Options

The Boots sound like sheet......

Comments

• Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    I thought 2000 & 2006 were great sounding boots. 2003 was too lively, too muddy, too in your face.

Will wait for my 2008 boots (ordered physical copies)

Went for : Tampa (bad choice it seems now)
    Bonoroo
    Virginia
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I don't know... I can hear Mike just fine.

I only have Tampa, and just check for me, cordoroy, why go, severed hand -- songs 2-4, tell me you hear Mike? Tell me you can hear Mike's solo in Why Go esp. Marker he starts the song off and then disappears.

I gave it the car test this morning, and sitting in the driver's seat I should hear Mike overwhelming me on that side. Literally nuthin. So I skip ahead to Yellow Ledbetter -- ok, he was there, he was playing a guitar we can confirm from YL. And then as Stone comes in on acoustic, Boom in on organ, jeff/matt -- bye bye Mikey! ON YL!!!

I shouldn't HAVE to EQ this stuff -- I can't believe Mike would have signed off on this, wonder if the band actually does sign off on it? (Jeff, "Yep! That sounds awesome, what do you think, Matt?" Matt, "That's a wrap!")

Two theories: one, this is the dreaded iPod production mix phenom, engineer doing a mix-down then dumping to MP3 and listening on an iPod -- so extra bass and drums for those crappy lil' earbuds. Two, this was not a rock-n-roll producer/engineer, sounds like he/she's more used to Pop/Dance/Rap bass/drum thumpin'. (Third theory, the engineer's monitors are waaaay midrange crazy with no low end.)

But I'm more and more thinking they just didn't have a good source on Mike? At times (Black), sounds like Stone and/or Mike aren't direct from soundboards but rather some shotguns pointed at the PA!

Energy of the show is great, clarity overall of the recording is great, setlist and all that, wonderful show to listen to, but man, I'm crying over the Mike-lessness....

Can someone confirm if Tampa is the anomoly? Only one I got so far, might just get Roo and call it quits if all of 'em are this way. Well, and Ace!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    I got Id - from Columbia is in my ears a this moment. And I love it. I think the sound is just great. It sounds "full" - it really does it for me.
    Great show by the way, seems like the band is into it.
    Looking forward to roo ´n Hartford.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    So far I have WPB and Tampa. I have to agree that the boots from the U.S. 2000 tour is the best. Jeff is turned way up this tour and the piano during "Down" is overbearing. I'm not sure what company is handling the mixing since it was never discussed. I know for the 2000 shows it was Brett Elliason.

Also, anyone else annoyed with all the false starts, mix ups, during the shows? Some of the older shows were absolutely flawless. Here is to living in the past.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,943
    I think they should've had a fourth option for buying bootlegs which they would've made much more money off of due to the tiny amount of effort required on their part... individual parts available. Each song would have an mp3/FLAC for each instrument (and Eddie). It would take forever to download, but this way, everyone could have the ability to make exactly the mix they like. I would buy every show this tour if they did that. :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Also, the first minute of Betterman is actually at the end of the W.M.A. track. I thought something was up when I saw that the track time for Betterman was 3:47. And I've only listened to four or five tracks so far.

Ok, now this is inexcusable. Granted, most everyone will be listening to the shows in order, but how does this happen??? I mean seriously?

I can somewhat overlook the crappy mix to some degree, but mistakes like this really look amateurish.

What's next? "Drop the Leaves" or "Steal, Lie, and Trust" listed on the tracklist?
  • Options
    Ok, now this is inexcusable. Granted, most everyone will be listening to the shows in order, but how does this happen??? I mean seriously?

I can somewhat overlook the crappy mix to some degree, but mistakes like this really look amateurish.

What's next? "Drop the Leaves" or "Steal, Lie, and Trust" listed on the tracklist?

I agree. For me, the sound quality of the Columbia boot is not a problem but the W.M.A./Betterman thing is a bit annoying. I'm sure I can fix it in Garageband.

