Options

Special Prosecutor Smith

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
edited December 2022 in A Moving Train
seems to be generating enough activity to warrant his own thread...

Trump probe subpoena served on Georgia secretary of state
By KATE BRUMBACK
Today

ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger has received a subpoena related to special counsel Jack Smith's investigation of former President Donald Trump, who focused strongly on the state as he sought to overturn his 2020 election loss.

Smith was appointed last month to oversee not only the Justice Department's Mar-a-Lago investigation but also aspects of Trump's scramble to stay in power — including his effort in Georgia — and the violent attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

In a Jan. 2 phone call, Trump had suggested that Raffensperger “find” the votes needed to give him a win in Georgia.

The subpoena, which is dated Friday and was received by Raffensperger's office Monday, follows others served last week in several states and counties. Like those other locations, Georgia was a target of Trump and his allies as they sought to overturn his loss in the 2020 election.

The special counsel is seeking “any and all communications in any form” between June 1, 2020, and Jan. 20, 2021, “to, from or involving” Trump, his campaign, lawyers and aides, including former campaign officials such as Bill Stepien and Justin Clark and lawyers John Eastman, Boris Epshteyn, L. Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, according to the subpoena, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

Efforts by Trump and his associates to reverse his loss in Georgia are currently the subject of a separate investigation led by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis in Atlanta. A special grand jury seated to aid that investigation has heard from dozens of witnesses, including a number of high-profile Trump allies, over the past six months and is expected to wrap up its work soon.

Among other things, Willis is investigating the Jan. 2, 2021, phone call between Trump and Raffensperger.

It was not immediately clear whether any counties in Georgia had also received subpoenas from the special counsel.

In the weeks following the 2020 election, Trump focused in part on Fulton County, which includes most of the city of Atlanta, making unsupported allegations of election fraud. But the county had not received a subpoena by Monday morning, a spokesperson said.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Options
    from last week.

DOJ subpoenas election officials in states Trump disputed
    By SCOTT BAUER and JILL COLVIN
    6 Dec 2022

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Special counsel Jack Smith has subpoenaed local election officials in Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona and Pennsylvania, asking for communications with or involving former President Donald Trump, his 2020 campaign aides and a list of allies involved in his efforts to try to overturn the results of the election.

The requests, issued to Milwaukee and Dane counties in Wisconsin; Wayne County, Michigan; Maricopa County, Arizona; and Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, are the first known subpoenas by Smith, who was named special counsel last month by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Smith is overseeing the Justice Department’s investigation into the presence of classified documents at Trump’s Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe involving the violent storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and Trump's frantic efforts to remain in power.

The subpoenas, some of which were first reported by The Washington Post, are the clearest indication yet that Smith’s work will include an examination of the fake electors that were part of Trump’s efforts to subvert the election count and certification. All of the states where requests were sent are states that Trump and his allies targeted as they tried to overturn the democratic vote.

In Pennsylvania, for instance, Trump’s campaign sued unsuccessfully in court to try to overturn President Joe Biden's victory, while his allies organized a Trump slate of electors to send to Congress. Trump and his supporters also repeatedly contacted top Republican lawmakers, at times asking about using the GOP-controlled legislature to give lawmakers the power to overturn the election. They refused.

The subpoenas, two of which were obtained by The Associated Press, request “any and all communications in any form” between June 1, 2020, and Jan. 20, 2021, “to, from, or involving” Trump, his campaign, lawyers and aides, including former campaign officials like Bill Stepien and Justin Clark and lawyers John Eastman, Boris Epshteyn, L. Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

In Wisconsin, Milwaukee County Clerk George Christenson said he received a subpoena on Monday and is working with the county’s attorney to comply with the request as soon as possible.

“I don’t see any issues with it,” he said. “Many of those names aren’t familiar to me, so I don't know how many of those individuals did reach out to us. For example, I don’t recall receiving anything from Rudy Giuliani. I think I would have remembered that. But who knows.”

Christenson said he hoped the documents would help with the investigation, but he didn’t expect to turn over anything that hasn’t already been made public.

“I don’t expect to find any smoking gun,” Christenson said.

Dane County Clerk Scott McDonell said he received a similar subpoena on Dec. 1, asking for communications he had with “the gang of people you would sort of expect.”

