Options

The Top Three 2008 Shows so far...

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    The best show so far seem to be MSG1, Columbia and Bonaroo... I thought maybe Camden 1 was one of the better shows also but I could be biased cause I was there myself....

I was at DC and can't see that not being the best show of the tour so far. The crowd was amazing and that set was absolutely incredible. So I can say that atleast DC was one of the better shows so far this year.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    MattyJoe wrote:
    DON'T buy Bonnaroo. The setlist may look good but actually it wasn't the greatest show. I listened to the audience recording. They were slightly 'off' that night. I know people are gonna disagree because they've convinced themselves that it was the greatest show of the tour, but from what I heard it's not worth getting if you're looking for just a top 3.

they were a little off a couple songs but it was still an amazing show
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    Let me say, I was at Bonnaroo and DC and they were both awesome shows. The Roo crowd WAS awesome, especially for a non-specific PJ crowd. I wasn't at Camden or MSG but they sound great as well. In fact, it sounds like the band is rocking it everywhere. Comparing shows will always be subjective.

I'm getting the Columbia and Camden 1 CD's as the setlists look great, and I'm also getting the Roo and DC shows since I was there...and the setlists were great :-).
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Bonaroo> MSG1

MSG might have had great energy- but it was a recycled setlist. Bonaroo setlist was out of nowhere and I can't imagine a crowd of over 100k people was much worse than MSG last night. MSG had more hype, but it is nowhere hear Bonaroo at this point. They brought out a replacement of a replacement Ramone as the highlight..
    my tops

1. Bonaroo
    2. Camden 1/MSG1 (basically the same setlists)
    3. Columbia, SC

I agree almost 100%. Here's my top 3:

1. Roo
    2. Columbia
    3. Camden I/ MSG I
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Zoso wrote:
    The best show so far seem to be MSG1, Columbia and Bonaroo... I thought maybe Camden 1 was one of the better shows also but I could be biased cause I was there myself....

I was at DC and can't see that not being the best show of the tour so far. The crowd was amazing and that set was absolutely incredible. So I can say that atleast DC was one of the better shows so far this year.
    the DC setlist was good, but from most of the reviews that I've read, the crowd sucked
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    DC crowd was very good...I was a bit worried that it would not be so good on a Sunday, but the VC was rocking. The boys stayed out after the lights came up after curfew and played 2 more songs, so they thought the crowd was into it.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    the DC setlist was good, but from most of the reviews that I've read, the crowd sucked

Well all i know is, if they had just one audience mic turned halfway up you'll still be blown away when you hear the boot.

The crowd at that show was insane the entire show and by far the loudest of the 18 times I've seen them.

So I guess I'm saying as a whole the crowd didn't suck even though there will always be idiots that get stuck behind or in front of people that don't meet their expectations of how a fan is supposed to act and then say the crowd sucked.
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    The truth is these guys have no idea how to play an even remotely bad show. I think every one is great, and listening to bootlegs generally bears that out. They don't improvise so much within the framework of any given song - or most, anyway - that versions of songs vary all that much from night to night unless a new song is re-introduced, in which case it tends to get tighter and more polished as the tour progresses. So ordering bootlegs based on setlists is never a bad move.

What differs is the venue and how the crowd interacts with the band. The first night at MSG always tends to have ridiculous energy because the band goes long spells between playing there and by the time that first night of MSG rolls around, everyone is completely jacked, both band and fans. As ast night ended I couldn't imagine anything being better, and felt certain tonight there would be a let-up. I guarantee you that sentiment is wrong.
  • Options
    I've only been to two shows so far but Camden 2 and MSG 1 are definately worth it. Just about to leave to catch the train for MSG 2.
    Hail Hail The Lucky Ones!!!

Saratoga 92, Hartford 96, Hartford 98, Jones Beach 3 00, Mansfield 1 03, Mansfield 2 03, Camden 1 03, MSG 1 03, MSG 2 03, Mansfield 3 03, Holmdel 03, Boston 1 04, Albany 06, Hartford 06, East Rutherford 1 06, Camden 2 08, MSG 1 08, MSG 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield 1 08, Mansfield 2 08, Spectrum 4 09, Hartford 10, MSG 1 10, MSG 2 10, EV Hartford 11, Philly 12, Brooklyn 1 13, Brooklyn 2 13, Hartford 13, MSG 1 16, MSG 2 16, Fenway 1 16, Temple Of The Dog MSG 16
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    thunderDAN wrote:
    you mean like they didn't play WMA for the first time in 13 years? Longer than they waited in between the last time they played Leash and Boston2-2006?

Again, it might not seem fresh now 3 weeks later because MSG and Camden got all of Bonaroo's leftovers.- but Bonaroo had the first EVER performance of All Night, and WMA for the first time in 13 years---how that is not special is beyond me

Once again thunder, you are right on!

