Options

Rest in Peace Tom Pugh - founder of Given to Live

pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
It is with the heaviest of hearts that I write this post today to let all that knew him know that Tom Pugh passed away yesterday unexpectedly. 

The news hit me like a sledgehammer and instantly broke my heart. I know Tom had a great many friends here, and had engaged with so many of this fanbase over the years, both personally and in the capacity of his amazing charity work with Given To Live. His Fiancée Ewa, did ask that I let those who knew him know the tragic news, I know she is suffering terribly.  

His loss ultimately turns off a shining light in the world and leaves it a much darker place. Tom was a gentleman first and foremost. An absolutely amazing man, who had a profound impact on those who had the fortune of meeting him. He was funny, compassionate, kind, caring, gentle, and a champion of those less fortunate. He was special beyond words, and leaves a void that cannot be filled and many aching hearts. No one got the chance to say goodbye and that last chance to tell him how loved he was - I just hope he knew. Life is so brutal, and whilst it might be easy to take for granted  those close to you - please give them that extra hug today. 

I got the privilege of working with Tom on a number of occasions with Given To Live, and am lucky to have witnessed first hand the impact of the beautiful work he carried out. He changed lives, he made special memories for people who really needed them, and he made sure people knew that they mattered. People who's lives were terribly difficult and overwhelming, were treated to times that would put a smile on their face and faith back in their hearts. I watched first hand how he would communicate with his people, how special he made them feel, his attention to detail, and his unwavering compassion. Tom judged no one and loved everyone. I know it is a cliché but the world would be a better place with more 'Toms'. 

I valued his friendship so much, he made me feel rich as a result of knowing him. Today I am so much poorer.

Rest in peace big man, you will always be in my heart and thoughts. Love you Tom. 

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,050
    my memories and time with him will always be blessings to me and the way he used the healing power of music to touch so many lives will always be a legacy.
    He helped give me one of the best experiences ever with this band, this music and all of our friends...Philly LBC (Josh and his family)

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,166
    Really sorry to hear that. Met Tom many times at shows over the years and although I didn't know him well we always stopped to have a chat really nice guy who did great things with given to live.

Rest easy Tom 
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    I’m so sorry…
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,081
    Sorry to hear. He did a lot of good work with his charity 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    Wow so sorry to hear this.  Given to Live is such an amazing thing.  His legacy will live on forever.  
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,160
    Rest in Power. 🙏
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 930
    Truly thankful to have gotten to know him over the years. He was committed to his goal, and cared about those who were going through awful stages of their lives to fill their hearts with the power of live music. The story of how he helped a young boy named Reece is truly incredible. A one of a kind human, he will be deeply missed around these parts
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Rest in peace, Tom.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    Awful news 

Rest in peace 
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,634
    So sad to hear this. Tom was just an amazing person. So glad I had the chance to meet him and Ewa at Fenway in 2016. They both did so much to help so many people. 

RIP, guvnah!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    Many years ago before his charity work I had a phone call from Tom a man I had never met . 
    We spoke for over an hour , Tom had reached out to me to offer a friendly ear, and any help he could offer . I guess everyone knows what went on to be given to live. But well before all of that tom was all about kindness and his purpose was helping others. He completely turned his life around into being a conduit for kindness. 
    A good man gone too soon.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Rest In Peace. GTL is a beautiful thing. He left a legacy.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 580
    So very sad.  RIP Tom.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,511
    Rest in Peace, Tom.
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,970
    Damn, so sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace Tom. Thank you for all that you have done!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Awful. So sorry to hear. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    It takes a special person to go out of their way to help other people the way he did.  It is terribly sad that he is gone, but hopefully family/friends can find some comfort in that he had such a great impact on people during his life and it wasn't wasted.  
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Tom touched so many lives.

RIP
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,866
    This absolutely sucks to hear. I have had the pleasure of communicating with Tom over the years, and to say that he was such a compassionate, loving, and giving person is an understatement. His work has made such an impact in this world that could never be described with words, but if I had to choose at least one word to describe it would be "healing"! Tom knew the power that music (especially live shows) had over people that provided comfort and healing to all. The world is most certainly a darker place without Tom considering the amount of light he shined on to others. I hope his legacy lives on through. RIP in Tom. 
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,307
    Damnit!!  This is a loss to humanity no doubt!!  Loved sharing messages with Tom and enjoyed his humor!  Rest in peace my friend. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    So sorry to hear.  I met him once in 2016, (I think with you Paul) solid guy.  He will be missed.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    I'm so sorry to hear the news. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but his work with Given to Live has inspired not only me but so many others. The world is a worse place this morning.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    RIP Tom. Paul I am very sorry you lost such a good friend. I thought you eulogized him beautifully. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    Wow, such tragic news.
    RIP Tom.
    Blessings and strength to Ewa and all of Tom's family and friends.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,968
    I didn’t know Tom personally but always admired the work he did with Given to Live. He put so much time, effort and passion into helping others and had such great impact. 

My thoughts are with his family and friends. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    Very sad to hear.  While I never knew him, the many posts on here for GTL over the years really demonstrated his kindness.  RIP.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Horrible to read this!
    Like so many it was always inspiring to see what Tom was up to with GTL.
    Much love to his family and friends.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted in here. I wish it was to complain about the merch line, not to say good-bye to a friend. And not just any friend… A friend I will hold in my heart forever. And a friendship that began right here in the PJ forums. 

Dave and Tom through Given to Live; gifted me, my son Joshua and my husband Josh the most amazing memories any Pearl Jam fan could ever ask for. As corny as it sounds, my heart still feels like I can burst any time I think about it.

I’m still trying to process this, we’re heartbroken. These lyrics really hit home today. 

And wherever you've gone
    And wherever we might go
    It don't seem fair
    Today just disappeared
    Your lights reflected now
    Reflected from a far
    We were but stones
    Your light made us stars

Thank you Tom. Rest in peace.

Love, The Swansons. 

• Options
    Johnny AggroJohnny Aggro Posts: 543
    Very sad news. With GTL Tom made the world a better place. Had the pleasure of chatting with him at like 3am after Leeds 2014. Made the term gent redundant. Thoughts with his loved ones at this sad time

RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    stina1118 said:
    It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted in here. I wish it was to complain about the merch line, not to say good-bye to a friend. And not just any friend… A friend I will hold in my heart forever. And a friendship that began right here in the PJ forums. 

Dave and Tom through Given to Live; gifted me, my son Joshua and my husband Josh the most amazing memories any Pearl Jam fan could ever ask for. As corny as it sounds, my heart still feels like I can burst any time I think about it.

I’m still trying to process this, we’re heartbroken. These lyrics really hit home today. 

And wherever you've gone
    And wherever we might go
    It don't seem fair
    Today just disappeared
    Your lights reflected now
    Reflected from a far
    We were but stones
    Your light made us stars

Thank you Tom. Rest in peace.

Love, The Swansons. 

Beautiful