Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Yes, i knew that dawn didn't mean to, but i was wondering if beth stabbed her pathetically in the shoulder in order for the possibility of sacrificing herself so noah could be free?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

Yes, i knew that dawn didn't mean to, but i was wondering if beth stabbed her pathetically in the shoulder in order for the possibility of sacrificing herself so noah could be free?

I just don't see Beth yearning to be a martyr. I think she wanted to be back with her group. I think she had toughened up enough that she thought Dawn had to die. I don't think she put much thought into it because it wasn't really a smart thing to do.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887

I thought the van drop looked stupid too, until it was explained that the drop was way higher than it seemed to be. Just bad editing, i guess.

Was beth sacrificing herself for noah, or did she not know that was going to happen? I no longer have cable, so couldn't watch talking dead. Norman reedus is a fabulous actor. And rick shooting the guy in the head and then muttering "shut up". That was classic.

The theory is that Dawn accidently shot Beth - that she really did not mean to. And that certainly makes sense to me. Thw shot and stabbing were almost simultaneous. And Dawn looked surprised and apologetic for that short moment before Daryl shot her in the head.
    yeah at first i didn't think it was Dawn who shot beth cause the look on her face was total surprise.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Dammit i wish i could see talking dead.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:

One easy abbreviation: NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Anything with a prerequisite secretive nature, and those involved will be required to sign one of these, at SIGNIFICANT financial penalties for breaching the contract. All of a sudden, keeping quiet seems much easier at that point.

Yes, that does make a lot more sense. ;) ty

• Options
    I can't believe AMC posted a picture of daryl carrying beth saying "RIP beth" seconds after it aired on the east coast, but before everywhere else. How stupid is that social media person they have.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I may be done with the show now. I think my complaints about the story-telling are well known at this point, and I did have high hopes at the beginning of the season, but the last few episodes followed with Beth's death may have just cashed it in for me.

I will say Beth was one of the few characters I liked, but that isn't my gripe, I mean I still watch AGoT, I kept watching Dexter after Doakes and he was about the only character I liked up to that point, my problem is how it is handled.

Her whole death seemed to focus on the fact that they needed a mid-season death and went with the most expendable character. Nothing in her actions related to her character at all. She went from an innocent suicidal bunny to a homicidal idiot in one scene? And for what reason? She saved Noah before, she knows Rick and the group, Beth would seem more likely to leave with the group meet up with her sister than talk Rick and Daryl into going back for Noah.

Beth at no point seemed like the type to start a fire fight, maybe if there would have been some talk with Dawn about killing all the other dirty cops after they pushed the one down the shaft I may have bought this change in Beth. She had to assume trying to kill the leader of the other group would start a fight, so just to blatantly attack her like that was stupid.

The only way this inconsistent character action holds up is if everyone starts doing it. Does Abraham kill himself over Beth's death? Maybe Glenn or Daryl?

Characters are not plot devices. And if this is a show about characters it is falling flat, if it is about an undefined plot then it is ok, I guess.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,853
    I thought the mid season finale was easily one of the best episodes in a long time. The show didn't drag on and covered a lot of ground. Surprising that Beth stabbed her, but I think she got to the point where she needed to take a stand for the wrongs that were happening and it was her last chance to do so. I was a little disappointed only Noah left with Rick, seemed like more people should have gone with him, like after the govn'r.

I mean the whole point of the show/comic is to try and maintain humanity in an inhumane world, right. How long can you turn a blind eye / not give people second chances etc...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Hopefully we'll get to see more of Glenn, Maggie, Rosita and Abraham.
    And less of Carl and Judith.
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options

I may be done with the show now. I think my complaints about the story-telling are well known at this point, and I did have high hopes at the beginning of the season, but the last few episodes followed with Beth's death may have just cashed it in for me.

I will say Beth was one of the few characters I liked, but that isn't my gripe, I mean I still watch AGoT, I kept watching Dexter after Doakes and he was about the only character I liked up to that point, my problem is how it is handled.

Her whole death seemed to focus on the fact that they needed a mid-season death and went with the most expendable character. Nothing in her actions related to her character at all. She went from an innocent suicidal bunny to a homicidal idiot in one scene? And for what reason? She saved Noah before, she knows Rick and the group, Beth would seem more likely to leave with the group meet up with her sister than talk Rick and Daryl into going back for Noah.

Beth at no point seemed like the type to start a fire fight, maybe if there would have been some talk with Dawn about killing all the other dirty cops after they pushed the one down the shaft I may have bought this change in Beth. She had to assume trying to kill the leader of the other group would start a fight, so just to blatantly attack her like that was stupid.

The only way this inconsistent character action holds up is if everyone starts doing it. Does Abraham kill himself over Beth's death? Maybe Glenn or Daryl?

Characters are not plot devices. And if this is a show about characters it is falling flat, if it is about an undefined plot then it is ok, I guess.

she wasn't suicidal. she wasn't going to jump down the shaft. that was just Dawn mocking her, trying to make her feel weak.

the point, in my eyes, of Beth doing what she did, was out of pure anger at that point. Did you see the look in Beth's eyes when Dawn said "I knew you'd be back" to Noah? she snapped, and her stabbing her was her best attempt at retribution. she wasn't thinking clearly. I thought it was excellently done. Did I enjoy the "one group per episode" thing? I never liked that. for background in the early parts of the series, sure, but in the fifth season, I'm not a huge fan. 3 full episodes without Rick, the MAIN protagonist? to me that seems odd.

and Beth was far from an expendable character. She brought hope to the group. She was becoming stronger and stronger all the time.

