Options

Scared of Fear

Comments

• Options
    Scared of Fear is my favorite song on a great album. I'll be humming Stone's guitar riff until the day I die. 🥑 
  • Options
    KO176001KO176001 Posts: 9
    Awesome song. Seems like as much as I turn it up, it could be played louder. 
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    I’m having the same issue😊
    What a song! 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    Lifted said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Best opening track since Go
    I think it's the best opening track since whoever said. I'm kidding, but im not. I thought whoever said was the best song they had recorded in at least 18 years when it was released. Still do. Scared of fear is great too though, and might be my favorite from the new album.
    Agree!  I think Who Ever Said is such a great song.  If I had a critique it’d be that it is probably about 45 seconds too long but absolutely love it.  

Scared of Fear is damn good too by the way.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,011
    edited April 21
    It so fucking good. Since I first heard it I loved it. I was lucky to be at the London listening event and I came away with this song already knowing I love it. And now I can listen obsessively over and over . I just can't get enough. In my car I'm in serious danger of getting arrested.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 950
    It so fucking good. Since I first heard it I loved it. I was lucky to be at the London listening event and I came away with this song already knowing I love it. And now I can listen obsessively over and over . I just can't get enough. In my car I'm in serious danger of getting arrested.
    I think you’ll be fine, surely it would go like this.

Police officer - “excuse me sir, why were you speeding?”

lastexitlondon - “it’s not my fault, listen to this”

**plays Scared Of Fear**

Police officer - “oh shit that’s awesome, you’re free to go”
  • Options
    That's how I imagine it . 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    These lyrics are just so sad man
    .I really feel them. And feel for ed.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    kmcmanus said:
    Jcanr20 said:
    Was Ed even close to Cornell? Seems like everyone wants to think that every song is about him. I don't get it.
    Extremely, but not as much in the years before he died. Cornell was living in LA with his 2nd wife and it seems like maybe a lot of Seattle people were wishing they saw him more often. 
    I personally suspect Comes Then Goes is at least partially about him but I think that’s about the extent of it. Some people seem to see it in songs I just don’t see it in.
    Comes Then Goes absolutely is about CC
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    My favourite song on DM
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    C-Wad84911C-Wad84911 Ohio Posts: 8
    This is my favorite song on the album.  One hell of an opener.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,817
    This is my favorite song on the album.  One hell of an opener.
    Going to be amazing live. I can't wait to see the crowd bouncing after the bridge. 
  • Options
    yellowled81yellowled81 Posts: 87
    Am I the only one that gets some “Garden” when it slows down in the bridge?!

Great opening song on a great fucking album!
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 367

Absolutely, has that vibe for sure and the frenetic strumming in the chorus reminds me of Rearviewmirror.

Every time I listen to it I find something new to love about it!
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    I just hope this one opens up some shows.......and right into React Respond.......

Manchester would be lovely for this btw ;)
  • Options
    Greyhound06Greyhound06 Posts: 24
    And so much emotion in the voice. He feels this song in every word and the lyrics break my heart, but are also so powerful I can scream them out every time I listen to this song. 

I think my Spotify Charts at the end of the year have a winner. 
  • Options
    This is how I feel  ^^^
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    wozza77wozza77 Posts: 274
    edited April 22
    My favourite track on the album. Hoping they play it in uk. 
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 200
    I enjoy this song. Sounds very similar to Brother the Cloud both musically and thematically. The bridge is suuuper similar to the outro of BTC
    I caught this too and it gave me pause for a minute, but for me that’s more or less where any Earthling comparisons ended. Love this song.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    One of the best Pearl Jam songs to come out since I started following the band around 2008, and possibly THE best 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230
    edited April 22
    This song is so good and what an amazing opener.  I love Stone's playing throughout,  especially that guitar tone.  It's uplifting and happy to hear it as the awesome album kicks in to gear.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,889
    It was played live on Howard Stern!  Wow, wasn't expecting that (especially over the song Dark Matter).  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    It was played live on Howard Stern!  Wow, wasn't expecting that (especially over the song Dark Matter).  
    This sounded great on Howard.  I'm thinking Dark Matter is going to need more of the crew to pull off-- lots of effects and layers.  Also on Scared of Fear, I'm not sure if Stone screwed up the first note a bit, or it's something that I'm not picking up on the album recording, but it sounds like he slides into the first chord in the live version.  Then he did it again.  Might be using the old jazz adage, "do it once it's an accident, do it twice it's on purpose" ;)
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498

First time hearing it in the theatre I started humming the vocal lines to Garden.  There's definitely an element in there.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 421
    I enjoy this song. Sounds very similar to Brother the Cloud both musically and thematically. The bridge is suuuper similar to the outro of BTC
    I caught this too and it gave me pause for a minute, but for me that’s more or less where any Earthling comparisons ended. Love this song.
    you know, when brother the cloud came out - that break was so good I thought to myself - damn i wish it were a PJ song... Then scared of fear came out and I immediately thought of brother the cloud - that break/bridge is going to be so great and intense live...
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 421
    And so much emotion in the voice. He feels this song in every word and the lyrics break my heart, but are also so powerful I can scream them out every time I listen to this song. 

I think my Spotify Charts at the end of the year have a winner. 
    The lyrics are phenomenal - for those that have loss of a friend - end of a relationship that went sour - we can all relate to that lyric - is this what we've become? One last setting sun? 
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    Phenomenal indeed. The best song for many years
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    It’s a brilliant song and then the brilliance of the album just flows from there. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Wow. Is there a link for this performance? 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    This song fucking rocks!!!  Sounded great on incredible on Howard yesterday.  Can't wait to hear this one live...