Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,434
     Have I gotten the whole social media scheme twisted?  Are we not supposed to ask questions?  I asked 4 or 5 fairly simple questions and got 0 responses. Is this a comment only forum?  

To the non-vaccinated, non-mask people, all those non-believers of nurses crying and drs begging, etc, etc:

In your world, what exactly stoped the pandemic?  

Am I ever going to receive an answer?  Or shouldn’t I be asking? 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
     Have I gotten the whole social media scheme twisted?  Are we not supposed to ask questions?  I asked 4 or 5 fairly simple questions and got 0 responses. Is this a comment only forum?  

To the non-vaccinated, non-mask people, all those non-believers of nurses crying and drs begging, etc, etc:

In their mind there was NO pandemic. 
  • Options

Well of course.  How silly of me.  Thank you 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,153

there a couple trolls who drive by once in a while. as for the serious minded within the scope of who you directed those questions to , not sure we have seen many who can have a public discourse backing up their stance AND respecting others who feel/think/know differently than they do. most that I recall are of the "you people are sheep"(meaning those who tend to trust science) variety.

But questions are good. keep em coming when you see fit. suggests an open mind.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jwhjr17 said:
    I can't believe anyone is still even debating this from any side :lol:

If I could have the final word on this subject (and of course I won't-- it will go on for close to eternity, lol), it would be this:

I'm fairly certain my current autoimmune issue is related to the vaccines.  Because of that, I have lichen planus on my arms and sometimes on my chest, and I have oral lichen planus that has taken a lot of the joy out of eating.  That all sucks. 

I'm also fairly certain that a lot of people died of COVID before the vaccines came along, and that sucks even more.

I know for certain that I'm still alive, and that as much as it is uncomfortable much of the time, I can still eat enough to stay nourished.  That is awesome.

I also know for certain that a lot of people are alive today because of the vaccines.  That is even more awesome!

And lastly, we all know that the likelihood of having an adverse reaction the the vaccine is small and the chances of it saving your life is big. 

So really, let's just stop this silly nonsense argument and realize nothing is perfect, and that a vaccine, any vaccine, will affect a small percentage of people negatively (frankly, tough shit, that's life*), and a lot of people get to live because we have vaccines.
    Hallelujah!

*P.S. regarding the "(frankly, tough shit, that's life*) statement, I mean that only about myself or might say that about the trouble humans in general have caused.  I would never direct a statement like that specifically to another person suffering an illness or disorder.

I’m truly, truly sorry this happened to you.  Why all the good ones….why not the non-believers….

BUT you need to know that your BRAVERY, risking it all in spite of pure proof or years of research, has contributed to the vaccine becoming safer and more effective.  Especially since you report your symptoms, etc. and see your doctor.  

Why you?  Who fucking knows when there’s soooo many (insert choice word) in this bat crazy world.  Maybe God knows you'll do the right thing and knew he/she/it could rely on you.  

Putting you on my prayer list to feel better soon.  

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, and prayer, C!
    I have to admit, it's easy sometimes to ask, Why  me?  But like you say, who fucking knows?  After a lot of years, I'm finally coming around to the notion that it's better to accept what can't be changed, and then ask, OK, where to from here?  How do I best deal with this?  What am I supposed to learn from this? 

As for being a believer, I'm not exactly a Bible thumping believer (although I have read it from cover to cover and highly recommend it!), but I do have a sense that there is a higher power of some sort.  Mother Nature to start with, and beyond that, probably something I can't even imagine.
    And I do have a great deal of respect for all the great spiritual leader and figures, but if you told me I could meet one, and only one, I'd have to go with Jesus because he had enough goodness to forgive the unforgiven and enough love to love the unlovable, and enough balls to knock down the tables of the money changers and put them in their place.  My kind of spiritual figure!
    You know I USED to think I was a fairly eloquent wordsmith but my ability to convey my feelings/meaning really sucks!  

I was trying to be careful with my words after being banned for believing in karma.  I was trying to convey that you believe in climate change, science, vaccines, etc. and that the adverse conditions should be saved for those who rejected every portion of the pandemic.  
    Sorry for the confusion.  

As for religion, I practice my faith (he/she/it…God?) with no religion attached so I hope you know I wasn’t trying to force an explanation of your beliefs, change them, etc.  I know you probably knew that - I’m just making sure everyone else knows.

If I get reported and banned again I’m still gonna be praying for your recovery Mr. B. 

I think your communication is fine!  It's easy to misread something on the internet.  I say things all the time I think are clear and straight forward, but then later see how those words can be misconstrued. 

