Options

*** Melbourne 1 Fanviews Here 13/11/06 ***

Comments

• Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    I knew they were going to launch into insignificance when Ed said what he said about Seattle. I was trying to get the word out to my daughter when they burst into it. Why are people comparing our crowds to Sydney's and Brisbane's? Does it really matter? I mean I enjoy Pearl Jam for what they do, never mind how much better or worse the crowd was in a certain city. Each show is different and the dynamics are never going to be the same at each venue. This crowd definitely didn't suck, you're rarely going to get to a show where everyone is rocking because there are always people who just want to sit/stand without moving around. Thought the 10clubbers were just fine. I am literally sore with all the jumping around, especially the palms of my hands.

Best post in this thread :)
    "So this life is sacrifice...To a strangers bottom line"
  • Options
    Kings of Leon were great live, i have to admit, they also seemed like nice enough blokes too. Its just a pity that i dont dig their music.
  • Options
    Most things have been commented on here. From where i was the crowd was great (cant go wrong up front though)
    To the girl who got the tambourine - I believe i was chatting to you before the show, congrats :)

Whoever said Ed was really drunk, I disagree. He was drinking alot but he didnt seem as drunk as he was in Sydney. Not that i care.....

The sound mix seemed to be a bit off, all I could hear was Stone. I could hardly hear Mike's solo's at all, did anyone else on Stone's side have that problem?
    With that said though, having Stoney at full ball made me appreciate his playing even more, the man is amazing and Im glad I had his riffs right in my ear all night, I loved it. He even made eye contact with the crowd a bit in front of him, good stuff :D

Ed kept giving his picks to the same people in front centre, bit strange.

Highlights for me were Inside Job, Once, Come back, dead man, solat and Why Go. I wasnt a fan of LW opening, but I have never liked that song.
    And for once I can say I enjoyed yellow ledbetter, Little Wing was awesome!
    I loved how Ed kept going over to Mike and whispering in his ear what to play next, Mike is like his little human jukebox :D
    It was nice to see Another Brick in the Wall in Daughter, thats an old classic tag, one of my fave Daughter tags.

Overall a great show. Still doesnt beat Sydney 1 in my opinion, but that comes down to the setlist I think. Last night had some great songs but could have done with a few more rarities to appease the 10c crowd.

Oh did anyone catch Ed's little bum wiggle dance?? I cant remember if it was in DTE or another song, but it was classic :D
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    Ed wasnt drunk at all, crowd from a bit back wasnt as rocking as it normally is. Picked up towards the end, the start was good but they lost the crowd in between. Got em back with 'hits' I hope with 2 dissapointing crowds they will concentrate on shows that us 10C members want that are travelling around to see them.
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    longroad1 wrote:
    Most things have been commented on here. From where i was the crowd was great (cant go wrong up front though)
    To the girl who got the tambourine - I believe i was chatting to you before the show, congrats :)

Whoever said Ed was really drunk, I disagree. He was drinking alot but he didnt seem as drunk as he was in Sydney. Not that i care.....

The sound mix seemed to be a bit off, all I could hear was Stone. I could hardly hear Mike's solo's at all, did anyone else on Stone's side have that problem?
    With that said though, having Stoney at full ball made me appreciate his playing even more, the man is amazing and Im glad I had his riffs right in my ear all night, I loved it. He even made eye contact with the crowd a bit in front of him, good stuff :D

Ed kept giving his picks to the same people in front centre, bit strange.

Highlights for me were Inside Job, Once, Come back, dead man, solat and Why Go. I wasnt a fan of LW opening, but I have never liked that song.
    And for once I can say I enjoyed yellow ledbetter, Little Wing was awesome!
    I loved how Ed kept going over to Mike and whispering in his ear what to play next, Mike is like his little human jukebox :D
    It was nice to see Another Brick in the Wall in Daughter, thats an old classic tag, one of my fave Daughter tags.

Overall a great show. Still doesnt beat Sydney 1 in my opinion, but that comes down to the setlist I think. Last night had some great songs but could have done with a few more rarities to appease the 10c crowd.

