Options

*** Melbourne 1 Fanviews Here 13/11/06 ***

124»

Comments

• Options
    1995: Milwaukee/Summerfest 1; 1998: Indianapolis, Greenville, Knoxville; 2000: Lisbon, London 1 & 2, Detroit, Alpine Valley, Chicago; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Summerfest 1 & 2 (w/ Tom Petty), Sydney 1 & 3, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3; 2007: The Vic, Lollapalooza
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    jesse wrote:
    obviosly some people here spent more time judging the crowd than enjoying the show themselves, maybe if they focused on the show instead of judging their surroundings the crowd would have met their expectations stop complaining and join in next time because everyone around me was going off

well i'm a serial crowd complainer, but i hardly stand there with a sour expression and go "oh this is shit". did you see a guy on his chair, waving his arms at the crowd to try and pump them up, in between going crazy for the band? well that was me. but yeah, even i think to myself, "just enjoy the show and don't worry", and i think i've struck a happy compromise.

besides, melbourne 2 was brilliant.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    ooba Fox wrote:
    I couldn't believe They played 'Dead Man' when he said that all the crowd was quiet and I shouted ' Fuck yeah' and people were looking at me as if to say 'what's that song'.

Sounds like you guys got a fantastic show.

I got to see it played for the first time live in the first sydney show back in 1998.

Its something special isnt it?

I just consider myself lucky to have heard it live, and even luckier to be one of the first to see it live. (Only 7 times played)

ooba Fox wrote:
    What's happended to Riot act songs?

Yeah.. Unimpressed with that...
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • Options
    Phew :)....after reading through a few more posts since yesterday I'm so glad there are others thinking that the crown wasn't all that bad on Monday.
    I felt there were a few too many harsh comments about Mondays crowd. I was about 20 rows back right in front of Mike and from every angle I could see everone was rockin out heaps (me included). I was on such a high after Monday night and to be honest with you those comments literally burst by bubble like a pin popping a balloon! I felt sad and hurt - especially as it made it sound like we had let the band down (and be honest who wants to do that!) :(
    You have to remember that everyone enjoys the event in their own way - As someone mentioned before it's kinda hard to go too nuts with less than a meter of space and a row of chairs digging in to the back of your legs! My hubby had to sit down a couple of time cause he has a bad knee and the chairs smacking into it didn't help. But he enjoyed the show just as much as anyone.......I would hate to think people were judging him for it!
    So please don't spend so much time judging the crowd and concertrate on your own space! If people spent more time making sure they are having a good time themselves instead of what other aren't doing right things might seem a little brighter. Some people feel intimidated by others watching them.
  • Options
    ako_oceans wrote:
    Yeah bro, i was the guy with the shaved head and glasses sweating my arse off a row or two behind ya.

i thought we had a great position there!
    i was hoping mike would throw some pics our way but they always seemed to head more into the middle
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    0---|-2----0h7h9---7vvv--2-2-2-|-2----0h7h9--7-9b10r9-7-0-|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• Options
    Yeah. But its kinda shakey though
    Zim^zuM wrote:
    on video ?
  • Options
    edWho - The final song was Yellow Ledbetter, then a full version of Little Wing, then back into the end of Ledbetter to end the show. Stunning.

Overall, I have to say the Melbourne Ten Club crowd was very disappointing. The fanclub contingent took up atleast 20 rows and, while the first few rows were excellent as always, there were so many "fans" standing around looking like they were completely bored. Still really really enjoyed it - Linc and I were 8th row Mike - but the crowd was a severe letdown after the hype it was built up to be.

The general crowd, in terms of the non-floor areas, should be ashamed. Ed was heard to quietly say to the front rows "It's gonna be another tough one", then said "If you're going to be this quiet then I will tell some stories" early on in the show. Mike was trying to get the crowd going on his side and was visibly annoyed early on, so the band essentially resorted to playing for the Ten Clubbers on the floor who were "into it".

The crowd will shine through on Betterman and Daughter (as always in Australia). Personal highlights were Come Back (which the fucking NAILED), Inside Job (first time in Oz) and Yellowe Ledbetter/Little Wing. Fantastic encore which, to be honest, the crowd didn't deserve. Long-time fan Gus (Gustophiles) will get his golden vocals on the bootleg at the end of "State of Love and Trust" - onya Gus. Ed also had a couple of hilarious digs at John Howard, and a overly-physical security guard who was pulling at the shirt of a bloke who was lighting up a smoke in the stands. Will come out great on the bootleg.