I wouldn't let this stop anyone from downloading it because the show is fantastic.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    LOL ... "Steal, Lie, and Trust?" ... That one was new to me. I do have Drop the Leaves, though.
    :)
  • Options
    what do you mean wma/betterman thing? does it repeat itself, like the i got shit/betterman from toronto 05? can you describe the issue?
    I agree. For me, the sound quality of the Columbia boot is not a problem but the W.M.A./Betterman thing is a bit annoying. I'm sure I can fix it in Garageband.

I wouldn't let this stop anyone from downloading it because the show is fantastic.
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Does the mix sound bad only on the mp3 downloads or do the FLACs sound bad as well? Just curious.
  • Options
    henchmanhenchman Posts: 172
    FLACs sound bad as well in Tampa and WPB.

But as I said before, Columbia sounds a lot better than the first two. Looks that they found how to make a good mix.
    1996: San Sebastian
    2000: San Sebastian
    2006: Barcelona, Vitoria, Lisbon I & II, Madrid, Verona, Milan
    2007: Lisbon, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf
    2009: Rotterdam, Manchester, London
    2010: Berlin, Lisbon
    2014: Amsterdam I & II, Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2018: Amsterdam I & II, Barcelona, Madrid
    2022: Frankfurt, London I & II, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Columbia is up already? Thought Va Bch.
  • Options
    That's too bad that the first two aren't very good. Hopefully they will fix them. I remember in 2000 the European boots seemed really quiet, but the North American ones sounded better. Does anyone know why they aren't using Basecamp anymore?
  • Options
    joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    joewalshdc wrote:
    Man I own every bootleg this band has put out and I gotta agree with everything you say....they really dont sound that hot....And whats going on with the piano, its overwhelmingly loud in the mix.

That said I shall be buying all the ones to come!!! ha ha.

Hail Hail

Hey I left this quote yesterday and i stand by it...BUT I GOTTA SAY, IM LISTENING TO THE COLUMBIA BOOTLEG AND IT FUCKING ROCKS!!! ABSOLUTELY ROCKING....MAYBE THEY SORTED THEIR SHIT OUT (THATS THE MIXING PEOPLE I MEAN)!!! WOOHOO!!
  • Options
    I thought Mike was pretty much inaudible on the '06 boots, so it's nothing new. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere from '06 where I complained about it.

The guitars sounded so clear and rockin' in 2000, and with each tour they get weaker and quieter sounding.
  • Options
    Alright, two people saying Columbia sounds better. Things are looking up!
  • Options
    shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    im running a 2000 dollar bose system......they suck. shit 2000 was better than this.
    Next time you are looking for speakers, go to a real audio/video store or talk to somebody who knows this stuff. Bose are mid-level speakers sold at a premium price. You could have gotten better sound with a Def Tech or Martin Logan setup in the same price range.
  • Options
    luke.harvey3luke.harvey3 Posts: 283
    ive got tampa wpb and columbia boots on my ipod and i think the sound is superb!
    cant wait to get them all!
    all the boots sound different, if you play a song you can tell instantly what tour it is from, i guess you just have to get use to this new sounding boot... maybe that sounds silly but i know what i mean lol
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Columbia has a much fuller sound than WPB and Tampa. There's still one or two moments when Stone or Mike aren't as clear as they should be, but overall it's a much better mix and i'll be happy if the rest of the shows sound like this.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Good news that they're improving. They should fix Tampa and WPB and let us download them again.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    the MSG show will sound good
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    boots on my ipod and i think the sound is superb!

I think that may confirm one of my theories....
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    henchmanhenchman Posts: 172
    I don't agree. Both Tampa and WPB sound very bad in my ipod. And it's not an EQ problem.

