Options

BIDEN, afraid of losing the election, SAYS "BUILD THE WALL!"

sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
WashingtonCNN — 

The Biden administration will waive 26 laws to build additional border barriers in the Rio Grande Valley, according to a notice posted to the Federal Register Wednesday, citing “high illegal entry.”

Construction of the wall will be paid for using already appropriated funds earmarked specifically for physical border barriers, and the administration was under a deadline to use them. But the move comes at a time when a new surge of migrants is straining federal and local resources and placing heavy political pressure on the Biden administration to address a sprawling crisis.

Border Patrol reported nearly 300,000 encounters in the Rio Grande Valley sector between last October and August, according to federal data. Last month, Border Patrol apprehended more than 200,000 migrants crossing the US-Mexico border, the highest total this year.

President Joe Biden – who, as a candidate, vowed that there will “not be another foot” of border wall constructed on his watch – has been plagued by issues on the border since his first months in office, when the US faced a surge of unaccompanied migrant children that caught officials flatfooted. Over the last two years, his administration has continued to face fierce pushback from Republicans – and at times, Democrats – over his immigration policies.

But a new surge of migrants has placed additional pressure on federal resources and tested Biden’s latest border policies only months after going into place, prompting fresh criticism from Republicans and concern within the administration over a politically delicate issue.

Migration along the southern border has been a relentless focus of the Republican presidential primary field and conservative media, and leading Democrats, including the mayors of New York and Chicago, have begun publicly demanding stronger efforts by the federal government to provide resources to accommodate arrivals.

Spending existing funds

The Department of Homeland Security had concluded “it is necessary to waive certain laws, regulations, and other legal requirements in order to ensure the expeditious construction of barriers and roads” in Starr County, Texas, along the US border with Mexico, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in the filing posted in the US Federal Registry.

“There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas,” Mayorkas said in the notice.

Construction of the wall will be paid for through a 2019 appropriations bill that funneled money specifically to a “border barrier” in the Rio Grande Valley, and according to Mayorkas, “DHS is required to use those funds for their appropriated purpose.” The funds needed to be spent by the end of fiscal year 2023, prompting the administration to choose to move forward this year with construction in south Texas, according to a source familiar.

US Customs and Border Protection had previously announced plans to design and construct up to 20 miles of new border barrier systems in Starr County, including light poles and lighting, gates, cameras and access roads, among other systems. CBP sought public input between August and September, according to the agency.

Among the laws the Biden administration is bypassing to build the wall are several of the same statutes the administration has in the past moved to protect, including: the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act.

A CBP spokesperson said the agency “remains committed to protecting the nation’s cultural and natural resources” while implementing “sound environmental practices” to build the border barriers.

Engagement with Mexico

Migrant crossings at the US-Mexico border are expected to remain high in the near term, a senior US Customs and Border Protection official recently told CNN, though additional commitments from Mexico are expected to help eventually drive down numbers.

This week, Mayorkas, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Attorney General Merrick Garland and White House Homeland Security adviser Dr. Liz Sherwood-Randall will meet with their Mexican counterparts in Mexico City for annual security talks.

Migration is expected to be a topic of discussion. Senior administration officials maintain that the US has been in regular touch with Mexico over the situation at the US southern border, including commitments to shore up enforcement.

This story has been updated with additional information.

CNN’s Jack Forrest contributed to this report.

Comments

• Options
    LMFAO!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Wait, I thought the former president built a massive wall, as promised during his campaign?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    is mexico paying for it, or are you paying for it?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    LETH GO BARNDENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    ok MAGA posters, so apparently that money was appropriated for the border wall. biden tried to have them redirect the money to something else and they didn't. by law, that money has to be used for what it was appropriated for, so it has to go to the border wall. biden is not capitulating on the wall, they are following the law and using the money on what it was appropriated for.

LETH GO BARNDON!!

