America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Kids get a 180 day suspension (a full year) for vaping THC here.
    Had a kid bring a gun to school, he's back 2 weeks later. Something seems off here....

Technically it was a BB gun. But apparently it looked so real the police had to look in the chamber to confirm it wasn't a "real" gun. It was even stamped "9mm"

I think the punishment for those scenarios should be flipped. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    mace1229 said:
    Had a kid bring a gun to school, he's back 2 weeks later. Something seems off here....

Technically it was a BB gun. But apparently it looked so real the police had to look in the chamber to confirm it wasn't a "real" gun. It was even stamped "9mm"

What does a kid do when he's suspended from school for a year? Spend the year at home playing video games and probably vaping THC? If you're going to potentially ruin a kid's life (and at least impact the crap out of it) it really should be because they're a danger or some kind of super-extreme distraction to everyone else. 

Gun: Dangerous to all.
    Vape: Dangerous to self.

I'm absolutely floored by this. I remember a kid in Minnesota getting kicked out of school for a Swiss army knife (Decades ago)...I really felt bad for him because he didn't appear to have a threatening purpose. My point is that I have always viewed schools as being pretty severe with weapons punishments. I don't want my kid* going to school with kid that brought a gun, BB or "real," or not. I accept that my kid goes to school with kids that make bad choices regarding THC.

*if i had one.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    FiveBelow said:
    two guys in a pissing contest...both facing the wind. 
    Pissing match, or conveying a point to someone who’s argument is emotionally driven? How do you interpret the statistics, Hugh? If you’re paying attention none of my comments are based on political bias, If calling someone out for doing so, with facts and logic is considered a pissing match, you’re quite the pisser yourself.
    the statistics can be interpreted as presented, but depending on which "side" you're on, you use the calculations that are best suited to you. 

demographics?
    population?
    homicide/suicide/mass shooting/accidental?

people on both sides choose which ones to use and which not to, depending which result they wish to see. 
    I'm on the side of breaking it all down (which we have already gone back and forth on) to determine risk based on hard data. I'm not the slightest bit interested in politics. How ever you slice it the data indicates that IL is statistically more dangerous than TX as they pertain to your chances of being shot by anyone other than yourself. I understand HF2TM's stance on the number of guns increasing your chances, but if they aren't being used (responsible?) the data isn't there. I am in no way endorsing the approach that TX has adopted and am as disgusted with the numbers in this country as anyone, but when people put all their focus on a state (for political reasons only) that by all gun violence metrics ranks roughly in the middle, I find it a bit ridiculous.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Pissing match, or conveying a point to someone who’s argument is emotionally driven? How do you interpret the statistics, Hugh? If you’re paying attention none of my comments are based on political bias, If calling someone out for doing so, with facts and logic is considered a pissing match, you’re quite the pisser yourself.
    the statistics can be interpreted as presented, but depending on which "side" you're on, you use the calculations that are best suited to you. 

demographics?
    population?

people on both sides choose which ones to use and which not to, depending which result they wish to see. 
    I'm on the side of breaking it all down (which we have already gone back and forth on) to determine risk based on hard data. I'm not the slightest bit interested in politics. How ever you slice it the data indicates that IL is statistically more dangerous than TX as they pertain to your chances of being shot by anyone other than yourself. I understand HF2TM's stance on the number of guns increasing your chances, but if they aren't being used (responsible?) the data isn't there. I am in no way endorsing the approach that TX has adopted and am as disgusted with the numbers in this country as anyone, but when people put all their focus on a state (for political reasons only) that by all gun violence metrics ranks roughly in the middle, I find it a bit ridiculous.
    agreed
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

What does a kid do when he's suspended from school for a year? Spend the year at home playing video games and probably vaping THC? If you're going to potentially ruin a kid's life (and at least impact the crap out of it) it really should be because they're a danger or some kind of super-extreme distraction to everyone else. 