It must have been really cool to be at Bonaroo and be a hardcore fan. I don't think I would have gone to Bonaroo if it was in my neck of the woods because I would just think they were going to play greatest hits, a la Lollapalooza. To be there and hear the songs they played must have been awesome!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    thunderDAN wrote:
    you mean like they didn't play WMA for the first time in 13 years? Longer than they waited in between the last time they played Leash and Boston2-2006?

Again, it might not seem fresh now 3 weeks later because MSG and Camden got all of Bonaroo's leftovers.- but Bonaroo had the first EVER performance of All Night, and WMA for the first time in 13 years---how that is not special is beyond me

Meh, WMA is played in part all the time tagged on to Daughter or in meddley's where it blends with other songs. Is it really the first time the full version was played in 13 years? I guess that is a little something, but given all the tags not that impressive. All Night is just not a good song, I wouldn't brag about that heh. Just my opinion I guess.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Well all i know is, if they had just one audience mic turned halfway up you'll still be blown away when you hear the boot.

The crowd at that show was insane the entire show and by far the loudest of the 18 times I've seen them.

So I guess I'm saying as a whole the crowd didn't suck even though there will always be idiots that get stuck behind or in front of people that don't meet their expectations of how a fan is supposed to act and then say the crowd sucked.

I agree spoonful. The crowd was rocking in DC and everywhere I looked I saw nothing but energized people (top levels, in back of the stage, sides) - and that's not counting the 10C fans seated on the floor who were going apeshit.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    weenie wrote:
    I agree spoonful. The crowd was rocking in DC and everywhere I looked I saw nothing but energized people (top levels, in back of the stage, sides) - and that's not counting the 10C fans seated on the floor who were going apeshit.

My sis went with a friend of hers who has been to a lot of shows. He said it was in the top five of the shows he's been to. It was her first show and she was blown away.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    Amazing shows don't always translate to the boots and I am sure the vice versa is true as well. For instance.. my fav boots from 2003 tour are Charlotte and Noblesville (not counting disc 1 of Boston 3 which is so unique it can't be compared to the rest of the tour)... I am guessing Charlotte and Noblesville are not on too many "top shows of the tour" lists.. but they translated to amazing boots. Atlanta 03 is probably the best 'sounding' boot (quality of recording and mixing)... so who knows, West Palm Beach or Hartford may end up being the best boots of the tour.. you never know.
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    Between Columbia and VA Beach, they played every one of these songs except the cover....Obviously these are the boots Im buying....LOLOLOLOL...Seriously tho, I was at Columbia and it was unreal...the boys had a really loose, funky vibe and were definitely just having fun...AND hitting the licks and stuff! Sure, there were some fuck ups, but it just added to the overall vibe of the show...This will be THE boot to have IMO if the recording/mix is half decent...The VA Beach show actually 'sounded' better to me quality/PA wise (maybe because it was outside??), but the Columbia show was fucking SICK...
    I have not been to a show this tour.
    My choice would have to be based on set list.
    I would be happy with Bonnaroo and MSG.

I've seen 22 shows but have hot heard live....WMA, Who You Are, No More
    Love Reign O'er Me or All night.

I would want those (5) songs in the set list.

Those (2) shows have those (5) songs.

The bonus of Hard To Imagine as the opener and Watchtower as an encore
    on both seals the deal.
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    I haven't heard too much from this tour other than Bonnaroo, and I will try my hardest not to be biased. I dont base my opinion too much off the setlist, but the setlist at Bonnaroo was so sick. Even with the other sets this tour, nothing has yet compared. That being said, there may end up being more tighter shows performance wise than Bonnaroo because Roo was like the third show of this awesome tour and the songs were out of nowhere. They didnt play this diverse setlist in WPB or Tampa. So, it was totally fresh for the band, and it shows in the raw energy. To those saying the band wasn't "on" I disagree 100%. The band was full of energy and Ed was so spirited. He was amazed by the crowd and they crowd didn't suck as bad as some here would comment on. Truth being that so many forget to realize, is that the whole 80,000+ people there weren't there for PJ only and many didn't know the songs as well. Its not fair to compare that to a PJ show were everyone is there for PJ only. Thats not very accurate way to say the crowd sucked. The crowd was pretty damn loud.

The show was pretty damn tight too. The setlist was as good as the 03 type sets and with the tightness of the 06 tour. They were very much into it. And the boot will be great Im sure. Too many people get biased based on the show they went to. I loved Roo, but I think Columbia will be amazing on boots too. The Roo is highly recommend by most on here. It was a fantastic show. Sound wise, performance wise, and the energy was awesome. Many great versions of songs. One of the best renditions of Black Ive ever heard. Who You Are and WMA were tighter than a Nun. They were awesome. The band was tight, without becoming stale like the MSG 2003 dvd. Those who are dissing the show are totally out there for me. I think that there are many great shows this year, its a fantastic tour from what I'm gathering. But the MSG 1 setlist didn't live up to the hype it was gathering though. Performance wise, maybe. Ive not heard too much yet. But the Roo is highly recommend by me if you want a great show full of energy, pretty damn tight musically, a diverse setlist that was SICK, and Ed sounding the best he has in a while.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    huck5huck5 Posts: 91
    I am going with
    1. Columbia, SC
    2. Bonnarro
    3. MSG1

If the boot for Columbia, SC was half as good as the show, you will be pleased. I'm intrigued by both Bonn/MSG1.

