Options

Rest in Peace Tom Pugh - founder of Given to Live

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    Speaking of Leeds that reminded me we all slept outside the arena the night before and there was a drunk homeless man harassing some of the ladies with us so I had a word with the guy and I remember tom saying to me not to be rude to the guy and tom went and spoke with him. It made me a touch more compassionate. Also I don't know if anyone knew tom wasa qualified masseuse. I had hurt my neck sleeping on the floor and he worked on my neck for about 10 mins the morning of the show. Oh and I also remembered he offered (15 years back in my first post) to get on a train from Bristol to come and have a coffee and talk.
    The measure of the man
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Speaking of Leeds that reminded me we all slept outside the arena the night before and there was a drunk homeless man harassing some of the ladies with us so I had a word with the guy and I remember tom saying to me not to be rude to the guy and tom went and spoke with him. It made me a touch more compassionate. Also I don't know if anyone knew tom wasa qualified masseuse. I had hurt my neck sleeping on the floor and he worked on my neck for about 10 mins the morning of the show. Oh and I also remembered he offered (15 years back in my first post) to get on a train from Bristol to come and have a coffee and talk.
    The measure of the man
    selfless to a T Rob, 

That night outside of Leeds was a LONG one.......but man was it worth it. 

GTL was in its infancy at that point and I remember going up and down the line with a bucket fundraising with Tom, it wasnt an easy sell in the early days either but he was so bloody good at it because he felt it and passionately believed in it. Absolute legend of a man
  • Options
    Rained non stop 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    Very sweet stories. Seems like a mountain of a person. Nice to hear how he will live in so many hearts forever.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    Cool person, cool cause. RIP
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 930
    I interviewed Tom for the pod a few years back and thought it would be appropriate to re-share his story for those who want to get the full sense of his impact on this community. I’ve also added a conversation with a young boy named Reece Jones who got the Given To Live experience in Oakland a few years ago. Please take time to listen if you can.

Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 100
    It sounds like the man did a wealth of good and left a very impactful legacy. Sending thoughts and love to his friends and family.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,850
    I'm sorry to hear of the everyone's loss. By all accounts it sounds like Tom was a supernova of a human being. We should all be so lucky to leave a fraction of the compassion and love in our wake. Rest easy, Tom, and sincere condolences to Ewa and all those close to him.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625

stina1118 said:
    It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted in here. I wish it was to complain about the merch line, not to say good-bye to a friend. And not just any friend… A friend I will hold in my heart forever. And a friendship that began right here in the PJ forums. 

Dave and Tom through Given to Live; gifted me, my son Joshua and my husband Josh the most amazing memories any Pearl Jam fan could ever ask for. As corny as it sounds, my heart still feels like I can burst any time I think about it.

I’m still trying to process this, we’re heartbroken. These lyrics really hit home today. 

And wherever you've gone
    And wherever we might go
    It don't seem fair
    Today just disappeared
    Your lights reflected now
    Reflected from a far
    We were but stones
    Your light made us stars

Thank you Tom. Rest in peace.

Love, The Swansons. 

I had gotten to know Tom before this tour (2013) and this was one really special moment with him and your family that I definitely won't forget. How is Joshua doing these days? 
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    deepest condolences to all his friends & family
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited April 9
    I’m so heartbroken to hear this. He was such a good soul. I met Tom at the Oakland 2013 show; a bunch of us showed up “early” to queue for the rail (haha back then morning of was good enough). There was a car queue and a BART queue. Tom was one of the good people who facilitated a peaceful merging of queues. I remember a young woman who was one of the first in line got robbed, all her money and passport stolen, and Tom helped to calm her down and figure out what to do. It was also through Tom’s good work with Given To Live that I had to good fortune of meeting the Swansons @stina1118. I hope he feels the love, wherever he may be. Rest In Power ❤️

Oakland 2013:

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    stina1118 said:
    It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted in here. I wish it was to complain about the merch line, not to say good-bye to a friend. And not just any friend… A friend I will hold in my heart forever. And a friendship that began right here in the PJ forums. 

Dave and Tom through Given to Live; gifted me, my son Joshua and my husband Josh the most amazing memories any Pearl Jam fan could ever ask for. As corny as it sounds, my heart still feels like I can burst any time I think about it.

I’m still trying to process this, we’re heartbroken. These lyrics really hit home today. 

And wherever you've gone
    And wherever we might go
    It don't seem fair
    Today just disappeared
    Your lights reflected now
    Reflected from a far
    We were but stones
    Your light made us stars

Thank you Tom. Rest in peace.

Love, The Swansons. 

This was really nice, thanks for sharing.  That was such a beautiful thing for Tom, Dave, and everyone else to do.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    @En La Clandestinidad Thank you for asking about Joshua. He’s doing well! Just celebrated his 18th birthday on Saturday.

@Suziemay One of Tom’s gifts was the ability to bring people together. Our GTL experience was amazing for so many reasons. But…the people Tom brought into our life (like you), still mean so much to us.

