Important Information Regarding Your Ten Club Membership

Comments

• Just watched the nightly news...top stories so far have been about people being burdened between the choice of rock band fan club dues or heat.
    You may not consider it a serious dilemma, but others may.  I’m not sure it’s necessary to be sarcastic about it.  
    Let's have someone who's actually coming across this dilemma of being uncertain to give up their membership or heat their home speak for themselves.

Until then, the squeaky-wheeled sky is falling members get their hypothetical dilemmas push ed back with hypothetical news stories.
    I’m going to stop responding to your comments, but I would just leave this debate with agreeing to disagree.  See you down the road.  Cheers 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Don’t really have a problem with this other than my membership renewed at the end of November and I dropped down to digital. If I’d known this was coming I might have hung in at analog for the final issue of Deep, lol.

The only lingering question I have is whether or not international members will get dinged a few extra bucks as we used to on analog. The way it reads it would seem everyone will be charged $35US.

#firstworldproblems

One idea: Contact 10C and see if they can retroactively make you analog for 2022. I don't see why they couldn't, considering the stuff won't ship until who knows when.

If not, I'm sure you'll be able to find a 2022 DEEP somewhere. Married couples might only need one, as people who entered their kids for memberships.

And that's a good point with the extra money. It was $50 USD for international analog members. I suspect it'll be $35 USD and then they'll (maybe) get all of us on the shipping charges for the items.
    Yeah, I figure if I really want a Deep I’ll be able to track down a copy, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Are you allowed to gift others the $10 bootleg code? I have no use for it. And I’m not a fan at all of the price increase. If I wanted the other stuff, I would just buy it on my own
  • LetMySpiritPassLetMySpiritPass Lakewood Colorado Posts: 195
    edited December 2022
    If they're going to charge more for the annual shirts, they better come up with some better and cooler ideas. They've been duds for years now.

Post edited by LetMySpiritPass on
  • Are you allowed to gift others the $10 bootleg code? I have no use for it. And I’m not a fan at all of the price increase. If I wanted the other stuff, I would just buy it on my own

I don't believe so.

You really have limited options here:
    1) Give someone your 10C password.

2) Download the show for them and then send them a copy, which is technically against the rules since we're not supposed to trade shows which are for sale.

3) Eat the code and do nothing.

4) Other
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Are you allowed to gift others the $10 bootleg code? I have no use for it. And I’m not a fan at all of the price increase. If I wanted the other stuff, I would just buy it on my own

I don't believe so.

You really have limited options here:
    1) Give someone your 10C password.

2) Download the show for them and then send them a copy, which is technically against the rules since we're not supposed to trade shows which are for sale.

3) Eat the code and do nothing.

4) Other

Would be cool if 10 would send us bootleg cards.  I don't do downloads, or flac (and only CDs when something I want is not on vinyl), but if I they were to send download cards I would give them to friends who cared.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    My Digital membership just renewed and it was $20 + $4 sales tax plus if you are outside of the US you often have a fee for it being a different currency. So it probably cost me around $26-$27.

I'm going to guess that next year its going to cost me around $42. Probably just have to consider whether or not the membership perks are enough to justify the money more than in previous years.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    I suspect there’s lots of “extra” memberships just for ticket lotteries. Take their money 10c. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    This is a tough one for me. I mean sure $35 USD a year isn't that much. Although it works out to about $47 Canadian dollars. And the band only comes to my city maybe every 4-5 years. $235 in my pocket could be put towards at least one really good ticket. Plus for the last few Ottawa shows the floor has been general admission, so it's not like having a low membership number would get me closer if I wanted those tickets. 
    I renew in March so maybe I will try it one year and see if it is worth it.

