Options

Time to start limiting sticker purchases

I heard that people were buying up to 50 stickers in Cincy. I think a 10 sticker limit pre show needs to be imposed. If there are stickers left over during the show or after the show, people should be able to buy as many as you like. The allure of the stickers was that it was a cheap keepsake of a show you attended, but it is crazy that people who show up hours before the show can't purchase one because they are sold out due to people hoarding them to flip. If they don't want to limit purchases at the show, perhaps Ten Club can start selling stickers after the tour (same as posters) with a limit on the number of stickers for purchase. Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I think the word is out. Pearl Jam fans are freaks about 'stuff'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Some people are buying enough to trade with other members too. 50 is a ton though. I'm probably buying around 25-30 to cover a ton of trades. Don't assume people are flipping them.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    wait, how is buying 25-30 of them for trades not flipping? you're still doing it for personal gain.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    What if I only want to buy 2? If you're in front of me and I see you buying 30, I'm gonna be a tad annoyed man. Especially if I get up there and they tell me you just bought the last of them. Just saying! Hahaha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dfishbergdfishberg Posts: 403
    I understand the trading aspect of stickers and find it to be really fun. I have no problem with people buying lots of stickers after the show for trades if they are left over. My problem is when they are sold out hours before the show, or within minutes of opening the doors because people are buying so many. Nothing worse than waiting on line and then being told the item has sold out, and then seeing people with tons of stickers. I would think a 10 sticker limit pre show should allow people to get some stickers for friends and for trading, while hopefully also allowing people who actually attended the show a shot at getting a keepsake for themselves.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

What if I only want to buy 2? If you're in front of me and I see you buying 30, I'm gonna be a tad annoyed man. Especially if I get up there and they tell me you just bought the last of them. Just saying! Hahaha!

early bird gets the worm
  • Options
    they should just print a huge amount to satisfy demand. i'd guess they cost pennies per to print?
    IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
    Mexico City 2015
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I can't believe that the merchandise people would actually sell that many of one item to a single person. 30 or 50 of an item is a bulk purchase, not something that's normally allowed at any other show I've been too. 10 stickers is plenty - it's still a lot if everyone on line buys 10. Buying some for people who can't go and one for yourself and then a couple (like 2 or 3) to trade is okay I guess, but 30 stickers is an awful lot and I feel the same as 2-feign-reluctance - if I was waiting to buy 2 stickers and maybe a t-shirt and everyone in front of me was buying 30 stickers and 10 t-shirts, I would be pretty annoyed by the time I got up to the counter and was told that they were out of stuff.

Stickers are great because people who can't afford the poster and t-shirts can get a souvenir for a cheap price - that's the whole idea of having them. Buying a shitload to use for trades ruins the idea of having a lower priced merchandise item. When the person with 10.00 gets up to the counter and the stickers are cleaned out - they are screwed. Just something people might want to consider when they are making their merchandise choices.
  • Options
    Agreed -- any leftovers they could sell in the store or provide in Mystery Boxes. With the uptick in sticker collectors, especially for fans looking for complete sets of stickers, Ten Club could sell a ton. With that said, the hoarding and flipping of merch has gotten out of control. Are we so far removed from the band that risked everything to fight corporations to keep ticket prices down -- some would say yes.
    On the "flip side" (get it) I have met many amazing members of the PJ community who are extremely generous.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    I agree with the OP - there needs to be a limit (unless the 10C starts to print more).
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    1. PRINT MORE

2. Sell leftovers in the store as add-on items

3. For the next tour, post the design of the city specific stuff and let any member attending the show (not just 10C tix) pre-order the shirt/sticker/pin and pick up a packet at the show.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I saw people at will call walking around with a full bag of buttons. (Think sandwich bag size.) Now, you are telling me that they aren't going to flip those? For all those in need of Cincy buttons, I'm thinking that a whole heap will land on eBay shortly.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I don't remember seeing stickers of any kind (tour or show specific) last night, and I looked at a few stands.
  • Options
    dmbkcdmbkc Posts: 63
    How much does the average sticker and button cost?
    www.kcsfc.net
    10.12.2000 Bonner Springs / 6.12.2003 Bonner Springs / 5.3.2010 Kansas City / 10.3.14 St Louis / 8.20.16 Chicago
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773

1. PRINT MORE

2. Sell leftovers in the store as add-on items

3. For the next tour, post the design of the city specific stuff and let any member attending the show (not just 10C tix) pre-order the shirt/sticker/pin and pick up a packet at the show.