• Options
    Wait, I thought the former president built a massive wall, as promised during his campaign?

President Joe Biden – who, as a candidate, vowed that there will “not be another foot” of border wall constructed on his watch 

• Options

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    shecky said:

President Joe Biden – who, as a candidate, vowed that there will “not be another foot” of border wall constructed on his watch 

Wait, politicians lie?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

• Options

biden does not think the wall will work, genius. he has said it on several occasions.

know why?

BECAUSE WALLS DO NOT WORK!!

look at that porous ass "wall" your boy built.

• Options
    shecky said:

until he realized that the appropriated money has to be spent on what it was appropriated for.

trump got impeached the first time for trying to do otherwise. he tried to withhold appropriated money for ukraine in exchage for them opening an investigation on joe and hunter biden. remember that one?

• Options
    Published October 5, 2023 11:57am EDT

Department of Homeland Secruity (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas stated in a notice that there was an "acute and immediate need" to waive dozens of federal laws to build a border wall in south Texas where illegal migration has surged. 

"There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas pursuant to sections 102(a) and 102(b) of [the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996]," Mayorkas said.

The administration had put a halt to new border wall construction in early 2021, after Biden had promised as a presidential candidate that there would "not be another foot of wall constructed [in] my administration." 

The administration said wall construction under the Trump administration was "just one example of the prior administration’s misplaced priorities and failure to manage migration in a safe, orderly and humane way."

Political commentators and media figures called out the Biden administration for its heel turn.

"Remarkable," Trending Politics co-owner Collin Rugg wrote. "4 years ago this was 'racist.' Now they’re advocating for it."

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    ok MAGA posters, so apparently that money was appropriated for the border wall. biden tried to have them redirect the money to something else and they didn't. by law, that money has to be used for what it was appropriated for, so it has to go to the border wall. biden is not capitulating on the wall, they are following the law and using the money on what it was appropriated for.

LETH GO BARNDON!!

The few MAGA here probably won't believe you.  They probably won't believe Reuters either but, what the hell, here it is:

WASHINGTON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said on Thursday he can't stop federal funds from being used to build sections of a U.S.-Mexico border wall after Congress appropriated the money, adding that he still does not think such a barrier works.

Biden said he tried to get Congress to reallocate the funds for the barriers touted by his predecessor but that he could not by law redirect the money.

"I can’t stop that," he said. Asked if a border wall works, he told reporters, "No."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    LOL...maga really thought they had something. They'll go off ad nauseum about how he caved and ignore the facts as usual.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Well, Biden better give his DHS Secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas, a phone call because Mayorkas' statement today was that he DOES want to build the wall. He did NOT say that walls don't work and that he wants to stop their construction.
    And he certainly didn't say that they were being forced to build them, against their will.
    TODAY, Mayorkas CLEARLY stated the opposite on the the U.S. Federal Register :

"Department of Homeland Secruity (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas stated in a notice that there was an "acute and immediate need" to waive dozens of federal laws to build a border wall in south Texas where illegal migration has surged.
    There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas pursuant to sections 102(a) and 102(b) of [the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996]".
  • Options
    shecky said:
    Well, Biden better give his DHS Secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas, a phone call because Mayorkas' statement today was that he DOES want to build the wall. He did NOT say that walls don't work and that he wants to stop their construction.
    And he certainly didn't say that they were being forced to build them, against their will.

"Department of Homeland Secruity (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas stated in a notice that there was an "acute and immediate need" to waive dozens of federal laws to build a border wall in south Texas where illegal migration has surged.
    There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas pursuant to sections 102(a) and 102(b) of [the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996]".

There are too many disconnects in your statement and your quote isn't linked.  I know, those coffee breaks are just too short, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    edited October 2023
    LMFAO!

Keep laughing bro. When Biden does something you like, same response?

Earlier sent  you a pic of hundreds (hyperbole) of Central Americans climbing over your beloved wall. Because it works! 