Now a nice benefit for membership would be free shipping at the Ten Club store.
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    I've had mine for so long and have such a low number, I don't see cancelling. My main question is are they still doing auto-renewal or do I have to do anything different. I got tired of reading the pissing matches and didn't see that info in the thread. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    No more DEEP....not that it was very timely these last few decades but it's the end of a thing...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    The end of annual vinyl singles and now DEEP magazine is a bummer. These were two things I loved about 10c membership. 
  • jeffgqjeffgq Troy, 'Bama Posts: 97
    I don't even really like $20 every March..I'm sure as hell not going to like $35..$20 wasnt bad. That said, being a Member since 2003, I REALLY dont want to give up my Senority number at this point. I've scored some choice tickets over the years AND the Tenclub doesnt deal with the worst company in the HISTORY of modern business: Ticketmaster...and they're "Resell" Program BS..which is nothing but scalping legally..so $35 it is..Whatevs!!
    August 23rd, 1998 - Detroit (Palace of Auburn Hills)
    October 7th, 2000 - Detroit (Palace of Auburn Hills)
    April 11th, 2003 - West Palm Beach (Sound Advice Amp.)
    October 8th, 2004 - Kissimmee (Silver Spurs Arena)
    June 11th, 2008 - West Palm Beach (Cruzan Amp.)
    November 30th, 2012 - Eddie Solo - Fort Lauderdale (Broward Center for the Performing Arts)
    April 8th, 2016 - Fort Lauderdale (BB&T Center)
    August 18th, 2018 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I dig this. I switched to digital a few years back. I don’t mind the increase & getting a bootleg. I usually buy at least one a year anyway, so now it’s just one transaction.
    You already got a bootleg code for a free download as a digital member. They are on your account page if you haven’t used them. 
    You only get a bootleg code with Analog level. 
  • jeffgq said:
    I don't even really like $20 every March..I'm sure as hell not going to like $35..$20 wasnt bad. That said, being a Member since 2003, I REALLY dont want to give up my Senority number at this point. I've scored some choice tickets over the years AND the Tenclub doesnt deal with the worst company in the HISTORY of modern business: Ticketmaster...and they're "Resell" Program BS..which is nothing but scalping legally..so $35 it is..Whatevs!!
    Pretty sure they deal with TM now.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    $35 US is over $50 Australian.

No holiday single. No DEEP magazine.

They haven’t toured here since a few festivals in January 2014 so the 'Priority Ticketing' isn't exactly a benefit.

I still have download codes from 2018 and 2019 that I haven't used yet - mainly because they haven't toured here in that time.

'Contest Eligibility'
    will continue to be a joke for as long as the contests are US-only.

As others have already mentioned, any discounts on membership items and exclusive merchandise will be cancelled out by the international shipping costs. I know there isn't much 10C can do there, but charging us for the opportunity to give them more money is another backwards benefit.

I'll basically be paying more just to be able to access the forum and complain about having to pay more to do it!

Will I stick around? Yeah, probably. But is it worth $50AUD just to post on a forum?..
    I spend more time on this site than I should admit, I enjoy the interactions and I would miss the place if I left. FOMO!!
    So I guess this is just another 'pissing and moaning' post before I accept it and move on.
    Oh well.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:

They haven’t toured here since a few festivals in January 2014 so the 'Priority Ticketing' isn't exactly a benefit.

I still have download codes from 2018 and 2019 that I haven't used yet - mainly because they haven't toured here in that time.

'Contest Eligibility'

As others have already mentioned, any discounts on membership items and exclusive merchandise will be cancelled out by the international shipping costs. I know there isn't much 10C can do there, but charging us for the opportunity to give them more money is another backwards benefit.

I'll basically be paying more just to be able to access the forum and complain about having to pay more to do it!

Will I stick around? Yeah, probably. But is it worth $50AUD just to post on a forum?..
    I spend more time on this site than I should admit, I enjoy the interactions and I would miss the place if I left. FOMO!!
    So I guess this is just another 'pissing and moaning' post before I accept it and move on.
    Oh well.

Glad your sticking around!  But bummer about the cost.  Ouch! 
    I hope 10 C is listening and can explain or justify the "logic" of higher cost, fewer benefits.  The whole thing feels like a promo for the band's rather pricey concerts- great for those in a position to take advantage, not very enticing for the rest of us.  Bummer!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2022
    I've always seen it as "I love this band" support/tax and then the DEEP magazine as a nice bonus. I would be in it even without the tickets. And I like that some go to charity.

It does feel like a fanclub bonus off a none-active band now though. Doesn't have it in them (band/club) to fill up a fanclub magazine or get a single out anymore. There were some great nuggets in DEEP through the years.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 132
    goldrush said:

'Contest Eligibility'

Oh well.

I am also in Australia,

I have kept my Analog membership for the t-shirt - I saw it as paying for an fan club only t-shirt.  I really like the 2021 and 2022 shirts and wear them often.  I was looking forward to this years offering!

I first joined in 1995, forgot to rejoin in 1998 and have been a member every year since 1999.  I am happy to pay the fee as a way of supporting the band and the inclusions were a nice bonus.

I am curious what the members only merch item and discount is and am very interested to see if it is worth it.

But seniority means nothing now that they haven't toured to Oz for a very long time.  I couldn't even score tickets through the 10c for Ed tickets when he toured twice here.

At the moment I am sticking around because of how long I have been a member and like I said above, I feel like it supports the band. 

Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Yes it’s only fifteen bucks, less than the cost of a pizza pie.

But the more I think about it, this is very bizarre coming from them specifically. They rallied fiercely against ticket fees way back, now they are nearly doubling theirs ( for the many fans that join for show access), without any recent track record of playing a consistent amount of shows.

