Options

The Top Three 2008 Shows so far...

Comments

• Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Didn't go to any other shows so I don't know whether Eddie commented about the crowd like he did a couple times in DC. IMO that meant the band was really feeling us and the energy level was unreal. Plus the setlist was awesome.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Msg1
    Roo
    Camden 1

That's a pretty fair list right there.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Nope, sorry. Their playing was FLAWLESS last night. Even at Camden 2 there were a few fuckups. Last night was perfect.

They fucked up Marker in the Sand... I have the video to prove it; if you would like to see it. ;) But it was an awesome set either way. Personally I like it when they fuck up it reminds us they are human.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    1. Camden 1
    2. Camden 2
    3. MSG 2

I have to say though, that I had an incredible time in VA Beach (had 3rd row, which was closer than I've ever been). VA Beach was a great show, with great people, and a gorgeous area. DC was a show that got better and better as it went along, although I thought the crowd was silent compared to the Camdens or MSG shows. At least, in the middle of the floor, it was quiet.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    I just have to say all this talk about WMA... I must remind people they played most of it connected to Daughter in Camden night II 2006... Food for thought.
  • Options
    velogator wrote:
    Comparing shows will always be subjective.

THANK YOU!
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    shows i've seen this tour top 3 camden1 then msg followed by camden2.
    edit 1. Msg2 2. camden1 3.msg1 4.camden2
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    WPB is pretty damn good show as well. The boot sounds great and Ed hasn't sounded better since 98 and some of 2000.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    I'm sure every show rocked. It's fucking Pearl Jam! :)

My opinion based on setlists, reviews, crowd energy, and the Spin videos:

1.) MSG 1
    2.) D.C.
    3.) Columbia

I'd also buy Bonnaroo just because of all the positive reviews. I wouldn't suggest the Va. Beach show (which I went to) unless you're really a big Binaural/Yield fan or if you want "Guaranteed."
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    Hold OnHold On Posts: 80
    The only people who could really rate them are people who were at every show. I was at DC and it was incredible, but based on reading all the threads and fan reviews, it seems the MSG1 and perhaps Bonnaroo were even better (if that's even possible).
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    wilmack88 wrote:
    biased any? Bonaroo and DC had the best set lists IMO. MSG was not the historic event people were expecting, don't buy into the hype
    agreed, and i was there. i thought the camden shows and dc both had better setlists...and if you're looking for a bootleg i imagine you care more about that than the crowd energy.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Didn't go to any other shows so I don't know whether Eddie commented about the crowd like he did a couple times in DC. IMO that meant the band was really feeling us and the energy level was unreal. Plus the setlist was awesome.

I think the number of songs that they played at DC also shows how good the crowd was.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Has any downloaded any of the bootlegs yet? And can let us know how they sound compared to last tour?
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    If the MSG shows were the first shows of the tour I think people would be going crazy over them, it seems like nobody gives a shit about songs they were once dying to hear (Who you are, WMA, All night). Once songs have been played a couple times, nobody thinks they're special anymore. It's pretty stupid to think that way.

Just to clarify, I know not every fan is like that at all, but it seems like a good amount.
  • Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    Haha I love this thread :)

I can only give my opinion on the shows I was at:

1) Columbia
    2) Tampa
    3) Va Beach
    4) WPB

I am ordering Bonnaroo also because of the setlist.

I would recommend Columbia to you. Great show, great setlist, great crowd.

Columbia does have a sick setlist. That show is the first one on my list. MSG 2 has Black Diamond with Ace. How cool is that. I may have to buy that show just for that song alone. Well maybe as a download. I really want the best shows to be CDs.
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Dan1984 wrote:
    I really want the best shows to be CDs.

I want them all!!! :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    LukinFan wrote:
    I want them all!!! :)

You know I was just looking at that... To buy them all it would cost about $221 and with no shipping charges that is not a bad deal. Who knows I still may only pick my favorite three or five shows and buy those CDs...
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    As of know, I'd go with

1) Columbia
    2) MSG II
    3) Camden I

Might as well wait one more week to see Hartford and Mansfield, and hopefully a Beacon CD as well

Im buying them all regardless

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    umlawgradumlawgrad Posts: 24
    I was at WPB and Tampa, so I ordered those on CD. I also ordered Bonnaroo and Columbia based on the setlists. I will wait until the end of the tour and rely on threads like these to decide what else to get. I will definitely get at least two more later shows. That being said, I would rank the shows as follows:

1) Columbia

2) West Palm Beach (I have been to five shows they played 10 songs I had never heard live before)

3) Bonaroo

I know setlist is only a portion of the quality of a show, but if I am not at the show, setlists are all I can go by (along with fan reviews).
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Columbia
    Camden I
    Camden II

Very sad I couldn't be in attendance for Columbia based on the setlist. Which is what I'm going by on my ratings for all who give a shit.

