a band. Not so with faceless corporations!
    Oh no doubt, totally agree, but it's just funny like please take our money!
  • Options
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.
  • Options
    Of course all the Wishlist people and all their friends will automatically get tix. I'd say that's a given.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,085
    edited November 2014
    I'm in agreement with the bullying the band into a no win situation here. I don't like it at all. No matter who is trying to crowd source, NY or Whishlist. Also, i'm in complete agreement with the fuck Facebook crowd. I've been very vocal about hating Facebook for years but this situation is even worse. Why hasn't either of these ideas been mentioned here on the FAN CLUB site!?!? Why this exclusive Facebook group only? It's weird and is all sitting the wrong way with me.
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,326

I would donate, but I'm broke. I gave all my money to some guy from Nigeria. He won the lottery, but needed 10k in order to collect. I gave him the 10k and he is going to deposit 20k in my bank account in a few weeks.

dude...just wait a few weeks then.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    badbrains said:

The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

Fuckin A, BB! That might be my favorite comment in these four pages.

I have mixed feelings about crowdsourcing in general (and how odd that this has become a term). Same with the fundme (gofundme?) business.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Love it!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

.....over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

=))
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    badbrains said:

The venue they are suggesting is in Queens, not Manhattan. like 20-30 minutes from Penn if you get the express.

I've actually looked around the GoFundMe site out of boredom to see some of the things people post on there - it's kind of amazing. I should really start one. My cat needs braces. (knocks on wood.)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

The venue they are suggesting is in Queens, not Manhattan. like 20-30 minutes from Penn if you get the express.

I've actually looked around the GoFundMe site out of boredom to see some of the things people post on there - it's kind of amazing. I should really start one. My cat needs braces. (knocks on wood.)
    Oh I know where the place is in queens, drive past it all the time on the way to JFK. When I said give me manhattan ANYDAY, I was referring to msg. And that place is in manhattan cuz that's like my home away from home. (Used to have rangers season tix).

See hedonist, I always watch out for us people who aren't to keen on this camping shit. I need a bed, a pillow, shower and shitter, possiblely a tv for when I'm trying to sleep. I don't want a rock for a pillow and a tree for a shitter.

And it's 100% BULLSHIT if wishlist members ALL get tix while us common folks have to go into a lottery. This I CANT SEE THE BAND BEING COOL WITH. No fucken way. But then again, it is VERY odd I see people posting pics of the wishlist parties and same people end up on the rail. How is this even possible? Don't answer it, I already know who, what and how. "Don't you know who i am?" So fuck queens, fuck Seattle, let's have this shindig at msg for ANYONE who wants to attend.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

And it's 100% BULLSHIT if wishlist members ALL get tix while us common folks have to go into a lottery. This I CANT SEE THE BAND BEING COOL WITH. No fucken way. But then again, it is VERY odd I see people posting pics of the wishlist parties and same people end up on the rail. How is this even possible? Don't answer it, I already know who, what and how. "Don't you know who i am?" So fuck queens, fuck Seattle, let's have this shindig at msg for ANYONE who wants to attend.

The band loves Wishlist, they should, as the organization does great things. But you're right, the top members usually get preferential treatment, and will again if and when they achieve crowd funding PJ. It tends to go with the territory.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I'm not sure exactly where I stand on this crowd sourcing deal. When I first heard about what the Foo fighters did, it sounded like a cool thing that happened given how that band seems a little more into something like that.

On the other hand, and especially with Pearl Jam, it does seem like it could feel forced towards the band, putting them in a awkward position.

I think this group that's trying to get this going should have maybe thought it out better, with more info available to everyone. Definitely shouldn't be a closed group

And about who gets tickets or the whole preferred treatment thing with either wishlist or the other, wasn't the crowdsourcing event for the Foo Fighters more of a first come first serve deal ? Whoever put down the cash for tickets first got them until they were at the limit ? Thought I read that somewhere
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    edited November 2014
    so many things I want to say about this, but I'm going to refrain from an essay and just point out a couple of obvious things:

Agree with many that this "crowdfunding" thing is BS. It's basically attempting to strong-arm the band into doing what you want them to do... If someone was attempting to do that to me, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

While I don't support this idea the wishlist has in principle, I'm very conflicted as I have been waiting for a weekend at the gorge forever... I really want to go, but I wish the wishlist would stay the fuck out of it.

I'm going to put this simply: if wishlist gets their way, the whole thing will turn into a debacle and playing favorites. Everyone close to them will likely wind up with the best seats, and other perks. Don't forget that while their intent is raising money for charity, they will take this opportunity to set themselves up for the best seats/views/whatever other perks they can get for their favorite band. the whole thing will turn into a popularity contest. (and I mean no ill will against the wishlist and their work - I applaud them for it - but you're a charity, not a concert promoter).

