Atlanta 2024

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    On the sidewalk in downtown Athens....

"I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    Nice pic! Was just at that spot a few weeks ago to see the Truckers at 40 Watt.
  • matt3846matt3846 Atlanta Posts: 153
    Continuing our campaign to will an Atlanta show into existence, here is another amazing PJ in Atlanta moment, and huge reason to come back to Atlanta, Georgia! Lakewood amphitheater, 1998!

Technically not a memory for me, I was at college in Greenville (went to the ‘98 show at the Bi-Lo center), but see the show above and tune into about the hour twenty mark for Daughter with TWO R.E.M. tags, Talk About the Passion and The Wrong Child!

Photo above is the train trestle in Athens, GA on the back of the essential album, Murmur, R.E.M.’s first full length album! Nice day trip from Atlanta for those who visit!

There is a big friendship over the years between the bands, with Ed even singing on R.E.M.‘s last album.

R.E.M. Is one of the best bands ever and these have to be some of the best Daughter tags ever!

PJ, come on down and cover Texarkana or Near Wild Heaven. I’m sure Mike Mills would drive up from Macon to sing! Or any of the other members stop on by to play!

Let’s make it happen!

Sound off if you were present for this version of Daughter!
    I was there! Went to school in Athens and was a big REM fan at the time. Floored me when they did the REM tags.

And if I remember correctly, the audio used on that ATL98 video came from the DAT recording I made that night.

And to insert another Atlanta show memory… he did a short Talk About The Passion tag on 4/2/94 also… the night before the famous radio broadcast.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    matt3846 said:

I was there! Went to school in Athens and was a big REM fan at the time. Floored me when they did the REM tags.

And if I remember correctly, the audio used on that ATL98 video came from the DAT recording I made that night.

And to insert another Atlanta show memory… he did a short Talk About The Passion tag on 4/2/94 also… the night before the famous radio broadcast.
    So we have you to thank for that. Thank you for your service, sir! I love putting that show on in the background while I'm working. There's always a moment when something in that show trips a memory of that night. Since we're on the topic, I'm sure this is a complete long shot but you didn't happen to record the Beasties the next night by any chance? I've been looking for that boot for a long time and have always come up short.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    matt3846 said:

So we have you to thank for that. Thank you for your service, sir! I love putting that show on in the background while I'm working. There's always a moment when something in that show trips a memory of that night. Since we're on the topic, I'm sure this is a complete long shot but you didn't happen to record the Beasties the next night by any chance? I've been looking for that boot for a long time and have always come up short.
    I would love to hear Mike duet with Ed on an REM cover. My friend met Mike Mills a few years ago at a Braves game at Turner Field. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

matt3846 said:

No I didn’t make it to Beastie Boys the next night. Wish I had.
    Have not listened to it, but found this recording….  https://youtu.be/HYfZH2F-oSY
    matt3846 said:

Have not listened to it, but found this recording….  https://youtu.be/HYfZH2F-oSY
    You can't see me now............but there is a grown ass man on the other side of the keyboard who's near tears at this moment. I have struck out on this for so long that I almost gave up. I only got to see the Beasties this one time, lost my tour shirt in a break up, only have a Flex Fit hat from this show and have never been able to relive this night. I haven't looked for this in a long time. This has made my whole week. Thank...you!
    matt3846 said:

You can't see me now............but there is a grown ass man on the other side of the keyboard who's near tears at this moment. I have struck out on this for so long that I almost gave up. I only got to see the Beasties this one time, lost my tour shirt in a break up, only have a Flex Fit hat from this show and have never been able to relive this night. I haven't looked for this in a long time. This has made my whole week. Thank...you!
    So cool! Glad you found that show!
    matt3846 said:

That’s awesome! And I know that feeling!

Wish I had gone to that show… but had Pearl Jam in Birmingham and Greenville the next two nights and had to have a break!

I did get to see the Beasties at the Tibet Freedom Concert in DC earlier that summer though!
    matt3846 said:
    matt3846 said:

That’s awesome! And I know that feeling!

Wish I had gone to that show… but had Pearl Jam in Birmingham and Greenville the next two nights and had to have a break!

