• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:
    Shooting just happened at a middle school in Noblesville, IN

Just reporting one injury
    middle school!
    you know what drives me nuts lately about CNN? Harvey Weinstein in handcuffs is their biggest headline on their website. 

the school shooting you just mentioned is a blip. 

Weinstein news is big. But the shooting was more "breaking" so you are probably right.  

We are becoming desensitized.  Mass shootings are just a part of American life now.  Statistically, you're still unlikely to be caught up in one but some people will be the unlucky ones and it's just so unnecessary.
    Well, today's school shooting wasn't a mass shooting.... Yes, when the number of people shot in a school shooting is low, nobody's paying much attention, and when nobody even gets killed, heck, it's almost like a good day in the scheme of things.... I can't say I blame this on the news networks. They are just reporting what the masses have proven interests them the most.
    and THAT is just it. people are obsessed with fucking celebrity. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:

middle school!
    you know what drives me nuts lately about CNN? Harvey Weinstein in handcuffs is their biggest headline on their website. 

Weinstein news is big. But the shooting was more "breaking" so you are probably right.  

We are becoming desensitized.  Mass shootings are just a part of American life now.  Statistically, you're still unlikely to be caught up in one but some people will be the unlucky ones and it's just so unnecessary.
    Well, today's school shooting wasn't a mass shooting.... Yes, when the number of people shot in a school shooting is low, nobody's paying much attention, and when nobody even gets killed, heck, it's almost like a good day in the scheme of things.... I can't say I blame this on the news networks. They are just reporting what the masses have proven interests them the most.
    Again without turning this tread into another topic, that story is not about a fucking celebrity, it is about a man who is accused of raping woman. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited May 2018

Okay, so I am now for the banning of all guns.  There has to be a way for homeowners to feel safe though.  Perhaps a stun gun or some other type of weapon that absolutely can't be used for a mass shooting. 

If you want to go hunting, then you can go through a background check, and rent a gun for the hunting trip. 

I haven't thought through all the scenarios, but this is beyond ridiculous at this point.  To those on this board that want to take no action, you are disturbed individuals and you may not even know it.  It was like when I was collecting Pearl Jam vinyl and trying to get every color, I didn't realize at the time how stupid that was. 

Like PJsoul said earlier, the fix won't come for several generations, but we need to start now.  Like with climate change, we can't change climate today or tomorrow, but we can make changes that can impact 50 years from now.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    http://www.apa.org/pi/about/newsletter/2016/05/gun-violence-awareness.aspx
    Something we can all do its not asking for much ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:

middle school!

Again without turning this tread into another topic, that story is not about a fucking celebrity, it is about a man who is accused of raping woman. 
    which wouldn't be news if he wasn't a celebrity. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2018
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:

middle school!

Yeah, that's what I was about to say. I've re-thought this HFD, and I'm starting to feel like maybe you're minimizing the case and issues around it because he is a celebrity. Weinstein is a PROLIFIC sexual predator, with dozens and dozens of accusations laid against him, and the whole story was the catalyst that exposed a very profound problem of sexual abuse and harassment going on in Hollywood, which covers a whole lot of ground and people, and then the story lead to exposing this problem across the board in the society. This is THE story that started the #metoo movement. That he's a celebrity seems like the least important factor in this story, and I think that's how it's being treated. This is a huge story in its own right, and I think a lot of coverage of it is valid.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:

middle school!

Yeah, that's what I was about to say. I've re-thought this HFD. Weinstein is a PROLIFIC sexual predator, with dozens and dozens of accusations laid against him, and the whole story was the catalyst that exposed a very profound problem of sexual abuse and harassment going on in Hollywood, which covers a whole lot of ground and people, and then the story lead to exposing this problem across the board in the society. This is THE story that started the #metoo movement. That he's a celebrity seems like the least important factor in this story, and I think that's how it's being treated. This is a huge story in its own right, and I think a lot of coverage of it is valid.
    I get that. of course it's important and newsworthy. never said it wasn't. 

as I have also stated, I wasn't only talking about this one incident. CNN, and other mass media, routinely choose entertainment news over societal news. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:

middle school!