I'd take #3 so far as to be able to pre-order stuff and have it shipped to your address AFTER the show. That way, the merch line would be a lot shorter and having it shipped after just might...maybe...curb the flippers.

50 stickers in one purchase is insane though.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    dmbkcdmbkc Posts: 63
    And are poster purchases limited?
    www.kcsfc.net
    10.12.2000 Bonner Springs / 6.12.2003 Bonner Springs / 5.3.2010 Kansas City / 10.3.14 St Louis / 8.20.16 Chicago
  • Options
    Stickers and buttons are $2 each, which is very reasonable, but are being flipped on other sites for a lot more. I thought poster purchases were limited to 2, but not sure how strictly vendors are enforcing that.
  • Options
    AndySlash said:

wait, how is buying 25-30 of them for trades not flipping? you're still doing it for personal gain.

Flipping=making a profit. Turning a $2 sticker into a $20 sale. Just look at the boards. Tons and tons of people are trading stickers
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    everyone laughed at grandpa when he went fishing at 5 am... but no one laughed when he came home with the town prostitute....
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    There is only what 15 shows this tour so if you are just buying to trade they only need to buy 15 if you are just buying them to trade. The problem is a lot of people are just greedy, especially people with a collector's mentality.
  • Options
    AndySlash said:

buying them to trade is flipping?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    I just don't know why you would want a sticker from a show you weren't at.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

early bird gets the worm
    Gluttonous birds should choke on their feed

• Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208

Flipping=making a profit. Turning a $2 sticker into a $20 sale. Just look at the boards. Tons and tons of people are trading stickers

buying them to trade is flipping?

buying 25-30 stickers solely to trade is flipping, in my view. the currency is just other stickers or items instead of cash. the motivations are exactly the same- buying something, often in excess, with the sole intention of getting something of value from it. it doesn't have to be a profit, necessarily, but when you're buying 25-30 stickers you're hoarding a bunch of items for your own personal gain.

i don't agree with it, but that's only my opinion. obviously plenty of other don't feel that way. it's certainly a culture that has been cultivated. just look at the boards, indeed.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    The sticker and button craze is a great example of how the collecting mentality has gotten out of hand.

• Options

The sticker and button craze is a great example of how the collecting mentality has gotten out of hand.

^Yes it has and I am guilty of it too.

I wish 10C would offer a sticker run in the shop. How cool would that be? The whole tour. Have like 3000 of them bagged and ready. 1 per member.

I'll tell you this, they shouldn't be selling week 2 of ACL right now.

I'll also tell you this, there is a frenzy for stickers and what not.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    As a collector and trader who has bought a lot of stickers in the past (to trade), I think a limit should be placed on the stickers at least before the show starts. It just isn't fair to the rest of the fans coming to the show.
  • Options
    10C should sell a set of stickers from each tour once the tour is over. Probably costs a nickel to make a sticker. Wouldn't be that hard
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

I just don't know why you would want a sticker from a show you weren't at.

Same reason people buy bootlegs from shows they never attended. They enjoy listening to other shows. Or buying posters from shows they don't attend. They enjoy the artwork. Stickers are pretty cool IMO. Very well designed. If the 10C is not going to offer them in the shop, you find trades from people who are attended other shows.

I can buy the bootlegs and the posters in the shop if I want them. I can't buy the stickers. I'm forced to trade for them.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    You really think listening to live pj shows you weren't at is anything like buying a sticker????
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.