I sit at the hotel, exhausted, and overall a little "empty" from a crowd that didn't really deliver. I applaud the band for the way they kick on in non-responsive crowds and play all the gold for us diehards ;) A great performance.

Hey was that you guys that started the Mexican wave before the show?

This was my first ever PJ show in Melbourne. Since 98 i've been hearing how good the Melbourne shows have been so i decided to save up and make the trip from Sydney. Was a tad dissapointed with the Sydney shows in 2003 but was blown away with how good Sydney 1 was at Homebush. Was 4th row Stone's side for Sydney 1 and it was fanfuckintastic.

Scored 6th row centre for Melbourne. Was initially a little underwhelmed with the Melbourne faithful, proabably because my expectations were so high, but the band was definitely on-song from the opening riffs of Life Wasted. Man they really crunched that one out with some aggro. They are really sounding so much better this tour. Very tight. Animal is a personal fave of mine and I was going off for this one too...then into a frenzied STBC. Again, amazing energy and awesome sound.

Inside Job was unbelievable live. Wow. Come back & Army Reserve were also great to hear live for the first time. Seemed like the newer stuff got alot more response/love from the crowd in Sydney 1 than Melbourne 1 (which I definitely wasn't expecting) but the crowd got better as the show went on. Maybe everyone was too sober because it took like close to an hour to get served at the bar...that was a f'n joke.

All in all Sydney 1 & Melb 1 were bloody awesome and crap all over anything from the 2003 Aus tour.
  • Options
    Hey,
    Hoping some lifewasted.net ppl can help me out...
    Wondering where the Melbourne 3 after party is happening? (didn't take down the info before the lifewasted site died)
    Also, any ideas when the site will be up & running again?

Had an awesome night Monday, hanging out for Thursday... see ya in the 2nd row!!
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Melb One was great!
    Absoultely fantastic
    Guy infront of me (3rd row) says that it was alright! Well fuck you mate!
    You are damn hard to please! The greatest band in the universe gave you 140 mins on unbridled energy and you say, 'it was alright'
    Fuck you champ! I dont care how many shows you've seen. You sounded like spoiled brat (even if you are over 35)

btw giving the crowds shit is wearing a little thin, get over it, this is the way people are like or not, i was there 4th row singing my ass off loving it andif people werent getting off on it then its their loss
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    Hey,
    Hoping some lifewasted.net ppl can help me out...
    Wondering where the Melbourne 3 after party is happening? (didn't take down the info before the lifewasted site died)
    Also, any ideas when the site will be up & running again?

Had an awesome night Monday, hanging out for Thursday... see ya in the 2nd row!!

it's at the queensberry on swanston st up on the way to melb uni. should be a rad night!!! and as for u and ur 2nd row..............I'M JEALOUS!!!!! i got first row of the second section back on the floor which should be alright, at least i won't have stupid TALL people in front of me blocking my view like the other night
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    soapyrows wrote:
    it's at the queensberry on swanston st up on the way to melb uni. should be a rad night!!! and as for u and ur 2nd row..............I'M JEALOUS!!!!! i got first row of the second section back on the floor which should be alright, at least i won't have stupid TALL people in front of me blocking my view like the other night

Thanks man :) Will be a great night.
    Yeah I'm pretty pumped about being so close to the stage, even though I'm on Mike's side and not in the middle! Am hoping everyone on the floor will be going off tommorrow night (I sure as hell will!)... and that Eddie throws a tambourine my way!
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    sebby01 wrote:
    Phew :)....after reading through a few more posts since yesterday I'm so glad there are others thinking that the crown wasn't all that bad on Monday.
    I felt there were a few too many harsh comments about Mondays crowd. I was about 20 rows back right in front of Mike and from every angle I could see everone was rockin out heaps (me included). I was on such a high after Monday night and to be honest with you those comments literally burst by bubble like a pin popping a balloon! I felt sad and hurt - especially as it made it sound like we had let the band down (and be honest who wants to do that!) :(
    You have to remember that everyone enjoys the event in their own way - As someone mentioned before it's kinda hard to go too nuts with less than a meter of space and a row of chairs digging in to the back of your legs! My hubby had to sit down a couple of time cause he has a bad knee and the chairs smacking into it didn't help. But he enjoyed the show just as much as anyone.......I would hate to think people were judging him for it!
    So please don't spend so much time judging the crowd and concertrate on your own space! If people spent more time making sure they are having a good time themselves instead of what other aren't doing right things might seem a little brighter. Some people feel intimidated by others watching them.

