Options

Billie Eilish criticize artists releasing several vinyl variants

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,099
edited March 31 in The Porch
Obviously Pearl Jam related with them lemmeling along with the practice. And Pearl Jam fans fuelling the problem: 

You’re working to make vinyl more sustainable. Happier Than Ever came in eight vinyl variants, but you use 100% recycled black vinyl — plus recycled scraps for colored variants — and shrink-wrap made from sugar cane.

Eilish: We live in this day and age where, for some reason, it’s very important to some artists to make all sorts of different vinyl and packaging … which ups the sales and ups the numbers and gets them more money and gets them more…

Baird: Well, it counts toward No. 1 albums.

Eilish: I can’t even express to you how wasteful it is. It is right in front of our faces and people are just getting away with it left and right, and I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable — and then it’s some of the biggest artists in the world making f–king 40 different vinyl packages that have a different unique thing just to get you to keep buying more. It’s so wasteful, and it’s irritating to me that we’re still at a point where you care that much about your numbers and you care that much about making money — and it’s all your favorite artists doing that sh-t.

Baird: But to be fair, the problem is systemic, right? Because if Billboard, to be honest, is going to not have limits… I would love to see limits, like no more than four colors. Or some kind of rules, because you can’t fault an artist for playing the No. 1 game.

Eilish: I was watching The Hunger Games and it made me think about it, because it’s like, we’re all going to do it because [it’s] the only way to play the game. It’s just accentuating this already kind of messed up way of this industry working.

/.../

Eilish: It’s a never-ending f–king fight. As we all know, it’s pretty impossible to force someone to care. All you can do is express and explain your beliefs, but a lot of people don’t really understand the severity of the climate [crisis]. And if they do, they’re like, “Well, what’s the point? We’re all going to die anyway.” Believe me, I feel that way too. But “what’s the point” goes both ways: “What’s the point? I can do whatever I want. We’re all going to die anyway.” Or, “What’s the point? I might as well do the right thing while I’m here.” That’s my view.

A bunch more about being an artist in a sustainable way in her interview with Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/billie-eilish-sustainability-eco-friendly-initiatives-mom-1235642455/

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    edited March 31
    Meanwhile her latest album is available in 8 different colors on her web store…. Regardless of how she’s Recycling this or that, she’s doing the same thing as the others lol

I really enjoyed her first album but she’s slowly becoming insufferable at times tbh
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    If they think they are gonna sell 100,000 copies, who cares how many variants they press? I’d argue that few people in most fanbases chase every single variant and that the additional copies sold is marginal.
  • Options
    Now, unless your argument is existing  is environmentally unsustainable, then fine.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,456
    edited March 31
    What does “lemmeling” mean?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    Yes it's the different colors making the environmental impact and not sourcing materials, shipping materials, the plants, the trucks delivering them to stores and peoples' homes, etc 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    What does “lemmeling” mean?
    I assume they’re saying PJ are lemmings because other popular acts are doing it too. 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    Takin' a drive, I was an ideal
    Looked so alive, turns out I'm not real
    Just something you paid for
    What was I made for?
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 103
    So will you be polluting Sweden with the unfair tri-color vinyl?  Or did Sweden survive because the variant is not pretty enough for you? 
  • Options
    If they can guarantee recycled vinyl can sound as good as virgin, then fine I’m onboard. There’s already enough risks to take when buying vinyl I don’t need another one in the mix. 

I mean, in a way she’s right, it is wasteful and irresponsible, but on the list of wasteful and irresponsible things we do to the environment, vinyl record production is way low on the list. Good for her for speaking out and taking a stand. I feel like there’s more impactful stuff she could be doing, but this is something.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,692
    you called it disgusting if I remember correctly, good thing you got Billie to agree with you. What  does Billie Idol think? We all want to know. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    ^It's a nice day to...start again
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited March 31
    My immediate thought was how 12 vinyls is wasteful and just more trash.  People will try to get all 12 so it isn’t like 100 people want to buy 1 vinyl and they end up with different colors.  80 of them will buy 12 if they can. 

In the grand scheme of things though, it is a less than a drop in the bucket.
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    bork bork bork

Swedish Chef - Wikipedia

• Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 103
    you called it disgusting if I remember correctly, good thing you got Billie to agree with you. What  does Billie Idol think? We all want to know. 
    One of his quotes was "Of course, Pearl Jam would go down this icky-icky path"

Then he took about 7 breaths, and whined that the Euro vinyl is not pretty enough.  He probably bought 2 copies. 
  • Options
    TK46426TK46426 Posts: 29
    If a band comes out with a new album and have a plant make 50,000 copies black or 50,000 in 12 different colors what’s the difference? 
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    To paraphrase Ian Mackaye: “At least [she’s] fucking trying!”

She’s not wrong.  It’s a valid question I’ve wrestled with - as someone who is taking three flights to see bands this year and who has purchased several new records.  If plastic consumption is at an all time high and recycling of plastic has turned out to be a big fat lie promoted by the oil companies, and the reusable plastics market desperately needs viable products, IS it ethically defensible anymore to release multiple record variants if it’s true that it contributes to a known problem?  Is it defensible to buy them?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Meanwhile her latest album is available in 8 different colors on her web store…. Regardless of how she’s Recycling this or that, she’s doing the same thing as the others lol

I really enjoyed her first album but she’s slowly becoming insufferable at times tbh
    She is awesome.
    We are fans of Pearl Jam....and is there someone who fits the mold of what you are describing better than EV?  :lol:     
    I still live the band but they have been making insufferable cool since the 90s

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,646
    Know what else about what I like about this young artist? When I went to her show, she let water bottles inside. She would rather risk someone whipping one up on stage then have a million people drinking plastic water.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    Shout out to everyone who is convinced they're harming the environment but aren't going to do anything differently but want to make sure people know they're wrestling with it
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Shout out to children masquerading as adults collecting 12 different colors of their favorite toy.
  • Options
    Shout out to cynicism.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    Shout out to children masquerading as adults collecting 12 different colors of their favorite toy.
    Cynicism or not, this is hilarious. And true. 
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited March 31
    To be fair PJ fans collect a bunch of shit… sell now your kids and regular society doesn’t give a shit about it, I did and put my down payment on a house. Way worth it than staring at something that will eventually be thrown away when I die 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    I’m curious what’s worse buying 12 variants or traveling to a couple different shows
  • Options
    Honestly, I land on just let people enjoy stuff and do your best to make things better where you can. 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 587
    To be fair PJ fans collect a bunch of shit… sell now your kids and regular society doesn’t give a shit about it, I did and put my down payment on a house. Way worth it than staring at something that will eventually be thrown away when I die 
    Your house will eventually be thrown away
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Your house will eventually be thrown away
    This made me laugh out loud.
    We will all eventually be thrown away.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    I thought the new logo had a familiar color scheme and then I realized I walk past it almost
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    What a fucking loser. I can’t stand her.  Im pretty sure stopping some extra colored variant records from being produced is not going to save the environment 🤦🏼
  • Options
    Yikes