Options

20 Years Kurt

Comments

• Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114

FrankY59 said:

I don't think you understand what clinical depression is. He obviously lived a life that 99.9% of people have never lived, so none of our opinions count. This country does a poor job in not only treating but recognizing mental illnesses. No one should doubt he loved his family which shows the toll untreated depression can take. Call it a cop out all you want but it's a recurring theme in depressed people but he just happened to be a celebrity which still doesn't change his disease.

It's good to know some people have some sense around here, and some compassion......

What they said. I'm amazed of the number of people on this board with a "just pull yourself together" attitude. Are you for real? You must really lack basic knowledge about mental illness and drug addiction. Or maybe just a heart. Besides, since when did we start judging artists on their personal lives and struggles and instead of their work? We have no idea what Kurt went through so who are we to judge?

I was and am a huge fan of Nirvana. They certainly changed the way I listened to music completely and helped me discover so many great bands and artists I would never have heard of if not for them. To this day I still remember the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. I think Nirvana changed me the same way they changed so many other young people and their perception of music back then. They definitely revolutionised rock n' roll. I certainly do not believe they were on a decline in 1993-1994 with In Utero, which in my opinion was their best album by far. One can only imagine what might have happened had Kurt lived. Somehow I have a hard time believing they would have stuck around as a band for a long time, but we would definitely have seen some interesting stuff coming from Kurt. And Dave we all know.... Foo Fighters would probably have happened anyway at some point.

R.I.P. Kurt wherever you are...
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    EddieisNumber1EddieisNumber1 Brisbane, Australia Posts: 49
    I do believe Kurt was depressed and suicidal. But if you look at a clip called Unsolved Mysteries Kurt Cobain. Think twice and you'll probably think he was really murdered.
  • Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited April 2014

I do believe Kurt was depressed and suicidal. But if you look at a clip called Unsolved Mysteries Kurt Cobain. Think twice and you'll probably think he was really murdered.

Go back and re read his suicide note. Forget the bottom lines. Read the part that starts "my goddess wife" and finish that paragraph.
    I have a goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy and a daughter who reminds me too much of what i used to be, full of love and joy, kissing every person she meets because everyone is good and will do her no harm. And that terrifies me to the point to where I can barely function. I can't stand the thought of Frances becoming the miserable, self-destructive, death rocker that I've become.
    Kurt just had a few too many synapses firing the wrong connections. What he needed was some sort of cognitive behavioral therapy and a loooong vacation from the spotlight. IMHO the attempt to get him off heroin (a disease but also merely a symptom of another disease - depression) without trying to address and treat his life long depression was not only a bad move, but probably a fatal mistake. Kurt probably felt like the one thing in this world which brought him solace and relief was being pried from him. The feelings that surfaced during withdrawal, and the thought of living (being forced to live) sober may have been what drove him over the edge.
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited April 2014
    Despite all his money and fame he was seen frequenting and staying at the same heroin hotels to get high as he did before the fame. If that doesn't show how strong his depression and his addiction were I don't know what will. One of the most famous people on the plant in a dirty, nasty crack house as his preferred place to get high. He had many dealers elsewhere. He just chose to go hang with the other junkies. The man lost to his disease.

There was a great documentary about his last few days. Steven Adler from GNR ran into Kurt at the airport when he flew back from LA to Seattle after going awol from rehab. He said Kurt looked fine and if he had only known he would have tried to spend more time that day with him to save him. So many people loved and cared for him. If he couldnt see that we should be able to see how far he had gone down the road of losing himself.

And for those that think Courtney murdered him, Kurt bought the ammo himself a week before he died. We know this because he asked his driver to take it to his house when he found out he couldn't fly with it to LA. Kurt set this plan in motion long before he actually did it.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Two greatest shows I never attended.....
    Nirvana Unplugged....which led me to Pearl Jam Unplugged.
    Life changing....
    We all have our demons...it's how we deal with them that makes us who we are.
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    FrankY59 said:

I wonder if people realize what Nevermind did to rock n roll. If anyone can recall the overnight takedown of Michael Jackson's Dangerous album to #1 on the Billboard charts. A completely new genre of rock was born.
    It is easy to dismiss Kurt because he was a junkie, but he was accomplished regardless.

What they really took down, fortunately, was 80's glam rock. They officially ended it. And they did so in a way that made Poison, Crue, Warrant look like nothing but a giant joke. Alice was getting some momentum as was SG, but it was really Nirvana that murdered the 80's. I will forever be grateful to Nirvana for that.

