Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Hey maybe we need walls to protect us from the terrorist that are already here like the Maine dude shooting everyone up? 
    I would be more concerned with immigrants.  
    Off course you would specially since all they do is outwork American at every menial job you can name! That’s a fact but you just keep on being scared of the men/women with brown skins 
    Sorry, I'm missing your point here.  Scared?  I'm not scared of illegal immigrants.  They just shouldn't be here.  It is illegal.  Do you have sources for your facts?  So, is your point that you believe I am scared of illegals because they are brown and work hard?  For the record, no illegal will ever outwork me.  
    Yes I do have facts I see it every day here on Long Island! Tell me who waits on your table when you go out to eat who cuts the lawns who cuts the trees who makes your pizza who works construction sites who cleans the houses on& on and on! Immigrants are doing all the jobs that Americans no longer care to do, immigrants are not going anywhere they are here to stay get used to it! 
    I’ve lived in areas where immigrants (not necessarily illegal though) do much of those jobs. Not where I currently live though. But I don’t think Ives lived anywhere where they were the majority of the wait staff.
    How did you know they were immigrants? Did you strike up a conversation?
    Many times, yes.
    But why didn’t you ask Jose, he’s the one that brought it up?
    But you’ve hired someone to clean your house, mow your lawn, take your order, and never spoke to them?
    I speak to immigrants all the time the man who delivered this wood this weekend is an immigrant I spoke to him extensively about his life here in America! Hard working law abiding man works all week multiple jobs from
    lands tree work construction! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited October 2023
    When having these conversations w/ immigrants, how do people know who is & isn't legal? 

Honor system? Do you check papers? 

How does one determine whether or not the person they are speaking w/ is "filthy"? 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Hey maybe we need walls to protect us from the terrorist that are already here like the Maine dude shooting everyone up? 
    Off course you would specially since all they do is outwork American at every menial job you can name! That’s a fact but you just keep on being scared of the men/women with brown skins 
    Sorry, I'm missing your point here.  Scared?  I'm not scared of illegal immigrants.  They just shouldn't be here.  It is illegal.  Do you have sources for your facts?  So, is your point that you believe I am scared of illegals because they are brown and work hard?  For the record, no illegal will ever outwork me.  

Hers a FACT. It DOES NOT matter how someone crossed if they claim Asylum. Period. If they claim asylum then they are in fact in the legal process.
    Suggest a little cruise thought he U.S. State Dept website.
    Oh side note, "illegals" wouldn't be here if business didn't exploit their labor.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Yes I do have facts I see it every day here on Long Island! Tell me who waits on your table when you go out to eat who cuts the lawns who cuts the trees who makes your pizza who works construction sites who cleans the houses on& on and on! Immigrants are doing all the jobs that Americans no longer care to do, immigrants are not going anywhere they are here to stay get used to it! 
    I’ve lived in areas where immigrants (not necessarily illegal though) do much of those jobs. Not where I currently live though. But I don’t think Ives lived anywhere where they were the majority of the wait staff.
    Many times, yes.
    But you’ve hired someone to clean your house, mow your lawn, take your order, and never spoke to them?
    I speak to immigrants all the time the man who delivered this wood this weekend is an immigrant I spoke to him extensively about his life here in America! Hard working law abiding man works all week multiple jobs from
    lands tree work construction! 
    I agree. I don't know why anyone would think it's hard to tell. If I'm interacting with someone and they have a southern accent here in the south, I'm pretty sure they themselves aren't immigrants. If they do have an accent, it's not uncommon to ask where they are from, how they like it here, etc. Especially if I just hired them to do yard work or clean the house or deliver firewood.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Many times, yes.
    Never hired anyone to mow our lawn when we didn't live in an apartment, never hired anyone to clean any apartment or rental home etc...Would be nice to have that kind of dough though.   As far as ordering food at a restaurant it is usually a thing like hey great service or how are you doing, some small talk, not where are you from are you an immigrant?

At jobs I've worked at with people that looked different than me I never inquired about anyone's immigration or citizenship status, never really mattered, and really not a question I think it is my business to ask.

Jose, to be fair since mace asked why I didn't ask you. how do you know the people doing those jobs are immigrants? They could well be citizens. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options

America's going to elect a fascist next year based on this issue alone. 
    I was told that we are going to elect a fascist because dems sympathize with Palestinians in Gaza  that are currently being steam rolled in a way Putin could only dream of doing to Ukraine, by one of the most advanced militaries in the world.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Many times, yes.
    Never hired anyone to mow our lawn when we didn't live in an apartment, never hired anyone to clean any apartment or rental home etc...Would be nice to have that kind of dough though.   As far as ordering food at a restaurant it is usually a thing like hey great service or how are you doing, some small talk, not where are you from are you an immigrant?

At jobs I've worked at with people that looked different than me I never inquired about anyone's immigration or citizenship status, never really mattered, and really not a question I think it is my business to ask.

