***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited January 2023
    I saw them in 2005, playing after Audioslave.

Then, I saw them in 2010 in Stockholm and felt I never needed to see that greatest hits jukebox again. Saw them in 2018 anyways. Felt the same way. Just makes me tired. Skipped them in 2015 when he broke his leg.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    My wife saw them at The Big Day Out in 1999 (?) and said it was one of the best shows she's seen. I wish I'd made an effort to see them when they played close. My Aunt Sara's sister was close with Taylor and they would always get on his guest list in STL when they played, I turned down the chance some years ago and still regret it! 
     :o 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,813
    FR181798 said:
    Zod said:
    I still can't believe it's been over 25 years since my first Foo Fighters show.   Taylor Hawkins had only been in the band for a few months (and I remember thinking, isn't that guy I saw play with Alanis last summer?).   He brought an fantastic energy to the band (and I have amazing memories of the Taylor Hawkins / Dave Grohl drumoff they did on that tour).

Glad to see their trying to make a go of it.  Hopefully it works out.  I imagine it's not going to be easy to get back on the saddle, especially those first shows.
    Saw them in '96 before Taylor joined. Taylor was playing on the same stage at the festival with Alanis Morissette, same day, only a slot or two apart from Foo Fighters.
    My first show was in 1995 before Taylor Hawkins. But I have seen them a few times since then with Taylor. He will be missed.

• Wish I could have gotten to hear this live. I love this album.

https://youtu.be/brOEuW_E_j8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited January 2023
    I never really delved into Foo fighters or NHC much. I did casually watch the NHC set at Ohana when I was there. Taylor was having a fucking blast and I thought they sounded really good. They had a great energy/vibe. That is just one of those things that had stuck with me after the show that I’ll always remember.
    Now that I think about it, it was the first band I had seen at Ohana. They were on when I walked in. I got a couple tall boys and sat back on some cement picnic tables and watched.

Edit: Upon further review. NHC was the first band I had seen on night 2. First band I had seen on night 1 was White Reaper. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Just got tickets to Boston Calling. Looking forward to seeing the Foo Fighters again. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,419
    Looks like they are doing South America in September.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    My first show was in '97.  They played the UBC Student Rec Centre in Vancouver.  It was shortly after Taylor Hawkins joined the band.   I'd seen the Alanis Morisette/Our Lady Peace tour in Vancouver a year and a bit earlier, so I recognized him right away (and probably from the you learn music video).  The drumoff between Taylor and Dave was epic.  Such a good show.

2nd time was '98 at Edgefest in Barrie, ON.  Really good short afternoon festival set (always found it interesting that edgefest had Canadian bands headline those festivals, so always relegated the american bands to the afternoon).

Then 2000 opening for RHCP in Vancouver.  The blew RHCP out of the water.  Dave Grohl did a tour of the Arena with his guitar... so epic.  I think this was the last show I saw where FF weren't doing smaller venues, early festival sets, or being an opening band.   I didn't see them again until the wasting light tour in Vancouver.   Last one I saw was the last Vancouver show in 2018.   I remember Taylor picking this girl from the crowd from a small town on my Island, and they did an amazing cover of under pressure together.

So glad I got to see all those shows.   I was in complete shock that FF were going to play the city I live in because the arena here is only 7000 people if you sell every seat including behind the stage.   Then the unthinkable happened.

I'm glad they're getting back on the road.  Would love to see them again.

What that also makes me thing of, was even though Dave Grohl was famous from Nirvana, and that helped get the original butts in the seats, they had to work hard at it.  It took them a bit to build.  A number of tours and albums before they could get to Arena headlining status.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,103
    My first show was a free in store at Best Buy in Alpharetta, Georgia, in 2000. They played an acoustic set. Pretty awesome!

Then, I saw them that night in Atlanta on their tour with RHCP. Great show! They were both touring There is Nothing Left to Lose and Californication.  Some of my favorite albums!

Saw them in Atlanta again with Weezer and then the Wasting Light tour at Music Midtown in 2012, one night before PJ!

They always do a great show!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    GlowGirl said:
    Just got tickets to Boston Calling. Looking forward to seeing the Foo Fighters again. 
    Just for Friday? 

If Flaming Lips & QOTSA were the same day I would already have a ticket in hand... Don't want to miss a hometown QOTSA show, but I'm not ready to commit my Memorial Day weekend just for their festival set just yet... that one will be a game time decision. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Just for Friday? 

If Flaming Lips & QOTSA were the same day I would already have a ticket in hand... Don't want to miss a hometown QOTSA show, but I'm not ready to commit my Memorial Day weekend just for their festival set just yet... that one will be a game time decision. 
    I got the 3 day ticket since I really want to see FF and QOTSA. I considered getting two 1 day tickets and spending Saturday hanging out in Boston, but it was only $20 more for the 3 day. So I got that one. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Just for Friday? 

I got the 3 day ticket since I really want to see FF and QOTSA. I considered getting two 1 day tickets and spending Saturday hanging out in Boston, but it was only $20 more for the 3 day. So I got that one. 
    Nice! If you haven't seen them, Flaming Lips are phenomenal... at the risk of mucking up your Saturday plans.