Well said Jodie! I agree with the poster who said lay off the crowds. They are not THAT bad! I rocked my guts out anyway, and I was the only one in my section doing so (Melb 2). There's NO WAY I'd ever let a crowd ruin my experience of Pearl Jam. They are HOT, they are rockin' and they are the WORLD'S BEST BAND and they've been absolutely giving their all. So for Melb 3, let's concentrate on the band and not the crowds. Whatever they choose to do will be fine with me, though it would be nice to hear more from Riot Act, and I wouldn't say no to Release, Present Tense, Crown of Thorns, Rats and Dirty Frank either. Can't wait for tomorrow night, let's make it another great night to remember and hope to meet plenty of you at the Queensberry afterwards.
  • Options
    bendidbendid Posts: 10
    My vid of encore 2 speech and Dead Man for those who are interested..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dRXH37TGDI

Ben
  • Options
    i was row O on the floor and i thought the crowd were great. the band seemed to appreciate the crowd too. at the beginning where ed said "im gonna have to start telling stories if you're gonna be this quiet melbourne" i thought he was just having a dig at us because we werent quiet.

highlights for me were:
    dead man
    alive
    black
    the betterman singalong
    yellow ledbetter
    13th November - Melbourne
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    The 5th and last show of my 5 show OZ holiday. I was 11th row Stone's side, K-1 and 2 to be exact, and had a blast. First, Newfie Joe was next to me. Both of us rocked out until we could barely move due to fatigue. If obscene phone caller was an occupation, both of us could've gotten lots of work. My voice is still shredded .

Great set list! Spin, Dead Man, Leatherman, and a Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing that's an instant classic, both on stage and off, were personal highlights.

For me, just being in OZ and meeting so many Kick ass , Kick out the Jams PJ fans was THE highlight . The hospitality and friendship extended to me left me in awe. To Glenn, Newfie Joe, Jason, Annette, Linc, Gus(congrats on Melb 1) , Mike, George, and many comrades-in-Jam whose names my distance addled pea brain has forgotten ( SORRY!!) , ROCK ON!!! THANKS!!!, and see y'all Around The Bend,on the Long Road, and at the Last Exit. Definitely 5 shows and 7 days full of memories I'll not Soon Forget.

26 down , Hawaii x 2 to go. THANKS PJ for making it all possible!!

Ben Bell
    Media,PA.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    wow some nice person has posted the 'banana' speech and dead man on you tube pretty fucking awesome love that song my fav pj song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dRXH37TGDI
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Well, so far I have been to both shows in Melbourne and going to show three tonight which I can't wait for!!!

Ended up getting awesome seats for Monday night and took a few photos whith my crappy camera. Here are some of them including the moment Ed spotted security trying to kick out the dude who lit up right at the end (the photo of Ed pointing).....

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0043wg7.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0044bx3.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0049va7.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0050tf3.jpg

The guys have been on fire this tour and I know they're going to tear it up tonight for show 3.

Cheers :)
  • Options
    bendid wrote:
    Tim Robbins?

Yep, 'tis. I've got some other pics at high res, and when you zoom in you can make him out.....

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0036wh2.jpg

Pretty sure that's him.......
  • Options
    Crowd this and crowd that - i dont give a shit, i got to see my favourite band of all time put in a ball tearing set that damn near lifted the rafters of the joint - they played some of my favourite tunes and i had an absolute fucking ball of a time.

If you are really shallow enough to spend your energy bitching about it and taking pot shots instead of thanking your lucky bloody stars you actually got a ticket to the damn thing, then you really are a sad bastard in my book.

I still cant get over how good those encores were, ive ended up with 'after show depression' now - as i know i aint gonna see them again until next time - the only let down i had was having to walk out of the bloody place and even then i was high as a kite from what i had been FORTUNATE ENOUGH to witness.
    "So this life is sacrifice...To a strangers bottom line"
  • Options
    we were up in the stand lower section row C and our section was rocking. This was my 1st PJ concert and loved every minute. My mate has been to several and said it was the best he's seen. I've seen Aerosmith, Van Halen, Bon Jovi (twice) and for pure hard rocking, Pearl Jam shits all over them, as much as i love them 2.

great value 4 money too. i think eveyone should be grateful for such a great band who love coming to Aus. the yanks don't get nearly as good a deal as we do, per capita.