I'm absolutely floored by this. I remember a kid in Minnesota getting kicked out of school for a Swiss army knife (Decades ago)...I really felt bad for him because he didn't appear to have a threatening purpose. My point is that I have always viewed schools as being pretty severe with weapons punishments. I don't want my kid* going to school with kid that brought a gun, BB or "real," or not. I accept that my kid goes to school with kids that make bad choices regarding THC.

*if i had one.
    Depends on the district. The neighboring district, where I live and my kids go, they have an alternative school. We got an email a couple months ago warning all parents the alternative program is full, and any kids receiving a long term suspension will have to serve it at home. Probably the way my district does it.

They email me a few times a week and ask for assignments. I email back. Within a couple months I stop hearing from them. You can only learn so much that way. I agree, I think it's too tough. Kids are going to be a drop out if they're suspended for a full year. I would think if a family can afford it, they'd probably send them to a private school. Most haven't.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

*if i had one.
    Depends on the district. The neighboring district, where I live and my kids go, they have an alternative school. We got an email a couple months ago warning all parents the alternative program is full, and any kids receiving a long term suspension will have to serve it at home. Probably the way my district does it.

They email me a few times a week and ask for assignments. I email back. Within a couple months I stop hearing from them. You can only learn so much that way. I agree, I think it's too tough. Kids are going to be a drop out if they're suspended for a full year. I would think if a family can afford it, they'd probably send them to a private school. Most haven't.
    It's crazy for sure. Totally lopsided punishment. Reminds me of the one year probation that my daughter got (she was 18) for having a grinder in her purse with just marijuana dust in it. No pipe...just the residue that was in the grinder.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

demographics?
    population?

Absolutely 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

demographics?
    population?

I’m asking because I don’t know, do actuaries (I think that’s what you call them) or the folks who assess risk for financial gain, insurance companies as an example, only look at one data point to assess the exposure to risk, and if they do, are they then profitable? Corporate lawyers who review contracts for risks to their clients, do they also only look at one contract clause that may cost their client? Or do they look at and consider or assess all of the contract clauses that puts their client at risk and inform them appropriately?

My issues with Tejas go way beyond their stance on guns.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • JimFletcherPearlJamJimFletcherPearlJam Posts: 286
    edited May 2023
    Halifax2TheMax, I understand and concur with most of your criticisms of Texas. However, you should realize that there are essentially two versions of Texas -- urban versus rural. As things currently stand, the old, rural, conservative politicians have a hold on the state overall. However, that doesn't mean people like myself agree with or vote for them. I'm not going to surrender my really sweet homestead in an affordable part of the state just to align myself with more like-minded individuals elsewhere. Heck, you should be happy that people like myself aren't packing up and leaving based on a fair percentage of morons living here. Whether you realize it or not, you have a lot of allies down here in Texas, and generalizing to a group of 30 million people is wrong. Long live Pearl Jam!  
  • Moreover, before you begin verbally attacking me, you should realize that I'm a really valuable commodity -- a very liberal thinker/voter in an area that's conservative overall. People like myself have the ability to make a real difference in the long run over a period of decades. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I wanna get between Five Below and Hugh and try to make some peace here but I might inadvertently catch blows from both side and my face is already swollen on both sides enough as it is after a visit to the skin doctor today... so I guess not, lol.

Peace brothers and sisters!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Moreover, before you begin verbally attacking me, you should realize that I'm a really valuable commodity -- a very liberal thinker/voter in an area that's conservative overall. People like myself have the ability to make a real difference in the long run over a period of decades. 

Same here, Jim (except that because my warranty expired years ago, my value as a commodity is rather diminished, lol).
    Keep the faith, watch your back, say "howdy"  to the nine-banded armadillos, and don't forget to smell the bluebonnets!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I imagine TX will shift just like other states as Boomers start dying and GenZ starts getting more involved.