And the point that they were fading definitely has some truth, but Neil definitely had it right when he said "It's better to burn out then fade away". He burned out and he knew he would immortal for it.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    edited April 2014
    mrussel1 said:

FrankY59 said:

I wonder if people realize what Nevermind did to rock n roll. If anyone can recall the overnight takedown of Michael Jackson's Dangerous album to #1 on the Billboard charts. A completely new genre of rock was born.
    It is easy to dismiss Kurt because he was a junkie, but he was accomplished regardless.

What they really took down, fortunately, was 80's glam rock. They officially ended it. And they did so in a way that made Poison, Crue, Warrant look like nothing but a giant joke. Alice was getting some momentum as was SG, but it was really Nirvana that murdered the 80's. I will forever be grateful to Nirvana for that.
    Do Guns 'n Roses get no credit for this?

Edited to add this opinion from Spin: http://www.spin.com/articles/myth-no-2-nirvana-killed-hair-metal/
    Post edited by jamburger on
  • Options
    GnR are still glammish in my book. They were not pretty boys, but still had that element (hair, costumes, ballads, etc.) Nirvana kicked the piss out of the genre. SG and AIC helped.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    edited April 2014
    jamburger said:

mrussel1 said:

FrankY59 said:

Do Guns 'n Roses get no credit for this?

Edited to add this opinion from Spin: http://www.spin.com/articles/myth-no-2-nirvana-killed-hair-metal/
    No credit available for the band that served up this healthy portion of 80s cheese...

youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I don't buy the Queensryche killing glam from Spin. They were 3 degrees from glam and Silent Lucidity blew in my book. I could buy off on Janes but the interesting thing about them is that they really didn't get big until they were on their way out. I don't think the average teen really knew much about Jane's until after Nirvana had blown up.
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    rival. said:

It would be interesting to think about how long Nirvana would have stuck around if it weren't for Kurt's death. Imagine the same situation happening to Pearl Jam after No Code? People would said they were done anyways, the album was not well received and maybe it was the beginning of the end for PJ. And here we are all these years later...

There are people at the Red Mosquito forum that pretty much regard Pearl Jam this way.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    rgambs said:

yeah they shook the world and that's great, but the quality of music just wasn't there. Creativity and originality, yes, but not quality. I doubt anyone here would try to equate the musical talents of kris with jeff, or of kurt with eddie or stone.

I love Eddie's lyrics.
    He is a great story teller,
    but I think Kurt was the better poet.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jp307677 said:

Thanks. Disease? I'd call it laziness, stupidity, and no will power.

Seriously? Not getting over an addition is lazy stupid and shows lack of will power?
    Well it's stupid to begin with herion, I'll give you that, but an addiction is hard to beat.
    It doesn't stand or fall alone with just not using it. It are complex things that need to be tackled from more than one angle.
    What was the reason that he took it in the first place? One could guess his childhood gave him some issues that were unresolved. Music seemed to be an escape for him, but that save place got burdened with the effects of fame.
    Anyway laziness has nothing to do with it. Stupid to begin yes. Will power? No one gets something done on just will power alone. Will power might be the wind in your sails to set you of, but after that you need more than just will power alone.
    To quit smoking on just will power is hard and again not enough, most people need something to substitude at least at first. Suggesting to beat a heroin addiction on just will power, only shows you know to little about the subject.
    Comparing an addiction to a disease is by no means a strange thing.
    Post edited by karmadefect on

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    aurynsdad said:

rival. said:

It would be interesting to think about how long Nirvana would have stuck around if it weren't for Kurt's death. Imagine the same situation happening to Pearl Jam after No Code? People would said they were done anyways, the album was not well received and maybe it was the beginning of the end for PJ. And here we are all these years later...

There are people at the Red Mosquito forum that pretty much regard Pearl Jam this way.
    Yes they do tend to be a bit negative down there. :P

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Kurt and Nirvana gave us three studio albums and we should be very grateful for his existence that he was there in our time. His music will live on for future generations of music fans just like the current generation are enjoying Hendrix, Joplin, Presley, etc. So instead of spewing negative postings about Kurt such as him being a deadbeat father, junkie, asshole, etc… we should be celebrating his life as he had existed and gave the world the music that we enjoy to this very day. It is very disrespectful to speak ill of the dead since they are not around anymore to defend themselves. Rest in Peace Kurt Donald Cobain 1967 - 1994
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Soooo Nirvana's last studio track, "You Know You're Right," reading the lyrics, it sounds as if Kurt is saying goodbye, a prelude to his suicide. I believe it was written 3 months before his death. It just seems so obvious...any thoughts?!
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

Soooo Nirvana's last studio track, "You Know You're Right," reading the lyrics, it sounds as if Kurt is saying goodbye, a prelude to his suicide. I believe it was written 3 months before his death. It just seems so obvious...any thoughts?!

