Options

Pearl Jam or Taylor Swift?

Comments

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,245
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    more popular - taylor swift?
    better musically and lyrically? pearl jam

It's not even debatable. each member of pearl jam has more musical talent then taylor could ever hope to have.  don't confuse popularity, appearance, and performer ability to be the same as musical talent.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514

It's not even debatable. each member of pearl jam has more musical talent then taylor could ever hope to have.  don't confuse popularity, appearance, and performer ability to be the same as musical talent.
    The Tortured Bad Take Department 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,885
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    My daughter is two years old and can name two musical artists... Pearl Jam and Taylor Swift.  Thanks to her dad and mom, respectively lol. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,079

don't confuse popularity, appearance, and performer ability to be the same as lack of musical talent.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    Taylor is talented but personally I’m getting sick of her being everywhere I turn. I’d love for her to disappear for awhile. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    PJammin' said:
    Taylor is talented but personally I’m getting sick of her being everywhere I turn. I’d love for her to disappear for awhile. 
    Maybe she’ll stop making videos and release Who You Are as the first single soon :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,350

You have a blind spot here if you can't see that Taylor Swift is an incredibly talented performer, musician and songwriter. Sometimes, things are really popular because they're really good. She may not be your speed, but suggesting that she is not talented is not really a credible or defensible take.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options

don't confuse popularity, appearance, and performer ability to be the same as lack of musical talent.
    These are two strong back-to-back posts, my Swedish friend. (Everyone I know goes away in the end...) This one is well-said, and the one about not making videos and releasing "Who You Are" is genius.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    I can't make an opinion because I don't appreciate the modern pop genre.   So any opinion would hold biased because I can't unbiasedly judge a genre I don't appreciate :)  I think people who like rock and modern pop would need to chime in.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I really can't stand pop music for the most part, but man, her talent is undeniable. Her likability is off the freaking charts. if there's a single billionaire on the planet that isn't a POS, it's her. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Zod said:
    I can't make an opinion because I don't appreciate the modern pop genre.   So any opinion would hold biased because I can't unbiasedly judge a genre I don't appreciate :)  I think people who like rock and modern pop would need to chime in.
    Have you listened to Folklore and Evermore? If she were an unknown artist, those albums would have been branded as Triple-A or college rock. As it was, Billboard grouped them with Rock & Alternative.

I went to Target today to pick up The Tortured Poets Department (and toiletries). I also considered buying, but did not buy, another copy of the Dark Matter CD since mine is not scheduled to arrive until Monday. Why didn't I buy it? It's $17.99 plus tax (the LP was $39.99 at Target), and since I was able to burn the downloads onto a CD, I couldn't justify paying 20 bucks to see the artwork three days early when I've already purchased a CD, an LP and a Blu-ray.

Anyway, back to Taylor. As most folks here know, I'm a fan of her, not only as an artist but as a person. Hugh Dillon is spot on; I have seen her sincerity and kindness in the real world with no cameras present. But I have to say that the decision to offer all of these variants with a single unique song on each is really exploiting her fans. Not only are there four different LPs, each with a unique track, but there are also four different CDs (with four different covers and four different posters inside, apparently). Of course, no one is obligated to buy all of the different variants, but imagine how hard it would be to resist if Pearl Jam did something like this. (We don't even have to imagine because we have people buying fourteen different Pearl Jam LPs that don't even have unique tracks.) I would hate to be the parent of a 12-year-old whose favorite artist is Taylor Swift trying to explain why they'll have to settle for one album variant only because that's all the budget will allow. As for myself, not having heard any of the tracks, as a consumer, I felt a little paralyzed as to which CD to buy. I basically defaulted to number 1. Hopefully, "The Manuscript" is better than the three songs on the other discs that I passed on.

Someone above made the point of being tired of her and wanting her to go away for a while, and I get that. I would just say that at least her saturation in the culture is primarily a function of the fact that she keeps making music. She's not in the news because she's on reality shows or selling a fragrance or a fashion line or a bunch of other stuff that's extraneous to her art. Yes, she is dating a very famous person, but even that is not something we've heard much about since football season ended. And a lot of the stuff that people choose to write about her is not really anything she's responsible for. Think of that asinine thinkpiece in the New York Times a few months ago speculating about her sexual orientation. Or the article they ran this week about her and Beyonce staying out of each other's way with their release dates-- as if this is something new (the Beatles and Stones used to do the same thing), and as if it benefits anyone other than Beyonce, whose sales are dwarfed by Swift's and would lose a head-to-head battle for number one in a walkover.
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    For those asking for Taylor to go away, she pretty much did once already. After reputation. She had gotten so insanely popular at that point that there was a huge backlash against her. The thing is she is so damn talented that she came back after that is now even more popular than she was before. I have been a fan of hers since she came out. I don’t like pop music but she is such a great songwriter I found it impossible not to love her music. And folklore is a masterpiece. She might not be your thing but you really can’t deny at this point that she is a prolific writer and performer. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 348
    EH14457 said:
    I reeeeeally wasn’t expecting to say this, but Dark Matter is better than TTPD.