Twenty years from now things will be much different.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Halifax2TheMax, I understand and concur with most of your criticisms of Texas. However, you should realize that there are essentially two versions of Texas -- urban versus rural. As things currently stand, the old, rural, conservative politicians have a hold on the state overall. However, that doesn't mean people like myself agree with or vote for them. I'm not going to surrender my really sweet homestead in an affordable part of the state just to align myself with more like-minded individuals elsewhere. Heck, you should be happy that people like myself aren't packing up and leaving based on a fair percentage of morons living here. Whether you realize it or not, you have a lot of allies down here in Texas, and generalizing to a group of 30 million people is wrong. Long live Pearl Jam!  
    Well said. I've posted my thoughts earlier in this thread as well. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    I think there's truth to this in every state. No matter how red or blue the state, there are people all over the spectrum. States are kind of artificial/random groupings that we lean far too heavily on when discussing the country as a whole. Randomly, Wisconsin could have extended south and included Chicago. Then purple Wisconsin would be bright blue while blue Illinois would be bright red.

And in any case, the bluest and reddest states probably have (and I'm making these numbers up but I think they illustrate a point) something like 30% that usually vote the opposite way and another 20 percent that could go either way. States (particularly "red" states and "blue" states) over-simplify and pigeon-hole areas within the states, whether it's people in Austin, TX or rural southern IL.

That said, Texas's overall culture is different (and worse, in my opinion) than Minnesota's, despite the overall people being only slightly different. The extra (again, fake numbers) 15% of hard-core conservatives (along with some other shenanigans) in Texas really shifts the balance of power and is leading to unfortunate outcomes.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Moreover, before you begin verbally attacking me, you should realize that I'm a really valuable commodity -- a very liberal thinker/voter in an area that's conservative overall. People like myself have the ability to make a real difference in the long run over a period of decades. 
    i don't think anybody will attack you. thanks for speaking out.

i will respectfully ask you to try to get involved locally. texas needs more people like you. just like missouri needs more people like me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    How would you know if someone was verbally attacking you on here?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    I wanna get between Five Below and Hugh and try to make some peace here but I might inadvertently catch blows from both side and my face is already swollen on both sides enough as it is after a visit to the skin doctor today... so I guess not, lol.

? I just agreed with him
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

? I just agreed with him

Sorry!  Maybe I misread. 

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

demographics?
    population?

I’m asking because I don’t know, do actuaries (I think that’s what you call them) or the folks who assess risk for financial gain, insurance companies as an example, only look at one data point to assess the exposure to risk, and if they do, are they then profitable? Corporate lawyers who review contracts for risks to their clients, do they also only look at one contract clause that may cost their client? Or do they look at and consider or assess all of the contract clauses that puts their client at risk and inform them appropriately?

The CDC would have very little credibility if they only used one data point to assign per 100k rates. We also weren’t only discussing one data point. There is no perfect system, but the age adjusted method is widely accepted in assessing risk factors. I get why you put more emphasis on the quantity of guns in a given population, but the data indicates guns are not used proportionally in homicides across different states, and nobody knows how many guns there actually are in this country to begin with. This makes it extremely difficult to quantify the added risk of there simply being more guns within a population. The logical response would be to assess risk based on the quantifiable factors. Texas would be dead last if the number of guns guaranteed a higher rate of gun violence. I know you are passionate about this topic, as are most people who are tired of all the senseless killings, but the reality is Texas is only one part of the problem. This we should all be able to agree on. 
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:

demographics?
    population?

The CDC would have very little credibility if they only used one data point to assign per 100k rates. We also weren’t only discussing one data point. There is no perfect system, but the age adjusted method is widely accepted in assessing risk factors. I get why you put more emphasis on the quantity of guns in a given population, but the data indicates guns are not used proportionally in homicides across different states, and nobody knows how many guns there actually are in this country to begin with. This makes it extremely difficult to quantify the added risk of there simply being more guns within a population. The logical response would be to assess risk based on the quantifiable factors. Texas would be dead last if the number of guns guaranteed a higher rate of gun violence. I know you are passionate about this topic, as are most people who are tired of all the senseless killings, but the reality is Texas is only one part of the problem. This we should all be able to agree on. 
    But we do know the % increase in gun violence by merely having guns present, correct? Or accessible? Or with lax/tighter gun laws? Its about, for me, exposure to risk. Tejas has more guns, more people carrying guns or in their possession or readily accessible because the law says you can and you don't have to be licensed or trained. Seems a lot more exposure to risk and potential risk, despite what the per 100,000 numbers indicate. Illinois, since we're comparing, seems like if you avoid certain areas in Chicago, you're probably safer. Again, despite what the per 100,000 numbers tell us. Exposure to risk or potential risk and risk avoidance.