Jose, to be fair since mace asked why I didn't ask you. how do you know the people doing those jobs are immigrants? They could well be citizens. 
    I've never paid anyone to mow my lawn either. But when we sold our house I hired some people to do basic landscaping for pictures and showings. Was well worth the investment.
    But when my wife was working full time, we'd have someone clean the house once a month. Just couldn't keep up with both of us working.

You really don't know how someone can spot an immigrant? It really isn't that hard. You can hear accents very easily. You can't tell the difference from a native speaker and someone who was raised in Eastern Europe? You never been to an Asian restaurant and been able to hear the difference between the way the children speak who were raised here and the parents who were the ones who immigrated? It's not a flawless system, but I bet I am right far more often than I am wrong when just communicating with people.
    And, like Jose said, you're never friendly with strangers? You don't hear an accent on a waiter and ask him where he's from, what brought him here, what he likes? I do that all the time.
    Now, if I'm in the south and I hear a southern drawl, or in Minnesota and I hear that mid-west accent, I'm not going to ask if they're from around here. That's kinda easy to tell too. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    static111 said:

America's going to elect a fascist next year based on this issue alone. 
    I was told that we are going to elect a fascist because dems sympathize with Palestinians in Gaza  that are currently being steam rolled in a way Putin could only dream of doing to Ukraine, by one of the most advanced militaries in the world.
    My statement is based on what I'm hearing and seeing in my day to day life... the amount of conversations that have steered towards 'illegal's' out of nowhere in recent months is increasing. & I get it, if I consumed right wing news non stop, it's probably all I would talk about too.  
    If the hatred and animosity wasn't so palpable it would be funny, because these are the same people who complain that no one wants to work anymore. Meanwhile, most immigrants I've ever worked with (whether documented or not) outwork pretty much every American on the job. (and I've worked with a LOT of immigrants over the years, mostly Irish and Brazilian) 
    The union for our plant workers has a rule where if the outside temperature hits 92 degrees, they can go home for the rest of the day. Pretty much 100% of the Americans bail on the remainder of the day and most if not all the Cape Verdeans stay and finish the day. Weird, huh? 

To the people who support legal immigrants, but hate illegals... how can you tell who's who?

How do you decide who to hate? 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Many times, yes.

I always open up conversations by telling them how I came here as an immigrant back in 71 I couldn’t get resident status till around 85 after that I became a citizen! I always ask them where they came from and usually I get around to asking what it took to get them to where they are now, very general though not to be prying plus I speak Spanish so it’s just a comfort thing. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    ironically we're the only species on the planet that isn't allowed to go wherever the hell we want. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ironically we're the only species on the planet that isn't allowed to go wherever the hell we want. 
    I’d say many animals are more territorial than humans and would kill faster for being in their land.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    I’d say many animals are more territorial than humans and would kill faster for being in their land.
    there ain't no deer checkin' a lion's papers at the edge of the meadow. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mace1229 said:
    there ain't no deer checkin' a lion's papers at the edge of the meadow. 
    I get what you're saying, but animals are mostly geographically and climate land locked. Where they aren't, there are certain territories species will exclusively live based on access to food, water and risk of predators. These animalistic territorial practices seem to be something humans have mostly retained, good or bad, through evolution as well. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Many times, yes.

I've never paid anyone to mow my lawn either. But when we sold our house I hired some people to do basic landscaping for pictures and showings. Was well worth the investment.
    But when my wife was working full time, we'd have someone clean the house once a month. Just couldn't keep up with both of us working.