McDonell said the only person on the list that his office had interaction with was Jim Troupis, Trump’s Wisconsin-based attorney. Trump paid for a recount of ballots cast in Milwaukee and Dane counties, the two largest Democratic counties in Wisconsin, following the 2020 election. Troupis spearheaded the legal effort not to count tens of thousands of ballots cast absentee in that election, including his own.

McDonell said he didn’t expect his response to the subpoena to reveal anything that “hasn’t been covered in the past.”

“I don’t have any stories of Trump calling me at dinner like the other guys,” McDonell said.

In Michigan, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson confirmed that Wayne County had received a subpoena from Smith but did not provide additional information on what it was seeking.

“We welcome and support the work of any law enforcement agency working to ensure full accountability for efforts to illegally overturn the fair and accurate results of Michigan’s 2020 election,” Benson said in a statement sent to The Associated Press.

Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Michigan centered on Detroit’s convention hall, which is located in Wayne County. Trump falsely claimed poll workers there “were duplicating ballots,” and an unsuccessful lawsuit by his campaign on Election Day forced election workers to temporarily halt the tallying of votes in the state’s largest city.

Another lawsuit was filed by several attorneys, including Trump allies Powell and Wood, on behalf of six Republican voters who wanted a federal judge to decertify Michigan’s results and impound voting machines. The judge declined, calling the request “stunning in its scope and breathtaking in its reach.”

Angela Benander, a spokesperson for the Michigan Department of State, said the department wasn't aware of any other counties being issued subpoenas from Smith.

In Arizona, Maricopa County also received a subpoena and will comply, said county spokesperson Fields Moseley.

The county, which includes the Phoenix area and more than 60% of Arizona voters, had been a centerpiece of Trump’s efforts to overturn the election and cast doubt on the results.

Trump allies tried to pressure Republicans on the county board of supervisors not to certify his loss in 2020, and when they did so, continued trying to reach them as Congress prepared to tally the electoral votes on Jan. 6. Clint Hickman, then the chairman of the board, dodged calls from the White House operator, who left voicemails saying the president was trying to reach him.

In Pennsylvania, Allegheny County, the state’s second-most populous and home to Pittsburgh, received a subpoena as well, a spokesperson confirmed. The Pennsylvania Department of State, along with several jurisdictions targeted by Trump’s campaign in 2020 — Philadelphia and Bucks and Montgomery counties — declined comment on whether they'd received subpoenas, too.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment Tuesday.

In addition to the DOJ, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has also been investigating whether Trump and his allies illegally tried to interfere in the 2020 election in Georgia. ___

Colvin reported from New York. Associated Press writers Joey Cappelletti in Lansing, Michigan, Jonathan J. Cooper in Phoenix, Marc Levy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and Eric Tucker in Washington contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    The phone conversation with Raffensperger seems like enough to prosecute. My opinion of course.

Absolutely disgusting behavior. 

I'm guessing there is some interesting shit that will come out once all the evidence is presented. Texts/emails, etc. I was reading some shit yesterday between Meadows and others that I hadn't seen yet. 

Smith's request to Raffensperger listing the emails/communications that he wants to review seems like the indictment list.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://docs-cdn-prod.news-engineering.aws.wapo.pub/publish_document/2b730657-4a82-4cb1-8f29-1f7c18b07f96/published/2b730657-4a82-4cb1-8f29-1f7c18b07f96.pdf

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    The phone conversation with Raffensperger seems like enough to prosecute. My opinion of course.

Absolutely disgusting behavior. 

I'm guessing there is some interesting shit that will come out once all the evidence is presented. Texts/emails, etc. I was reading some shit yesterday between Meadows and others that I hadn't seen yet. 

Smith's request to Raffensperger listing the emails/communications that he wants to review seems like the indictment list.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://docs-cdn-prod.news-engineering.aws.wapo.pub/publish_document/2b730657-4a82-4cb1-8f29-1f7c18b07f96/published/2b730657-4a82-4cb1-8f29-1f7c18b07f96.pdf

dont gorget Ginni Thomas

• Options

• Options
    gift article....