Thats the true power of GTL. It’s not just a concert experience. For us, it was about feeling acceptance and connecting with people in a special way. Tom had a gift for that and his legacy will live on through those connections. 
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    It was an honor meeting you on your journey, Tom. 
    Rest in peace. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    simkin7074simkin7074 Posts: 249
    Thank you for the beautiful post, Paul.  Tom was a true friend and one that I’m having trouble finding the words to pay tribute to.  I didn’t meet Tom until after the start of GTL, specifically after Joshua’s show in Philly.  In fact I actually met him for the first time in the airport in Cincinnati - I was on my way to Louisville to meet friends for Bourbon and Beyond and he was picking up someone for GTL to take them to the show.  I recognized him and was nervous to approach him but by the end of our short chat it felt like we were old friends.  I was able to help fundraise for GTL and being involved with them was truly life changing.  I was on hand for two of the shows they gifted - for Steph at Fenway and Reece at Oakland - and seeing how much joy he brought into others lives was truly amazing.  He truly had the most compassion of anyone I’ve ever met.  When Tom created GTL he used the slogan Because You Matter, and he gave every one of the people gifted a show a true magical experience so that no matter what they were going through, they could feel like a rock star and experience the power of a live show.  But at the end of the day it was really Tom that mattered most of all, because his passion brought that to life and lit up everyone around him.  I am fortunate to have called him my friend and i admire him tremendously.  It hurts knowing that I won’t get to tell him but it’s comforting seeing all the wonderful stories about him being shared by people whose lives he touched.  His legacy will live on through all the lives he touched in his all too short time with us.  I will always treasure the memories of the times we shared and I already miss him tremendously.  My heart breaks for Ewa - sending love and light to her most of all but to all of Tom’s friends and family.  Rest in peace my friend…

• Options
    Thank you for the beautiful post, Paul.  Tom was a true friend and one that I’m having trouble finding the words to pay tribute to.  I didn’t meet Tom until after the start of GTL, specifically after Joshua’s show in Philly.  In fact I actually met him for the first time in the airport in Cincinnati - I was on my way to Louisville to meet friends for Bourbon and Beyond and he was picking up someone for GTL to take them to the show.  I recognized him and was nervous to approach him but by the end of our short chat it felt like we were old friends.  I was able to help fundraise for GTL and being involved with them was truly life changing.  I was on hand for two of the shows they gifted - for Steph at Fenway and Reece at Oakland - and seeing how much joy he brought into others lives was truly amazing.  He truly had the most compassion of anyone I’ve ever met.  When Tom created GTL he used the slogan Because You Matter, and he gave every one of the people gifted a show a true magical experience so that no matter what they were going through, they could feel like a rock star and experience the power of a live show.  But at the end of the day it was really Tom that mattered most of all, because his passion brought that to life and lit up everyone around him.  I am fortunate to have called him my friend and i admire him tremendously.  It hurts knowing that I won’t get to tell him but it’s comforting seeing all the wonderful stories about him being shared by people whose lives he touched.  His legacy will live on through all the lives he touched in his all too short time with us.  I will always treasure the memories of the times we shared and I already miss him tremendously.  My heart breaks for Ewa - sending love and light to her most of all but to all of Tom’s friends and family.  Rest in peace my friend…

Love this post so much.

He really would be so touched by the amount of people who had so much love for him, Tom seemed unable to see how important he was, he couldn't fully grasp or accept how wonderful he was. There was always that self doubt and that fragility. He was just such a modest man, and I just wish he could see now the difference he made through the kindness of his heart. They broke the mould when they made him and as a result the pain left in his wake is ten fold - you know? that in itself is testament to the man he was. A legend. 
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    Sorry to hear this, it sounds like he was a great guy who will be sorely missed. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    Nice to see Tom mentioned in the April newsletter.
    Classy move by PJ/10C.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,050
    Poncier said:
    Classy move by PJ/10C.
    I have tears and chills seeing him being honored in the newsletter. Thank you PJ/10c for doing that. Tom, your light made us stars....
  • Options
    Classy 10c . Well done 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    simkin7074simkin7074 Posts: 249
    Thank you PJ/10C for honoring Tom in the newsletter.  The true measure of a life well lived is leaving the world a better place than you found it and Tom was that and more.  I’m not crying - you’re crying…
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Classy move by PJ/10C.
    I have tears and chills seeing him being honored in the newsletter. Thank you PJ/10c for doing that. Tom, your light made us stars....
    Seeing that just broke me. Still can’t believe he’s gone. 

Thank you 10c/PJ. 
  • Options
    CoshieCoshie Port Fairy Posts: 279
    So sad to read this. 
    What a fine selfless gentleman who put so much into a great cause that lit the spirits of so many. 
    RIP T. 

Melbourne - 1998-2003-2006-2009-2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo Melbourne - 2011-2014
    Seattle 1 & 2 2018
    Missoula 2018
    Baltimore, New York 2020 😭
    EV & Earthlings New York 1 & 2 - 2022
    EV & Earthlings New Jersey - 2022
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Godspeed Tom
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Ewa and Tom’s loved ones are currently making the arrangements for his funeral. 

Ewa is especially aware that Tom had friends right across the world and is conscious they may wish to pay their respects. They are working on providing a link for people to join online. I will look to provide that link here once the plans are finalised 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    Ewa and Tom’s loved ones are currently making the arrangements for his funeral. 

Ewa is especially aware that Tom had friends right across the world and is conscious they may wish to pay their respects. They are working on providing a link for people to join online. I will look to provide that link here once the plans are finalised 
    Thank you for the update.
  • Options
    Tom's funeral will take place on May 2nd in Bristol, if anyone wishes to attend to pay their respects please drop me a message and I can give you the details

For those wishing to join us in spirit and by way of an online link, I will add that as soon as it is known
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    pdalowsky said:
    Tom's funeral will take place on May 2nd in Bristol, if anyone wishes to attend to pay their respects please drop me a message and I can give you the details

For those wishing to join us in spirit and by way of an online link, I will add that as soon as it is known
    I am so so sorry to hear this! I was right up front with you guys in Manchester 2012 and right up close to Tom. That’s how I got to meet him. 

My sincere and heartfelt condolences 💐 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

What time will it be mate.?I spoke with ewa but I didn't talk about the funeral.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

What time will it be mate.?I spoke with ewa but I didn't talk about the funeral.
    Hi mate, its set for 1.45pm, are you heading over ?