LAYESOED.
  • Options
    LMFAO!

Earlier sent  you a pic of hundreds (hyperbole) of Central Americans climbing over your beloved wall. Because it works! 

LAYESOED.

Sorry, L, but help me here... LAYESOED?  I can't even find that by Googling "LAYESOED acronym", haha!

I don't understand why anyone would align themself with 45.  His legacy will be one of shame and foolishness and his backers will find one day that their heirs are embarrassed at the thought that their parents, grandparents. great grandparents, etc. supported that fool.

• Options
    This has to get the tree huggers thong in a pinch. LoL the left!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    brianlux said:
    shecky said:

There are too many disconnects in your statement and your quote isn't linked.  I know, those coffee breaks are just too short, right?
    The Mayorkas quote was already linked earlier in this thread.
     I repeated the quote for your benefit.
    The simple fact is, Biden is lyin' about why he is now going to build the wall, and his DHS Secretary proved it.
    Evidently, one of Joey's nannies read the polls to him and explained that he is losing badly, due primarily to the illegal immigration debacle. 
    That is the only reason Joey has reversed course on the issue.

Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    brianlux said:
    LMFAO!

LAYESOED.

Sorry, L, but help me here... LAYESOED?  I can't even find that by Googling "LAYESOED acronym", haha!

I don't understand why anyone would align themself with 45.  His legacy will be one of shame and foolishness and his backers will find one day that their heirs are embarrassed at the thought that their parents, grandparents. great grandparents, etc. supported that fool.

Got a little carried away responding to LMFAO, so I arrived at…

laughing at yall every second of every day.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    But what about Joe Bidens dog? Tell us more about the dog. I heard it bites. 
  • Options
    This has to get the tree huggers thong in a pinch. LoL the left!

Why not try hugging a tree yourself, or are you too much of a nature hater? 
    About 22 years ago, I planted an October Glory Maple (Acer rubrum) behind my wife's bookstore.  I brought it from the nursery in my van and the trunk was only as thick as my thumb.  I don't have a photo, but it now towers above the two story building and has a hefty and very huggable trunk.  I have zero shame in saying I have hugged that tree.  Go ahead and laugh all you want.  I could care less.

• Options
    guess what maga.

biden said he will allow wall funding in exchage for ukraine funding. your side said they would fund ukraine if the wall got funded. 

there ya go. 

you can't renege on that.

this is a master stroke of political chess. choke on it, gop.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    guess what maga.

biden said he will allow wall funding in exchage for ukraine funding. your side said they would fund ukraine if the wall got funded. 

there ya go. 

once again
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    edited October 2023
    guess what maga.

there ya go. 

once again

is he buying ice cream with all this lunch money he's taking?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    guess what maga.

there ya go. 

But, according to you, "that money has to be used for what it was appropriated for, so it has to go to the border wall".
    So, evidently Joey has no authority to "allow wall funding" or anything else, it's not his decision to make.
    JoJo sure plays a mean game of checkers.
    :| 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    god conservatives are so gullible. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    shecky said:
    guess what maga.

there ya go. 

But, according to you, "that money has to be used for what it was appropriated for, so it has to go to the border wall".
    So, evidently Joey has no authority to "allow wall funding" or anything else, it's not his decision to make.
    JoJo sure plays a mean game of checkers.
    :| 

unused appropriated monies for a given dept will reduce the budget for that dept for the following year.  Its for this reason monies are generally utilized. to keep current budget levels. since this chunk was purpose specific, it needed to be used for that alone.

So for Biden to say, we'll build more wall in exchange for Ukraine money simply means HHS or HomSec retains currently agreed budget levels.

a bit more than checkers....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    shecky said:
    guess what maga.

there ya go. 

JoJo sure plays a mean game of checkers. :| 
    so basically this thread you posted as a "gotcha" on biden instead of posting in the biden thread is pointless.

nice checkers, brah.