You really don't know how someone can spot an immigrant? It really isn't that hard. You can hear accents very easily. You can't tell the difference from a native speaker and someone who was raised in Eastern Europe? You never been to an Asian restaurant and been able to hear the difference between the way the children speak who were raised here and the parents who were the ones who immigrated? It's not a flawless system, but I bet I am right far more often than I am wrong when just communicating with people.
    And, like Jose said, you're never friendly with strangers? You don't hear an accent on a waiter and ask him where he's from, what brought him here, what he likes? I do that all the time.
    Now, if I'm in the south and I hear a southern drawl, or in Minnesota and I hear that mid-west accent, I'm not going to ask if they're from around here. That's kinda easy to tell too. 
    Yes of course I make small talk, but I rarely bring up where a person is from unless they bring it up then I will continue.  If someone has an accent I will talk to them about whatever.  As a side note, I am like Larry David when it comes to small talk, I hate it.  So to me it is odd to just make a conversation with strangers that leads to questions of their place of birth how they came here etc.  If anything it will be more of, got any plans for the weekend, do you like sports what are your hobbies etc?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    I like how this devolved into if someone has an accent they're an immigrant which basically means we're mostly talking about non-white people unless a lot of you are wondering whether the neighbor from Canada, Sweden, Norway, etc. are immigrants. I know a lot of people who have an accent or primarily speak another language who were born in the US, but because their nuclear family still carried the cultural traditions and spoke the native language in their homes and community, they could be assumed to be immigrants based on some of the assessments I'm reading in here. It usually takes at least 2 generations for that to change and for people to not have an accent/language difference. I just can't believe it's something people even wonder when they meet or talk to someone. Can't say I've ever wondered if someone is a legal immigrant. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I like how this devolved into if someone has an accent they're an immigrant which basically means we're mostly talking about non-white people unless a lot of you are wondering whether the neighbor from Canada, Sweden, Norway, etc. are immigrants. I know a lot of people who have an accent or primarily speak another language who were born in the US, but because their nuclear family still carried the cultural traditions and spoke the native language in their homes and community, they could be assumed to be immigrants based on some of the assessments I'm reading in here. It usually takes at least 2 generations for that to change and for people to not have an accent/language difference. I just can't believe it's something people even wonder when they meet or talk to someone. Can't say I've ever wondered if someone is a legal immigrant. 
    That was my point in asking how does one know if someone is an immigrant...
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    That was my point in asking how does one know if someone is an immigrant...
    Smell, according to some.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    You can tell which part of the country people are from by their accent. We’re going to pretend those who were born here and those who weren’t have the same accent?
    Even English speaking countries, you know when someone is from England, Ireland, etc. Why are we pretending this isn’t a thing?
    Those who were born and raised in Mexico, South America, Korea, Ukraine and anywhere else then move here will have a thicker accent than their children who were born and raised here. Even if they speak another language at home, children born here have a very mild accent, if any. Those who were raised somewhere else and moved here as an adult have a different accent. It’s not a bad thing. But it’s true most of the time.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    You can tell which part of the country people are from by their accent. We’re going to pretend those who were born here and those who weren’t have the same accent?
    Even English speaking countries, you know when someone is from England, Ireland, etc. Why are we pretending this isn’t a thing?
    Those who were born and raised in Mexico, South America, Korea, Ukraine and anywhere else then move here will have a thicker accent than their children who were born and raised here. Even if they speak another language at home, children born here have a very mild accent, if any. Those who were raised somewhere else and moved here as an adult have a different accent. It’s not a bad thing. But it’s true most of the time.
    My point was, why does it matter? It seems like a weird perspective to have when meeting people and is more or less a stereotype used to categorize people when it shouldn't matter to begin with unless you're genuinely interested in their cultural background/upbringing. It's a different frame of mind that I don't identify with and while I don't think there's anything wrong with being interested in someone's background, I would find it odd to assume immigration status based on how they talk. I don't think it's an effective way of evaluating how often you encounter "immigrants" and the comment about knowing based on the thickness of accent seems more like a typical American response rooted in confirmation bias (not that it doesn't happen in other countries, but we really have our own special way of thinking we can tell the good ones from the "filthy" ones).
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    My point was, why does it matter? It seems like a weird perspective to have when meeting people and is more or less a stereotype used to categorize people when it shouldn't matter to begin with unless you're genuinely interested in their cultural background/upbringing. It's a different frame of mind that I don't identify with and while I don't think there's anything wrong with being interested in someone's background, I would find it odd to assume immigration status based on how they talk. I don't think it's an effective way of evaluating how often you encounter "immigrants" and the comment about knowing based on the thickness of accent seems more like a typical American response rooted in confirmation bias (not that it doesn't happen in other countries, but we really have our own special way of thinking we can tell the good ones from the "filthy" ones).
    Agreed. My parents came here in the 60s and their accents are as strong as ever.

Fun fact: I was born and raised in Eastern MA and have been asked what part of Ireland I'm from more times than I can recall (in fairness, they were probably just trying to ascertain my level of filth) 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    It's not mentally categorizing people as immigrants. It's just observations. 
    You're telling me the first time you saw and heard Melania Trump you didn't ask yourself "Oh, I wonder where she's from?" I doubt that is an unusual thought, with a fair amount of confidence she wasn't born in the USA..
    And to be clear, I never said anything about good ones or otherwise based on accent. 
    And I do strike up conversations with waiters often if their accent doesn't fit the environment. What I mean by that, is if I go to a Mexican restaurant that seems family run, I'm not going to be surprised to hear hispanic accents and hear them speaking in Spanish in the back, I might not last them about it. But if I go to a local American restaurant in a small town that's not even on a map and our waiter has a thick German accent and no one else does, I might ask him about it.I remember taking our trip to Mt Rushmore and some small towns about an hour away. I've met several that live there for a few months of the year when it's busy in the summer and work the same restaurants each year, then fly back home for the rest of the year. I can't recall ever asking someone like that which country they are from and they answer "South Dakota."
    No one was surprised to learn Melania, or Arnold Schwarzennager (spelling?) or Elon Musk was not born here. You can't tell me accents aren't a clue to your origins. Sure, not always 100% accurate.