Oh did anyone catch Ed's little bum wiggle dance?? I cant remember if it was in DTE or another song, but it was classic :D

I thought the sound wasn't too good aswell - couldn't hear Mike. But fuck I'm being picky ;)
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    While I thought last night's crowd at Rod Laver Arena topped both Sydney nights, I gotta say, there's room for improvement. I may sound like I'm whinging, but I don't care. This is a Pearl Jam fan forum, and as a Pearl Jam fan, I can honestly say Ed and the guys dearly want us to help them out.

I do not get why you'd take front row seats only to stand there, not even move an inch, and sing not one lyric. Last night, two girls had prime front row in front of Ed, and weren't even on the barrier. They just stood there and watched, possibly asleep with their eyes open. Same deal with the guy next to me, who had 2nd row Stone. He looked bored out of his brain!

Melbourne has been absolutely spoilt rotten by having THREE shows this week. There are cities across the world with awesome crowds who only get one. So if you're reading this, and you're seeing a show tonight or on Thursday, please don't sit down. Stand up, sing your heart out, and let go. Raise your arm in the air and shout "yeah!" to the beat during Alive's solo. C'mon, we don't need Ed to start us off, we all know how it goes.

And the new songs deserve way more love. It sucks that Pearl Jam come out with such a killer album, only to have a Melbourne crowd ignore it in favour of the classic hits. There should've been a way better reponse for the epic Inside Job, but it seemed like hardly anyone knew it, or cared for it. Wtf? Same deal with Come Back. And this was the show with the biggest 10c contingent! It really took too long to warm up.

I know security sucks, but they don't have the right to stop you from getting up and dancing. No matter what they say.

I actually was proud overall of the crowd last night, but we can always lift our game people. This rant was basically directed at those who did nothing.

See ya tonight!!
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    I'm going to tonight's show (show 2) and after seeing this setlist I hope tonight is not a struggle as they probably won't play betterman or daughter again or songs like black. well i'm sure it will kick ass either way....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    who here was in the front row ?

i want to ask a quick question
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    no if the elevated crowd wanna sit down like at a theatre play than let them but the good fans back in the bleaches need to stand up its a fucking rock concert the crowds have been pretty bad from what I have read so far hope it picks up for the Adelaide shows next week.

WAHOOOOO!!!! I know i won't be able to sit down, i'll have to get my "fuck off - you stand up too for ged's sake" attitude on for the night!...no offense :D
  • Options
    I was on mike's side in row U. Mix was quite good from there. Could here mike's solos loud and clear and could here stone quite well also.

Jeff was far too quiet in my opinion. was really expecting his sound to fill it out a lot more. Very disappointed with that.

I'll be in section B, row A on thurs night. Anyone here gonna be joining me in that area????
  • Options
    Timmeahy J wrote:
    I'll be in section B, row A on thurs night. Anyone here gonna be joining me in that area????

My ticket says row BB, seat... does that mean sect B, row B??
  • Options
    Someone mentioned before that they were on the Stone side and had trouble hearing Mike on the other side - we were on the Mike side and yeah, i agree, it was kind a hard to hear Stone, but i also agree that it made us appreciate Mike more - did anyone catch the behind the head solo Mike did at all?
  • Options
    Did anyone at all record any of it? I have almost 70 minuts of it (the first part) until my battery died.
  • Options
    Just got back to Adelaide after a great show in Melbourne it was great to catch up with a few people at the pre-show piss up at Bridie O rielly's. What a great set list for someone who has follwed the band since 1991. I am regretting that i never joined the ten club until two years ago because row U on the floor wasn't the best spot but i the show made up for the poor position.

My wife and I danced and jumped all the way through the show and lots of people around us did too. I thought the crowd was good.

The band rocked and were full of energy and definetly enjoyed it. 2 hours 20 minutes justified the money to get over there.

I got so many songs that I was hoping for Animal, Jeremy, Black, Insignificance, Why Go, YL, RITFW, Dead Man, STBC, Corduroy, Betterman, Leatherman, Daughter, RVM, Alive.

I couldn't believe They played 'Dead Man' when he said that all the crowd was quiet and I shouted ' Fuck yeah' and people were looking at me as if to say 'what's that song'.
    It was great at the end when they were giving the security shit.

What's happended to Riot act songs?