And I see no reason for you to be banned here!  
    Please, mods, we love cblock4life, no bans, por favor!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635

Welcome to the club..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 296

Masks, distancing, vaccination, and the virus evolving to be less deadly led us through Covid. I support all of that. I was just pointing out we received a lot of misinformation along the way. And much of that (such as the 6 feet rule) I'm sure was said with good intentions. However this just causes more people to not trust anything the government says.  There will be WAY more pushback if we encounter a situation like covid again.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,333
    The virus evolving like a virus can to become more transmissible and less potent is quite normal and that's what happened,so becoming not a threat.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,738
    The virus evolving like a virus can to become more transmissible and less potent is quite normal and that's what happened,so becoming not a threat.
    It is similar to the path of the Influenza pandemic.  But what we saw,, like then, was year 2 was worse in mortality. It evolved again to something less deadly and will likely be with us throughout our lives. 
  • Options
    True it can go both ways
     We got lucky and it went the right way
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,947
    edited May 16
    seanwon said:

Masks, distancing, vaccination, and the virus evolving to be less deadly led us through Covid. I support all of that. I was just pointing out we received a lot of misinformation along the way. And much of that (such as the 6 feet rule) I'm sure was said with good intentions. However this just causes more people to not trust anything the government says.  There will be WAY more pushback if we encounter a situation like covid again.
    people need to realize that the medical community was learning how to deal with it in real time. that's incredibly difficult. to expect them to be right 100% of the time is absurd. they didn't lie (don't confuse the medical community with pharma and the government). they made best guesses. best guesses that they thought would be the least harmful to society while not allowing the virus to run rampant. A lot of it seems absurd in hindsight, but looking back, these were fallible humans with the world on their shoulders with unrealistic expectations put on them by all of humanity. so yeah, they were scrambling, and using even the tiniest bits of data they could analyze and make the best decisions based on that at the time. 

hilarious now that armchair pandemic experts think "we were right from the beginning". no they weren't. they were all broken clocks just being fucking babies during a global crisis when the rest of the adults were trying to actually deal with the severity of it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    seanwon said:

people need to realize that the medical community was learning how to deal with it in real time. that's incredibly difficult. to expect them to be right 100% of the time is absurd. they didn't lie (don't confuse the medical community with pharma and the government). they made best guesses. best guesses that they thought would be the least harmful to society while not allowing the virus to run rampant. A lot of it seems absurd in hindsight, but looking back, these were fallible humans with the world on their shoulders with unrealistic expectations put on them by all of humanity. so yeah, they were scrambling, and using even the tiniest bits of data they could analyze and make the best decisions based on that at the time. 

hilarious now that armchair pandemic experts think "we were right from the beginning". no they weren't. they were all broken clocks just being fucking babies during a global crisis when the rest of the adults were trying to actually deal with the severity of it. 
    I agree . In real time it was all terrifying and I actually think the social distancing and mask were the most sensible thing we could have done. It makes absolute sense with an airborne virus. No doubt
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    as a result, I'm now working from home full time. THANKS COVID
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,931
    as a result, I'm now working from home full time. THANKS COVID
    Same, great benefit that came out of it!
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | 2024-05-16 Las Vegas | 2024-05-18 Las Vegas |
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,718
    I disliked working from home, and now I can tell who’s working from home when I get on zoom meetings and there’s several people you can tell are desperate for human contact (kind of a joke but not really). “How bout we wrap this up?” 
  • Options
    seanwon said:

You're exactly right on all points.
    When new viruses show up the real experts don't know what they don't  know. So new and or various treatments are attempted. Look at the AIDS crisis for example. They threw everything they could at it until something worked.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635
    seanwon said:

I agree . In real time it was all terrifying and I actually think the social distancing and mask were the most sensible thing we could have done. It makes absolute sense with an airborne virus. No doubt
    very sense R, to wash your hands for an airborne virus as you said..no doubt at all..also you can have it at 1.95m but not at 2.05 m..
    and again, WHATEVER they say, we were right.. ;)

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    interesting little tidbit. mask usage saw a significant drop in other airborne viruses like the flu and such.... we also saw more folks mindful of sneezing or coughing into the crook of their arms.....  sneeze into a bare hand with the flu and then shake someones hand. see how quick they get it.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I'm all for distance..mask and washing hand s . Distance and hand washing as a standard for me regardless 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    People are fucking grim in general anything to teach basic hygiene to cave men
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

very sense R, to wash your hands for an airborne virus as you said..no doubt at all..also you can have it at 1.95m but not at 2.05 m..

This is the definition of insanity.   So fucking exhausting.  Just let us know where you’ll be standing/sitting and at which concerts so we can stay clear of the known unvaccinated.  

• Options
    He and I had the vaccines
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

can't wait to see where you're research is published. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,580
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

The sourcing for that is gonna be 🔥🔥🔥
  • Options

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hmmm......

Repeat COVID-19 vaccinations elicit antibodies that neutralize variants, other viruses

Response to updated vaccine is shaped by earlier vaccines yet generates broadly neutralizing antibodies

by Tamara Schneider•May 17, 2024

Matt Miller

Health-care workers received the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in December 2020. A study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has found that repeat vaccination with updated versions of the COVID-19 vaccine promotes the development of antibodies that neutralize a wide range of variants of the virus that causes COVID-19, as well as related coronaviruses.