The only thing that Columbia is "missing" if I had to nick pic would be lack of Avocado. Would loved to have heard LW, WWS, or BW. Closing with Indifference was awesome, and they absolutely killed Porch. I thought Porch was the best sound of the night, and that night included many of my favorite PJ songs.

Just my $0.02. Many good shows to choose from though.
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    the thing about bonnaroo is, everyone isn't necessarily there just to see pearl jam...they may just be stopping by to check them out or waiting for kanye (eww). that being said, the crowd was still pretty into it, and the band was fucking on! i mean ed was getting teary eyed during release. IMO it was a fucking fantastic show
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    SammyK14 wrote:
    the thing about bonnaroo is, everyone isn't necessarily there just to see pearl jam...they may just be stopping by to check them out or waiting for kanye (eww). that being said, the crowd was still pretty into it, and the band was fucking on! i mean ed was getting teary eyed during release. IMO it was a fucking fantastic show
    that is what is awesome about the whole thing, they just said fuck it and played a rare stuff anyways
  • Options
    huck5 wrote:
    I am going with
    1. Columbia, SC
    2. Bonnarro
    3. MSG1

If the boot for Columbia, SC was half as good as the show, you will be pleased. I'm intrigued by both Bonn/MSG1.

The only thing that Columbia is "missing" if I had to nick pic would be lack of Avocado. Would loved to have heard LW, WWS, or BW. Closing with Indifference was awesome, and they absolutely killed Porch. I thought Porch was the best sound of the night, and that night included many of my favorite PJ songs.

Just my $0.02. Many good shows to choose from though.

Agreed about Columbia. Besides the fact that it rocked so fucking hard, from a completely objective standpoint, its the only boot thus far that's gonna have Can't Keep, Red Mosquito, Off He Goes, Army Reserve, and Education. Those 5 unique songs alone are worth price of admission.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    are you guys even reading the shit you're writing?? You are now deciding, based on nothing concrete, who has seen and where the best show was!!?? Original poster, do yourself a favor, pick a couple out of a hat and buy them... There are clearly ups and downs in all the shows, but they are not going to let you down either way.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    PinstrpsPinstrps Posts: 109
    When it comes to hearing a crowd from a show on cd I don't think you can say one crowd was better than another just because one sounds louder. If you take Bonnaroo, that show was outdoors....of course the crowd will sound a bit softer...they are outside with no walls or ceiling to bounce the noise off of. Indoor crowds will always sound louder. That does not mean that show or the crowd was better....it just means the noise had nowhere to go.
    If you ask me every crowd at a PJ show is crazy and very much into the show.
    As for the top three shows....Well I think the Roo set list was awesome and I loved the Columbia show as well. I think one or maybe both Mansfield shows will be off the charts because for some reason PJ loves Mass and they seem to always do something special there. The MSG setlists to me were ok but they did not match the hype given to them from the fans before the shows. I would get MSG 2 if I had to buy one though. I really am looking forward to seeing what they play in Mass.
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    best setlist...prob DC

best energy...slight edge to MSG II with MSG I right behind it...energy was great at DC as well which was kinda shocking since DC 06 was lacking it a bit.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    IMO:
    1/ Roo
    2/ Colombia
    3/ MSG 2
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    Agreed about Columbia. Besides the fact that it rocked so fucking hard, from a completely objective standpoint, its the only boot thus far that's gonna have Can't Keep, Red Mosquito, Off He Goes, Army Reserve, and Education. Those 5 unique songs alone are worth price of admission.

Fuckin A!!!
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    waterairwaterair Philly Posts: 53
    shows i've seen this tour top 3 camden1 then msg followed by camden2.

I concur.
    Let's go to Europe ;-)

#409xxx
    (how I let my membership lapse is beyond me.)
  • Options
    Msg1
    Msg2
    Dc
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    zazzi82zazzi82 Posts: 22
    MattyJoe wrote:
    That crowd was DEAD at Bonnaroo. Listen to the audience recording. Both Camden and MSG totally blew away the Bonnaroo crowd. And the band didn't perform as well at Bonnaroo as last night. If you were to listen to the recording I bet that there's no way you would disagree with me.
    Listen I was at Bonnaroo and the crowd was not dead. It sounds like you have a shitty recording of the show and there is something to say when you see non pearl jam fans go fucking crazy
    Nashville 2000
    Nashville 2003
    Cincy 2006
    The ROO 2008
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Msg1
    Roo
    Camden 1
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Haha I love this thread :)

I can only give my opinion on the shows I was at:

1) Columbia
    2) Tampa
    3) Va Beach
    4) WPB

I am ordering Bonnaroo also because of the setlist.

I would recommend Columbia to you. Great show, great setlist, great crowd.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08