Options

Pearl Jam or Taylor Swift?

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,496
    DARN IT

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 624
    I tried to listen to a few songs and they really all sounded very similar in style.  Like sleepy teenage poems over some generic music.  I couldn’t imagine listening to 31 of those.  But hey that’s just my taste.  It’s just not for me.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    DARN IT

That’s gotta be before the Paste review. They gave her a 3.8. Critic was left anonymous to prevent any online hassle from her fans.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    PJammin' said:
    Taylor is talented but personally I’m getting sick of her being everywhere I turn. I’d love for her to disappear for awhile. 
    Maybe she’ll stop making videos and release Who You Are as the first single soon :)
    This could be your best line ever.  Nice work!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

That’s gotta be before the Paste review. They gave her a 3.8. Critic was left anonymous to prevent any online hassle from her fans.
    What a toxic fan base 
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 112
    Why is this question in this forum?
    Consider the source.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    edited April 20
    When Swifties and Jamily meet at Woodstock 2028 it is gonna be bada$$!
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,759
    edited April 20
    Why is this question in this forum?
    1. It is PJ related

2. It’s more fun than 99% of the questions posted here. We all saw Ed dancing at the TS concert in Seattle last year, he’s having fun, we should be having fun 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 258

2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,515
    Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department
    BF25394 said:
    tbergs said:
    My opinion is that Taylor needs an editor. She throws a lot of music at people but she could benefit from trimming all the fat and delivering a solid 10 song album. It all just sounds so repetitive at this point, but her fans eat it up so she keeps cashing in. So glad PJ starves us a little :lol:
    She can send an album out of burps and she’ll sell more than PJ. She ain’t trying to be Pink Floyd 
    I have often explained the fact that the terrible Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" hit No. 3 because it featured Michael Jackson singing the chorus at a time when Michael Jackson could have recorded himself farting and reached the top ten with it. Sometimes an artist can just do no wrong... although that's a poor choice of words in the context of Michael Jackson.
    I loved the Rockwell song at the time and was not that much of a MJ fan. But it's very possible it would not have been a hit without Mike 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    EH14457 said:
    Just back here to contradict my previous statement. Part 2 of TTPD is great. Aaron Dessner’s songs mostly sound like if Folklore and 1989 had a baby. 
    I wish you hadn't said this. As these are digital-only and I don't really have a convenient way to listen to them, I was going to hold off on engaging with them until the inevitable physical release, but your description is going to make it hard to wait for them.
    NYT says don't waste your time with the "largely superfluous" Anthology tracks 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/arts/music/taylor-swift-album-tortured-poets-department-review.html?unlocked_article_code=1.l00.1T6T.RvpHMNw3HGcv&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,863
    bootleg said:
    I tried to listen to a few songs and they really all sounded very similar in style.  Like sleepy teenage poems over some generic music.  I couldn’t imagine listening to 31 of those.  But hey that’s just my taste.  It’s just not for me.
    She's a 35-year-old woman. "Sleepy teenage poems," really? Unless she has suddenly regressed as a songwriter, I find it hard to believe this characterization could be accurate. It reminds me of when a music-snob friend described Eddie Vedder's lyrics as "greeting-card poetry."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    tbergs said:
    My opinion is that Taylor needs an editor. She throws a lot of music at people but she could benefit from trimming all the fat and delivering a solid 10 song album. It all just sounds so repetitive at this point, but her fans eat it up so she keeps cashing in. So glad PJ starves us a little :lol:
    She can send an album out of burps and she’ll sell more than PJ. She ain’t trying to be Pink Floyd 
    I have often explained the fact that the terrible Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" hit No. 3 because it featured Michael Jackson singing the chorus at a time when Michael Jackson could have recorded himself farting and reached the top ten with it. Sometimes an artist can just do no wrong... although that's a poor choice of words in the context of Michael Jackson.
    I loved the Rockwell song at the time and was not that much of a MJ fan. But it's very possible it would not have been a hit without Mike 
    I loved it, too. Then again, I was eight years old.
  • Options
    This is off-topic, but I'm in this thread and it doesn't really warrant a new thread:

MTV Classic is showing the video for "Amongst the Waves" right now.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

It might be after that because the last time I looked at this, the score was 90.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 624
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    She's a 35-year-old woman. "Sleepy teenage poems," really? Unless she has suddenly regressed as a songwriter, I find it hard to believe this characterization could be accurate. It reminds me of when a music-snob friend described Eddie Vedder's lyrics as "greeting-card poetry."
    I don’t know if it’s a regression but it is a little childish to be writing a Kim Kardashian diss track at 35 with lyrics that reference  “…push me down the stairs at our school.”  and “..my mother is a saintly woman but she used to say she wished you dead”

Then with song titles like But Daddy I love Him, and I Can Fix Him.  And then there this gem…

Truth, dare, spin bottles
    You know how to ball, I know Aristotle
    Brand new, full throttle
    Touch me while your bros play 
    Grand Theft Auto
    It's true, swear, scouts honor
    You knew what you wanted, and, boy, you got her
    Brand new, full throttle
    You already know, babe

