Options

Billie Eilish criticize artists releasing several vinyl variants

124»

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,947
    Oh, that Billie Eilish. She's such a phony baloney.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    A bit absurd. Fans buy vinyl and keep them for decades, they don’t end up in landfills or getting burned for a long time.

now…converting a traditional tour where 4 musicians and their staff travel the country and instead 200,000 fans travel on planes to a single location. Also  water, food and all sustenance  needs to be trucked into the middle of a desert. That’s an enormous and immediate negative carbon footprint.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,372
    demetrios said:
    Oh, that Billie Eilish. She's such a phony baloney.
    Meryl Streep approves of this post.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    A bit absurd. Fans buy vinyl and keep them for decades, they don’t end up in landfills or getting burned for a long time.

now…converting a traditional tour where 4 musicians and their staff travel the country and instead 200,000 fans travel on planes to a single location. Also  water, food and all sustenance  needs to be trucked into the middle of a desert. That’s an enormous and immediate negative carbon footprint.
    The issue is more at the point of manufacturing. If these things of marginal utility (i.e., color variants, or four separate versions differing only by one track) are not created, then no resources are used to make them (and there's no need to eventually dispose of them).

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,852
    Me: "will you want these records after I die?"
    Kid:"ehhh [not wanting to hurt my feelings] ehhhhhhhhhh.....uhhhh no...maybe a couple..."
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Loujoe said:
    Me: "will you want these records after I die?"
    Kid:"ehhh [not wanting to hurt my feelings] ehhhhhhhhhh.....uhhhh no...maybe a couple..."
    "Cool, then sell this one, its an RSD Regional Variant, there were only like 1500 made. Its worth a ton!"
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    MS149515MS149515 Chicago Posts: 178
    Like a lemming, I bought all the recent variants the past few years; No Code, LO2L, Vs., Yield and now pre-ordered the Dark Matter Trio on 10C and was going to get the RSD version. The announcement of the 12 indie variants really annoyed me because it’s blatant consumerism and it’s making me rethink all the money that I’ve pumped into March the past decade. Trimming down looks like a good approach now, and it looks ridiculous when you have 4 versions of the same music sitting together on the shelf. As another poster wrote, your relatives (probably) won’t care when you’re gone. 

Also, there is no single greater cause of pollution than a human being but no one wants to acknowledge the obvious truth. Anyone pumping out more two kids is only contributing to planetary harm. If you disagree with me, start drawing a family tree and add an extra descendant in each pairing and see how quick it expands. Then factor in that there is only 1 Earth, and a lot of it isn’t habitable. If you’re reading this, you don’t live in a society where infant mortality is a threat to continued existence, simplification is the key but we don’t want to go down that path. I don’t think we should live in a hippie commune, but our innate “me, me, me” attitude has taken society to a point where all we do is bicker because we don’t want to concede anything. 

“But I want a big family!!!!!!!!” Go adopt or foster, stop being selfish and help out another kid that needs it. Your DNA is not that important and the vast majority of us won’t be remembered after two generations. 

Barf. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,852
    I remind myself that it is helping local shops. Pretty cool move imo. May be nieave (sp) but I like to keep things light. Dig?
  • Options
    silvosilvo Posts: 290
    Whilst agreeing with a lot of things said previously, isn't there another angle here? We are all aware that streaming, etc. has made it more difficult for artists to earn money from music sales alone, so doesn't the multiple variants/increased merch lean towards a way of making more money from the art to those willing to buy physical product? If the streaming royalties issue was dealt with and artists paid better from this, then could this reduce the need to manufacture and sell multiple versions of the same thing?? Perhaps that ship has sailed, however surely it is part of the debate!
  • Options
    MS149515 said:
    Like a lemming, I bought all the recent variants the past few years; No Code, LO2L, Vs., Yield and now pre-ordered the Dark Matter Trio on 10C and was going to get the RSD version. The announcement of the 12 indie variants really annoyed me because it’s blatant consumerism and it’s making me rethink all the money that I’ve pumped into March the past decade. Trimming down looks like a good approach now, and it looks ridiculous when you have 4 versions of the same music sitting together on the shelf. As another poster wrote, your relatives (probably) won’t care when you’re gone. 

Also, there is no single greater cause of pollution than a human being but no one wants to acknowledge the obvious truth. Anyone pumping out more two kids is only contributing to planetary harm. If you disagree with me, start drawing a family tree and add an extra descendant in each pairing and see how quick it expands. Then factor in that there is only 1 Earth, and a lot of it isn’t habitable. If you’re reading this, you don’t live in a society where infant mortality is a threat to continued existence, simplification is the key but we don’t want to go down that path. I don’t think we should live in a hippie commune, but our innate “me, me, me” attitude has taken society to a point where all we do is bicker because we don’t want to concede anything. 

“But I want a big family!!!!!!!!” Go adopt or foster, stop being selfish and help out another kid that needs it. Your DNA is not that important and the vast majority of us won’t be remembered after two generations. 