DC was a a nice show but doesn't beat the above three. MSG I is the better pick of the two of them.

Wait until the mini-tour is done. Who knows what in store for us the next few shows.
  • Options
    pjnuggetpjnugget Posts: 8
    My top 3 are:

1. Hartford
    2. Bonnaroo
    3. MSG 2

Those are the 3 shows I went to so that's why I'm putting these 3 up there.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    hartford
    camden 1
    MSG 1

but colombia SC looks great on paper
  • Options
    offwegooffwego Posts: 27
    From a flow from song to song and the crowd

Columbia
    Camden 1
    Tampa
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I can only speak of the MSG shows but night 2 absolutely blew night 1 out of the water!
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    strangespotintheskystrangespotinthesky Pittsburgh Posts: 32
    Out of the 3 shows I was at I'd rank them

1. Bonnaroo
    2. MSG II
    3. MSG I

Bonnaroo had me expecting Greatist Hits and when I heard the first riff of HTI I knew we were in for a special night. It is easily in the top 3 Pearl Jam shows I've been to (the other two being State College 03 and Philly 05). Besides the amazing setlist (I mean Release in the encore!) there were so many intangibles about the Bonaroo experience that made it even that much better... Such as the 10 hour wait in line to get in the pit, seeing B.B. King hours before, getting crushed in line during Jack Johnson and the amazing weather that night.

Also the PA system at Bonnaroo was THE BEST I've ever heard at any concert in life. It was the cleanest, most powerful sound I've aver heard at any concert (and I'm talking 100's concerts over the years). All acts sounding amazing not just PJ - I don't know anything about PA systems but whatever they used at Bonnaroo was unbelievable.

MSG I - I had such high hopes for this show - so it had a lot to live up to. The crowd was amazing but to me it felt like Bonnaroo II set list wise. I know I was in the minority (going to Bonnaroo and MSG) so to others getting this set for the first time it was much better I'm sure.

MSG II was much, much better. Crowd was better (had the stage rocking a lot more) and for me the set list was much better. Only let downs were the repeated songs with the backup singers and I Believe in Miracles again. Black Diamond was off the hook and besides Mike's opening vocals was very tight. No Black either night was a bit of a let down for me also.

One thing I noticed this tour is a more animated Stone - he was over Mike's side a lot more than I've ever seen in the past. Was awesome to see that!

I will say on paper the Hartford set list has left me very jealous - lot's of songs I wanted to hear. Though the 10c line issues and the crowd control make me feel a little better about it...
    Pitt '98 - Pitt '00 - Pitt '03 - State College '03 - Hershey '03 - Toledo '04 - Pitt '05 - Philly '05 - Cleveland '06 - Pitt '06 - Cinci '06 - Bonnaroo '08 - MSG I '08 - MSG II '08
  • Options
    Elderly ManElderly Man Posts: 235
    hartford
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    WPB

Hartford (The crowd was average tho)

Mansfield

...been to 5 so far this tour, goin Monday...#25...they better play Smile and Leash again
    ...31 shows and counting...
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    MSG1
    Hartford
    Columbia
  • Options
    They fucked up Marker in the Sand... I have the video to prove it; if you would like to see it. ;) But it was an awesome set either way. Personally I like it when they fuck up it reminds us they are human.

I was there.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    If the MSG shows were the first shows of the tour I think people would be going crazy over them, it seems like nobody gives a shit about songs they were once dying to hear (Who you are, WMA, All night). Once songs have been played a couple times, nobody thinks they're special anymore. It's pretty stupid to think that way.

It's because they aren't really that good to begin with (except W.M.A., love that one). I means, there is a reason why Pearl Jam never played them much before. And even songs that may seem great may not be suitable for a live setting (which may explain many of the other songs Pearl Jam doesn't play on a regular basis that you guys are always screaming for, like Hold On maybe).

Once people heard All Night live and realized that it actuall wasn't that exciting, they moved on.
    -Reagan