How Jack Smith charged Kosovo’s president and blew up a Trump meeting
    By Devlin Barrett and Rosalind S. Helderman
    January 20, 2023 at 12:15 ET
    Before stepping into the high-wire job of investigating Donald Trump, special counsel Jack Smith spent years working in Europe, pursuing a war crimes case that briefly intersected with the then-U.S. president.
    Over more than three years as a special prosecutor examining war crime accusations in the fledgling European nation Kosovo, Smith sent two men to prison for sharing sensitive information taken from his office and indicted the young country’s sitting president — charges that upended a peace summit Trump was organizing at the White House in June 2020. Along the way, Smith weathered frequent questions about the legitimacy of his unusual office and persisted with his inquiry despite outside pressure to speed or slow it.
    Attorney General Merrick Garland and his advisers hope those experiences will gird Smith for the challenges and attacks that come with investigating a former U.S. president, one who on Wednesday publicly compared the FBI agents investigating him to the Gestapo.
    Garland named Smith in November to oversee prosecutors in two cases. The first involves hundreds of classified documents apparently taken to Trump’s Florida home after his presidency ended; the second is a probe of the machinations that led up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol and attempts to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential victory.
    The appointment drew skepticism and ire from Trump’s Republican defenders, some of whom used political activity by Smith’s filmmaker wife to question his ability to be impartial. And the job grew even more complicated this month, with Garland naming a different special counsel, Robert K. Hur, to investigate a classified-documents scandal involving President Biden and his advisers. That case is similar in some ways to the Trump documents probe but so far includes key differences.
    Smith’s former colleagues frequently cite his career as an American prosecutor — first for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, then for the U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn and Justice Department headquarters — as key experiences to draw on as he investigates the former president. The best way to understand Smith’s approach to his new job, however, may lie not in his past work in the United States, but in his more recent time at The Hague, prosecuting figures that most Americans have never heard of.

continues ....

• Options

AP source: Pence subpoenaed by special counsel probing Trump
    By STEVE PEOPLES and ERIC TUCKER
    Today

Former Vice President Mike Pence has been subpoenaed by the special counsel overseeing investigations into efforts by former President Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election, according to a person with direct knowledge of the event.

The subpoena to Pence as part of the investigation by special counsel Jack Smith was served in recent days, according to the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday to discuss a sensitive issue.

The extraordinary scenario of a former vice president potentially testifying against his former boss in a criminal investigation comes as Pence considers launching a 2024 Republican presidential bid against Trump. The two have been estranged since a mob of Trump's supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6, 2021, in an attempt to stop Democrat Joe Biden's victory.

The subpoena is an aggressive step from a prosecutor who for years led the Justice Department’s public corruption section and who oversaw indictments against major political figures. The move sets the stage for a likely executive privilege fight, given Pence’s close proximity to Trump for four years as major decisions were being contemplated and planned. It is unclear whether efforts to secure voluntary testimony from Pence stalled before the subpoena was issued.

Spokespeople for Pence and Smith declined to comment on the issuance of the subpoena, which was first reported by ABC News.

Pence was a central figure in Trump's efforts to stay in power after losing the 2020 election. Trump falsely insisted that his vice president, who had a ceremonial role in overseeing the certification of the election, could simply reject the results and send them back to the battleground states he contested.

On Jan. 6, Trump supporters driven by the lie that the election was stolen marched to the Capitol building, brutally pushed past the police and smashed through the windows and doors while Pence was presiding over the certification of Biden’s victory. The vice president was steered to safety with his staff and family as some in the mob chanted, “Hang Mike Pence!”

While the mob was in the Capitol, Trump tweeted, “Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution.”

Smith, who was named special counsel in November by Attorney General Merrick Garland, has been tasked with overseeing investigations into Trump’s attempts to subvert his defeat, his actions leading up to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol and his possession of top-secret government documents at his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago.

Federal prosecutors have been especially focused on a scheme by Trump allies to elevate fake presidential electors in key battleground states won by Biden as a way to subvert the vote, issuing subpoenas to multiple state Republican party chairs.

Federal prosecutors have brought multiple Trump administration officials before the grand jury for questioning, including former Trump White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Pence’s own former chief of staff, Marc Short.

In a sign of the expanding nature of the investigation, election officials in multiple states whose results were disputed by Trump have received subpoenas asking for communications with or involving Trump and his campaign aides.

A House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack recommended that the Justice Department bring criminal charges against Trump and associates who helped him launch a pressure campaign to try to overturn his 2020 election loss.

