Options

The Boots sound like sheet......

dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
.......the guitars are mixed so poorly.i thought this was a guitar driven band, went to hartford and last night and thought the mix was awesome, but tampa and west palm sound like shit!
jeter drinks wine coolers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Fo' shizzle? I heard great things about the quality from everyone else. My first purchase will be tomorrow and was getting exciting. Now, I don't know what to think!
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    dr teeth wrote:
    .......the guitars are mixed so poorly.i thought this was a guitar driven band, went to hartford and last night and thought the mix was awesome, but tampa and west palm sound like shit!

Man I own every bootleg this band has put out and I gotta agree with everything you say....they really dont sound that hot....And whats going on with the piano, its overwhelmingly loud in the mix.

That said I shall be buying all the ones to come!!! ha ha.

Hail Hail
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    joewalshdc wrote:
    Man I own every bootleg this band has put out and I gotta agree with everything you say....they really dont sound that hot....And whats going on with the piano, its overwhelmingly loud in the mix.

That said I shall be buying all the ones to come!!! ha ha.

Hail Hail

i agree......and i will still buy all of them!
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    I find this hard to believe
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    WPB is pretty good. Tampa sounds rough.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    agree agree agree -- Stone's really not too bad though, admittedly he's not as present as Jeff and Matt (and the mix of them, taken together, sounds pretty dang good). Ed's fine.

But here's a kicker -- check out Marker from Tampa. Mike kicks it off.
    Sounds like his amps are back in the dressing room being run to the stage by two tin cans and a length of string....

Sigh.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Are we allowed to send each other a track or two as a sample? If this is really the case, and the mixing sucks, then I'll probably only purchase 2 or 3 this tour, but I'd like to know how bad it is before purchasing.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    The other problem I've noticed is I have to turn the bass way down for them to sound right.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    over_bends wrote:
    Are we allowed to send each other a track or two as a sample? If this is really the case, and the mixing sucks, then I'll probably only purchase 2 or 3 this tour, but I'd like to know how bad it is before purchasing.

I intend to purchase the shows I was at regardless of the quality. but if someone wouldn't mind PMing me with a song from any of the shows, that'd be cool because I'm really curious to hear what you guys are talking about.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    OMG -- WHere the heck did that PIANO come from on DOWN in Tampa!?!?! Should it really be louder than the 2 guitars?!?!!?

OMG LMAO!!!

givin this my first listen right now :-D

(all this said, ok ok, they're sweet boots all-n-all, crystal clear, not much audience, very boomin bass, poppin' drums. Ed sounds wonderful. The guitars are a tad quiet, Mike esp so -- wonder how loud Ed will be when he picks up a guitar? But the more I listen to 'em right now, really pretty sweet. But yeah, I'd luv the guitars/mike to be MUCH louder.)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    The piano on Down is actually really good. Light Years piano...not so much.

Faithful from WPB....The backing vocals are louder than Ed

They're taking two weeks to mix these things when the ones we got from Base Camp the very next day sounded better. I don't get what they're doing besides trying to make everyone happy. Whats the point of having an option for everyone if they don't sound as good as they should. For sure not good enough yet to order a physical CD.
  • Options
    henchmanhenchman Posts: 172
    I'm happy to have bootlegs again on this tour, but the mix on the first two is not good. Probably the worst since the bootleg program started in 2000. The guitars are very low and at high volume the sound cracks a few times.

Just 3-4 songs sound ok, but still far from the basecamp mixes (done in 24h, instead of two weeks).

The delay of the Bonnaroo bootleg makes me think they are going to consider the bad reviews of the first 2 boots, and try to mix it better. I'm sure they will !
    1996: San Sebastian
    2000: San Sebastian
    2006: Barcelona, Vitoria, Lisbon I & II, Madrid, Verona, Milan
    2007: Lisbon, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf
    2009: Rotterdam, Manchester, London
    2010: Berlin, Lisbon
    2014: Amsterdam I & II, Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2018: Amsterdam I & II, Barcelona, Madrid
    2022: Frankfurt, London I & II, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,366
    henchman wrote:
    The delay of the Bonnaroo bootleg makes me think they are going to consider the bad reviews of the first 2 boots, and try to mix it better. I'm sure they will !