But besides some cringe lyrics I think over time even the most devoted Swifties will find this collection of songs sonically boring, and all a bit too similar in structure and style.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,838
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

Her fanbase is childish. Not all of them, but a lot of them.  I swear, it’s a twisted cult. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 805
    edited April 21
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

Her fanbase is childish. Not all of them, but a lot of them.  I swear, it’s a twisted cult. 
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

Is her fan base really any different than PJs? people on this forum aren’t practically a cult?  People still think PJ is relevant while TS actually is. Been here since the start, 10 came out my sophomore year of college. Love the band. They haven’t been relevant in at least 10 years. My son is 23 and LOVES music, actually doesn’t mind PJ but he is like, year no they aren’t on anyone’s radar right now.  Still love them though. Dark matter is there best album in at least 16 years. I have started listening to lots 0f other music in that time, artists that excite me more, different genres etc. I love TS. Yes I am a 52 yr old male, not remotely her target audience. But damn she can write songs. Her audience is much more diverse these days. I can finally admit I like her lol. If I look at my stats on Apple Music, PJ is barely in my top 10 the last few years. Zach Bryan has been #1 the last 2 years and Taylor #2. I feel there are a lot of people in this forum that are PJ or bust but there are a lot of other good musicians out there. Branch out folks, and don’t worry about what others think. 
    Post edited by marjen on
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 353
    Better question who will sell more vinyl?
    Taytay
    Taytay? Tina, is that YOU?? Lololololololol
  • Options
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

There's a weird stan culture in pop music fed by social media, and her fan base is bigger than anyone's. I don't know that it's more twisted per capita than the other fan armies, but it's definitely bigger.

I can relate to wanting to defend someone you admire from unfair or uninformed criticism. I can't relate to the competitive aspect of fandom. I can relate to it in the context of sports--there are teams I enjoy seeing lose-- but I don't get it in the context of music. I love Pearl Jam, but that never meant that I had to hate other rock bands who are their "competitors."
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,364
    You know, it’s ok to not like Taylor Swift.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,667
    Taylor can be loved.
    Taylor can be love.
    ❤️ 
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,014
    Maybe PJ missed a trick & should of done a song with Post Malone called "Always tired" 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,838
    edited April 21
    marjen said:
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

Is her fan base really any different than PJs? people on this forum aren’t practically a cult?  People still think PJ is relevant while TS actually is. Been here since the start, 10 came out my sophomore year of college. Love the band. They haven’t been relevant in at least 10 years. My son is 23 and LOVES music, actually doesn’t mind PJ but he is like, year no they aren’t on anyone’s radar right now.  Still love them though. Dark matter is there best album in at least 16 years. I have started listening to lots 0f other music in that time, artists that excite me more, different genres etc. I love TS. Yes I am a 52 yr old male, not remotely her target audience. But damn she can write songs. Her audience is much more diverse these days. I can finally admit I like her lol. If I look at my stats on Apple Music, PJ is barely in my top 10 the last few years. Zach Bryan has been #1 the last 2 years and Taylor #2. I feel there are a lot of people in this forum that are PJ or bust but there are a lot of other good musicians out there. Branch out folks, and don’t worry about what others think. 
    I wasn’t even talking about PJ’s fanbase, that’s a whole other discussion. Anyway, when a critic has to remain nameless when giving her latest album a low rated review bcuz of her triggered fanbase, it says a lot. A lot of them are nuts. 
    Post edited by PJammin' on
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    PJammin' said:
    marjen said:
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

I wasn’t even talking about PJ’s fanbase, that’s a whole other discussion. Anyway, when a critic has to remain nameless when giving her latest album a low rated review bcuz of her triggered fanbase, it says a lot. A lot of them are nuts. 
    The same people would have attacked Nirvana-fans in 1993 being ready to die on the schoolyard for cutiepie Eddie Vedder that was hanging on their walls. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,652
    Taylor SwiftTHE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT (Republic) 2m+ 
    Pearl JamDark Matter(Monkeywrench/Republic) 55-60k

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    PJammin' said:
    marjen said:
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

You say this like it's unique to Swift and uncommon with any large fanbase (especially in the Internet era). 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    Pearl Jam - Dark Matter
    mpedone said:
    PJammin' said:
    marjen said:
    PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

PJammin' said:
    kmcmanus said:
    DARN IT

You say this like it's unique to Swift and uncommon with any large fanbase (especially in the Internet era). 
    I’d expect that if Paste was running a 3.8 review for say Beyoncé or Olivia Rodrigo the would also use an anonymous byline, it’s not just a Taylor Swift thing. 
  • Options
    Also, did they really have to do it. Or have they now got people who wouldn't talk about Paste talk about Paste
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    You know, it’s ok to not like Taylor Swift.
    Depends who you ask https://www.thecut.com/article/taylor-swift-fans-and-haters-friendship-breakups.html