Options

2017 Buffalo Bills - The hunt for a playoff berth

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited December 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
My uncle from Buffalo called and asked if I wanted to come over to the party celebrating Dick Jauron's dismissal. I said, "Nah, I went to that party 5 years ago when da Bears sacked him as head coach."

There are so many future Hall of Fame coaches on the market (Dungy, Gruden, Shannahan) and other up-in-comers like Jim Harbaugh but I doubt they'd want to coach in Buffalo. That's why I think former Bills savior Frank Reich (best comeback game of all-time vs Oilers) could be a good candidate. He is the QB coach a Indy and might be promoted one day soon.

The Bills looks like shit now but at least they have some future promise now that Dick Jauron is out of the picture.
Post edited by davidtrios on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    While I'm not some huge Dick Jauron supporter ... tough to win with the talent they've had during his tenure.

The 2 QBs he was saddled with during his 3+ years were JP Losman and Trent Edwards. No one could win with that.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Adios, Skeletor!!!!!!
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    My uncle from Buffalo called and asked if I wanted to come over to the party celebrating Dick Jauron's dismissal. I said, "Nah, I went to that party 5 years ago when da Bears sacked him as head coach."

There are so many future Hall of Fame coaches on the market (Dungy, Gruden, Shannahan) and other up-in-comers like Jim Harbaugh but I doubt they'd want to coach in Buffalo. That's why I think former Bills savior Frank Reich (best comeback game of all-time vs Oilers) could be a good candidate. He is the QB coach a Indy and might be promoted one day soon.

The Bills looks like shit now but at least they have some future promise now that Dick Jauron is out of the picture.
    Nobody decent will want to coach in buffalo. Our front office needs napalm and wilson needs to spend the money and also agree not to meddle. Don't see all that happening
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sorry, but shannonnanannnhan is coming to Chicago
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    sorry, but shannonnanannnhan is coming to Chicago
    I really don't think Lovie is going anywhere. Ron Turner on the other hand, gonskie.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    Flutie should be the coach
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    huge Dick

LMAO!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Nobody decent will want to coach in buffalo. Our front office needs napalm and wilson needs to spend the money and also agree not to meddle. Don't see all that happening

Somebody will want to coach in Buffalo because its the NFL, its the highest you can go as a head coach. A top college coach who has never coached the NFL will go there.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Somebody will want to coach in Buffalo because its the NFL, its the highest you can go as a head coach. A top college coach who has never coached the NFL will go there.

But that's not what Buffalo needs... At this point they need an established coach and a GM who knows what
    they are doing. Part of the problem is that they keep bringing in unproven guys to coach.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    that is kind of my point. We can get the next George Halas out of the college coaching ranks and it really wouldnt matter. There is no cohesion in the front office. Our acting GM is a marketing guy who's football experience is playing a couple seasons at St John Fisher University. He is flanked by a Pro Scout who has signed one horrific flop after another.... and also Modrak. As a unit they have held this team in the dark ages.

They wipe the front office out, get a guy in who has an idea on how to build a successful football program, and the head coach becomes somewhat secondary.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    that is kind of my point. We can get the next George Halas out of the college coaching ranks and it really wouldnt matter. There is no cohesion in the front office. Our acting GM is a marketing guy who's football experience is playing a couple seasons at St John Fisher University. He is flanked by a Pro Scout who has signed one horrific flop after another.... and also Modrak. As a unit they have held this team in the dark ages.

They wipe the front office out, get a guy in who has an idea on how to build a successful football program, and the head coach becomes somewhat secondary.

Yeah, you guys def need the Bill Parcells football-czar type hiring to get everything into shape from top to bottom. Not many of those guys out there... I know Holmgren's name is out there. He definitely has the football intelligence, but I don't know how well he'd be able to build an entire organization.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I think Bills fans would be happy if J Kelly was head coach, thurman Offensive coordinator, Bruce as Defensive coordinator and Don Beebe as Special Teams coach. how awesome would that be? :ugeek:
  • Options
    word is out that the Bills and Mike Shanahan will be having talks about hiring Shanahan for HC and complete control of the football operation.

Id be very happy with that.
  • Options
    Maybe TO will actually catch, catchable balls now!!!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    word is out that the Bills and Mike Shanahan will be having talks about hiring Shanahan for HC and complete control of the football operation.

