Options

THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Comments

• Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Yep, I'm the same. I've had the joy of being right up front and all that that entails with guitar pics, drumsticks and tambourines. I just feel bad for those that are going to come down early to wait all day with the dream of the same, but aren't going to see it come to being due to the possible abuses of "The list". This Wrigley show really is a unique opportunity in the US for up-close and rail dreams. In London, all can come anytime they please as all will have their assigned seat ticket. The opportunity happens with festivals as a bunch got to experience last year in Philly and other places. The dates this fall will most likely not include GA, minus New Orleans.

Tambourines? Hahahaha please someone post that Willy Wonka picture :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    haha, I know the one. Remember you posting it actually. Those on the rail dream of the tambourine christening...
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Horos wrote:

People need to make a choice: wait in line all day to get close to the stage or attend the parties.

This!

A list can work to a degree in the early stages until the official queuing system (barriers/line) is set up by on site security. Do people abuse it? Hell yes. Would people abuse a non-list line and go and sneak in line with 'their friends', of course (I've seen this happen so many times at other gigs - you're maybe 20th in line, by doors you're pushed back to 50+).

When we queue, we wait in line. If one of us needs the bathroom, one of us will go and come straight back. If we need food we'll either bring it with us or one of us will nip out to the nearest shop and bring the food back to the line. 99% of the time there'll always be one of us in line - no beers, no bars.

We've met some really great people in PJ lines, we've also seen people who will turn whatever queuing situation to their advantage. No matter what "system" (or lack of) is in place, there will be those people who abuse it to their advantage. It's shit, it shouldn't happen, but it will!

List lines, non-list lines and life in general would work great if everyone was fair and respectful. Unfortunately, that's not the reality.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Cosmo wrote:
    From my experience... Lists tend to bring out the Nazi in otherwise sane people. The person who creates the list turns into fucking Adoph Listler and puts down their friends names on the list. You may count 55 people ahead of you 2 hours before the doors open, but 20 minutes before they open, you are now 243rd in line.
    The best thing is to just get there... sit on the sidewalk and make friends with the people around you. If you have to get up an take a leak, the people around you will let you, just as you would let them. If you need to get up an walk around... cool, get up and walk around, stand in the shade for a bit, have a smoke... whatever.
    Anyway... from my personal experiences... the lists are for the control freak Nazis.
    seriously dude,i dont know you,or ever met you,but i really believe your posts are the most smart comments in the forum...i hope i meet you one day,,will be an honor to shake your hand..

Man, after this, he's gonna have to let you use his shower, too. :lol:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    strummers wrote:
    we've also seen people who will turn whatever queuing situation to their advantage. No matter what "system" (or lack of) is in place, there will be those people who abuse it to their advantage. It's shit, it shouldn't happen, but it will!

Haha, that's true. Very well put into words. :corn:

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    I think a list is a good idea and is meaning well but it also can turn ugly and fascist.

But there is allways people who try to sneak in front (happend in London 07 with some german idiots and Dublin 10 with a british couple) and then it's fun to see the "Adolf Listlers" (often female) scream and getting aggressive :)

But then the 10C "fans" who have waited all day in front still just stand there with their fucking backpacks on, taking pics of Eddie and looking at their taken pictures all through the concert and only looks up when Eddie is coming over or they play a "rare" song.

Experienced that in Sthlm. Fuck those people. Fuck them more than the pushing "casuals" or the stupid flags. Your not collectiong rare Hockey cards, enjoy the show instead of crossing of all the Crown of thorns and All those yesterdays from your rare-song list.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    But then the 10C "fans" who have waited all day in front still just stand there with their fucking backpacks on, taking pics of Eddie and looking at their taken pictures all through the concert and only looks up when Eddie is coming over or they play a "rare" song.

Experienced that in Sthlm. Fuck those people. Fuck them more than the pushing "casuals" or the stupid flags. Your not collectiong rare Hockey cards, enjoy the show instead of crossing of all the Crown of thorns and All those yesterdays from your rare-song list.

Hehehe, you should be scared of Ed if you plan to be close to the stage and not rocking. I am still planning to get that Vancouver boot where Ed was kicking the people at front for not rocking hard enough. Just to hear that one.:)

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    There shouldn't be a line, and there shouldn't be a list, there should only be a lottery. Someone lazy bastard who shows up 10 minutes before the door opens should have the exact same chance to enter the venue first as someone who camped outside all night. Some people have jobs, families, etc and can't wait in line for hours.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    MG79478 wrote:
    There shouldn't be a line, and there shouldn't be a list, there should only be a lottery. Someone lazy bastard who shows up 10 minutes before the door opens should have the exact same chance to enter the venue first as someone who camped outside all night. Some people have jobs, families, etc and can't wait in line for hours.
    In GA shows, how would that lottery you are talking about work?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

People line up, and they hand out numbered bracelets. A number is drawn at random and that person is the front of the line.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

People line up, and they hand out numbered bracelets. A number is drawn at random and that person is the front of the line.

Yes and they should draw circles in GA area, rite? Everyone stands at their circle. IF you step to other circle, you are out.

• Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    Yes and they should draw circles in GA area, rite? Everyone stands at their circle. IF you step to other circle, you are out.

Now that's just ridiculous... they'd have to use fences, and to optimize space, use squares instead of circles.

Note that this bracelet lottery isn't some crazy idea I thought of to be "fair". This is something actually in use at venues, the first time I saw it was about 15 years ago. So it's nothing new.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

Now that's just ridiculous... they'd have to use fences, and to optimize space, use squares instead of circles.