Now for Adelaide 1 & 2. I've still got a few wishlist songs to hear hopefully, Wishlist, Light years, Not for you, Man of the hour, Rats to name a few.
    Perth 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Melbourne 13 Nov 2006
    Adelaide 21 Nov 2006
    Adelaide 22 Nov 2006
    Adelaide 2009
    EV Adelaide 27 Mar 2011
    EV Adelaide 28 Mar 2011

'Always amongst the waves'
  • Options
    Zim^zuM wrote:
    who here was in the front row ?

i want to ask a quick question

what is the question
  • Options
    Did anyone at all record any of it? I have almost 70 minuts of it (the first part) until my battery died.

on video ?
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    I was in Row X on Stones side. I had an awesome night. I had green eyes for the people up the front though. There was so many good songs and so much energy coming from the band. I saw the girl who had the "Eddie, throw your arms around me and give me one last kiss" sign. It was cool that there were some passionate and enthusiastic fans around me even though we were the newbies at the back of 10c.

It was my first pearl jam show and the crowd was a little disapointing, but the people that were going crazy and the bands enthusiasm made up for it! Kings of Leon were great but I felt sorry for them playing for an half empty arena of mostly seated people. I loved the setlist especially the encores.

The were some hilarious moments during the show, eg the banana speech, the smoking guy, Eddies drunk dancing, but the best was during the second verse of rearviewmirror...
    "I TOOK A DRIVE...... SHIT!" Everyone around me was histerical at this point.

I had a great time last night, I can't wait to see pearl jam again. I'm so envious of people going again tonight and tomorow night!!

Do anyone want to swap photos?
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    All I got to say is this:

Australia has 12 shows - which is A LOT for a country of 20 million people

It works out to 0.0000006 Pearl Jam shows per capita.

The United States had 36 shows this tour, for a country of 300 million people.

That's 0.00000012 Pearl Jam shows per capita. Half of Australia's PJ show per person rate!

And to hear that Australians are not fully appreciating this GIFT that they have been given... well... I might have to start boycotting Australian products. And to think I was just about to pick up Crocodile Dundee III on DVD...
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    .. And to think I was just about to pick up Crocodile Dundee III on DVD...
    no worries... it's crap anyway.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    And to hear that Australians are not fully appreciating this GIFT that they have been given... well... I might have to start boycotting Australian products.

Feel free ..... whiney American.
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    And to hear that Australians are not fully appreciating this GIFT that they have been given... well... I might have to start boycotting Australian products. And to think I was just about to pick up Crocodile Dundee III on DVD...

ridiculous. there's not one person who saw them last night who didn't appreciate it. it's just some have expectations for us to be a european type crowd when the pearl jam audience and culture in australia is vastly different.
  • Options
    talitha wrote:
    ridiculous. there's not one person who saw them last night who didn't appreciate it. it's just some have expectations for us to be a european type crowd when the pearl jam audience and culture in australia is vastly different.
    exactly!
  • Options
    God Dammit!!!!!
  • Options
    I wanna go again tonight!!!!!!!!!!

At the very least i wanna be able to d/l the mp3 of the show.

Given i have a few beers in me though lol :)
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    All I got to say is this:

Australia has 12 shows - which is A LOT for a country of 20 million people

It works out to 0.0000006 Pearl Jam shows per capita.

The United States had 36 shows this tour, for a country of 300 million people.

That's 0.00000012 Pearl Jam shows per capita. Half of Australia's PJ show per person rate!

well sweetie it's such a long trip over they have to make the most of it ;)

so that was gus in SOLAT? :D

wish i was going tonight :o
    wah
  • Options
    the crowd on mikes side and in the stands weren't that great [i was there, and standing the whole way through] and most of the first few rows sat the whole night. two chicks in front of me stood the whole time and danced and i rocked out.

i thought the crowd was alright. the guys on the floor were great, but the stands didn't seem too enthused.