Highlights were Inside Job (1st time in Aus) Come Back went off, Corduroy SOLT (my friend nearly jumped out onto the floor), Jeremy and betterman was the song of the night in terms of crowd participation.

hope everyone enjoys rest of tour.
    I just want to scream..hello..
  • Options
    Cheers for thre reply mate.

I dont think alot of people here know what they have, its refreshing to hear a bloke who hasnt seen them before - it makes me feel like the first time i saw em - i was utterly speechless after it, LOVED it, STILL DO lol.

Thanks mate :)
  • Options
    No worries!!!!
    I just want to scream..hello..
  • Options
    *listens to PJ unplugged* and thinks how dman lucky i am......
  • Options
    What a show to start the Melbourne trilogy...left it thinking WOW what a week I am in for - and YES - WHAT A WEEK WE GOT!

I will enjoy sitting down with my bootlegs after the guys have left our shores and begin to remember each show for what it was!!! revel in the memories!!!

Come Back, Once, YL with Little Wing stand out right now from this list but have heard about 110 or so songs in the last 7 days so it's all mixed up in my head.......

Loved Ed's "John Howard get your hand off our President's banana" speech....he knows the type of people we are.....MAKE LOVE NOT WAR! (ok an old cheesy saying but hey, THIS IS HOW I FEEL!!!)
    ~~The sea will rise, please stand by the shore~~
    ~~~~Oh I will be, I will be there once more~~~~

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

Hall-le-lu-jah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    What a show to start the Melbourne trilogy...left it thinking WOW what a week I am in for - and YES - WHAT A WEEK WE GOT!

I will enjoy sitting down with my bootlegs after the guys have left our shores and begin to remember each show for what it was!!! revel in the memories!!!

Come Back, Once, YL with Little Wing stand out right now from this list but have heard about 110 or so songs in the last 7 days so it's all mixed up in my head.......

Loved Ed's "John Howard get your hand off our President's banana" speech....he knows the type of people we are.....MAKE LOVE NOT WAR! (ok an old cheesy saying but hey, THIS IS HOW I FEEL!!!)
    ~~The sea will rise, please stand by the shore~~
    ~~~~Oh I will be, I will be there once more~~~~

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

Hall-le-lu-jah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Well yes I was there and it was the best concert I have ever been to!
    Even better than when I saw them 20 feb 03 @ RLA (by the way does someone have a link so I can download this bootleg please?)

I've seen some great bands this year, starting with Coldplay, then Live, Then Pearl Jam and then U2 @ telstra dome on sunday nght and I still maintain that PJ was the best!
    Yes I've downloaded the bootleg for the show, its awsome!!

And yes I agree the people up in the high seats were a little quiet, but I made up for it, singing to everything (and in fine voice I might add), even the lesser known words.

Pearl Jam was the first band I really got into back in the early 90's and I keep coming back to them, looking forward to the next tour already.

Please if anyone can help me find bootleg #9 20 feb 03 that would be greatly appreciated.
    XD & XE ESP Interior supplies
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    ako_oceans wrote:
    Crowd this and crowd that - i dont give a shit, i got to see my favourite band of all time put in a ball tearing set that damn near lifted the rafters of the joint - they played some of my favourite tunes and i had an absolute fucking ball of a time.

If you are really shallow enough to spend your energy bitching about it and taking pot shots instead of thanking your lucky bloody stars you actually got a ticket to the damn thing, then you really are a sad bastard in my book.

I still cant get over how good those encores were, ive ended up with 'after show depression' now - as i know i aint gonna see them again until next time - the only let down i had was having to walk out of the bloody place and even then i was high as a kite from what i had been FORTUNATE ENOUGH to witness.

Well said indeed. Nothing wrong with the crowd anyways, I was in 10 club seats and every time I looked around most people were up clapping, singing etc. Only people who didnt rock out were the poor bastards in the third tier, who I feel sorry for if nothing else, I mean those seats are shits if you want to be closer. (I know, cos in '03 my daughter and I sat in a couple of them. I was lucky though, I got up and danced in the aisles with another woman when everyone, and I mean everyone else around us was sitting down). The band were on fire, as far as I'm concerned and the crowd weren't bad at all from where I was.

Anyway, made a bloo with my previous post and feel like an idiot so just have to clear this up. A woman in the toilet after the show complimented me on being cool enough to bring my 12 year old to a concert, and then told me the song they'd played in the encore was a Bon Jovi song, well I should know better! As if they'd play a BJ song! I'd never heard the song that they did play so for some dumb reason believed her. What the heck. That's why I put in my post that they'd played a BJ song and obviously it wasn't.