How many guns from Tejas, Flo Rida, Nevervada and Indianer, to name a few lax gun control red states, make their way to places with more stringent gun control regulations like NY, MA, RI, IL, CA? We know things, we have fact based evidence and yet, it doesn't change. Enjoy the shows.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    mfc2006 said:
    Well said. I've posted my thoughts earlier in this thread as well. 
    And I responded a page or two back. To JFPJ, keep up the good fight but good luck clawing democracy back from the fascists. It'll take another 20 or 30 years, at least and I won't be around to see it. I don't have to be around a majority of folks I don't align with and choose not to, as explained in my response to mfc2006 a page or two ago. Enjoy the shows. And why would I verbally attack you?

Brilliantati©
  • I actually live in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas about 15 miles from the Mexican border. This is a pretty damn liberal part of Texas, which makes it much easier for a guy like me. 
    Yup, nothing to worry about here, especially your risk assessment. Just normal, everyday “responsible” gun owner flexin’ their 2A rights. What could possibly go wrong? Great country, ‘Murica. Gift article.

https://wapo.st/45fslbt

Brilliantati©
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339
    I don’t know how anyone walks around the city of Shitcago w/o carrying a gun.  This is Such a sad story, but just another day in urban American.  Bad guys will always have guns no matter what sort of government regulation is in placed , Shitcago has some of the strongest. Very glad to see the police apprehended these shitbirds quickly, just wish this young beautiful officer had the time to take out a few of them in this blatant ambush….
    https://lawandcrime.com/crime/very-violent-chicago-teens-face-mountain-of-evidence-that-they-murdered-24-year-old-cop-who-just-got-home-from-work-judge
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I don’t know how anyone walks around the city of Shitcago w/o carrying a gun.  This is Such a sad story, but just another day in urban American.  Bad guys will always have guns no matter what sort of government regulation is in placed , Shitcago has some of the strongest. Very glad to see the police apprehended these shitbirds quickly, just wish this young beautiful officer had the time to take out a few of them in this blatant ambush….
    https://lawandcrime.com/crime/very-violent-chicago-teens-face-mountain-of-evidence-that-they-murdered-24-year-old-cop-who-just-got-home-from-work-judge
    So what is your plan to solve such crime ridden states? Most of the guns these criminals get are from states that have zero regulations on the purchase of weapons! Just like the Fentanyl crisis that you probably believe is all brought into this country by the immigrants and not by Americans going down to Mexico to purchase it and sell it to the white suburbanites.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    So what is your plan to solve such crime ridden states? Most of the guns these criminals get are from states that have zero regulations on the purchase of weapons! Just like the Fentanyl crisis that you probably believe is all brought into this country by the immigrants and not by Americans going down to Mexico to purchase it and sell it to the white suburbanites.
    C'mon Jose you know better than to try and have a rational thoughtful conversation with a person who literally only knows "shitcago".
    The QtRUmplicans hate everyone and anyone not an old white guy who claims to be a "christian". 
    She/he/they have literally one answer....more guns for the white people.

And just to be clear the Fentanyl crisis was created by Hunter Biden in a Wet Lab in Wuhan that was funded by Dr. Fauci and then brought over the southern border by brown people looking to take American jobs.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    C'mon Jose you know better than to try and have a rational thoughtful conversation with a person who literally only knows "shitcago".
    The QtRUmplicans hate everyone and anyone not an old white guy who claims to be a "christian". 
    She/he/they have literally one answer....more guns for the white people.

And just to be clear the Fentanyl crisis was created by Hunter Biden in a Wet Lab in Wuhan that was funded by Dr. Fauci and then brought over the southern border by brown people looking to take American jobs.
    “Young beautiful officer”

linda’s beyond parody at this point. 

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.