I didn't see many noticably drunk people. lots of beer though. I did see two guys walk into one toilet cubicle :S

i thought the domincance of ten era songs was awesome, but it would have been nice to see a few bits of riot act brought out, they did bring boom out after all.

there wasn't any bon jovi, and i loved the little wing cover. as for daughter, i would have preferred it's okay, but ABITW was awesome as was rocking in the free world at the end.

the security guards were pretty toolish, they took away our beach ball [but seriously, when you're on the sides, hit it into the middle!!!] and that guy who tried to eject the smoker... harden up.

ed's dances were hilarious, his wiggles on the amp stacks were great.

mike seemed to be having fun revving up the crowd around him.. did anyone else see him play a solo with the guitar behind his head? i can't remeber what song this was in though.

kings of leon didn't do much for me, moslty cause i didn't know their songs too well. i've got the albums but there is only so much mumbling you can listen to. they played a good show, i'll give them that. the uber tight jeans and heeled boots aren't my bag either.

all in all, a great first PJ show. Now to see U2 on saturday.
    waiting for the great leap forward

12 people may make the one decision but that doesn't make it right.

Free Rob Farquharson, wrongfully imprisoned!!

www.factbeforetheory.net
  • Options
    Melbourne II would be well underway by now.......

god i wish i was there :/
  • Options
    90% of these posts are about the crowd. We don't give a fuck about the crowd. We weren't there. We want to hear about the band. Fuck the crowd. Only post here if you write about the BAND'S perfoemance.

If you are so caught up in watching crowds, go to the baseball where you have nothing else to do but watch all the other people watching.

Mother fuckers!
  • Options
    The band were fuckin' awesome....

It was my fifth time for seeing the Jammer's live... first time in '95 at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. The only memories I have from that show are 'Tremor Christ' for some strange reason, and Stone starting the chord intro to 'Black', only to have Eddie cut him off with the words 'No, no, I don't feel like playing that song tonight...' which haunted me ('Black' is my fav PJ song) until the first Melbourne show in 2003 (I missed the 1998 tour) which I was finally released from that burden... I saw all three Melbourne shows on that tour, the 2003 shows were great, fantasitic...

But last night, 13/11/2006, entered into the books as the best PJ show I have seen so far... the crowd took awhile to warm up, but the band didn't.... PJ were on from song one... they delivered an awesome show... seriously, if they weren't feeling it, there is no way they would have given us Yellow Ledbetter following RITFW, with Eddie stating that playing Ledbetter was going to piss off the 2nd night crowd... seriously, if the crowd was that crap, why would you waste it on them??

And personally, it was so nice to see 'Black' delivered as the way it should be... while it was nice to finally hear it on the Melbourne I 2003 show, it was like a joyous, almost Greatful Dead style jam of a version on that 2003 show... to me 'Black' has always been a feeling of loss and sadness... I heard it in the version I heard on the show I heard last night, not in the show in 2003...

As an aside to some of your people complaining on the crowd response.. here is a bit of perspective for you... I was seated on Stone's side in the lower section.. in the section that on your ticket was marked 'impeded view'... it meant that you had cables and the like in front of you, obstructing your view.. however, it also meant that, if like myself and my mate and his wife, you were only about ten to fifteen feet away from the stage.. we were in row F, so nice and close.. during most of the main set, I was on my feet, totally into the show, with people standing up in front of me, I needed to be standing to see... however, during one of the new songs, I think it was either Marker in the Sand, or Army Reserve, people in front of me started to sit down... I stayed standing, still into it, until I felt someone behind me tap me and ask me to sit down, which I did for the rest of the show as long as the people in front of me stayed seated and I could see... after that at one point I saw Eddie gesture to our section to stand up, and I so wanted to, but stayed seated... and before you judge me.. let me ask you this... if you were 6'6", and unless you knew the people behind you could see and were going to stand, after you had paid $100 a ticket, would you stand and block their damn view??! They didn't stand behind me, so I stayed seated. My wife's mate stayed standing, but she is like 5'4", not 6'6".

Sometimes you have to think of others... damn great show all the same, the best I have seen so far, five shows in... I've seen better crowds but worse PJ shows....
    We belong together.....

18/03/1995 ~ 18/02/2003 ~ 19/02/2003 ~ 20/02/2003 ~ 13/11/2006.
  • Options
    mike looked like he was really feelin the love from those front few rows on the floor in front of him.
    eddie looked like he was just loving every minute of it. He didn't seem as in to it tonite i didn't think.