****Official Metallica thread****

Comments

• This Moscow show is INTENSE! What a great sounding recording too! Lars drums are thundering! 
    Yes it is. I just dropped $150 for a copy from someone who broke up a box set. It was the only thing in the box that I wanted.
    Wow! Was going to offer you mine once my SDE box gets here today, but I'll probably hang on to it now.
    Killer show at Metro last night.  Crazy to see them in that tiny venue.  PJ at The Vic is the only show I've ever been shut out of, but been lucky to see Foo Fighters and QOTSA play Lolla aftershows at Metro and Soundgarden at The Vic, and this was right up there.  Feel very fortunate.

Now that I'm dead needs to be played at every show...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I've also been enjoying the black album tour videos they've been streaming the past few weeks (I think I missed the first one :(  )
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2021
    anyone go to this in 98? I didn't, but what a line up.
    Thread integrity, I saw Metallica once on justice tour. They were great, but I'm sure a smaller GA show would be sick. Thrash/mosh pit a must.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    edited December 2021
    edit: sold
    Post edited by NSL on
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2021

wanted folks opinions on the later catalog to include load, reload, st anger , death magic and hardwired....

was late to the party to begin with entering with one playing nonstop on mtv  then the black album not giving due consideration  to the first 3 (since been corrected).

was dismissive of the later works based on fan criticisms of load....

so, what say you?

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I take Load and Reload as albums from a different band. Good solid hard rock albums, but don't really stack up against the old stuff. Mind you they are slack, bluesy albums in Eb. St Anger I just don't get. I have the DVD so can listen to the non-hubcap version but it seems like their heads were still all over the place and they were trying to be heavy for heavy's sake. Death Magnetic and Hardwired were great returns to form even if I didn't dig everything. Some of those songs are my favourites of any Metallica era. Only gripe is Rubin didn't get Lars to play with a click on DM. He needs one.

I don't talk about Lulu.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • NSL said:
    Anybody looking for tickets for the Friday night SF show this weekend?  Tickets can finally be transferred.  Section 215 row 1 (2 seats).  Face was $370 for the pair but can take offers.  Can transfer via TM
    God I would love to go to this...
  • Load has it's moments.  Until it Sleeps and Hero of the Day are great.  Reload, not so much.

St Anger would be great if it didn't have that Metallic drum.  The recording of that album sucks too.  The Highs are too damn high and was made to be played out of someones laptop shitty speakers.  A remaster of this would do it a world of justice.

Have never listened to Death Magnetic...

HardWired is Brilliant.  So many good songs on that album.  THIS is what Metallica is, they can stop searching now.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited December 2021
    Load has it's moments.  Until it Sleeps and Hero of the Day are great.  Reload, not so much.

St Anger would be great if it didn't have that Metallic drum.  The recording of that album sucks too.  The Highs are too damn high and was made to be played out of someones laptop shitty speakers.  A remaster of this would do it a world of justice.

HardWired is Brilliant.  So many good songs on that album.  THIS is what Metallica is, they can stop searching now.
    Oh dude, give Death Magnetic a listen. It was definitely a step in the direction of Hardwired. All Nightmare Long and That Was Just Your Life are my two favorites on the album. 

As for ReLoad, I'm not the biggest fan either, but the singes Fuel and Memory Remains are good enough for me, and I've always loved the bassline in Devil's Dance. 

I think St. Anger would be more listenable without the metallic drum, but not great. Also, if they refused to remix And Justice For All, I can't see them ever doing it for St. Anger. But ya never know. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Load has it's moments.  Until it Sleeps and Hero of the Day are great.  Reload, not so much.

Oh dude, give Death Magnetic a listen. It was definitely a step in the direction of Hardwired. All Nightmare Long and That Was Just Your Life are my two favorites on the album. 

As for ReLoad, I'm not the biggest fan either, but the singes Fuel and Memory Remains are good enough for me, and I've always loved the bassline in Devil's Dance. 

I think St. Anger would be more listenable without the metallic drum, but not great. Also, if they refused to remix And Justice For All, I can't see them ever doing it for St. Anger. But ya never know. 
    On reload, Fuel and Memory are the two songs that I really can't stand by them...  That little break on the chorus of fuel had potential but then the song makes a hard left into a wall...

Music critics and fans alike have complained since it was made about the way St was recorded.  They very much need to relook at that album...

