Options

The Top Three 2008 Shows so far...

Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
What are the top three 2008 shows so far in your opinion? I am looking to get at least three shows on CD and maybe the rest via FLAC download but was wondering which CDs to get.

Thanks for your help,
Dan
06/05/2003 - San Diego
06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
06/07/2003 - Phoenix
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    1. MSG1
    2. Columbia
    3. Camden 2
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Maybe by energy is MSG number 1 but absolutely not if you go by setlists.
  • Options

I don't go by setlist. I go by how good the show was in general. Setlist is only a fraction of that.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189

I agree..Columbia and Camden look sick though
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    1. MSG1
    2. Columbia
    3. Camden 2

biased any? Bonaroo and DC had the best set lists IMO. MSG was not the historic event people were expecting, don't buy into the hype
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I don't go by setlist. I go by how good the show was in general. Setlist is only a fraction of that.

The thread was intended for the guy to get the best shows on CD though, i dont think the "energy" of MSG can be transformed on CD. Id go with another choice other than MSG if I was the thread starter.

I know im probably in the minority but i just dont think Live at the Garden is that great of a dvd/show. Maybe it was awesome to be there but i dont see what the hype is in terms of the actual show.
  • Options
    DON'T buy Bonnaroo. The setlist may look good but actually it wasn't the greatest show. I listened to the audience recording. They were slightly 'off' that night. I know people are gonna disagree because they've convinced themselves that it was the greatest show of the tour, but from what I heard it's not worth getting if you're looking for just a top 3.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:

But that is all subjective to the listener. If you ask me MSG was overrated and other shows have been better this tour (my opinion).
  • Options
    wilmack88 wrote:
    biased any? Bonaroo and DC had the best set lists IMO. MSG was not the historic event people were expecting, don't buy into the hype

Were you there? And what's a historic event in your book...twelve never before played songs? The setlist was average sure, but it was damn strong, the crowd...best ever, by far. Don't hype things up in your own mind or try to downplay someone else's good time.
    Where do i go to soothe my head? Guess i'll turn on music instead.
  • Options
    But that is all subjective to the listener. If you ask me MSG was overrated and other shows have been better this tour (my opinion).

Nope, sorry. Their playing was FLAWLESS last night. Even at Camden 2 there were a few fuckups. Last night was perfect.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    i have only heard the 2 Camden's being there. But from how the reviews all sound, it seems that the band is at the top of their game for each show, the crowds have all been great and for boots you best just look for your favorite set lists.
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Nope, sorry. Their playing was FLAWLESS last night. Even at Camden 2 there were a few fuckups. Last night was perfect.

Again thats YOUR opinion, & I disagree, Big Deal.
  • Options
    Sounds like someone's a little jealous.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Again thats YOUR opinion, & I disagree, Big Deal.

Were you there?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Sounds like someone's a little jealous.

If you mean me, why would i be jealous i was there last night and will be there tonight. I however was not at D.C. or Camden 1 so you could say i am jealous of those sets.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    wilmack88 wrote:

Bonaroo> MSG1

MSG might have had great energy- but it was a recycled setlist. Bonaroo setlist was out of nowhere and I can't imagine a crowd of over 100k people was much worse than MSG last night. MSG had more hype, but it is nowhere hear Bonaroo at this point. They brought out a replacement of a replacement Ramone as the highlight..
    my tops

1. Bonaroo
    2. Camden 1/MSG1 (basically the same setlists)
    3. Columbia, SC
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    shows i've seen this tour top 3 camden1 then msg followed by camden2.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Bonaroo> MSG1

MSG might have had great energy- but it was a recycled setlist. Bonaroo setlist was out of nowhere and I can't imagine a crowd of over 100k people was much worse than MSG last night. MSG had more hype, but it is nowhere hear Bonaroo at this point. They brought out a replacement of a replacement Ramone as the highlight..

That crowd was DEAD at Bonnaroo. Listen to the audience recording. Both Camden and MSG totally blew away the Bonnaroo crowd. And the band didn't perform as well at Bonnaroo as last night. If you were to listen to the recording I bet that there's no way you would disagree with me.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I'm waiting for the tour to end before I buy any. I'll probably get 2-3 shows, but it would be silly now to order them if better shows come out afterwards.
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Bonaroo> MSG1

MSG might have had great energy- but it was a recycled setlist. Bonaroo setlist was out of nowhere

This is true, and for comparing overall shows that's fine. But for a bootleg, it doesn't matter if its the first time they played WMA or the 4th time this tour. For someone who is buying the boot that wasn't at the show and just wants to listen to some live 08 PJ, it just matters that it has WMA on it.

