Important Information Regarding Your Ten Club Membership

Comments

• This is like PJ's version of the Jelly of the Month Club 

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Tbh, if the cost increase is too much for anyone, and you're only in it for the tickets, I would drop it no questions asked.  With how many tickets come available on Fan 2 Fan within a week of show, you'll probably end up with better seats than you would have gotten with your number anyway.  The only exception is MSG, and 10c odds are usually at like 3% anyway.

The last 10C Destination event was 11 years ago (PJ20) and theres no signs of there ever being a show worth having 10c FOMO again

Not if you live in the USA east of the Mississippi 
    goblues82 said:
    This is a 75% increase for most people at a time when a lot of folks are struggling.  I’m likely to keep it anyway but it’s a pretty tone deaf move.  
    Clutch those pearls. It’s an extra 4 cents a day. If you can’t afford it, I already know there’s no way you’re buying the concert tickets which is the main benefit that if they had be the ONLY benefit from the start and charged $100 a year and just dropped it to $95 you’d be all in.

It’s a strange time to make the minimum commitment to enter  ticket lotteries now $35 per year, with many of us in cold climates looking at spending thousands of dollars more to heat our residences. Yes it’s only a $15 increase, but considering it’s the beginning of winter and many of us are looking at historic never before seen price increases just to stop us from living in the cold.

I get the logic, $10 for the download, $5 for charity, plus access to merch and videos…but…if I wanted a download or merch, I’d just buy it. Why must we be locked into a fan club to get it?

Since their anger at TM when they were young men (yes there is plenty to be angry at TM about) they have come up with a unique and complex system just to see them live. Scalping stinks, but this ticket eco system is not fun, and it locks out the same fans from the best seats over and over again. So they’ve basically created a system that gets a similarly painful lack of premium access result as the scalper/TM system.

In the northeast USA, membership is pretty much a must if fans want to enjoy a live show. (In the rare instances they play more than four shows in the most densely populated portion of their fan base).

Which brings to the final point, they seem to be winding down getting close to their sixties, with many of the pre covid years featuring nearly zero shows, and nothing on the horizon so far. Hopefully this new cost shows they are committed to touring, but that seems unlikely as they haven’t done a full/normal US tour in ten years.
  • Just watched the nightly news...top stories so far have been about people being burdened between the choice of rock band fan club dues or heat.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I've been analog all along, so this will not change much for me. I guess just the loss of the annual 10C t-shirt. Which I do wear a lot.... I'm wearing the 2019 right now actually, heh.

And regarding the suggestions for people to quit the fan club if they only want ticket access. I'd be really careful with taking that suggestion. Most of us have spent a lot time building up our seniority for tickets But most important - there's no guarantee this resell F2F stuff will last forever. If they ever go back the old system, people would be kicking themselves for letting their memberships lapse.
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    I moved to digital when they stopped producing the 10c single. I used the download codes when I was analogue but only because they were there. It’s hard to be enthusiastic about being charged more for something that I could have bought if I wanted but have chosen not too for the past few years. I don’t see it as a benefit necessarily. 

As an international fan the shipping costs have been steep for a long time (not just 10c) and I can’t see myself buying much in the way of merch again even if it is deeply discounted.The $5 to charity is fine with me. I’m still here for the tickets Or any random vinyl/music that is available. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    goblues82 said:
    brianlux said:
    sr-71 said:
    What ist going on for 2023?
    Does everybody get a payrise of 75%?

Well you're getting a bootleg with it which has a market value of $10 which puts the membership allocation at $25. 

Then membership fees haven't increased since 2011.

$20 in 2011 is worth $26.50 today. So in comparison you're saving $1.50 on the deal.

There's also a $5 donation to Vitalogy.

$35 minus $10 minus $5 =

$20.

My wife and I already tithe our income to social and environmental organizations that we carefully scrutinize to insure as best as possible that our dollars are doing the most they can to make a difference i this world.  I don't need a rock band site to make that kind of decision for me. 
    😂🤣🤪 it’s an extra 4 cents a day. If you can’t come up with $15 extra a year, let me know and I’ll help you set up a go fund me.

You missed obviously missed my point... but the "go fund me" part was funny.  :lol:
    As for whatever my number is and how it might affect you, relax.  I am unable to do shows any more due to hearing issues.  Take my spot and have a blast.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    edited December 2022

This is like PJ's version of the Jelly of the Month Club 

This^^ but no jelly (jam)
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    brianlux said:
    JimmyV said:
    This is fine. My membership increases $15 in price, but I get $10 to use when buying boots. Everything is all good as long as they keep touring and playing shows. 

For those of us who don't buy more stuff and don't do downloads is simply another case of high inflation and the only choice is to pay up or quit. 
    Hmmm.  Maybe time to say adios. 
    This sucks.
    I'll miss you if you go. 
  • It would be great, if 10c could address some of the issues for European fans.