• Options
    This is the moment of truth for Pence. If he cooperates his place in history will improve. If he doesn't then fuck him.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    This is the moment of truth for Pence. If he cooperates his place in history will improve. If he doesn't then fuck him.
    lol mike pence wants to be the head of the hang mike pence party. dude has no self respect. that should disqualify him from office anyway.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    He ain’t gonna do it. He’ll let repub organizations file suites blocking his testimony on executive privilege grounds and be threatened with a complete exile and shunning. He’ll have no friends, no future and no life. He’ll be excommunicated from the repub party. Even his church will disown him, his wife and family. He ain’t giving up the lord for ‘Murica and democracy. No way.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    He ain’t gonna do it. He’ll let repub organizations file suites blocking his testimony on executive privilege grounds and be threatened with a complete exile and shunning. He’ll have no friends, no future and no life. He’ll be excommunicated from the repub party. Even his church will disown him, his wife and family. He ain’t giving up the lord for ‘Murica and democracy. No way.
    Maybe....but the big money (Koch's and Club for Growth) have already stated that they aren't giving tRump a penny. I think that the best play for the GOP is to throw tRump to the wolves because they don't want him anymore.

He might run third party and fuck them up but they likely know that will be his last campaign anyway so they lose if he runs third party and they lose if he's the GOP nominee.

• Options
    Maybe....but the big money (Koch's and Club for Growth) have already stated that they aren't giving tRump a penny. I think that the best play for the GOP is to throw tRump to the wolves because they don't want him anymore.

He might run third party and fuck them up but they likely know that will be his last campaign anyway so they lose if he runs third party and they lose if he's the GOP nominee.
    Two different issues. One is loyalty to POOTWH and the other is loyalty to the party and their concept of, “never admit you were wrong, never blame a fellow repub and never admit defeat.” Testifying before the special counsel will make Pence an enemy of the party and untrustworthy. He wants to run for POTUS in 2024 and he needs the repub party to do so, including Club For Financial Gain and Murdick. Being disloyal gets you banished.

Regarding POOTWH, each and every repub needs that POOTWH base to survive the primaries. Easy enough for Club For Financial Gain or Murdick to disavow POOTWH, they’re not running for office. Deathsantis, Pompouseo, Nikkki and any other repub candidate have to defer and be circumspect in their criticism of POOTWH before and during the primaries until they have the momentum and are clearly ahead in being the party’s nominee. Sununu is young enough and seemingly still has a soul to wait until 2028 by being as critical as he is. He may also be banking on a strong appeal to indies and Raygun dems to make up for losing POOTWH’s base, which will be back to much more manageable levels in 2028 than it is now.

Regardless, the electoral college gives us Deathsantis in 2024 and POOTWH’s base is emboldened as Deathsantis is just a polished version of POOTWH. Dark times ahead.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    If Trump runs and takes away enough votes from any other Republican to have a plurality, they will all get behind him and the money will come rushing in.  The Koch's etc have no moral compass and they will have zero problems funneling all of their money to Trump if his base follows him.  They can't win without Trump's base and if the chips are down they will all come crawling back to trump with bended knees.  Their best chance is Trump vs whomever and hope that Dems and progressives aren't enthusiastic enough to get record turnout again.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    If Trump runs and takes away enough votes from any other Republican to have a plurality, they will all get behind him and the money will come rushing in.  The Koch's etc have no moral compass and they will have zero problems funneling all of their money to Trump if his base follows him.  They can't win without Trump's base and if the chips are down they will all come crawling back to trump with bended knees.  Their best chance is Trump vs whomever and hope that Dems and progressives aren't enthusiastic enough to get record turnout again.
    I think you’re going to see that Koch money be used against POOTWH in the primaries and for alternative candidates. We all know POOTWH won’t spend his own money in a race. Plus, all of the election “talent” will go elsewhere. Nobody but the soulless and 4th string will want to work for POOTWH. His campaign will be like his rallies, SAD!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Disagree...they know he won't win

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Like in the Sununu clip, “I’m not pro-Trump or against Trump”, the spineless candidates will have to appear that they don’t side with Trump and also can’t reject him, otherwise they risk losing the base. What will be hilarious is that Trump will take shits on each one of them and then take delight in watching them squirm because of this dilemma. 
  • Options
    months of negotiations suggest to me he will in fact testify, perhaps not fully but maybe a judge determines what IS within the scope of privilege. Hard pressed to see where subverting the Constitution would fall within Exec Privilege though.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    months of negotiations suggest to me he will in fact testify, perhaps not fully but maybe a judge determines what IS within the scope of privilege. Hard pressed to see where subverting the Constitution would fall within Exec Privilege though.
    With an immunity deal?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    With an immunity deal?
    cant see where it would be needed? nothing in any reporting I've seen suggest Pence was anything but above board in this.