Yeah, that's what I was about to say. I've re-thought this HFD. Weinstein is a PROLIFIC sexual predator, with dozens and dozens of accusations laid against him, and the whole story was the catalyst that exposed a very profound problem of sexual abuse and harassment going on in Hollywood, which covers a whole lot of ground and people, and then the story lead to exposing this problem across the board in the society. This is THE story that started the #metoo movement. That he's a celebrity seems like the least important factor in this story, and I think that's how it's being treated. This is a huge story in its own right, and I think a lot of coverage of it is valid.
    I get that. of course it's important and newsworthy. never said it wasn't. 

as I have also stated, I wasn't only talking about this one incident. CNN, and other mass media, routinely choose entertainment news over societal news. 
    I think that just depends on the stories that are active at any given time. I think if what you're saying was really true, or at least true with any real consistency, we'd be seeing a lot more entertainment news on those networks that we do. Plus the point already made about them giving the audience what it wants, which to me means that it's not the mass media choosing. It's the audience.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Okay, so I am now for the banning of all guns.  There has to be a way for homeowners to feel safe though.  Perhaps a stun gun or some other type of weapon that absolutely can't be used for a mass shooting. 

If you want to go hunting, then you can go through a background check, and rent a gun for the hunting trip. 

I haven't thought through all the scenarios, but this is beyond ridiculous at this point.  To those on this board that want to take no action, you are disturbed individuals and you may not even know it.  It was like when I was collecting Pearl Jam vinyl and trying to get every color, I didn't realize at the time how stupid that was. 

Like PJsoul said earlier, the fix won't come for several generations, but we need to start now.  Like with climate change, we can't change climate today or tomorrow, but we can make changes that can impact 50 years from now.

“Nobody is saying ban all guns”.  Bootlegger is saying “ban all guns” for reference, lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

“Nobody is saying ban all guns”.  Bootlegger is saying “ban all guns” for reference, lol
    there are plenty of citizens saying ban all guns. no politicians, that I've seen, are saying ban all guns. I think that's what people are referring to when saying "nobody is saying ban all guns". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

there are plenty of citizens saying ban all guns. no politicians, that I've seen, are saying ban all guns. I think that's what people are referring to when saying "nobody is saying ban all guns". 
    Maybe so, maybe the right phrase would be “nobodies are saying ban all guns”
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

In all honesty, in a perfect world, guns would be illegal. the US is obviously way too far gone for that, but don't you agree it would be ideal? if criminals had automatic sentences of whatever term just for possessing one, don't you think that would drive down the need for citizens, or do you think people would still hang onto this "tyrannical government" nonsense?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

In all honesty, in a perfect world, guns would be illegal. the US is obviously way too far gone for that, but don't you agree it would be ideal? if criminals had automatic sentences of whatever term just for possessing one, don't you think that would drive down the need for citizens, or do you think people would still hang onto this "tyrannical government" nonsense?
    In a perfect world, there would be no criminals at all and there would be no tyrannical governments and farts would smell like daisies.  It is a pointless hypothetical, though, as daisies have very little nutritional value ;).  Yes, we are way too far gone for that and that’s why I mock those that suggest a complete gun ban.  
  • Options
    It was two good guys with guns that dropped the asshat in OK evidently:
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/oklahoma-city-shooting/index.html
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:

Would our country be better off without any guns at all?

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
    Has any country in the world banned guns completely from their citizens?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
    I know its impossible... especially here... but

If there wasnt one single gun in this country, would it be better or worse?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I agree. IDEALLY, banning guns is the way I would want it to go in every country. The only reason I say that it shouldn't happen in the USA is because it would cause too much of a shit show because of the America gun fetish problem.
  • Options
    i'm done debating this topic massacres are part of our culture and everyday life get used to it cause it's here to stay , if your out having dinner keep an eye out , if your at a movie , concert i don't go to any churches but if you do keep an eye out , if your into guns go ahead buy as many as you wan't the chances of you or family member getting hurt are increased by your hobby , I collect concert tickets they only remind me of good times ....
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes

People have been finding ways of being violent since the beginning of time with or without guns.  For hunters, it would be definitely be worse ;).  For criminals...idk.  For law enforcement, probably worse.  I cannot imagine a present day country where they do not exist whatsoever.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

In a perfect world, there would be no criminals at all and there would be no tyrannical governments and farts would smell like daisies.  It is a pointless hypothetical, though, as daisies have very little nutritional value ;).  Yes, we are way too far gone for that and that’s why I mock those that suggest a complete gun ban.  
    Your home arsenal wouldn't do shit to stop a tyrannical government...

Fact is, most of the time they convince the masses to go along with them... its easier to manipulate your citizens then fight them... 