- will they switch to single and transferable tickets for the next Euro tour like they did for the last US tour?
    - will they start a fully equipped Euro store, if possible in the EU, to decrease import costs for fans outside the UK?

would make my decision whether I suck the extra 15 usd much easier
  • Living in Portugal where Pearl Jam don't often come and when they do it's usually to play festivals for which there are no 10C tickets it's becoming harder to justify the membership cost...
    I don't wanna think, I wanna feel
  • Just watched the nightly news...top stories so far have been about people being burdened between the choice of rock band fan club dues or heat.
    You may not consider it a serious dilemma, but others may.  I’m not sure it’s necessary to be sarcastic about it.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • DW183354DW183354 NYC Posts: 124
    I don't have a complaint at all, it is what it is. I've been lucky with tickets and ultimately we all have the choice to do what we want, as does the band. 

However, I will say that I would have much preferred a situation where the cost (or a specific tier) was higher and it guaranteed a DEEP every year, printed. Fill it with art or thoughts. Something to do when you're not making music or touring. It could be a way to enlighten us to causes or a way to just start conversations. I wouldn't mind at all these guys giving us material that isn't related to PJ... shit I'd read an entire book by Jeff about hardcore and punk, happily. 

2cents. xo 
    Just watched the nightly news...top stories so far have been about people being burdened between the choice of rock band fan club dues or heat.

They made their point about excessive concert fees when they were young, now imposing  a nearly doubling of what  is basically a lottery entrance fee. This was their fight back then, not mine. If it’s funny now, why wasn’t it funny in 1995?

Cost of heat is certainly a top news story, if you haven’t been up to date,

“As the U.S. heads into winter, home heating oil prices continue to hover near record highs. Colder than expected winter weather, a global oil supply crunch and continued pandemic supply chain issues are delivering sticker shock energy bills for homeowners across the U.S.. 

The Energy Information Administration recently released its Winter Fuels Outlook, in which it projects American households will pay more this winter to heat their homes than they did last year. In its “base case” scenario, EIA says prices will increase for all four of the main energy types used to heat American homes: 25% more for natural gas; 45% more for heating oil…”

Maybe that’s funny to some, maybe not. What is curious is PJs been slowing down the last decade, haven’t done a full US tour in ten years. I get the ten bucks for the download, but if fans want a download they’d get one. Essentially the 35 is an annual registration fee for concert tickets, with a lottery that is weighted in the same manner every time giving the same fans the worst access. The system does a good job mimicking the cons against scalping- difficult access to the best seats.

For as often as they play their most densely populated fan base region in their home country, the $35 annual minimum makes their concert tickets not so cheap. Curious decision based on their touring the past ten years.

• deweildeweil Posts: 245
    Analog used to be $40 for a $10 download code, single, DEEP magazine, T shirt (and free shipping) plus access to tickets, site, etc. 
    Digital used to be $20 for a $10 download code, DEEP mag PDF, access to tickets, site etc. 

The new one is $35 for a $10 download code, $5 to a charity of their choosing, access to tickets, site, merch ($$), videos

There's no question this is a bad deal. It's almost as good as Analog without the single or DEEP but even then, you still got the shirt, so no. 

I wonder how many Analogs moved to Digital...I bet a lot, so they thought...hmm, how can we bring those people back? Let's offer them merch at discounts (meh), merch non-members can't get (double meh), and videos (triple meh...i couldn't even be bothered to watch the free streams of the shows they offered us this year). 

I think I'm a Sept renewal...not sure what I'll do, now that I don't live in NYC, so MSG isn't really an option for me. It was bad enough paying $20 for all those years without shows or just the stadium shows I skipped because stadiums suck. Now I can just get a fan2fan ticket week of for the Bay area and call it a day. The last show I saw was on the beach and I got in for free. I think digital members should've been grandfathered in for a year or something. They're just not offering anything better for the big price hike. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    There is no download code with a Digital membership. I don't know where people are getting that from.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited December 2022
    Makes sense. I don't know why DEEP was being made but delayed to never delivered for so long. The single fizzled out. A  t-shirt that didn't garner much excitement from fans (with obviously some exceptions). 

I take it as granted that these membership items and such, with you charging the same for international members - will be available from a European store @Rubysdad, @Santos L. Halper going forward? Or will we be getting a lower price?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Loujoe said:
    brianlux said:
    JimmyV said:
    This is fine. My membership increases $15 in price, but I get $10 to use when buying boots. Everything is all good as long as they keep touring and playing shows. 

For those of us who don't buy more stuff and don't do downloads is simply another case of high inflation and the only choice is to pay up or quit. 
    Hmmm.  Maybe time to say adios. 
    This sucks.
    I'll miss you if you go. 

No worries, Loujoe.  I updated my auto-pay.  There are too many good folks like you here and too many discussions of interest here for me to leave... but I'm not paying the price gouging rate without being my usual forthright self in exercising my right to a little minor protest.  I'll pay the bucks, get over it, and keep on following what's new here.  At this point, with where this band is at for now, the rest of the "benefits" of my membership have zero meaning for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

You may not consider it a serious dilemma, but others may.  I’m not sure it’s necessary to be sarcastic about it.  
    Let's have someone who's actually coming across this dilemma of being uncertain to give up their membership or heat their home speak for themselves.