• Options
    static111 said:
    No R will win  nationally without Trump's base.  Why spend any money on a presidential candidate if they are all losers.  Trump isn't gonna get behind anyone else and will take his 30% and go home.  Rs like to win they aren't stupid enough to pretend to have morals when it comes to Trump if it means national elections.  They will talk big now, but come 24 they will be groveling for his support and the votes of his base.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    My last post was one of my few serious posts, please mark it for posterity and come back in election season '24
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    No R will win  nationally without Trump's base.  Why spend any money on a presidential candidate if they are all losers.  Trump isn't gonna get behind anyone else and will take his 30% and go home.  Rs like to win they aren't stupid enough to pretend to have morals when it comes to Trump if it means national elections.  They will talk big now, but come 24 they will be groveling for his support and the votes of his base.
    As it is right now, Trump has a decent chance of winning the nomination. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Exactly.  So anything the Kochs or others say regarding moving on from Trump needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Winning elections are the most important thing for them. If he is the clear front runner all of the republicans supposedly new found morals will go right back out the window.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Exactly.  So anything the Kochs or others say regarding moving on from Trump needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Winning elections are the most important thing for them. If he is the clear front runner all of the republicans supposedly new found morals will go right back out the window.
    Yeah that’s the way I see it playing out if he’s clearly in the lead 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    to regenerate....they know their base is dying. 

• Options

Pence subpoena could set up fight over executive privilege
    By ERIC TUCKER and JILL COLVIN
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The subpoena to former Vice President Mike Pence is a milestone moment in an ongoing Justice Department special counsel investigation. But it doesn't guarantee he's going to be testifying before a grand jury anytime soon.

Pence is the latest official in former President Donald Trump's administration to be subpoenaed as part of the investigation into efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, but the push for Pence's testimony is unique because he's the highest-ranking official known to have been summoned.

The subpoena, the most aggressive step to date taken by special counsel Jack Smith, sets the stage for a potential dispute over executive privilege, creating a dynamic that could test — or at least delay — the Justice Department's ability to get from Pence the testimony it believes it needs.

Representatives for Pence have not said publicly whether he intends to comply with the subpoena or will instead look to try to limit his grand jury appearance or avoid it altogether. Trump, for his part, has not said whether he plans to assert executive privilege to prevent Pence's cooperation. But some legal experts say he faces significant hurdles in succeeding if he tried to do so.

“This will be fairly straightforward because the Department of Justice will be able to make a very compelling showing for the testimony," said W. Neil Eggleston, a former White House counsel in the Obama administration.

Spokespeople for Pence and Smith declined to comment on the subpoena, which a person familiar with the matter said followed back-and-forth negotiations between the two sides. A lawyer for the former vice president did not return emails seeking comment. Pence has been represented by veteran attorney Emmet Flood, who over decades in Washington has navigated other high-profile political figures through executive privilege disputes.

Pence’s interest to investigators is obvious. Despite having only a ceremonial role in overseeing the election, Pence was hectored for weeks by Trump to help him stay in power, with the president falsely insisting that Pence could simply reject the results and send them back to the battleground states he contested.

Some of the Trump loyalists who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 as Pence was presiding over the counting of electoral votes chanted " “Hang Mike Pence!” as the vice president was steered to safety.

Since then, Pence, who is considering launching a 2024 presidential bid against Trump, has distanced himself from the former president, saying last year that “President Trump is wrong” and that “I had no right to overturn the election.”

Despite that criticism, Pence opted against testifying voluntarily before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection and was never subpoenaed to appear. Whether he views cooperation with the grand jury differently is unclear, as is whether he and his lawyers will try to avoid being forced to discuss private conversations with Trump.

In the event he does ultimately testify, a subpoena might give him a degree of political cover, helping him avoid further alienating Trump supporters he may need for his own election bid by allowing him to say that he was compelled to cooperate rather than did so voluntarily.

