Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

Jesus, you people. It was a fantastic episode showing them all on the brink. The storm was obviously a metaphor for them weathering their own storm. they came together as a group at the end, after the literal storm had passed. Now they have a new obstacle in front of them disguised as the sunny day ahead. Will he be? Or is he just another storm in wait?

Not every episode is going to have blood and gore. Why do you watch this show?

Oh no! Someone has an opinion that's different than yours!
    not at all. but all some people do is bitch about the show. why watch it?

I do generally enjoy the show. Just because I watch it on a regular basis doesn't mean I'm going to like every single thing about it. I don't expect constant blood and gore, but I just found myself rather bored with these first 2 episodes. Both were very predictable.
    fair enough. my original comment wasn't directed at you specifically; there just seems to be a lot of general bitching about it.

although, I guess my question of "why watch it?" was unfair, as I hate-watched Lost for several seasons HOPING HOPING HOPING it would redeem itself, and it never did.

I spoke with my buddy who reads all the comics and books of TWD, and he told me about this Aaron guy, what his deal is, and what is to come. Rest assured: shit is going to get REAL very soon.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

Jesus, you people. It was a fantastic episode showing them all on the brink. The storm was obviously a metaphor for them weathering their own storm. they came together as a group at the end, after the literal storm had passed. Now they have a new obstacle in front of them disguised as the sunny day ahead. Will he be? Or is he just another storm in wait?

I do generally enjoy the show. Just because I watch it on a regular basis doesn't mean I'm going to like every single thing about it. I don't expect constant blood and gore, but I just found myself rather bored with these first 2 episodes. Both were very predictable.
    fair enough. my original comment wasn't directed at you specifically; there just seems to be a lot of general bitching about it.

although, I guess my question of "why watch it?" was unfair, as I hate-watched Lost for several seasons HOPING HOPING HOPING it would redeem itself, and it never did.

I spoke with my buddy who reads all the comics and books of TWD, and he told me about this Aaron guy, what his deal is, and what is to come. Rest assured: shit is going to get REAL very soon.

I think all the bitching is what just comes with the territory for what is one of the most popular shows on TV.

Isn't that the way everyone watched Lost??? Don't even get me started on that show.

Never read the comics so I have no idea what to expect here with this Aaron dude. It's so hard to avoid all of the spoilers that are out there.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

interesting take on the storm, one i did not see.

I questioned the storm as it looked like a tornado came through on a course right next to the barn.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting that nature took care of the walkers for them. yeah, I think the storm bothered some as it seemed like the group was spared the destruction of it. i guess that was a "sign" to the priest. i was shocked when he threw his neck thing in the fire.

what did everyone think of rick coming out and saying "we are the walking dead"? I honestly thought the title of the show all along was a double meaning, that the survivors were actually the walking dead, but you don't usually hear a character on the show saying the title of the show. interesting.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I think all the bitching is what just comes with the territory for what is one of the most popular shows on TV.

Isn't that the way everyone watched Lost??? Don't even get me started on that show.

Never read the comics so I have no idea what to expect here with this Aaron dude. It's so hard to avoid all of the spoilers that are out there.
    good point.

I know there is/was a thread on Lost where loads of people loved the show, beginning to end. the first season was one of the best on tv. then it just got stupid, in my opinion. but I still watched. how stupid is that?

the great thing is, with the potential spoilers out there, with the comics and whatnot, you still don't really know what is going to happen, if the show is going to follow the comics to the letter or not. avoiding spoilers gives me great reason to stay away from the internet!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

good point.

I know there is/was a thread on Lost where loads of people loved the show, beginning to end. the first season was one of the best on tv. then it just got stupid, in my opinion. but I still watched. how stupid is that?

the great thing is, with the potential spoilers out there, with the comics and whatnot, you still don't really know what is going to happen, if the show is going to follow the comics to the letter or not. avoiding spoilers gives me great reason to stay away from the internet!

Yeah, I watched Lost all the way through as well. First season was great and the later seasons definitely had some great moments (Not Penny's boat,etc...), but it just got too silly. So much that was never answered.

True. It is nice that they haven't stuck exactly to what happens in the comics. I've read a few things here and there, but have mostly been able to avoid all of the spoilers.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Ive tried to watch this show.... It was OK. Season 1 lost me. Season 2 was a bit slow and got sick of the Farm, but whatever. It seemed Season 3 was really good for the most part, but relied a lot on the slogging episode then cliffhanger at the end formula. Season 4 was pretty decent too for the 1st half...
    But I got through the Beth/darryl finding alcohol episode... which sucked. Then a Bob-centric episode that was awful... I kept falling asleep and didnt finish so I need to rewatch, but I just cant stomach it. Ive been stuck for about 3 months.