Barf. 
    People may be selfish, but it doesn't really manifest itself through breeding anymore. The birth rate in the U.S. has been in steep decline for a while, and the average American woman today has half as many children as in 1950, and has children at a rate below the replacement rate to maintain a stable population. This is why we need immigrants. Otherwise, we'll end up with a really old population and economic stagnation.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    edited April 2
    BF25394 said:
    MS149515 said:

Barf. 
    People may be selfish, but it doesn't really manifest itself through breeding anymore. The birth rate in the U.S. has been in steep decline for a while, and the average American woman today has half as many children as in 1950, and has children at a rate below the replacement rate to maintain a stable population. This is why we need immigrants. Otherwise, we'll end up with a really old population and economic stagnation.
    This is also why conservatives want to ban abortion and birth control.

But back on track, nobody needs 12 variants. Undoubtedly, a small few will try to collect them all. But its small. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    tschav said:

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    demetrios said:
    tschav said:

Sheesh!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Worth noting she just announced her new album and theres a ton of variants. And being fair, some are "eco-vinyl" but several are not.

• Options
    EH14457EH14457 Orlando, FL Posts: 237
    Worth noting she just announced her new album and theres a ton of variants. And being fair, some are "eco-vinyl" but several are not.

Also, if you want a signed insert in the UK, you must buy a bundle that includes at least 3 variants of the album. 😂

https://shopuk.billieeilish.com/search?q=signed

10/7/96 (FL), 9/22/98 (FL), 9/23/98 (FL), 8/9/00 (FL), 8/10/00 (FL), 8/12/00 (FL), 4/11/03 (FL), 4/12/03 (FL), 4/13/03 (FL), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 7/12/03 (PA), 7/14/03 (NJ), 10/8/04 (FL), 8/5/07 (IL), 11/27/12 (FL), 12/6/13 (WA), 4/8/16 (FL), 4/9/16 (FL), 4/11/16 (FL), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 8/8/18 (WA), 8/10/18 (WA), 9/25/21 (CA), 9/26/21 (CA), 5/3/22 (CA), 5/12/22 (CA), 5/13/22 (CA), 9/18/23 (TX), 9/19/23 (TX), 10/23/23 (WA), 10/24/23 (WA)

• Options
    EH14457 said:

Also, if you want a signed insert in the UK, you must buy a bundle that includes at least 3 variants of the album. 😂

They also have for $127.99 US, 4 vinyl editions and a signed insert. 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    Maybe we should take it easy on Billie. I heard that she was born at a very young age.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    How the Turntables Meme Generator - Imgflip
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    EH14457 said:

I am shocked to hear it was all signaling over action
  • Options
    Eilish: I can’t even express to you how wasteful it is. It is right in front of our faces and people are just getting away with it left and right, and I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable — and then it’s some of the biggest artists in the world making f–king 40 different vinyl packages that have a different unique thing just to get you to keep buying more. It’s so wasteful, and it’s irritating to me that we’re still at a point where you care that much about your numbers and you care that much about making money — and it’s all your favorite artists doing that sh-t.
    I mean this is just a work of art

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667
    Consider not eating meat and driving less if you’re worried about your impact on the planet. 
  • Options
    Consider not eating meat and driving less if you’re worried about your impact on the planet. 
    Why not do these things and also try not to encourage the production of fossil-fuel-based plastics? Do you even know if Billie Eilish eats meat or drives?
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Why not do these things and also try not to encourage the production of fossil-fuel-based plastics? Do you even know if Billie Eilish eats meat or drives?
    The way this is going she probably has an Escalade with four turntables and a bbq spit in the back
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667
    BF25394 said:
    I have no issue with people reducing consumption and impact on the planet. The problem arises in the finger pointing and judgment when we’re ignoring where the larger impacts can be made. With plastic, the majority of that waste is coming from packaging and single use containers for food. For individual people in industrialized countries, not having a car and not eating meat has a bigger impact than buying fewer LPs. Ultimately, we all consume and we can look at our individual level of it and figure out how to lessen the effects of it on the planet. At the same time the discussion needs to recognize that we also like things, that we feel an emotional attachment to them, and our current economy is dependent on consumption. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,260
    I mean, I have felt guilty about record collecting, and that it's not great for the environment.  Especially when you can listen to pretty high quality digital audio and not create waste associated with making a physical product.

I'm not sure I ever buy the our thing makes less pollution than other things so it doesn't matter argument.   I hear this in Canada all the time.  We're a small country, we make 1% of the worlds pollution.  Anything we do has no impact, so we should pass the buck.

I don't really agree with that argument.  People who listen to digital music make less pollution in regards to their music habits than people who listen to vinyl :)

• Options
    Zod said:
    I mean, I have felt guilty about record collecting, and that it's not great for the environment.  Especially when you can listen to pretty high quality digital audio and not create waste associated with making a physical product.

I'm not sure I ever buy the our thing makes less pollution than other things so it doesn't matter argument.   I hear this in Canada all the time.  We're a small country, we make 1% of the worlds pollution.  Anything we do has no impact, so we should pass the buck.

I don't really agree with that argument.  People who listen to digital music make less pollution in regards to their music habits than people who listen to vinyl :)

I think the issue is less about vinyl per se than it is about encouraging people to buy multiple copies of vinyl variants that don't have any intrinsic value other than an aesthetic one. A vinyl record has an intrinsic value as a means of playing recorded music for entertainment and enjoyment for those who prefer that format, but a second vinyl record that differs only in color doesn't add anything to the overall intrinsic value of the pair (in terms of their primary purpose).