If he does not wish to comply, he may look for Trump to intervene by invoking executive privilege, a doctrine meant to protect the confidentiality of the Oval Office decision-making process. Such an action could result in closed-door arguments before the D.C. court's chief federal judge, Beryl Howell.

Even then, though, the prospects for success is uncertain at best, in part because the privilege is not absolute and courts have held it can be overcome if the evidence being sought is deemed necessary for a criminal trial or a grand jury proceeding.

The Supreme Court made that clear in a 1974 decision that forced President Richard Nixon to turn over damning Oval Office recordings, saying using the principle to “withhold evidence that is demonstrably relevant in a criminal trial would cut deeply into the guarantee of due process of law and gravely impair the basic function of the court.”

Trump has also been unsuccessful in asserting executive privilege in instances where the current Biden administration disagrees. For instance, the Biden White House repeatedly rejected Trump efforts to use executive privilege to prevent the National Archives and Records Administration from producing presidential records about Jan. 6 to the House committee. The Supreme Court in January 2022 also rebuffed Trump's efforts to withhold the documents.

Other Trump administration officials have already testified before the grand jury, including former White House counsel Pat Cipollone and his top deputy as well as Pence's own chief of staff, Marc Short.

Former Trump administration national security adviser Robert O'Brien has also been subpoenaed by the special counsel as part of the Jan. 6 investigation and a separate probe into the presence of classified documents at Trump's Florida estate, according to a person familiar with the matter who insisted on anonymity to discuss the action.

“It's a little uncomfortable that that evidence is being sought from his vice president. But the law has not generally differentiated among people in a White House," Eggleston said.

Other potential complicating factors include the fact that the episodes investigators presumably want to question Pence about — such as Trump's efforts to influence counting of the votes — don't concern conventional presidential duties likes the ones typically thought to be shielded by executive privilege, said Daniel Farber, a presidential powers expert and Berkeley Law professor.

He also wrote in detail about many of those episodes in a book published last year, “So Help Me God." That includes descriptions of a Trump pressure campaign aimed at getting Pence to reject the election results, as well as numerous conversations ahead of Jan. 6, when Pence says he told Trump that he did not believe he had the power to do what Trump wanted.

“I think there are arguments that Pence can make or the Trump could make,” Farber said. “And of course, you can never 100% predict what the courts will do. But it doesn’t seem like an especially strong argument.”

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    If their base dies there will be no regeneration
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Well apparently Sara Hucksterbee Sanders is the voice of the newly formed anti-woke GOP

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Well apparently Sara Hucksterbee Sanders is the voice of the newly formed anti-woke GOP
    And POOTWH is playing catch up on some of her and Deathsantis’s policies and platform. POOTWH doesn’t have the bully pulpit of a governor’s mansion to make bold pronouncements of outlawing CRT or signing laws against the LGBT community. He’s just got a gaudy party property and a slew of investigations. SAD! They’re moving on without him and see that the future is brighter with POOTWH in the rear view mirror rather than gripping the steering wheel. The leverage they all hold is the eventual power to pardon.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gift article....

Jack Smith, Special Counsel for Trump Inquiries, Steps Up the Pace

Named less than three months ago to oversee investigations into Donald J. Trump’s efforts to hold onto power and his handling of classified documents, the special counsel is moving aggressively.

Jack Smith at The Hague in 2020
    Jack Smith has kept a low profile, making no public appearances and sticking to a long pattern of empowering subordinates rather than interposing himself directly in investigations.Credit...Pool photo by Peter Dejong
    Feb. 12, 2023

Did former President Donald J. Trump consume detailed information about foreign countries while in office? How extensively did he seek information about whether voting machines had been tampered with? Did he indicate he knew he was leaving when his term ended?

Those are among the questions that Justice Department investigators have been directing at witnesses as the special counsel, Jack Smith, takes control of the federal investigations into Mr. Trump’s efforts to reverse his 2020 election loss and his handling of classified documents found in his possession after he left office.

Through witness interviews, subpoenas and other steps, Mr. Smith has been moving aggressively since being named to take over the inquiries nearly three months ago, seeking to make good on his goal of resolving as quickly as possible whether Mr. Trump, still a leading contender for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, should face charges.

Last week, he issued a subpoena to former Vice President Mike Pence, a potentially vital witness to Mr. Trump’s actions and state of mind in the days before the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

continues.....

• Options
    We're getting closer....