Actually, word is that Shanahan is in line for the job in Washington and he's just using the apparent interest from Buffalo to drive up his asking price.
    10/1/96, 10/14/00, 5/2/03, 6/28/03, 10/1/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/19/05, 5/9/06, 5/10/06, 5/12/06, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 8/12/08 6/8/09 6/9/09(EV), 8/21/09, 10/27-28-30-31/09, 5/10/10
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Actually, word is that Shanahan is in line for the job in Washington and he's just using the apparent interest from Buffalo to drive up his asking price.

i'm sure snyder money bags will pay top dollar for a HOF coach. Zorn is a joke
  • Options
    None of these teams are going to win with what they are trolling out what they have been at QB every week.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    None of these teams are going to win with what they are trolling out what they have been at QB every week.

it's not only about the quality of the qb (i know 1st hand as a bears fan)
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

and as a Bears fan, how have you fared with the litany of crap you've thrown out there the past 20 years?

Cutler will improve, I'm pretty confident of that ... but right now, he's a mess.

Do you really think the Bills can with with Edwards or Fitzpatrick or the Redskins can win with Campbell or Collins?

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

and as a Bears fan, how have you fared with the litany of crap you've thrown out there the past 20 years?

Cutler will improve, I'm pretty confident of that ... but right now, he's a mess.

Do you really think the Bills can with with Edwards or Fitzpatrick or the Redskins can win with Campbell or Collins?

well, they won a superbowl with Jim McMahon (78.2 career passer rating) and went to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman (70.2 rating). So, I repeat, it's not only about the QB.
  • Options

well, they won a superbowl with Jim McMahon (78.2 career passer rating) and went to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman (70.2 rating). So, I repeat, it's not only about the QB.

No, it's not only about the QB, but, how many teams have won with shitty QBs?

How much do the odds improve with a great QB?

• Options
    edited November 2009
    jimed14 wrote:

No, it's not only about the QB, but, how many teams have won with shitty QBs?

How much do the odds improve with a great QB?

You have NO idea what you're talking about. I would define a great QB with a rating above 90, or for arguments sake let's say 85. Here is a list of Super Bowl winning QB's with their career ratings:

Starr 80.5
    Namath 65.5
    Dawson 82.6
    Unitas 78.2
    Stabach 83.4
    Bob Greise 77.1
    Bradshaw 70.4
    Plunkett 67.5
    Montana 92.3
    Theismann 77.4
    Simms 78.5
    D. Williams 69.4
    Hostetler 80.5
    Rypien 78.9
    Aikman 81.6
    Young 96.8
    Favre 86.1
    Elway 79.9
    Warner 93.6
    Dilfer 70.2
    Brady 93.6
    B Johnson 82.5
    B. Roelthisberger 90.5
    P. Manning 95.3
    Eli Manning 77.6

So, out of 26 SB Winning Qb's, only 7 have a rating above 85. This is 27%.

Let me reiterate for the ones who know not what they speak. IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT THE QB. Do your homework son.
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    Career QB ratings aren't the same as the QB ratings in the year they won ... for example ...

Brad Johnson, career QB rating 82.5 ... but in 2002, when the Bucs won, his QB rating was 92.9 … big difference.

Also, the game has completely changed ... you can't just slap up QB ratings of guys from a past era and expect to compare them to today's QBs and how the game is played today ... here are the top 10 career QB ratings ...

1. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
    2. Peyton Manning 95.3 1998-2009 clt
    3. Tony Romo 94.5 2004-2009 dal
    4. Philip Rivers 93.8 2004-2009 sdg
    5. Tom Brady 93.6 2000-2009 nwe
    Kurt Warner 93.6 1998-2009 3TM
    7. Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM
    8. Drew Brees 90.5 2001-2009 2TM
    Ben Roethlisberger 90.5 2004-2009 pit
    10. Chad Pennington 90.1 2000-2009 2TM

A few things to note …
    1) There are a lot of Superbowl rings on that list
    2) These guys are mostly recent … certainly, all a product of how the game is played in this era.
    3) QB rating isn’t the only metric you should use when determining a great QB (Tony Romo, Chad Pennington … c’mon)

Finally, as stated before … my point … It's not all about the QB, but ... do you really think the Bills can with with Edwards or Fitzpatrick or the Redskins can win with Campbell or Collins?