Columbia sounds great most of the time, I like it a lot. The problem is that EV is suffering with his voice all over the show. He sounds very tired and cracks a few times during the set.
    1996: San Sebastian
    2000: San Sebastian
    2006: Barcelona, Vitoria, Lisbon I & II, Madrid, Verona, Milan
    2007: Lisbon, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf
    2009: Rotterdam, Manchester, London
    2010: Berlin, Lisbon
    2014: Amsterdam I & II, Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2018: Amsterdam I & II, Barcelona, Madrid
    2022: Frankfurt, London I & II, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    The quality is way less than prior official boots for sure. I noticed this before I ever even saw a thread concerning the matter. I own them all and am buying them all but it seems to me that whoever is mixing is not doing a good job at it. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to buy these boots though but something must be said about it by all who are concerned. I notice better quality as the shows have released but I feel they should be aware of the consumer's views.
  • Options
    I just download Columbia, and I'd have to agree that the quality isn't very good. Mike's guitar does sound very, very fuzzy, but I doubt that has much to do with the mixing. As others have said, Mike and Stone are kind of quiet, and the bass, piano, and backing vocals are MUCH louder than they should be. The crowd is so low that some of it almost sounds like a bad studio demo.

There's a few things going on that seem like the boots were shoddily put together...in quite a few places the volume of the guitars (or even the whole band) noticeable rises, like someone at that moment realized they were too quiet in the mix or something. Also, the first minute of Betterman is actually at the end of the W.M.A. track. I thought something was up when I saw that the track time for Betterman was 3:47. And I've only listened to four or five tracks so far.

Anyway, I already bought the Camden shows because I was at them, but I won't be buying any more of the boots, unless in a few days I see a thread that says "THE SOUND QUALITY OF THE BOOTS IS AWESOME NOW".

Edit - I have the flac

Ok, I just listened to the entire show in my car. Last night when I was so disappointed with the sound quality I was listening on (pretty nice) headphones.

It sounded a lot better in the car...but I still thought there were a few problems. The piano still seems kind of loud, but its not overwhelming. The main thing, which is probably pretty obvious by now, is MIKE'S GUITAR. For the first 7-8 songs it sounds like he is having technical problems and/or has forgotten some of his parts?! In Red Mosquito especially - you can tell his guitar is there, but the majority of the fills I am so used to hearing just AREN'T PLAYED? Hail Hail and I Am Mine are also kind of painful to listen to IMHO, for the same reason. But it's PJ, so of course it still rocks. I'll be buying a few more.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The quality is way less than prior official boots for sure. I noticed this before I ever even saw a thread concerning the matter. I own them all and am buying them all but it seems to me that whoever is mixing is not doing a good job at it. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to buy these boots though but something must be said about it by all who are concerned. I notice better quality as the shows have released but I feel they should be aware of the consumer's views.

Well yeah, they aren't free. If they were giving them away, and I came back complaining that would be a dick move. 10-15 bucks a pop adds up 15 times or whatever.. I'm not going into the poor house over this, but my entertainment dollar only goes so far. I really wish BaseCamp was still doing this.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    But remember how we ripped the hell out of Basecamp? At least with them it wasn't about the sound quality, but the length it took them to put out shows.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    im running a 2000 dollar bose system......they suck. shit 2000 was better than this.

bose is horrible. You know what they say, "No highs?, no lows?, must be bose"
    Ba Ba Booey
  • Options
    SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    I just got the Columbia boot. It's much better than the Tampa and WPB. They finally got Mike turned up a bit more. Much much better in my opinion.
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    henchman wrote:
    I don't agree. Both Tampa and WPB sound very bad in my ipod. And it's not an EQ problem.

Columbia sounds great most of the time, I like it a lot. The problem is that EV is suffering with his voice all over the show. He sounds very tired and cracks a few times during the set.

I actually bet that it was the fact that his guitars were not sounding in tune to him for the first quarter of the show. He was probably having unsure thoughts about his own sound and maybe that was throwing him off?

On the other hand, he did mention being hung-over....
    Ba Ba Booey