I don't see this show as being a "we need a death for finale" type of show. but they do build up to a climax at the finales. I think it would be pretty tough to have TWO finales a year to write for. They have to have double the arcs.

the problem is, if someone dies in the middle of the first part of the season, the mid season finale is a letdown. if they do it at the finale, they complain it's predictable. with a show that has fans as passionate as this, I think it would be intense pressure to deliver.

Lost fucked up severly under that pressure. I think WD is doing a great job.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my main complaint about the show is Tyrese being an emotional little bitch. I haven't read the comics, so I wasn't invested in his comic book persona, but his character is still incredibly disappointing to me. he can't even kill zombies? seriously? he should be the one dying, not anyone else.
    and I hate to say it, but with Gabriel, Tyrese, and now Morgan all in the show, not to mention Sasha and Michonne, one of those characters is going to bite it. I will never understand why, but everytime you have more than your "alloted amount" of tv black people, they kill one off. it's bizarre.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746

my main complaint about the show is Tyrese being an emotional little bitch. I haven't read the comics, so I wasn't invested in his comic book persona, but his character is still incredibly disappointing to me. he can't even kill zombies? seriously? he should be the one dying, not anyone else.

Completely agree about Tyrese. Would have made much more sense for him to be the one to go instead of Beth.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    tyreese was a complete badass in the comics. disappointed they made him so soft in the show as well.
  • Options
    rival. said:

tyreese was a complete badass in the comics. disappointed they made him so soft in the show as well.

yeah, a comic book man friend of mine told me he would just walk around, killing people indiscriminately with a hammer. and they turned him into "remember when we were kids, Sasha? remember? *sniff sniff*".

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I kinda like Tyreese as he is. It may be a little extreme though. And I was pissed when he let Martin go, although I knew he was going to do it.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options

Beth at no point seemed like the type to start a fight, maybe if there would have been some talk with Dawn about killing all the other dirty cops after they pushed the one down the shaft I may have bought this change in Beth. She had to assume trying to kill the leader of the other group would start a fight, so just to blatantly attack her like that was stupid.

Beth wasn't trying to kill the leader of the other group. She was fed up with Dawn's passive-aggressive, controlling bullshit and she snapped a little, by sticking the fork or whatever in her shoulder, not killing her. It was a stupid move--she had to have known that something was going to happen, but I really don't think she thought she'd be killed for it because she had all her family behind her to back her up. She finally felt safe for the first time again since she had been stuck in that hospital. And then it did seem like Dawn shot her gun as almost a reflex but also in the same way that Dawn slapped Beth--acting before thinking. Dawn had that look of surprise and accidental no look, almost right before Darryl shot her because she realized too late that her acting before thinking method just cost her her life in the end.

Suicidal bunny Beth as you or someone put it was in season 2. This Beth has evolved since then, and has taken more chances along the way. Its a world where any of them could die easily. You've got people from Terminus who eat people. You have basically all the survivors not completely trusting each other. I really don't think her death was just for ratings. I think the writers put a lot of thought into it.

• Options
    ONE WEEK!!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    yes.... cant wait.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    I'm more pumped for Better Call Saul....but I"m also missing some zombies!
  • Options
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    After the last season and a half I'm not even watching tonight's episode. I will wait until the season ends and if I hear it wasn't a drag out I will watch it. I am sick of 2-3 episodes of material stretched to 8. I know money and ratings are part of the game but this show is taking milking your fans base to Marvel comic highest. They need to stop splitting seasons, it is ruining the show.
  • Options
    I was more sad when Beth died than Tyrese. I thought he was gonna survive. Although he didn't really do to much in the show. Was he more of a factor in the comics?

Just found out the guy who plays Noah is Chris from Everybody Hate Chris. I knew he looked familiar but just couldn't put my finger on where. So that's two people from that show (the other being Chris' friend) from season 4. When is Terry Crews gonna be on the show?
    141853-everybody-hates-chris-walking-EWuo.jpeg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Reading a review for 5 minutes saved me a lot of time not watching the episode last night. So it seems TWD is sticking to their one black dude limit, stay classy. I guess Noah is safe until they introduce another black male to the group....
  • Options
    sucks to see him gone, i enjoyed his character on the show.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Reading a review for 5 minutes saved me a lot of time not watching the episode last night. So it seems TWD is sticking to their one black dude limit, stay classy. I guess Noah is safe until they introduce another black male to the group....

The just stop watching it if you don't enjoy the show.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    If you would have read my post you had quoted you would see I didn't watch it, I read a review on the episode.

I really hope Lincoln is being honest when he said this season would be 'radically different.' TWD was one of the few shows I watched so I hope it comes back around to greatest. But after last night's review and fan comments it seems last night, at least, was more of the same. I've seen quite a few people comment that it was the worst episode, or as bad as the Daryl and Beth drunken slumber party episode.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Maybe the worst episode so far....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Maybe the worst episode so far....

for a second half season opener i agree. Just seemed like they tried to go with the shock em approach with the death of another main character again after Beth, which i think was too early.

I have not read the comics
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    That was a pretty lame second half start. Ugh!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    mca47 said:

That was a pretty lame second half start. Ugh!

Yep. Pretty rough start to the 2nd half of the season. Like others have said in this thread, it seems like they kill characters off in finales/openers just for the shock value.