Until then, the squeaky-wheeled sky is falling members get their hypothetical dilemmas push ed back with hypothetical news stories.
    Just watched the nightly news...top stories so far have been about people being burdened between the choice of rock band fan club dues or heat.
    Let's have someone who's actually coming across this dilemma of being uncertain to give up their membership or heat their home speak for themselves.

Until then, the squeaky-wheeled sky is falling members get their hypothetical dilemmas push ed back with hypothetical news stories.

I seriously doubt that for very few if any who posts here, the difference of plus or minus $15 is going to make or break their ability to pay their heating bill or whatever.  But that's not the point of those here who object to price gouging.  And you indicated that there are more serious issues going on in the world.  Of course there are!  And we talk a lot about them in AMT which you seldom visit. But that too misses the point.
    Jesus, man, any excuse to ridicule and be sarcastic? 

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Price gouging? Really?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Jesus, man, any excuse to ridicule and be sarcastic? 
    Yup, been reading and inspired by Santa's L Halper posts lately.
  • If there is any bright side to this for anyone, it is for those with December renewals as we'll get all the benefits for the same price for a year.  Sucks most for those who auto renew in January.  Now that I've moved from California to Florida though, I question if PJ will ever play another show here.  The chances aren't good.

And if you renew in March, you would have paid $20 or $40 from March 2022 to March 2023.

If it is a benefit, it's negligible.

**Thinks about it**

I guess there could be a weird loophole where someone pays $20 for the analog membership and gets the $35 benefits. Yeah ...that is kind of weird.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Personally, I wish they would have left the $10 download out of it.

$25 would have been a lot better, especially for people who don't download. If you want the download, you're spending the $10 anyway, right?

Maybe the logic is that people who go to the show can get a copy of that show "for free." Who knows.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited December 2022
    $15 is a pizza, and in this case it comes with a $10 coupon. The criticisms here are a little strong. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,946
    JimmyV said:
    $15 is a pizza, and in this case it comes with a $10 coupon. The criticisms here are a little strong. 
    I think they're fair.  How many people would buy the membership if it didn't have the ticket benefit, and how many people who renew it year in/year out if seats weren't assigned on seniority (with the Metallica and U2 fan clubs I used to dip in and out to only use them for the ticketing benefits). 

If PJ stopped touring, would I still buy the 10c membership... not so sure.  I think for many people the benefit is in ticket presales, the rest is kind of fluff.

I feel like the old system hit the sweet spot. $20 for people that just wanted access to tickets, and $40 for people who wanted more.   All the people that decided they didn't want the more, just got told they did :)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited December 2022
    Personally, I wish they would have left the $10 download out of it.

$25 would have been a lot better, especially for people who don't download. If you want the download, you're spending the $10 anyway, right?

Maybe the logic is that people who go to the show can get a copy of that show "for free." Who knows.
    I think it is more about them not loosing any money on including it. Many people won't download anything, or wouldn't have bought a bootleg  otheriwse so they make 10 bucks from people they wouldn't have made money on from bootlegs.

The inclusion of a bootleg isn't about offering a perk, it is about making money and having an argument (that doesn't set them back) for the higher price point. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Don’t really have a problem with this other than my membership renewed at the end of November and I dropped down to digital. If I’d known this was coming I might have hung in at analog for the final issue of Deep, lol.

The only lingering question I have is whether or not international members will get dinged a few extra bucks as we used to on analog. The way it reads it would seem everyone will be charged $35US.

#firstworldproblems
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Zod said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think they're fair.  How many people would buy the membership if it didn't have the ticket benefit, and how many people who renew it year in/year out if seats weren't assigned on seniority (with the Metallica and U2 fan clubs I used to dip in and out to only use them for the ticketing benefits). 

If PJ stopped touring, would I still buy the 10c membership... not so sure.  I think for many people the benefit is in ticket presales, the rest is kind of fluff.

I feel like the old system hit the sweet spot. $20 for people that just wanted access to tickets, and $40 for people who wanted more.   All the people that decided they didn't want the more, just got told they did :)

PJ does it the best by encouraging people to stick in it for the long haul.

It amazes me that other fan clubs allow fans to join up AFTER the tour is announced and be eligible for the same stuff (or even better seats) as people who have been there since the start.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited December 2022
    Don’t really have a problem with this other than my membership renewed at the end of November and I dropped down to digital. If I’d known this was coming I might have hung in at analog for the final issue of Deep, lol.

The only lingering question I have is whether or not international members will get dinged a few extra bucks as we used to on analog. The way it reads it would seem everyone will be charged $35US.

#firstworldproblems

One idea: Contact 10C and see if they can retroactively make you analog for 2022. I don't see why they couldn't, considering the stuff won't ship until who knows when.

If not, I'm sure you'll be able to find a 2022 DEEP somewhere. Married couples might only need one, as people who entered their kids for memberships.

And that's a good point with the extra money. It was $50 USD for international analog members. I suspect it'll be $35 USD and then they'll (maybe) get all of us on the shipping charges for the items.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on