Finally, I'm in favor of companies that are experts in an area organizing things (i.e. LN/TM) and not people attempting to fumble their way through it with no experience... say what you want about LN/TM, at they know what they're doing... if this gets organized by someone with no experience, get ready for a debacle.
    Post edited by shep on
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    lots of good thought here
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    Some things I don't get- why the Gorge at the end of October? Don't most amphitheaters in the north shut down in September? I know around me they are. You run a real risk of a show being played in the 30-40 degree area. And it does seem a little like forcing the band to celebrate 25 years. And forcing them to do it somewhere when they may have already had a plans for it. or when they maybe just wanted to relax next year. Also, why not do it in a more accessible area or venue? It also seems like people love to force Seattle or Washington state on them. Not meant to bash, just curious.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Some things I don't get- why the Gorge at the end of October? Don't most amphitheaters in the north shut down in September? I know around me they are. You run a real risk of a show being played in the 30-40 degree area. And it does seem a little like forcing the band to celebrate 25 years. And forcing them to do it somewhere when they may have already had a plans for it. or when they maybe just wanted to relax next year. Also, why not do it in a more accessible area or venue? It also seems like people love to force Seattle or Washington state on them. Not meant to bash, just curious.

The Gorge is in Eastern Washington, in what is pretty much a desert!!
    It gets so HOT there in the summertime as witnessed by their last shows there in '06.
    The October date could end up being a GREAT time for a show here!!
    As with any outdoor venue, you'll have the risk for bad weather,
    but given the natural beauty of the Columbia River Gorge,
    I'd be more than happy to risk it to see Pearl Jam play here!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    derbydave said:

The Gorge is in Eastern Washington, in what is pretty much a desert!!
    It gets so HOT there in the summertime as witnessed by their last shows there in '06.
    The October date could end up being a GREAT time for a show here!!
    As with any outdoor venue, you'll have the risk for bad weather,
    but given the natural beauty of the Columbia River Gorge,
    I'd be more than happy to risk it to see Pearl Jam play here!!!
    Oh I know where the Gorge is, and all about the venue. It can also cold there in the winter, like most deserts. But like I said, most amphitheaters in the north stop having shows in September. I think the Gorge is the same.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

Oh I know where the place is in queens, drive past it all the time on the way to JFK. When I said give me manhattan ANYDAY, I was referring to msg. And that place is in manhattan cuz that's like my home away from home. (Used to have rangers season tix).

See hedonist, I always watch out for us people who aren't to keen on this camping shit. I need a bed, a pillow, shower and shitter, possiblely a tv for when I'm trying to sleep. I don't want a rock for a pillow and a tree for a shitter.

BB, I've never been camping :D Open to the experience, but the needs you mentioned are mine as well.

(and cheers to yellow and shep! Same page here)
  • Options
    Still worth it to me to see Pearl Jam play The Gorge!!
    I was able to see several shows there when I lived in the Pacific Northwest in the 90's
    If they scheduled a show there and I'm lucky enought to score tickets,
    I'll be there!!
    Doesn't matter what time of year :D
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

I am all for MSG.
    No way could I do the Gorge.
    Feel like a lot of people are in the same boat.
    I am sure it is a lovely venue but,
    I remember being in Spokane in 1996
    and my cousin telling me that it was in the middle of nowhere
    too young to rent a car at the time so that was my only chance to see a show there.
    PJ20 was in the middle of the country.
    Washington State is too far away.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Gorge or MSG, I would hope that there is a tour so it isn't like this would be a one-off show you would have to go to.

Still, I think some folks are a little too high on the Pearl Jam candy.
  • Options

Gorge or MSG, I would hope that there is a tour so it isn't like this would be a one-off show you would have to go to.

Still, I think some folks are a little too high on the Pearl Jam candy.

Yeah I would prefer a whole tour.
    But if they are only gonna do a PJ25 deal,
    please do one on both coasts at least.
    I am already broke enough.
    can't afford to travel long distances.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,723
    Seems most folk here agree that it would be better to sit back and let the band make their own plans, you know like they always have.

• Options
    I'd DEFINITEY be in for shows at BOTH MSG & The Gorge...
    Hell, throw in Red Rocks while we're talking about hypothetical shows!!!
    Bottom line for me is The Gorge is the most BEAUTIFUL venue I've ever seen,
    and if there's a Pearl Jam show or destination weekend scheduled there,
    I'll do whatever it takes to attend that event!!
    If outdoor shows in nature and camping out under the stars with your friends isn't for you,
    That's good, but this would be pure heaven for me!!
    ;)

• Options
    lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

I am all for MSG.
    too young to rent a car at the time so that was my only chance to see a show there.
    Fuck the gorge!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

I am all for MSG.
    Fuck the gorge!
    :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

I am all for MSG.
    Fuck the gorge!
    =))

This discussion has been closed.