Homework done … SON!

• Options
    A. Greatness is NOT defined by one year (i.e Brad Johnson, Dilfer and the other 73% of this list). Greatness is defined by a career.
    B. If you think Romo and Pennington are Great you are nuts! They haven't even won a Conference Championship game let alone a freakin' Super Bowl).
    C. I didn't think Buffalo or Washington can win with those shiteous Qb's until I did some research.

booyah.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Career QB ratings aren't the same as the QB ratings in the year they won ... for example ...

Brad Johnson, career QB rating 82.5 ... but in 2002, when the Bucs won, his QB rating was 92.9 … big difference.

Also, the game has completely changed ... you can't just slap up QB ratings of guys from a past era and expect to compare them to today's QBs and how the game is played today ... here are the top 10 career QB ratings ...

1. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
    2. Peyton Manning 95.3 1998-2009 clt
    3. Tony Romo 94.5 2004-2009 dal
    4. Philip Rivers 93.8 2004-2009 sdg
    5. Tom Brady 93.6 2000-2009 nwe
    Kurt Warner 93.6 1998-2009 3TM
    7. Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM
    8. Drew Brees 90.5 2001-2009 2TM
    Ben Roethlisberger 90.5 2004-2009 pit
    10. Chad Pennington 90.1 2000-2009 2TM

A few things to note …
    1) There are a lot of Superbowl rings on that list
    2) These guys are mostly recent … certainly, all a product of how the game is played in this era.
    3) QB rating isn’t the only metric you should use when determining a great QB (Tony Romo, Chad Pennington … c’mon)

Finally, as stated before … my point … It's not all about the QB, but ... do you really think the Bills can with with Edwards or Fitzpatrick or the Redskins can win with Campbell or Collins?

Homework done … SON!
  • Options
    A. Greatness is NOT defined by one year (i.e Brad Johnson, Dilfer and the other 73% of this list). Greatness is defined by a career.
    B. If you think Romo and Pennington are Great you are nuts! They haven't even won a Converence Championship game let alone a freakin' Super Bowl).
    C. I didn't Buffalo or Washington can win with those shiteous Qb's until I did some research.

booyah.

first, here was your assumption ...
    I would define a great QB with a rating above 90

Nowhere did I state Romo and Pennington are great, you need to read and conprehend a little better ... you're the one that stated "I would define a great QB with a rating above 90", my point was that these guys have 90+ QB ratings ... thus, you're the one stating they are great QBs.

And for the record, if a great QB has a career rating of over 90, in your opinion, there have been only 10 great QBs in the history of football .. and yeah, Romo and Pennington are two of them. Your assumption.

Greatness can be defined many ways ... you can be great in one year, in a period of time, in one game ... it's all how it comes together.

Another example, Troy Aikman's QB rating ... career, 81.6 as you noted. Not a great QB in your estimation … but, in the 3 years he won championships here are his QB ratings:

92 - 89.5
    93 - 99.0
    95 - 93.6

He was great when the Cowboys won.

Again … my point. A QB is not the only thing you need to win … but, in today's NFL having a shitty QB SEVERELY impairs your chance to win a superbowl.

Oh, and your point “C” … I have no idea what you are trying to say there.

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

You have NO idea what you're talking about. I would define a great QB with a rating above 90, or for arguments sake let's say 85. Here is a list of Super Bowl winning QB's with their career ratings:

Starr 80.5
    Namath 65.5
    Dawson 82.6
    Unitas 78.2
    Stabach 83.4
    Bob Greise 77.1
    Plunkett 67.5
    Montana 92.3
    Theismann 77.4
    Simms 78.5
    D. Williams 69.4
    Hostetler 80.5
    Rypien 78.9
    Aikman 81.6
    Young 96.8
    Favre 86.1
    Elway 79.9
    Warner 93.6
    Dilfer 70.2
    Brady 93.6
    B Johnson 82.5
    B. Roelthisberger 90.5
    P. Manning 95.3
    Eli Manning 77.6

So, out of 26 SB Winning Qb's, only 7 have a rating above 85. This is 27%.