OK on Death.  I'll give it a go.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited December 2021
    Load/Reload it seemed to me like they were really attempting to draw in the alternative crowd. it seemed so contrived to me. especially with the image; the eye liner, tattoos, etc. just seemed odd. but I actually dug Load. Reload just seemed like castoffs of Load. St Anger is fucking awesome. lol. I know I'm in the minority. I just love how raw it sounds. but as JT said, yes, I actually like the dvd better than the cd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I like Load quite a bit. Has some great songs. I liked Hardwired as well. Reload was ok & I couldn't get into St. Anger at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    I like Load quite a bit. Has some great songs. I liked Hardwired as well. Reload was ok & I couldn't get into St. Anger at all.
    the sound, or the songwriting?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 said:
    the sound, or the songwriting?
    Honestly, maybe both...but more the sound. I do agree that the DVD sounded MUCH better than the cd. It's been a long time since I listened to the album, so I may put it on later today to see if my opinion has changed at all.

For the record, my favorite songs on Load are Bleeding Me & Wasting My Hate
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Live stream is on

Lars looks winded...

• Have never listened to Death Magnetic...

cyanide is cool on the live album. the soundtrack to the film.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • @crookedcross
    Verdict?  You gonna share w us?
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited December 2021
    Idk whose idea the DJ opener was but it was not a good one. It kinda set the fans in the wrong mood instead of warming us up. Everybody around me was complaining instead etc. Also, the videos in between songs kinda killed the momentum. You have 20K fans going ape shit, why put it to a screeching hault with a montage and there was one every 2-3 songs. Those were club only shows, we all know how you got here, we've seen those pictures and clips. Let's keep the momentum and headbanging going. Don't wanna be a snob, but I left N1 holding on to Fixxxer being played for the first time ever, because it was probably the worst Metallica show I've been to. N1 had a lot of audio issues. 5 songs into N2 and it already blew N1 out of the water. Sound, energy, etc. Sprinkled with rarities and they played Bleeding Me. Overall, it was a great weekend especially since these were first shows in 2 years and I was only able to go because the stars aligned. Only major complaint I have is they played for less than 2 hrs; wish they played for longer. Everything else I mentioned are minor.

Side note: The Wedding Band show at the Fillmore after N1 was amazing. 
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited January 2022
    Thoughts on seeing Metallica for the first time at Boston Calling from you guys you have seen them recently. I have never seen them before and ok with the hits but would I be much better off waiting for an arena show to see them or is a short fest set still a good idea?

I just looked at their last years worth of sets and am pretty excited now for the show. Seems like they play 16 songs roughly which is not bad at all and varied each time.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Thompson172000Thompson172000 Ontario, Canada Posts: 32
    edited February 2022
    Hey all. Looking to grab some tickets for the Metallica concert in Buffalo. Pre sale is on Monday. Wondering if anyone here is a fan club legacy member and if they don’t plan on buying tickets, they’d be willing to spare they’re presale code. Thank you! Send me a PM if you have a code. Would be greatly appreciated. 
    Post edited by Thompson172000 on
    PJNB said:
    Thoughts on seeing Metallica for the first time at Boston Calling from you guys you have seen them recently. I have never seen them before and ok with the hits but would I be much better off waiting for an arena show to see them or is a short fest set still a good idea?

I just looked at their last years worth of sets and am pretty excited now for the show. Seems like they play 16 songs roughly which is not bad at all and varied each time.
    Do banks get that short of sets for festivals anymore? When we were younger it was the case because the bill would be stacked with several bands that could headline.    Now a days it's usually a bunch of smaller bands with one big headliner.   It seems that newer festivals often allocate more time due to only have 1 big band per day.  Would the set really get cut that much shorter?

I'd say go.  You never know what happens in the future. When you've got a chance to see a band you've never seen, do it while you can.  At worse you go see them a 2nd time some day :)
    this is hilarious: (back of the St Anger Live Rarities 45)

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    God that snare
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I keep hoping they'll put that Acoustic streaming show they did during covid on vinyl.    I have the first one on vinyl, but that 2nd one I enjoy a lot more.   I removed all the talking between the songs and listen to it all the time.   I hope they put it on vinyl one day :)
  • Asked this on the other thread.  Anybody get their Record Club albums yet?  I opted for the four at once but can't find a receipt.  I might have done PP?
  • joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    Asked this on the other thread.  Anybody get their Record Club albums yet?  I opted for the four at once but can't find a receipt.  I might have done PP?
    I opted for all 4 at once as well, I believe they just released 3 of 4 a couple weeks ago so I'm guessing it may be a couple months or so?
  • joe159 said:
    Asked this on the other thread.  Anybody get their Record Club albums yet?  I opted for the four at once but can't find a receipt.  I might have done PP?
    I opted for all 4 at once as well, I believe they just released 3 of 4 a couple weeks ago so I'm guessing it may be a couple months or so?
    OK Thanks.  I want to make sure I sign up for the yearly package.