Admittedly I’m a bigger Pearl Jam fan, but I own most of Taylor’s albums on vinyl… I’ve watched all her docs. I appreciate good pop music. 

TTPD feels like she just wanted to get some shit off her chest quickly after a breakup and move on. There are some great lyrics and some cringe lyrics. Production-wise, it feels like a lazy extension of Midnights.

No doubt it’ll have billions of streams and be in contention for album of the year because everything she touches turns to gold right now. But it’s… not great. Jack Antonoff needs to go away for a while. 
    My daughter who is a huge TS fan said it sounds like she just wrote a lot of poetry last year and then put some music behind it. As opposed to writing songs and thinking of the production, if that makes sense. She's been playing it since last night so I've heard a fair amount already. It all kind of sounds the same to me. Sort of like a cross of Folklore and Midnights. Not a dis, just what I've experienced, though I haven't given it its due yet. Glad she's gone for the weekend so I can listen to Dark Matter in peace and have to compete with Tay Tay. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 696
    TS isn't what I would say is my genre. I'm not the audience. Not really my type of music. With that said, you can't deny her talent. Its hard to reach such a broad spectrum of people. As I said, its not my type of music......but its good.  
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,493
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    I'll reserve judgment as I've heard Dark Matter like 6 times and not even half of the Poets album. That "Daddy" song is absolutely brutal, I will say.

I liked the Cloud Nothings album and the Local Natives album didn't do much for me, but sometimes they take a while to grow on me. Apparently there's also a Nikki Minaj album - I don't know the first thing about her.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Say what? Taylor Swift is INSANELY musically talented.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    PJammin' said:
    Maybe she’ll stop making videos and release Who You Are as the first single soon :)
    This has occurred to me.  Will she hit the point where she needs a break from the fame, but is unable to turn it off.  Will she go all PJ, or will she be fine with it? :)
  • Options
    Apparently there's also a Nikki Minaj album - I don't know the first thing about her.
    Then you already know more than you need to.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    PJ_Soul said:

Yep, at spewing out the commercial, canned pop crap. No argument there
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

canned pop crap? you aren't a serious music fan. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

canned pop crap? you aren't a serious music fan. 
    PFFFFFFFT, i don’t care if she is the most talented musical artist ever, it is garbage to me. 
    And this from the dude that thinks the Headstones are the best band in the history of rock n roll. By the way, you were great in Mayor of Kingstown👍👍👍
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    tbergs said:
    My opinion is that Taylor needs an editor. She throws a lot of music at people but she could benefit from trimming all the fat and delivering a solid 10 song album. It all just sounds so repetitive at this point, but her fans eat it up so she keeps cashing in. So glad PJ starves us a little :lol:
    She can send an album out of burps and she’ll sell more than PJ. She ain’t trying to be Pink Floyd 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    What is with the never ending comparisons between these two? Apples and oranges
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,046
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    tbergs said:
    My opinion is that Taylor needs an editor. She throws a lot of music at people but she could benefit from trimming all the fat and delivering a solid 10 song album. It all just sounds so repetitive at this point, but her fans eat it up so she keeps cashing in. So glad PJ starves us a little :lol:
    She can send an album out of burps and she’ll sell more than PJ. She ain’t trying to be Pink Floyd 
    Well said. She's riding this wave right now and whatever she touches will sell a billion copies.
    You really can't compare the two, they are largely targeting (pun intended) different audiences. 
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I have often explained the fact that the terrible Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" hit No. 3 because it featured Michael Jackson singing the chorus at a time when Michael Jackson could have recorded himself farting and reached the top ten with it. Sometimes an artist can just do no wrong... although that's a poor choice of words in the context of Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    tbergs said:
    I have often explained the fact that the terrible Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" hit No. 3 because it featured Michael Jackson singing the chorus at a time when Michael Jackson could have recorded himself farting and reached the top ten with it. Sometimes an artist can just do no wrong... although that's a poor choice of words in the context of Michael Jackson.
    Why? Because you’re one of the sheep that thinks he was guilty of all those bs charges? 

• Options
    Kurt Brutus BaconKurt Brutus Bacon Posts: 78
    edited April 30
    Post edited by Kurt Brutus Bacon on
    Roskilde 2000, Barcelona 2006, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, London 2010, Arras 2010, Berlin x 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Seattle 2013, Stockholm 2014, Boston x 2 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Budapest 2022
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Good question…….
    Post edited by Haijay on
  • Options
    Haijay said:
    BF25394 said:
    tbergs said:
    Why? Because you’re one of the sheep that thinks he was guilty of all those bs charges? 

You sound like my classmate Tina back in the 90s when we were 11-12