I heard good things about King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. If I end up going on Sunday I'll be sure to get in for their set too. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Just for Friday? 

Nice! If you haven't seen them, Flaming Lips are phenomenal... at the risk of mucking up your Saturday plans.

I heard good things about King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. If I end up going on Sunday I'll be sure to get in for their set too. 
    I have seen the Flaming Lips. I probably will go on Saturday as well - maybe when they come on, and also stay for Lumineers and Alanis. All three days should be fun.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I saw them on their very 1st tour, '95, Foos were supporting Mike Watt, and Hovercraft with Ed on drums opened the whole lineup. At the end there were THREE drumsets set up, with Watt's drummer, Grohl and then the Foos drummer at the time (their 1st drummer). "Epic" is an understatement. Incredible show in a club!

Have seen them many times since. Still outrageously grateful that as shows started up again after the most locked down part of pandemic lockdown, I a) was lucky to grab a ticket and b) suppressed my anxiety about going to a fully sold out club show (you did have to show vax card and wear a mask, but still it was early days back to shows) and one of the first shows I saw coming out of lockdown was Dave Grohl's hometown Foos show in DC at the 9:30 Club, 1,200 people, and the Foos doing the same set they played at MSG around the same time and that they played in stadiums. 

And that was my last time seeing Taylor Hawkins on drums. So glad he did "Somebody to Love" that night, fully. <3
    edited January 2023
    JH6056 said:
    I saw them on their very 1st tour, '95, Foos were supporting Mike Watt, and Hovercraft with Ed on drums opened the whole lineup. At the end there were THREE drumsets set up, with Watt's drummer, Grohl and then the Foos drummer at the time (their 1st drummer). "Epic" is an understatement. Incredible show in a club!

Have seen them many times since. Still outrageously grateful that as shows started up again after the most locked down part of pandemic lockdown, I a) was lucky to grab a ticket and b) suppressed my anxiety about going to a fully sold out club show (you did have to show vax card and wear a mask, but still it was early days back to shows) and one of the first shows I saw coming out of lockdown was Dave Grohl's hometown Foos show in DC at the 9:30 Club, 1,200 people, and the Foos doing the same set they played at MSG around the same time and that they played in stadiums. 

And that was my last time seeing Taylor Hawkins on drums. So glad he did "Somebody to Love" that night, fully. <3
    I saw that same show at the Black Cat (the old smaller one before they moved) in DC. Is that were you saw them in 95?

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    GlowGirl said:
    JH6056 said:

I saw that same show at the Black Cat (the old smaller one before they moved) in DC. Is that were you saw them in 95?

No my show was at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence. Wasn't it amazing though? Black Cat is way smaller than Lupo's - I'd have loved to see that one!
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    JH6056 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    JH6056 said:

No my show was at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence. Wasn't it amazing though? Black Cat is way smaller than Lupo's - I'd have loved to see that one!
    I'm sure there are some FF songs from those days that I heard that have never surfaced again, a few turned up on later records like Friend of a Friend. The one I recall the most was Butterflies, did that ever get recorded and released.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,742
    JH6056 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    JH6056 said:

Me at Tramps nyc. What a night. We went first night and I heard some people with tix couldn't get in for night 2. 

Casual hey let's go see the drummer from nirvanas new band, also mike watt, not sure who he is but has a cd with a bunch of rockers on it. Eddie too. Ok let's go.

History people. Dig it.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,888
    Enjoyed listening to Medicine at Midnight today. With new tour dates (festivals) announced it felt good to listen to the Foo’s again! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Just got tickets to the 120th Harley Davidson festival they will be playing at on July 14th!
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    Every other day this band is being announced for a new festival. Holy shit. Now they’re replacing Pantera at a few festivals too. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    Every other day this band is being announced for a new festival. Holy shit. Now they’re replacing Pantera at a few festivals too. 
    did that "reunion" already implode?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,483
    edited January 2023
    nicknyr15 said:
    The German festivals dropped them over actions by Phil in the past. He made what was interpreted as a “nazi salute “ and said “white power” at a show. He claimed it wasn’t what it looked like, but the festivals decided to cancel their appearances. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 574
    nicknyr15 said:
    The German festivals dropped them over actions by Phil in the past. He made what was interpreted as a “nazi salute “ and said “white power” at a show. He claimed it wasn’t what it looked like, but the festivals decided to cancel their appearances. 
    It's exactly what he did. He meant it as a joke but it was an extremely poor one that was caught on film for all to see. I know someone who was backstage that night and his ridiculous excuse was actually true. People were making fun of him for drinking white wine and he used that as the basis for his Nazi salute and multiple "white power" screams. It was monumentally stupid.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 574
    My source says Josh Freese is the guy but only as a hired gun and not a permanent member. Not sure when it will be announced. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 798
    Not surprising at all. Josh doesn't do long term projects really. They need a monster who is ok with being a hired gun and Josh is exactly that. Would have guessed Josh the moment they announced they'd tour again-plus he's already played some of Dave's parts before in NIN.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • CHINESE DEMOCRACY REDEEMED
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    ^ Kewl! 
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024