My $.02
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    That crowd was DEAD at Bonnaroo. Listen to the audience recording. Both Camden and MSG totally blew away the Bonnaroo crowd. And the band didn't perform as well at Bonnaroo as last night. If you were to listen to the recording I bet that there's no way you would disagree with me.

I don't buy bootlegs depending on how good a crowd is. The take 2 weeks mixing these things to take crowd noise OUT of the recording- yes the noise is there, but nothing jaw dropping while your listening to it while driving to work. I buy bootlegs based on setlists and last nights setlist was recycled but it was really long so maybe your getting more for you money-glass is half full or half empty.
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I don't buy bootlegs depending on how good a crowd is. The take 2 weeks mixing these things to take crowd noise OUT of the recording- yes it is there, but nothing jar dropping while your listening to it while driving to work. I buy bootlegs based on setlists and last nights setlist was recycled but it was really long so maybe your getting more for you money-glass is half full or half empty.

Once again, the PERFORMANCE at Bonnaroo wasn't as good. It doesn't matter what the setlist is, sometimes the band just isn't quite on. It's one thing to be at a show. It's a totally different thing to listen to a recording. When you're there, you get swept up by the energy and excitement of the whole thing that you don't notice stuff like that. But on a recording it's brutally obvious. I don't think Bonnaroo is worth someone's money if they're only looking for two or three of the best shows, despite the "awesome" setlist.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    One VIC to rule them all, One VIC to find them, One VIC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Ha, ha!
  • Options
    tenforthewintenforthewin Posts: 177
    The crowd was most definately not "dead" at Roo, I'll say that.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Dan1984 wrote:
    What are the top three 2008 shows so far in your opinion? I am looking to get at least three shows on CD and maybe the rest via FLAC download but was wondering which CDs to get.

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

Having not been to any (or going to) any of these shows, the only 2 I am interested in so far are Bonaroo and DC.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I don't buy bootlegs depending on how good a crowd is. The take 2 weeks mixing these things to take crowd noise OUT of the recording- yes it is there, but nothing jar dropping while your listening to it while driving to work. I buy bootlegs based on setlists and last nights setlist was recycled but it was really long so maybe your getting more for you money-glass is half full or half empty.

I agree with you. I buy boots based on setlists (excluding the shows I go to, I always buy those).

Your point about MSG being really long is a good and makes me consider buying it. But, as of now, I would still just go Bonaroo and DC.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    I don't know. There are 2 ways to look at bustout setlists. One is that the show at which the stuff is busted out is legendary. The other is Bonnarroo: The Official Warmup for MSG1.
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    Being at MSG last night, going by setlist alone that is not a necessary boot to have IMO. Great energy, which will bump it up to the top of the concerts of the tour, but the set was on par with others this tour.

By the way, the argument that Bonaroo is somehow a special set and MSG is not because it is recycled is very silly. Bonaroo was right at the beginning. The only way it gets credit for being "fresh" is if it remained unique throughout the whole tour which it certainly hasn't. And its not like the dropped the Leash or Dirty Frank or something that hadn't been played in a decade there. So that argument doesn't make sense to me.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I have not been to a show this tour.
    My choice would have to be based on set list.
    I would be happy with Bonnaroo and MSG.

I've seen 22 shows but have hot heard live....WMA, Who You Are, No More
    Love Reign O'er Me or All night.

I would want those (5) songs in the set list.

Those (2) shows have those (5) songs.

The bonus of Hard To Imagine as the opener and Watchtower as an encore
    on both seals the deal.
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    By the way, the argument that Bonaroo is somehow a special set and MSG is not because it is recycled is very silly. Bonaroo was right at the beginning. The only way it gets credit for being "fresh" is if it remained unique throughout the whole tour which it certainly hasn't. And its not like the dropped the Leash or Dirty Frank or something that hadn't been played in a decade there. So that argument doesn't make sense to me.

you mean like they didn't play WMA for the first time in 13 years? Longer than they waited in between the last time they played Leash and Boston2-2006?

Again, it might not seem fresh now 3 weeks later because MSG and Camden got all of Bonaroo's leftovers.- but Bonaroo had the first EVER performance of All Night, and WMA for the first time in 13 years---how that is not special is beyond me