Note that this bracelet lottery isn't some crazy idea I thought of to be "fair". This is something actually in use at venues, the first time I saw it was about 15 years ago. So it's nothing new.

Haha, yes, fences... :lol:

If the aim is to get the hardest rocking people to the front to give energy to the band, your idea might work.

It might be good that the front people will not have to be the most worn-out, dehydrated and possibly smelly people, standing for 12-hours in line.

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    No list. If you want a good spot, you should have to wait in line with everyone else. If you want a break to pee, food, etc, that should be allowed. There should be enough food carts/trucks in the area that you can disappear down the corner for a few minutes and be back.

I do like the idea of the wristbands though. Wristbands randomly assigned when you get your tickets. Wristband #1 enters first and so on and so on. If you line up to get a wristband, doesn't that defeat the point? Honestly, it sounds like the GA area will be so small, it won't make much of a difference.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I did the GA line thing for U2 a few times and last tour there was a small group of people that were at every show and ran the line, they did a decent job of it and normally could enlist the help of the stadium security to help out. Having said that, getting to the line the day before to get your line number, then coming back at 4:30am to line up for the next 14 hours to even get in, then making the mad dash to the rail, then holding the rail spot before the show, during the warm up band and then holding your ground during the show is just way too much stress for me to really enjoy the show.

Most of the people in the line are nice and decent. But I can tell you the mad dash to the rail can turn some into savages.

Any more GA is fine, but I will come in later and stand at the side or the back and enjoy the show.
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    Holy Shit that was a lot of words.

The list is bullshit. You wanna be up front be early.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Holy Shit that was a lot of words.

The list is bullshit. You wanna be up front be early.

:lol: probably the longest post I've made!

just wanted to make the point that GA can turn ordinary people into crazies and I want no part of that
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    For DeLuna Fest a few of us made a mad dash to the rail on beach sand only to realize we were the only ones there. Felt kind of silly. All the workers were like why are these people running. Everyone was just so laid back there. But it was worth it.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,803
    The line and the list....
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't some of you Pearl Jam people actually have the POLICE involved, in Missoula?
    All because of the line and the list?
    Right?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    My sister and her boyfriend went to a few shows in europe last year and they said by far the worst part of the whole experience was the people policing the line, giving numbers and making "the list."

They said it was a group of self entitled goofs that were using a system to abuse it. It really pisses me off to hear this but with how crazy a lot of pearl jam fans are, I'm not surprised.

The best part they said was as they lined up, they were a few hundred people back and the security opened up like 8 gates at once and the way the line snaked, they ended up being like 4th in their line. (I love how Karma works :))

Personally, the only true way to be in line is you get in line and wait your time. Go as a pair and one of you at a time go for food and bathroom. no buggering off for pre-parties or whatever. If you want the rail, you have to put in the time. End of it.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    No list. If you want a good spot, you should have to wait in line with everyone else. If you want a break to pee, food, etc, that should be allowed. There should be enough food carts/trucks in the area that you can disappear down the corner for a few minutes and be back.

^^ This.

Get there early and put in your time in the line to get your spot upfront. No lists, no sneaking 10 of your friends into the line. If you want a good spot, get there early.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

Didn't some of you Pearl Jam people actually have the POLICE involved, in Missoula?
    Right?
    Let me guess? You're in charge of the 'list'. I got your bail money. ;)
    #FHP
  • Options
    Policing of tickets on this board.
    Policing of the GA line.

This place is getting annoying.

• Options

Right?

I don't remember that?? But of course I spent every second drinking till the show started. Walked in... Pretty much could stand wherever you wanted. I laughed at all the people that were sober from standing in line for hours!
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

Right?

I don't remember that?? But of course I spent every second drinking till the show started. Walked in... Pretty much could stand wherever you wanted. I laughed at all the people that were sober from standing in line for hours!
    Didn't wait in line for GA, didn't wait in line for merch, and didn't even have to wait in line in the beer garden.
    #FHP
  • Options
    My sister and her boyfriend went to a few shows in europe last year and they said by far the worst part of the whole experience was the people policing the line, giving numbers and making "the list."

They said it was a group of self entitled goofs that were using a system to abuse it. It really pisses me off to hear this but with how crazy a lot of pearl jam fans are, I'm not surprised.

The best part they said was as they lined up, they were a few hundred people back and the security opened up like 8 gates at once and the way the line snaked, they ended up being like 4th in their line. (I love how Karma works :))

Personally, the only true way to be in line is you get in line and wait your time. Go as a pair and one of you at a time go for food and bathroom. no buggering off for pre-parties or whatever. If you want the rail, you have to put in the time. End of it.
    Yep.

The "Perceived Hierarchy"
    The "Holier Than Thou"
    The "Self Entitled"

Those fuckers get on my nerves.
    BIGTIME!!!
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396

Yep.

The "Perceived Hierarchy"
    The "Holier Than Thou"
    The "Self Entitled"

Those fuckers get on my nerves.
    BIGTIME!!!

Somebody's "stirring"........ ;) .................. :lol:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    Horos wrote:

Right?

Didn't wait in line for GA, didn't wait in line for merch, and didn't even have to wait in line in the beer garden.

This, this and this.
  • Options

Somebody's "stirring"........ ;) .................. :lol:
    No I am not.
    I am just giving my opinion.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    So, just some random person makes this list? Then what do they do? Check off names as they enter? I really dont get it.

I was in the longest line I've ever seen (near the end) for a GA Pj show a few years back, and all sorts of people were just running up to the front and cutting in. There will be idiots everywhere, but who the fuck cares? I was still 40-50 yards form the stage and had a blast. Obsessing about lists, and order, and waiting in line for days would just make me hate the concert.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)