They have made it no secret they are not in love with touring. They tour less than their peers. They haven’t done a reasonable USA tour, their home country, in ten years. And now the endless rumors are maybe a few US shows here and there next year, maybe.  they trained their fans to not expect anything close to a full US tour.

After four years of almost no touring, two thanks to Covid, they performed a grand total of 35 or so shows, with two, that’s two, within a thousand miles of the most populated region of their fan base, that has a population exceeding Canada plus Australia combined. All this is well within their rights, even with that, I am probably staying because they are that good, but considering they were the poster children for excessive fees, this is a head scratcher.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Yes it’s only fifteen bucks, less than the cost of a pizza pie.

But the more I think about it, this is very bizarre coming from them specifically. They rallied fiercely against ticket fees way back, now they are nearly doubling theirs ( for the many fans that join for show access), without any recent track record of playing a consistent amount of shows.

They have made it no secret they are not in love with touring. They tour less than their peers. They haven’t done a reasonable USA tour, their home country, in ten years. And now the endless rumors are maybe a few US shows here and there next year, maybe.  they trained their fans to not expect anything close to a full US tour.

After four years of almost no touring, two thanks to Covid, they performed a grand total of 35 or so shows, with two, that’s two, within a thousand miles of the most populated region of their fan base, that has a population exceeding Canada plus Australia combined. All this is well within their rights, even with that, I am probably staying because they are that good, but considering they were the poster children for excessive fees, this is a head scratcher.
    Can't blame them.  Everyone starts setting themselves up for retirement eventually.  As you said, they tour what I would say is significantly less than their peers.  The merch end of things has often surpassed the music and the live act.  Regardless of what they once were or represented, the last 6 years or so has shown what direction this band will likely go, and very little of which has to do with covid.  I think the slow-down was planned well before Covid hit.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I imagine the lion's share of membership dues goes to 10c operating costs. Unlikely the band is seeing many of those dollars. Their money is coming from the merch. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited December 2022
    lets be real..the most i,portant benefit is 10c tickets..
    and  the mail problem isnt the 20 or 35 dolllars..
    they dont tour plenty as fans desire and for sure not in alot or most  countries/continents.states etc 
    thats the  problem,,
    if u are from australia .South america,africa ,asia ,most than half europe countries and half of usa states and half areas of canada and u arent merch freak those 20 or 35 dollars feels much or worthless 
    thats the problem..
    as i said i dont mind to pay,ill always support the band by be a member ,i really dont care for the benefits ,they dont play in  my country or somewhere close anyway so i travel..
    but i understand the sceptisism and why people dont like this 
    especially when things like analog shirt,deep magazine and single vinyl was amongst the favorite things members loved over the years 
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    That's double the price (and in the uk, we get taxed on it for some reason whilst other Europeans don't) for effectively nothing more. If we wanted more we could've got analog already.

Discount on buying more stuff is not a discount if you were not already buying it (and we get hammered with shipping costs)

With the ticket (the only thing most of us care about) prices already so high, this feels really unwarranted.

My seniority (2002) has not been of any use ever, being too high in the US and meaningless in Europe.. 

Our wages have not doubled in a year (or 10!)

• Do people think Pearl Jam and the 10Cs cost to operate hasn't been impacted by inflation like literally everything else?
  • There’s no way that they are increasing the membership price by 75% because of operating costs of the ten club.  Not a chance that is the case.  None.  

• dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    no t shirt now thats pretty crap
    danny d
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    If anything, I'd expect people with multiple memberships in their families may drop an account, but the math does work out for those who see a show a year and download the boot. With more tickets per show reserved for 10c and still (relatively) lower ticket prices than others, the benefits work out... as long as they keep the touring machine rolling along. 

While I'm not against chipping an extra $5 for Vitalogy Foundation, I wish they got more creative in booking an annual 10c-only show to raise the proceeds. 
  • There’s no way that they are increasing the membership price by 75% because of operating costs of the ten club.  Not a chance that is the case.  None.  
    Digital Membership has been $20 for how long... 10 years or so? Since 2012? 

Sure, a 75% increase on its face seems insane, but being the first since 2012, it doesn't seem all that crazy to me, especially considering how much things have changed over the last several years. 

It's a $15 price hike, after 10 or 11 years of firm pricing... It doesn't seem all that bad or egregious from that perspective. 
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    JimmyV said:
    I imagine the lion's share of membership dues goes to 10c operating costs. Unlikely the band is seeing many of those dollars. Their money is coming from the merch. 
    There is a flip side to that though. Even without the membership fees, having a list of your most hardcore fans, along with their addresses, their ticket and merch buying habits, and how far they will travel to see a show is incredibly valuable. There is a reason that just about every grocery store has a frequent shopper card that gives you discounts for free. So not only is the band getting, a now increased, membership fee from members, but they also get a bunch of valuable data.