Iraq invasion & occupation, shock & awe, torture, black rendition sites, detentioners held for years without charge at Guantanomo, at least 1 million dead.... that was, and is, fucking horrific and evil... disgusting... maybe the most "tyrannical" thing done by any country in my lifetime... and a ton of the masses cheered and supported it while waving flags... some still think it was fine and support it.... all based on lies, propaganda, and manipulation... your guns dont mean shit buddy, it's your brain they are going after

Happy Memorial Day weekend
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes

People have been finding ways of being violent since the beginning of time with or without guns.  For hunters, it would be definitely be worse ;).  For criminals...idk.  For law enforcement, probably worse.  I cannot imagine a present day country where they do not exist whatsoever.

Who's talking about a world without violence? That isn't the point at all. And for hunters... yeah, it would be worse, if they care more about being able to hunt than they do thousands and thousands of people dying from gun shots every year.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
    He asked a simple ? you answered with a ? of your own c'mon man your a teacher if your students started answering you ?s with ?s i bet you wouldn't be pleased ..
    1- yes 
    2- No 
    choose your answer ..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
    He asked a simple ? you answered with a ? of your own c'mon man your a teacher if your students started answering you ?s with ?s i bet you wouldn't be pleased ..
    1- yes 
    2- No 
    choose your answer ..
    Lol. Touché Jose!  
    The question is illogical so how can you answer?  There will always be Guns in the nation. We just have to find a way to keep them out of the wrong hands and teach people to cope better instead of shooting up a god damn school. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    unsung said:
    bbiggs said:
    I’m just happy to see no one was killed except the shooter. No innocent lives lost is the best possible outcome there. 

Judge, jury, executioner. “Confronted him outside.” Yup, Wild Wild West.

The shooter wore eye and hearing protection to his planned murder. He was an idiot and to be truthful, I'm completely okay with him meeting his end. The world doesn't need people like that anywhere.

The NRA is seizing the moment and promoting their company line at the moment (good guy with gun stops bad with gun). I guess we'll have to let them have their moment; however, it's a meaningless field goal at the end of a blowout (the score is now 77-3 in favour of the bad guys).
    Good guy with a gun didnt stop anyone in this case.
    The Sheriff believes otherwise.
    The people shot disagree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes or no?

I'm a firm yes
    1- yes 
    2- No 
    choose your answer ..
    Lol. Touché Jose!  
    The question is illogical so how can you answer?  There will always be Guns in the nation. We just have to find a way to keep them out of the wrong hands and teach people to cope better instead of shooting up a god damn school. 
    I agree ! it would be a dream no guns but we all know it never will happen ......
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Fact is, most of the time they convince the masses to go along with them... its easier to manipulate your citizens then fight them... 

Iraq invasion & occupation, shock & awe, torture, black rendition sites, detentioners held for years without charge at Guantanomo, at least 1 million dead.... that was, and is, fucking horrific and evil... disgusting... maybe the most "tyrannical" thing done by any country in my lifetime... and a ton of the masses cheered and supported it while waving flags... some still think it was fine and support it.... all based on lies, propaganda, and manipulation... your guns dont mean shit buddy, it's your brain they are going after

I believe this is what gets overlooked or lost by the hardcore defenders of the 2A (and I used to be one of them). The argument that we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. The reality, though, is exactly what we're currently experiencing. We have a president who has no regard for laws, truth or principle, and the people with the guns who want to protect themselves from tyranny are the same people eating this up and throwing all of their support behind Cheetolini, sending around memes bashing the press and the media in general, normalizing abhorrent behavior, accepting lies, unravelling civil rights, etc... My2hands has it right - fascism and tyranny will happen without guns being fired. It will happen because of a cult of personality. It will happen because of fake patriotism, and hyper-nationalism.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Very prescient by both of you.   As an easy example,  Hitler attempted a hostile takeover of Germany with the Beerhall Putzch.  It failed,  few supported it and he spent a year in jail.  While there,  he realized he needed to do it legally,  and subsequently politically maneuvered into the chancellor position,  and only then did he begin to abolish opposition,  purge enemies,  etc. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:

I believe this is what gets overlooked or lost by the hardcore defenders of the 2A (and I used to be one of them). The argument that we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. The reality, though, is exactly what we're currently experiencing. We have a president who has no regard for laws, truth or principle, and the people with the guns who want to protect themselves from tyranny are the same people eating this up and throwing all of their support behind Cheetolini, sending around memes bashing the press and the media in general, normalizing abhorrent behavior, accepting lies, unravelling civil rights, etc... My2hands has it right - fascism and tyranny will happen without guns being fired. It will happen because of a cult of personality. It will happen because of fake patriotism, and hyper-nationalism.
    Two Great posts
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:

Two Great posts

I agree.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.