Let me reiterate for the ones who know not what they speak. IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT THE QB. Do your homework son.
    What does this say about the evolution of the game.....it was the 1980's before a Super Bowl winning QB had a rating above 90....(BTW, where's Bradshaw on your list?...and it's Staubach for the record)......and I believe that the majority of those listed before Montana are in the HOF!!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    quote]
    What does this say about the evolution of the game.....it was the 1980's before a Super Bowl winning QB had a rating above 90....(BTW, where's Bradshaw on your list?...and it's Staubach for the record)......and I believe that the majority of those listed before Montana are in the HOF!!!![/quote]

I just added Bradshaw (who had a career passer rating of 70.9). Oh, so sorry for misspelling Staubach. A few of them are Hall of Famers because of their Super Bowl rings and not because of their passer ratings. The evolution of the game has come down to a more passer friendly game, no doubt about that.

When you look at MAJORITY these Champion qb's, you can't argue with their individual numbers and how POOR they are. Stats are not everything, but these support my argument that you don't have to have a great QB to win a championship. The evidence is indisputable.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    quote]
    What does this say about the evolution of the game.....it was the 1980's before a Super Bowl winning QB had a rating above 90....(BTW, where's Bradshaw on your list?...and it's Staubach for the record)......and I believe that the majority of those listed before Montana are in the HOF!!!!

I just added Bradshaw (who had a career passer rating of 70.9). Oh, so sorry for misspelling Staubach. A few of them are Hall of Famers because of their Super Bowl rings and not because of their passer ratings. The evolution of the game has come down to a more passer friendly game, no doubt about that.

When you look at MAJORITY these Champion qb's, you can't argue with their individual numbers and how POOR they are. Stats are not everything, but these support my argument that you don't have to have a great QB to win a championship. The evidence is indisputable.[/quote]
    I would more likely argue with Steve Young's numbers and their importance....if he is so great, then what was his passer rating while in Tampa Bay??? the USFL???? His rise shows that it is still a team sport...from the front office through the coaching staff down to the players on the field. While a great QB helps...it does take much more than that....how HOF players surrounded Fran Trakenton while with the Vikings??? Their Super Bowl record was 0-3...including games where they only scored 7 and 6 points.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    When you look at MAJORITY these Champion qb's, you can't argue with their individual numbers and how POOR they are. Stats are not everything, but these support my argument that you don't have to have a great QB to win a championship. The evidence is indisputable.

The game now is completely different. Have you ever seen the films from a previous era? Receivers were mugged all the way down the field. Heck, it wasn't until the early 80s (I think) that they added the illegal contact, 5 yards off the line of scrimmage penalty. Then they refined it after Peyton Manning whined in 2003 that the Pats were too physical.

You cannot compare pre- Bill Walsh QBs and their QB ratings to post Bill Walsh QBs. That's just silly to compare them apples to apples.

Now, in TODAY'S game, if you don't have a decent QB, you need something like a legandary defense (like the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens) ... otherwise, your chances of winning a superbowl are severely limited ... severely.

• Options
    Here, let’s do this … we’ll go back to 1992 … so, 15+ years … here are the list of QBs you provided with their career QB Ratings …

Aikman 81.6
    Young 96.8
    Favre 86.1
    Elway 79.9
    Warner 93.6
    Dilfer 70.2
    Brady 93.6
    B Johnson 82.5
    B. Roelthisberger 90.5
    P. Manning 95.3
    Eli Manning 77.6

So, who are the QBs you have falling below your 85 career QB rating threshold … and let’s put the QB ratings they had in the years they won championships …

QB - Career Rating - (ratings in the year of their championships)

Aikman 81.6 (89.5, 99.0, 93.6)
    Elway 79.9 (87.5, 93.0)
    Dilfer 70.2 (76.6)
    B Johnson 82.5 (92.9)
    Eli Manning 77.6 (73.9)

So, now we’re down to only 2 QBs that are evidently inferior … Dilfer and Eli.

Dilfer, no doubt, benefitted from one of the most devastating defenses in NFL history.

Eli, also benefitted from an outstanding defense. Smothered the Pats in the Superbowl, no doubt, that championship should be hugely craditted to the defense.

But, in the past 17 years, in today’s NFL … only twice has an inferior QB won a superbowl. And they needed some spectacular defense to do so.

So, is the QB everything? No.

But, don’t tell me a great QB is not important in TODAY'S NFL, because that’s crap.