The COVID-19 pandemic is over, but the virus that caused it is still here, sending thousands of people to the hospital each week and spinning off new variants with depressing regularity. The virus’s exceptional ability to change and evade immune defenses has led the World Health Organization (WHO) to recommend annual updates to COVID-19 vaccines.

But some scientists worry that the remarkable success of the first COVID-19 vaccines may work against updated versions, undermining the utility of an annual vaccination program. A similar problem plagues the annual flu vaccine campaign; immunity elicited by one year’s flu shots can interfere with immune responses in subsequent years, reducing the vaccines’ effectiveness.

A new study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis helps to address this question. Unlike immunity to influenza virus, prior immunity to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, doesn’t inhibit later vaccine responses. Rather, it promotes the development of broadly inhibitory antibodies, the researchers report.

The study, available online in Nature, shows that people who were repeatedly vaccinated for COVID-19 — initially receiving shots aimed at the original variant, followed by boosters and updated vaccines targeting variants — generated antibodies capable of neutralizing a wide range of SARS-CoV-2 variants and even some distantly related coronaviruses. The findings suggest that periodic re-vaccination for COVID-19, far from hindering the body’s ability to recognize and respond to new variants, may instead cause people to gradually build up a stock of broadly neutralizing antibodies that protect them from emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants and some other coronavirus species as well, even ones that have not yet emerged to infect humans.

“The first vaccine an individual receives induces a strong primary immune response that shapes responses to subsequent infection and vaccination, an effect known as imprinting,” said senior author Michael S. Diamond, MD, PhD, the Herbert S. Gasser Professor of Medicine. “In principle, imprinting can be positive, negative or neutral. In this case, we see strong imprinting that is positive, because it’s coupled to the development of cross-reactive neutralizing antibodies with remarkable breadth of activity.”

continues.....

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,823
    mickeyrat said:
    hmmm......

Repeat COVID-19 vaccinations elicit antibodies that neutralize variants, other viruses

Response to updated vaccine is shaped by earlier vaccines yet generates broadly neutralizing antibodies

by Tamara Schneider•May 17, 2024

Matt Miller

Health-care workers received the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in December 2020. A study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has found that repeat vaccination with updated versions of the COVID-19 vaccine promotes the development of antibodies that neutralize a wide range of variants of the virus that causes COVID-19, as well as related coronaviruses.

The COVID-19 pandemic is over, but the virus that caused it is still here, sending thousands of people to the hospital each week and spinning off new variants with depressing regularity. The virus’s exceptional ability to change and evade immune defenses has led the World Health Organization (WHO) to recommend annual updates to COVID-19 vaccines.

But some scientists worry that the remarkable success of the first COVID-19 vaccines may work against updated versions, undermining the utility of an annual vaccination program. A similar problem plagues the annual flu vaccine campaign; immunity elicited by one year’s flu shots can interfere with immune responses in subsequent years, reducing the vaccines’ effectiveness.

A new study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis helps to address this question. Unlike immunity to influenza virus, prior immunity to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, doesn’t inhibit later vaccine responses. Rather, it promotes the development of broadly inhibitory antibodies, the researchers report.

The study, available online in Nature, shows that people who were repeatedly vaccinated for COVID-19 — initially receiving shots aimed at the original variant, followed by boosters and updated vaccines targeting variants — generated antibodies capable of neutralizing a wide range of SARS-CoV-2 variants and even some distantly related coronaviruses. The findings suggest that periodic re-vaccination for COVID-19, far from hindering the body’s ability to recognize and respond to new variants, may instead cause people to gradually build up a stock of broadly neutralizing antibodies that protect them from emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants and some other coronavirus species as well, even ones that have not yet emerged to infect humans.

“The first vaccine an individual receives induces a strong primary immune response that shapes responses to subsequent infection and vaccination, an effect known as imprinting,” said senior author Michael S. Diamond, MD, PhD, the Herbert S. Gasser Professor of Medicine. “In principle, imprinting can be positive, negative or neutral. In this case, we see strong imprinting that is positive, because it’s coupled to the development of cross-reactive neutralizing antibodies with remarkable breadth of activity.”

continues.....

Big pharma scamdemic.

Do the unvaccinated wear t-shirts or carry signs saying “Proud to be unvaccinated”? They should. Conversely, do the vaccinated? Maybe they could wear little hypodermic needles around their neck like some people wear crosses? How does Itsy work?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,738
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

It was a guide, for Christ's sake.  You have to pick a number.  
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

The sourcing for that is gonna be 🔥🔥🔥

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,837
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    seanwon said:

It was a guide, for Christ's sake.  You have to pick a number.  
    Without ever consciously thinking about it, I recognized it as a general guide and not a magic number...probably because without thinking about it, I was aware that this isn't the same as "trucks over 11 ft. tall cannot fit under this bridge."

In hindsight, I guess I should not be surprised that "you can't precisely determine the right distance" led to "I'm going to stand two inches from the person in front of me in the checkout line even though it won't move me through faster."

Oh well, I'm just glad we didn't get an anti-handwashing movement. (I really thought it might happen.)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin