Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1 said:
    I just took the plunge and bought a VPI Prime with 10 in JMW 3D tonearm. Pretty stoked.

I am considering the Marantz PM8006 integrated amp to pair it with, but a lot of you guys have more knowledge than me, so I’d thought I’d see if anyone had any suggestions. Open to separates. I’d like to stay around 2k for a budget.
    Nice! Congrats!  What cartridge did you select? 

You went "end game" level with your turntable, as there likely won't be a need to upgrade that for the rest of your life.  So my humble advice is to start planning what your end game (or close to it) for the rest of the system, and move towards that, even if that means holding off a bit.  So I'd love to nerd out on this for a bit, so indulge me if you would..

1. What stereo/integrated, etc. are you using now that a Marantz or similar would replace?
    2. Do you have a standalone phono stage, or is yours built into your existing? (note, the Marantz does not have a phono stage)
    3. How large is your room?
    4. What speakers are you using?

I went with an Ortofon Bronze for the cartridge. I almost went black, but figure I will upgrade that next year to compare as they use the same body. 

You certain the the Marantz PM 8006 doesn’t have a phono? I was targeting that one specifically because it was recommended to me because of the phono stage.

My setup is in my basement. The actual room is about 1500 square feet. I’ll try to attach pictures below. Right now I am using wharfedale diamond towers. Again, probably will upgrade those next year or so.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    edited November 2022
    https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/amplifiers/pm8006

PM8006

Integrated Amplifier with new Phono-EQ

Featuring exquisite Marantz sound, expertly crafted for purity and power.

• Integrated for maximum power

Integrated Current Feedback Amplifier with 2x 70W / 8 ohm rms

• Smooth volume control

Newly designed electric volume circuit

• Marantz-pure vinyl

Exceptional Marantz Musical Phono EQ stage

• Smoother more Marantz sound

Marantz proprietary HDAM-SA3 circuits

Current Feedback

Current Feedback amplification is a well-known, Marantz-original circuit technology, thoughtfully designed to match the requirements of Super Audio hi-res music for wide-bandwidth, high-speed reproduction. The impedance at the Current Feedback point is limited, generating a very low phase shift. Marantz Current Feedback amplifiers reduce the need for phase compensation by minimizing Negative Feedback (NFB). This simplifies the signal path and results in a high through-rate, excellent transient response and superb sonic transparency across the full bandwidth. Unlike conventional Voltage Feedback topology, Current Feedback also makes the power amplifier insensitive to difficult loudspeaker loads.

Marantz HDAM Technology

Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards called Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules, or HDAMs, to replace the chip based amps used elsewhere. Using discrete surface mount components with short mirror-image left and right signal paths, HDAMs outperform the regular integrated Op-amps dramatically in Slew Rate and noise level. The result is much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years, Marantz has developed different HDAMs to fit the particular requirements of players and amplifiers. The PM8006 uses the high-grade SA3 version.

Marantz Musical Phono EQ

For a long time, Marantz integrated amplifiers have featured high-quality phono stages. We’ve elevated our commitment to vinyl with the Marantz Musical Phono EQ stage, as seen in the PM8006 amplifier. Enjoy the very best playback of all music sources, be they digital or analog. Marantz Musical Phono EQ uses two-stage amplification, allowing less gain per stage for lower distortion. The PM8006 combines Marantz HDAM technology with JFETs (junction gate field-effect transistors) in the input stage, providing high input impedance that eliminates the need for AC coupling capacitors and simplifies the signal path, vastly improving the signal purity overall.

Learn More

Toroidal Transformer

A Toroidal transformer offers several advantages that derive from its efficiency and power capability. The shape of it lends to low levels of electromagnetic radiation and mechanical vibration, producing improved sound quality over what you might experience with dated transformer models.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Whoops, you're right.  It does have one.  Beautiful basement, btw.  Nicely done.  

Are you driving multiple sets of speakers across the basement, or just the Diamond's, therefore a 2 channel setup?

The Marantz is supposed to be good.  As is the Cambridge CX-81.  The two benefits Cambridge may bring is 1. A built in DAC, which is pretty solid.  Marantz does not have one.  2. Balanced and unbalanced inputs.  That could be useful if you go discrete phono stage down the line.  The downside to Cambridge is that there is no phono stage  on that one.  So you would need a discrete phono stage.  

The other brand that is very good in that range (solid state amps) is Yamaha.  I think they have excellent audio reproduction.  But I was looking and it's seems like there is a hole in their lineup of integrated amps.  There is nothing between $800 and $2900.  I would not spend $800 on an integrated for that good of a turntable.  

Regarding the separates, I'm not sure you could get good separates for under $2k, unless you go Emotiva, which should be a consideration.  But I have never listened to the brand myself.  But people are fans.  

Now this is leaving tubes out of the discussion.  Whether you are interested in going that route is a whole different deal.  

• I’m only going to driving one set of speakers, so purely 2 channel. Marantz is high on my list because it’s got a nice phono stage and is in my preferred price range right now. I’ve had good experience with Marantz, too. I actually did consider a Yamaha as-1200?? Which in the 3k range. It just started leading me down this rabbit hole of adding to my budget, which I prefer to adhere to as I just dropped a nice chunk on the rig.

I think long term, whatever amp I get is my next to last. I’ll be upgrading in a year or two and I think at that time I’ll have more flexibility in price and that will open up more possibilities. I’m not sure about tubes as I’m not educated enough, but I’d love hear what has worked for you and if it’s something I should be considering when I can splurge more.
    I’m only going to driving one set of speakers, so purely 2 channel. Marantz is high on my list because it’s got a nice phono stage and is in my preferred price range right now. I’ve had good experience with Marantz, too. I actually did consider a Yamaha as-1200?? Which in the 3k range. It just started leading me down this rabbit hole of adding to my budget, which I prefer to adhere to as I just dropped a nice chunk on the rig.

I think long term, whatever amp I get is my next to last. I’ll be upgrading in a year or two and I think at that time I’ll have more flexibility in price and that will open up more possibilities. I’m not sure about tubes as I’m not educated enough, but I’d love hear what has worked for you and if it’s something I should be considering when I can splurge more.
    I think if you're going tubes, that's going to be more at the high end, to get a great sound, so it seems like Marantz is a good choice in your range for today.  One thing to consider is ordering from Crutchfield.  They are very good about the 30 day home trials.  You could do Marantz, Cambridge, Yamaha and others and see which ones you like better.  I think return shipping is $10 for even a large component.  It's a good way to go.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    I’m only going to driving one set of speakers, so purely 2 channel. Marantz is high on my list because it’s got a nice phono stage and is in my preferred price range right now. I’ve had good experience with Marantz, too. I actually did consider a Yamaha as-1200?? Which in the 3k range. It just started leading me down this rabbit hole of adding to my budget, which I prefer to adhere to as I just dropped a nice chunk on the rig.

I think if you're going tubes, that's going to be more at the high end, to get a great sound, so it seems like Marantz is a good choice in your range for today.  One thing to consider is ordering from Crutchfield.  They are very good about the 30 day home trials.  You could do Marantz, Cambridge, Yamaha and others and see which ones you like better.  I think return shipping is $10 for even a large component.  It's a good way to go.  
    I had no idea about Crutchfield’s policy. That definitely sounds like something I will take advantage of. I appreciate the advice!
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I’m running a pioneer ax-750 with a u-turn orbit and the u-turn preamp and have been since 2016. Today I replaced the drive belt and swapped out the Ortofon OM5E for a Grado Black 3.  It’s like I have a new damn stereo.  Amazing clarity and the bass is phenomenal.  My first time replacing a cartridge rather than just the needle. Total pain in the ass. Lining up tiny screws, setting the needle to the correct length with a compass and then adjusting the tracking force.  Totally worth it.  I’m christening it with The Doors first album and it’s really like hearing it for the first time again.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    I’m running a pioneer ax-750 with a u-turn orbit and the u-turn preamp and have been since 2016. Today I replaced the drive belt and swapped out the Ortofon OM5E for a Grado Black 3.  It’s like I have a new damn stereo.  Amazing clarity and the bass is phenomenal.  My first time replacing a cartridge rather than just the needle. Total pain in the ass. Lining up tiny screws, setting the needle to the correct length with a compass and then adjusting the tracking force.  Totally worth it.  I’m christening it with The Doors first album and it’s really like hearing it for the first time again.
    Congrats!  It should only get better as it breaks in!
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Thanks.  I always thought high end cartridges were bs.  Tried out an upgrade because my daughter bent the stylus on the ortofon. My eyes have been opened.  I doubt I will go as crazy as some but I’m happy for this upgrade.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Thanks.  I always thought high end cartridges were bs.  Tried out an upgrade because my daughter bent the stylus on the ortofon. My eyes have been opened.  I doubt I will go as crazy as some but I’m happy for this upgrade.
    My first upgrade was after my son snapped a needle somehow as well.  

I think there's big room for improvement from entry level to "mid fi".  After that,  it still gets better with each upgrade,  but it's the law of diminishing returns. 
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

I think there's big room for improvement from entry level to "mid fi".  After that,  it still gets better with each upgrade,  but it's the law of diminishing returns. 
    I like mid-fi.  Its not crap, it's not the greatest, but it's pretty damn good.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

I like mid-fi.  Its not crap, it's not the greatest, but it's pretty damn good.
    That's exactly right
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    static111 said:
    Good for you, man! Proper setup is absolutely critical if you want the best sound possible and you don't want to damage your records.

Changing carts CAN be a pain in the ass, especially on a 1-piece tonearm. Having removable headshells makes it a lot easier. 

Tonight, I am in the process of setting up and aligning four different cartridges for my Dual 1019. Since it has removable sleds that the cartridges mount to, I can do all the tedious stuff away from the turntable. 

After they are mounted and aligned, I'll be able to swap between cartridges in next to no time at all.

Also, glad to hear that the Grado is working out for you. They make some pretty impressive stuff!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Anyone here do a Stylus change on a Project debut carbon?
    Anyone here do a Stylus change on a Project debut carbon?

Why do you want to change the stylus rather than the whole headshell?  Are you really just removing the stylus?
  • mrussel1 said:

Why do you want to change the stylus rather than the whole headshell?  Are you really just removing the stylus?
     I never heard it called that.  Learn something new every day. Heard Stylus, Cartridge and needle but never headshell.  I googled it.  Seems pretty easy.
    mrussel1 said:

I never heard it called that.  Learn something new every day. Heard Stylus, Cartridge and needle but never headshell.  I googled it.  Seems pretty easy.
    Yes, now I was reading into something you didn't say so correct me.  Are you switching from one Orto to another?  Those typically came with the red, so that's why I'm asking.  If you are upgrading from red to blue, or just replacing teh red, it should be a very easy swap.  And I think that's limited to the cartridge itself.  If you are going from a Red/Blue to the Orange/Black, then I think you have to change the headshell so it's a little more complex.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, now I was reading into something you didn't say so correct me.  Are you switching from one Orto to another?  Those typically came with the red, so that's why I'm asking.  If you are upgrading from red to blue, or just replacing teh red, it should be a very easy swap.  And I think that's limited to the cartridge itself.  If you are going from a Red/Blue to the Orange/Black, then I think you have to change the headshell so it's a little more complex.  
    I was just going to go from red to blue.  If I can hear a distinct difference then i'd do a bigger replacement next.  That I looked up too and it is a bit of more work but one day.  By that time I might upgrade the TT instead.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I was just going to go from red to blue.  If I can hear a distinct difference then i'd do a bigger replacement next.  That I looked up too and it is a bit of more work but one day.  By that time I might upgrade the TT instead.
    Ok all you need is to buy the blue cartridge and replace the red on the existing head shell.  It's two minutes and doesn't require alignment or messing with the azimuth. And once it breaks in,  you should hear an improvement. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ok all you need is to buy the blue cartridge and replace the red on the existing head shell.  It's two minutes and doesn't require alignment or messing with the azimuth. And once it breaks in,  you should hear an improvement. 
    Aren't the red and blue cartridges the same? Only difference being the stylus?
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes but the stylus is in the cart. I'm not sure you can buy the stylus only.  And if you could,  I don't know that you would want to pull out the old and put in the new. The way it's designed,  you just snap out the red and in with the blue. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes but the stylus is in the cart. I'm not sure you can buy the stylus only.  And if you could,  I don't know that you would want to pull out the old and put in the new. The way it's designed,  you just snap out the red and in with the blue. 
    Older record players you actually swapped out the needles.  I don’t think any of the newer ones you do that with.
    mrussel1 said:

Not to complicate anything but I don't think your turntable has a removable headshell. The cartridge bolts directly to the flattened end of the tonearm. 

(Some tts allow you to simply remove the flattened part with the cart/stylus as 1 piece. That makes swapping cartridges super easy.)

For the Red and Blue Ortofon carts, the cartridge body is the same. You can simply remove the stylus from your Red and replace it with a Blue stylus. You will need to check the tracking force for the new stylus to make sure it is dialed in to the manufacturer recommended tracking force. 
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Last time I checked, you can buy just the stylus but the cost is just about the same as buying the cart and stylus together. 

Interestingly, those Ortofon bodies will also accept stylii from their "OM" line. They look a little funky but they are considerably cheaper than the OEM Red or Blue stylii.
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Older record players you actually swapped out the needles.  I don’t think any of the newer ones you do that with.
    Most of the modern MM (moving magnet) cartridges have user replaceable stylus assemblies. 

MC (moving coil) maybe occasionally do but those are typically sent to the manufacturer or a third party for retipping once the stylus wears out. 
  • dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Most of the modern MM (moving magnet) cartridges have user replaceable stylus assemblies. 

MC (moving coil) maybe occasionally do but those are typically sent to the manufacturer or a third party for retipping once the stylus wears out. 
    Interesting, I've read on those magnet types.  They are spendy.  Maybe on my next upgrade?
  • dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not to complicate anything but I don't think your turntable has a removable headshell. The cartridge bolts directly to the flattened end of the tonearm. 

(Some tts allow you to simply remove the flattened part with the cart/stylus as 1 piece. That makes swapping cartridges super easy.)

For the Red and Blue Ortofon carts, the cartridge body is the same. You can simply remove the stylus from your Red and replace it with a Blue stylus. You will need to check the tracking force for the new stylus to make sure it is dialed in to the manufacturer recommended tracking force. 
    Yes, I read up on how to, it seems fairly easy.
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Interesting, I've read on those magnet types.  They are spendy.  Maybe on my next upgrade?
    I think you mean the coil, not magnet.  And yeah they are.  Depending on your setup, you might need a different phono stage.  

I have a Hana SL coil and it sounds awesome.  But it was like $750 so not cheap. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think you mean the coil, not magnet.  And yeah they are.  Depending on your setup, you might need a different phono stage.  

I have a Hana SL coil and it sounds awesome.  But it was like $750 so not cheap. 
    My setup can't be upgraded to that if I remember correctly.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My setup can't be upgraded to that if I remember correctly.  
    Well anything can be upgraded.  You would just need to get an external phono stage that supports MC and MM.  You run that into an aux input on your system rather than use the phono input that you probably use now.