The show is decent, but I dont really get the hype and amount of people who are nuts for it. Never really liked any of the characters (liked Herschel for the most part and his grounded macro views/narrative on everything), and like Darryl is universally likeable obviously. Everyone else, not so much. Not really invested in any characters enough to care that much, and with Herschel you knew he was a goner when they had his centric episode.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    the show is getting worst at every episode
    last episode was lame
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

last episode was lame

Yeah, says the dude who thought Lost was the best tv series ever made. Lol.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

last episode was lame

you are the director of the walking dead??and u got offended?
    the episode was lame...
    +plus this show is a bad copy paste of Lost...
    LOST change the history of the tv shows..worldwide..
    no need to mention the records how millions watch it worldwide..
    season 3,episode 1 of LOST is the biggest exable of all..

and let me answer your irony about me....with a...Lol
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

last episode was lame

the episode was lame...

Calm down dude. Offended? What are you on about? I just think its funny that you criticize this show for being lame, but think lost is the best ever. Season one of lost rocked. The rest was utter shit. And dont use the "millions watched it worldwide" as an argument for being good. If that were the barometer, then you must think britney spears is better than pearl jam.

Not sure why you keep saying it is a copy paste of lost. If it were, i wouldn't be watching it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

last episode was lame

the episode was lame...

Calm down dude. Offended? What are you on about? I just think its funny that you criticize this show for being lame, but think lost is the best ever. Season one of lost rocked. The rest was utter shit. And dont use the "millions watched it worldwide" as an argument for being good. If that were the barometer, then you must think britney spears is better than pearl jam.

Not sure why you keep saying it is a copy paste of lost. If it were, i wouldn't be watching it.
    im alot of years around here and i know better than anyone to not continue bullshit debates..
    and i said is a BAD copy paste of LOST...
    LOST was a PHENOMENON...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    might just have to watch lost now.....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options

last episode was lame

the episode was lame...

im alot of years around here and i know better than anyone to not continue bullshit debates..
    and i said is a BAD copy paste of LOST...
    LOST was a PHENOMENON...
    not understanding the hostility at all, dude. whatever. carry on.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Nami said:

might just have to watch lost now.....

watch season 1 and pretend that was it. everything else is a waste of life. :)

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Have to say, I don't see the Lost/Walking Dead comparison
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

yeah, that one's lost on me too.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

yeah, that one's lost on me too.

The only thing I see similar is that it's a group of people trying to survive. Other than that, completely different shows.
  • Options
    - Group of people walking around trying to survive
    - back and forth stories of characters
    -episodes with only one character played at whole episoide and his past life
    -flashbacks
    -"others" - other groups unknown dont know who are they if are good or bad..
    -wandering around meeting new groups of survivors
    -death at end or start of the season of main caracters
    -noone knew where are they and how the time travel worked at the island and trying to find to solve it while only one person that noone knows knows the secret - same how this happened with zombies and try to find the solution while only one person that noone knows knows the secret
    -people make smaller teams and duets inside the big team..
    -team splits and reunite all the time
    -even a small baby in the group
    -the whole proccess how "normal people "become,fighters,survivors,killers
    and more...

all patterns of LOST..
  • Options
    edited February 2015

-flashbacks
    -noone knew where are they and how the time travel worked at the island and trying to find to solve it while only one person that noone knows knows the secret - same how this happened with zombies and try to find the solution while only one person that noone knows knows the secret
    and more...

all patterns of LOST..

TWD is based on a comic that first came out in 2003. Lost started in 2004. Obviously there are some similarites, but TWD is not a Lost ripoff.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    those are not traits that Lost invented. those are traits of any survivor/apocalypse story. the flashbacks are what made Lost terrible. entire episodes devoted to one character (something I have also been critical of with TWD, the few times they've done it-like Daryl and Beth getting drunk, etc) is just terrible. they went nearly entire seasons of no story development. just character back stories. it was boring as fuck to me.

no answers. just more quesitons. such a frustrating show.

and many of the points you made are also things that all dramatic shows do. did millions watch it? yes. phenomenon? um, so was star trek. anytime you have a series based in fantasy/science fiction, you are going to have a fanbase that is rabid like that.

but the ratings steadily DECLINED over the life of the show, where TWD ratings steadily INCREASE by season. and don't get me started on that piece of shit series finale. LOL

anyway, I just don't see the comparison. we get it, you don't like TWD. that's pretty clear. there have been some bumps along the way, for sure, but I still think it's a great show. I'm looking foward to the rest of this season. From what I've read and what my buddy tells me is in the comics (again, not a storyline guarantee), it should be pretty crazy.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884

-flashbacks
    and more...

all patterns of LOST..