I did get to see the Beasties at the Tibet Freedom Concert in DC earlier that summer though!
    Don't blame you. I wish I would have went to the B'ham and Greenville shows, but I tailgated both shows, was working overnights at the time, had to leave directly after both shows and go straight into work so I was pretty much spent the day after the Beasties show.
    lolobugg said:
    matt3846 said:

I would love to hear Mike duet with Ed on an REM cover. My friend met Mike Mills a few years ago at a Braves game at Turner Field. 
    Mike is a huge baseball fan! Here is 3/4 of R.E.M. at the Fox in 2019. PJ let’s do this one!

https://youtu.be/nUCaxfV6pg4
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Come back to Atlanta!!

thanks for the vault! Great day
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Nice...........the first time I heard PJ live..........couldn't get enough.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    JojoRice said:
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!
    This confirms it, right?! The 30th anniversary show at the Fox in 2024 is for sure happening?! This is a sign! Has to be!!! Right?!?! RIGHT?!?!?!  
    JojoRice said:
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!
    This confirms it, right?! The 30th anniversary show at the Fox in 2024 is for sure happening?! This is a sign! Has to be!!! Right?!?! RIGHT?!?!?!  
    Yep!!!  Gotta be multiple nights too!

JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!
    Yep!!!  Gotta be multiple nights too!
    I'm there. Just got to find out how much I can get for my house, my car and for only two of my kids. 🤣
    Ordered the vinyl and yes, start saving for the Fox shows (ticket money and anxiety meds as I await the lottery emails!)!
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 243
    edited May 2023
    JojoRice said:
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!
    As cool as The Fox would be, given their recent tour history in Atlanta I am not going to get greedy and would be more than happy if they just played anywhere in the city.  Even a return to the dump that is Lakewood would be more than great by me.  Just going to see PJ without having to board a plane or take a minimum 4 hour road trip would be nice.
    Post edited by MM70435 on
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
    Agreed. Multiple nights at State Farm would be just fine. Or wherever! Let’s just play Atlanta!
    MM70435 said:
    JojoRice said:
    Atlanta vault vinyl up!
    As cool as The Fox would be, given their recent tour history in Atlanta I am not going to get greedy and would be more than happy if they just played anywhere in the city.  Even a return to the dump that is Lakewood would be more than great by me.  Just going to see PJ without having to board a plane or take a minimum 4 hour road trip would be nice.
    No disagreements from me there. They could play in an open cow pasture outside the Perimeter in the middle of July, and I'd be there.
  • DC111483DC111483 Posts: 51
    Bump…saw Kenny Loggins last night at Ameris Amphitheater and am longing for a local PJ show
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    the fox is simply not feasible at this point in time.  the only options really are lakewood, state farm, truist, turner-ga.state stadium.  i dont even think the alpharetta venue is big enough.  and i am pretty sure i will never see another concert in mercedes stadium again, due to the sound acoustics in that hanger. really the only options are lakewood and statefarm, either way they hate atl and its a moot point
    Okay, continuing campaign to manifest this Atlanta show next year!

@Porchsitter listed some memories earlier in this thread, so let’s go with one of those. It’s a good one!

2003, Lakewood Amphitheater; Atlanta is home (at least used to be, does he still live here?) for ubiquitous producer Mr. Brendan O’Brien. If I remember right, Ed said he was inviting Brendan out to play on a special song. So Brendan comes out to play keys on a special track. And boy is it special! Crown of Thorns, for the third time only! That’s a crazy, rare track to play and with such a special PJ guest! Oddly enough I heard it again that summer at MSG in July.

I’m with Porchsitter; I remember hearing those opening piano notes and losing it! I had that 2000 Vegas boot, so I knew what was coming. Man, that was awesome!

So, another wonderful PJ show packed with special PJ connections, a guest spot from friend and longtime producer Brendan, plus a Mother Love Bone cover to honor the special connection that Jeff and Stone have, as well as honoring Andy Wood and his wonderful music.

And they chose to do this in Atlanta!

Who was there? What were your thoughts and reactions? Or maybe your experience was hearing it on the official boot?

Let’s hear those positive memories and show PJ how many of us in the South are ready for them to come back! Let’s go!
  • dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Funny Brendan/Atlanta story: At the 2013 SiriusXM Town Hall in Seattle for the Lightning Bolt Listening Party, I was the last of the winners to ask my question to the band.  The MC introduced me: "Peter F. from Atlanta" and Brendan immediately jumped in with "what town?" and I replied "Dunwoody", to which he replied "Hey, I'm from Tucker!".  Instead of keeping the banter going with him I panicked and immediately asked my question "How do you create a setlist for a show?".

So it's now an inside joke with my wife; anytime I'm faced with a question I'm struggling to answer, she jumps in and makes fun of me with; "uh, uh, uh...how do you create a setlist for a show?!?" :)
    dmbolp said:
    Funny Brendan/Atlanta story: At the 2013 SiriusXM Town Hall in Seattle for the Lightning Bolt Listening Party, I was the last of the winners to ask my question to the band.  The MC introduced me: "Peter F. from Atlanta" and Brendan immediately jumped in with "what town?" and I replied "Dunwoody", to which he replied "Hey, I'm from Tucker!".  Instead of keeping the banter going with him I panicked and immediately asked my question "How do you create a setlist for a show?".