It is definitely "death rock".
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    FrankY59 said:

All of In Utero was a cry for help. All apologies "married/buried", Heart shaped box "throw down your umbilical noose", Radio friendly shifter unit "love you for what I am not/do not want what I have got".

Just a few, but then again you could say that about a bunch of music and hindsight is 20/20.

TNG
  • Options

FrankY59 said:

All of In Utero was a cry for help. All apologies "married/buried", Heart shaped box "throw down your umbilical noose", Radio friendly shifter unit "love you for what I am not/do not want what I have got".

Just a few, but then again you could say that about a bunch of music and hindsight is 20/20.

TNG
    You forgot this one: I Hate Myself And I Wanna Die

If it tells you anything, Kurt wanted it to be the TITLE of the entire goddamn album (and not In Utero).
    I know he claims it was tongue-in-cheek, but COME ON.
    :/
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited April 2014
    New documentary is about to come out: Trailer looks pretty good. I don't believe even 1% Courtney did anything other than push him to it mentally but will watch it:

http://www.soakedinbleach.com/

New note was released today that was found in Kurt's wallet:

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news/new-letter-revealed-from-kurt-cobain-s-death-scene--mocks-marriage-to-courtney-love-155042162.html
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    He pulled out of Lollapollza witch would have earned him 9.5 million..............pulling out of that ........cost millions too a lot of people......there is no doubt he was murdered if you really researched
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Like JFK, everyone will have a theory. Latest story confirmed after re-investigation that it was a suicide. I believe it - not just because of what I do for a living either. Just hard to dispute facts.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    edited April 2014
    cdysinge said:

New documentary is about to come out: Trailer looks pretty good. I don't believe even 1% Courtney did anything other than push him to it mentally but will watch it:

http://www.soakedinbleach.com/

New note was released today that was found in Kurt's wallet:

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news/new-letter-revealed-from-kurt-cobain-s-death-scene--mocks-marriage-to-courtney-love-155042162.html

This will be interesting.

Wind this thing up.

• Options

Like JFK, everyone will have a theory. Latest story confirmed after re-investigation that it was a suicide. I believe it - not just because of what I do for a living either. Just hard to dispute facts.

...There were no finger prints on the gun or the pen......
    their is no doubt he was murdered.....Courtney loves own lawyer found a bag that Courtney left at her office ....in the bag .her own lawyer was caught on tape saying that she thinks Courtney has something do with it ....was letters she was practicing .....if you love your husband.........you go to your Seattle Home........Why not also hire an P.I. in Seattle .....instead of L.A. where she was at .....at the time
  • Options

There was no Re-investigation. at all ......the police just released pics......that's it ......the case has never been reopened
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Kurt Cobain's best friend bought him the shotgun and the bullets. He was depressed and on drugs. He sang about death and suicide. Pretty sure he ended his own life. Any more obvious it could not be.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

Kurt Cobain's best friend bought him the shotgun and the bullets. He was depressed and on drugs. He sang about death and suicide. Pretty sure he ended his own life. Any more obvious it could not be.

he bought that shotgun of protection for himself and his family....there was a park next door and people kept coming to his home......If you are going to kill yourself....why put 3 shells in the gun....when you only need one......all three shells did not have prints on them at all ......he did not blow his head off like the media said....it was a 20 guage......their was no exit wound.....another thing......I talked to people that took heroin.....when you take heroin .....you get a high....not a low.......If he wanted to kill himself........why not take a lethal dose of heroin and go to bed with a smile on your face.............and he did indeed had a lethal dose injected him plus diazepam that would double the effect

• Options
    JP33 said:

he bought that shotgun of protection for himself and his family....there was a park next door and people kept coming to his home......If you are going to kill yourself....why put 3 shells in the gun....when you only need one......all three shells did not have prints on them at all ......he did not blow his head off like the media said....it was a 20 guage......their was no exit wound.....another thing......I talked to people that took heroin.....when you take heroin .....you get a high....not a low.......If he wanted to kill himself........why not take a lethal dose of heroin and go to bed with a smile on your face.............and he did indeed had a lethal dose injected him plus diazepam that would double the effect

Kurt Cobain's best friend bought him the shotgun and the bullets. He was depressed and on drugs. He sang about death and suicide. Pretty sure he ended his own life. Any more obvious it could not be. </blockquote singing about death and suicide.........perfect motive for alibi
    v

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Courtney Love...just look at her...does she look intelligent enough to pull off a mastermind, full-proof plan to have her celebrity husband murdered and get away with it? End of discussion.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    jp307677 said:

Courtney Love...just look at her...does she look intelligent enough to pull off a mastermind, full-proof plan to have her celebrity husband murdered and get away with it? End of discussion.

That is a pretty good point, although enough money and someone else could have planned it.

Wind this thing up.