One could also argue those are all patterns found in other shows, movies, and books well before Lost started.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

-flashbacks
    and more...

all patterns of LOST..

TWD is based on a comic that first came out in 2003. Lost started in 2004. Obviously there are some similarites, but TWD is not a Lost ripoff.
    didnt say anything about ripoff..said about the way the shows puts out and sell the character and story to the audience...they using the same style as Lost
    even how the music starts at a scene before the logo - credits shows...
  • Options

those are not traits that Lost invented. those are traits of any survivor/apocalypse story. the flashbacks are what made Lost terrible. entire episodes devoted to one character (something I have also been critical of with TWD, the few times they've done it-like Daryl and Beth getting drunk, etc) is just terrible. they went nearly entire seasons of no story development. just character back stories. it was boring as fuck to me.

and many of the points you made are also things that all dramatic shows do. did millions watch it? yes. phenomenon? um, so was star trek. anytime you have a series based in fantasy/science fiction, you are going to have a fanbase that is rabid like that.

but the ratings steadily DECLINED over the life of the show, where TWD ratings steadily INCREASE by season. and don't get me started on that piece of shit series finale. LOL

anyway, I just don't see the comparison. we get it, you don't like TWD. that's pretty clear. there have been some bumps along the way, for sure, but I still think it's a great show. I'm looking foward to the rest of this season. From what I've read and what my buddy tells me is in the comics (again, not a storyline guarantee), it should be pretty crazy.

didnt say anything that i dont like the show...
    that was trhe problem in the first place
    i judge the show episode..you judge me...and "you thought was funny"
    what happened with LOST worldwide was a phenomenon...like it or not..is what happened
  • Options

-flashbacks
    and more...

all patterns of LOST..

One could also argue those are all patterns found in other shows, movies, and books well before Lost started.
    sure....im not talking for the story..tfor sure there were deads,survivors at shows before..
    im talking about the way they selling the story..the methods they connect the characters with the audience,how they selling the mystery,the survival and all
  • Options

what happened with LOST worldwide was a phenomenon...like it or not..is what happened
    you have said of the last several episodes that they were terrible. if this doesn't mean you don't like the show, then my bad.

I didn't judge YOU. I made a joke about your opinion of TWD in context of your love for another show that, in my opinion, was terrible after season one. it was nothing personal dude. it was a joke. that's what the "LOL" was for at the end of it.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

you have said of the last several episodes that they were terrible. if this doesn't mean you don't like the show, then my bad.

I didn't judge YOU. I made a joke about your opinion of TWD in context of your love for another show that, in my opinion, was terrible after season one. it was nothing personal dude. it was a joke. that's what the "LOL" was for at the end of it.

it called irony..
    is like we talk in a topic about raise kids is difficult and i say about you
    "comes from a guy got a divorce..LOL"
    i dont see any joke in this..and for sure,is not a good one if was suppose to be a joke..

• Options

it called irony..
    i dont see any joke in this..and for sure,is not a good one if was suppose to be a joke..

um, a tv show is not a personal and difficult life situation. it's a personal preference. jesus.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

it called irony..

um, a tv show is not a personal and difficult life situation. it's a personal preference. jesus.

you can call me Dimitris,no need to call me Jesus....
    ^^ now thats a good joke ;)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    dimi - i think you are missing a key point. this show is based off a comic book that started to get written almost 12 years ago. the show has done a relatively loyal job following the comics the best they could for television. they had to dial back a lot of the violence to make it fit for TV, and dial up the character development and dramatics --- again to make it fit for TV. if this show was a "kill everything that moves" show, it would have never lasted beyond the first six episodes that basically acted as a pilot for the program.

this is the first television show i have been loyal to and watched on a regular basis since futurama. does everyone take television shows this fucking seriously? my god. some episodes are strong than others. deal with it and stop the bitching. i am glad this is the only one i pay attention to as i think everyone's feedback from the losts, breaking bads, etc would drive me fucking crazy.