So it's now an inside joke with my wife; anytime I'm faced with a question I'm struggling to answer, she jumps in and makes fun of me with; "uh, uh, uh...how do you create a setlist for a show?!?" :)
    😂 
    Oh man, that’s awesome. I don’t know what I would have done either!

Tucker, though? That’s awesome! 10 minutes from me, I’m the next town over in Lilburn!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Okay, continuing campaign to manifest this Atlanta show next year!

@Porchsitter listed some memories earlier in this thread, so let’s go with one of those. It’s a good one!

2003, Lakewood Amphitheater; Atlanta is home (at least used to be, does he still live here?) for ubiquitous producer Mr. Brendan O’Brien. If I remember right, Ed said he was inviting Brendan out to play on a special song. So Brendan comes out to play keys on a special track. And boy is it special! Crown of Thorns, for the third time only! That’s a crazy, rare track to play and with such a special PJ guest! Oddly enough I heard it again that summer at MSG in July.

I’m with Porchsitter; I remember hearing those opening piano notes and losing it! I had that 2000 Vegas boot, so I knew what was coming. Man, that was awesome!

So, another wonderful PJ show packed with special PJ connections, a guest spot from friend and longtime producer Brendan, plus a Mother Love Bone cover to honor the special connection that Jeff and Stone have, as well as honoring Andy Wood and his wonderful music.

And they chose to do this in Atlanta!

Who was there? What were your thoughts and reactions? Or maybe your experience was hearing it on the official boot?

Let’s hear those positive memories and show PJ how many of us in the South are ready for them to come back! Let’s go!
    That was a special show. My first time hearing Crown of Thorns! what a great show that night.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Been a few days. Anybody have some "not-so-pleasant" experiences at a Atlanta PJ show? In 2000, I had beer thrown on me towards the end of show by some "bros" who sat through most of the concert, complained they weren't playing playing Jeremy and that the girls next to us wouldn't sit down. They were aiming for them but got my brother and I as well. They bolted as soon as they did. Didn't have any issues in 98 or 03. At Music Midtown, my wife and I showed up before the gates opened so we could get down front. While it was exciting to finally "ride the infamous rail", by 5p we were both trapped by the mass of people and couldn't get out to use the bathroom. Luckily, we hadn't been drinking anything but water because of the heat. It was incredibly uncomfortable by 10p. By the time the show finished, I ran as fast as I ever have towards the porta-potties. Good thing I had trained to run the Peachtree just a few months prior to the show. 
    I don’t think I’ve had any bad experiences at an Atlanta show really, but my wife was pregnant with our second child in 2012. Due date was two weeks past the Midtown show. However, she has preterm labor the week before and I’m worried about her and the baby and I’m sure my daughter is just going to come early on the day of the show or something. Everything work out though, made it to the show, and my wife went into labor the next afternoon! PJ show and a new baby! What a weekend! Now, if I can just convince my daughter to like PJ!
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    Been a few days. Anybody have some "not-so-pleasant" experiences at a Atlanta PJ show? In 2000, I had beer thrown on me towards the end of show by some "bros" who sat through most of the concert, complained they weren't playing playing Jeremy and that the girls next to us wouldn't sit down. They were aiming for them but got my brother and I as well. They bolted as soon as they did. Didn't have any issues in 98 or 03. At Music Midtown, my wife and I showed up before the gates opened so we could get down front. While it was exciting to finally "ride the infamous rail", by 5p we were both trapped by the mass of people and couldn't get out to use the bathroom. Luckily, we hadn't been drinking anything but water because of the heat. It was incredibly uncomfortable by 10p. By the time the show finished, I ran as fast as I ever have towards the porta-potties. Good thing I had trained to run the Peachtree just a few months prior to the show. 
    I had a very unpleasant and exhilarating experience at the 2000 show as well.  Short story is, a few days before the show, I was diagnosed with a kidney stone.  Not big enough for extraction, I was told I’d have to pass it on my own.   I was given pain meds and a strainer lol.  Fast forward to the day of, and I felt good actually, so my wife and I decided to still go (her first show).  We got settled in to our nosebleed seats and had a couple of beers, then the pain and urge go to the restroom hit me.PJ hadn’t taken the stage yet, but was about to, so I ran to the bathroom and yes, I passed the stone, cleaned up, and then I  heard the opening notes to Release!  I hadn’t missed it!  I ran back to our seats and we possibly enjoyed the best show we had ever seen, until the PJ show in Charlottesville in ‘13 that is.