IF that turns out to be the case, it would be nice if they would re-mix the first couple of shows. It's not like it's difficult to remix them once you figure out the optimal settings.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    i thought they sounded shitty as well, 2 weeks for that??!!!!wtf!!!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    dr teeth wrote:

This is strange because I think they sound great. Maybe I've been listening to too many audience recordings or something but I think they sound better than the '06 boots.
  • Options
    I just download Columbia, and I'd have to agree that the quality isn't very good. Mike's guitar does sound very, very fuzzy, but I doubt that has much to do with the mixing. As others have said, Mike and Stone are kind of quiet, and the bass, piano, and backing vocals are MUCH louder than they should be. The crowd is so low that some of it almost sounds like a bad studio demo.

There's a few things going on that seem like the boots were shoddily put together...in quite a few places the volume of the guitars (or even the whole band) noticeable rises, like someone at that moment realized they were too quiet in the mix or something. Also, the first minute of Betterman is actually at the end of the W.M.A. track. I thought something was up when I saw that the track time for Betterman was 3:47. And I've only listened to four or five tracks so far.

Anyway, I already bought the Camden shows because I was at them, but I won't be buying any more of the boots, unless in a few days I see a thread that says "THE SOUND QUALITY OF THE BOOTS IS AWESOME NOW".

Edit - I have the flac
  • Options
    InJuddsTreeInJuddsTree Posts: 377
    West Palm isn't as bad as Tampa. On Tampa, you can hear Boom's quiet-ish background piano OVER THE TOP of Mike, who is playing lead guitar.

Lucky I didn't pay for mine.
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    they sound as good as the 07 europe boots.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    InJuddsTreeInJuddsTree Posts: 377

and off ramp 1990...
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160

witch one's there are no 2007 official boots ??
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    yielder wrote:
    witch one's there are no 2007 official boots ??

there are only audience recordings.

eg copenhagen.. where u can hear everything fine except for mike... just like tampa.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    VedderBlueVedderBlue Posts: 40
    Out of the years I have the 08 boots sound the worst to me.

Its to distorted. The only way to lessen this I have found is to dick with my EQ and kill some bass. I have no idea why they are mixed this way. Thankfully I have already setup a preset for them so not all is lost but 06 was much better in my opinion. That said I will still get them all :)

Hopefully they realize the mix just is not right. Matt is loud as hell (fine) but Mike is too low.

Just my .02
    45 Shows & Counting!!!
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    I hope they hear our complaints and do something.. think there's a chance? Shattered to hear Columbia's not up to scratch either.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    Yes, very sad to hear that Columbia is still sounding bad. I won't buy.

But I still have faith for the rest of the boots !!
  • Options
    Sound bad???

I think that maybe some of you guys just expect too much.

I have all that are available so far and I love them.

Maybe you need to get some new speakers and learn how to tweak your EQ. I don't know... I can hear Mike just fine.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Sound bad???

I think that maybe some of you guys just expect too much.

I have all that are available so far and I love them.

Maybe you need to get some new speakers and learn how to tweak your EQ. I don't know... I can hear Mike just fine.
    im running a 2000 dollar bose system......they suck. shit 2000 was better than this.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I just bought Columbia and i'm about to download. If i play through windows media player, can anyone recommend what to change my EQ settings to?
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Good news. After listening a few songs, Columbia sounds much better than the first two.

Still not perfect but the guitars are present :)

Thank you 10c
  • Options
    I'm listening to Columbia right now and I think it sounds fantastic! Sure, it sounds a little bit muddy in spots but it doesn't bother me. Some folks with deluxe systems may experience some issues with the bass. I'm not an audiophile - it sounds fine through my JBL computer speakers and subwoofer.

I should also mention that I was at this show and I'm just so thrilled to be re-living it that I'm not very focused on how the sound quality compares to other boots.
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    I havent heard any of the boots from this tour. But the 2000 and 05-06 sound great. Some are better than others but do you guys know how hard it is to record live? Its very hard so the fact you hear anything at all is blessing because someone knows what they are doing.