Options

*** Melbourne 1 Fanviews Here 13/11/06 ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Opening Band: Kings of Leon

Pearl Jam: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Animal, Spin The Black Circle, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Jeremy, Given To Fly, Marker In The Sand, Even Flow, Insignificance, Army Reserve, Daughter / (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2), Leatherman, Do The Evolution, Better Man / (Save It For Later), Rearviewmirror

1st Encore: Inside Job, Once, Come Back, Black, Alive

2nd Encore: Dead Man, State Of Love And Trust, Comatose, Why Go, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter / Little Wing

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post here only if you were in attendance.

Early Set List Source: Message Pit's "Long Walker” and you

Set List Source: tenclub.net and sonymusic.com.

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    This was the most "best of" list so far. Can't wait to see where they go with it now. lol @ eddie vedder telling off a security guard who was trying to kick a guy out for smoking, security cunt copped it from the crowd bad then just gave eddie the finger lol. Then half the venue lit up lol
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    First of cheers to 10c for my awesome tickets! I wasnt on the floor but 2nd row in the upper bowl was awesome, great view of everything. The two screens, on on each side of the stage was pretty awesome as it showed many views of tbe band and the crowd. So anyway got my tix with my lil bro opening up seeing "Row B" is kinda awesome! On the way in some people still had issues with poster tubes so yer. But got my digital cam in no probs! Went straight to the merchandise got a poster, an avo T, Beach Towel, stickers and badges grabbed a bite to eat.

Kings of Leon were pretty awesome! Was good to see the floor all rocking out! Upper and lower sections still mainly seated. Then Master slave starts and BOOM the ALL sections up on there feet cheering and clapping was insane.

Wasted reprise starts up and most people are in my section are singing along, then BAM! Right into Life Wasted! The band were full of energy and the energy didnt want to stop. Then a one two punch with animal and then STBC!! The crowd were rather loud so far but got even louder when ed started Corduroy everyone clapping in unison before the first chorus starts up. Next up is servered hand great version of it and an awesome solo which went a bit longer than it usually does. Then Eddie talks about Rod Laver which I cant remember then talks about if it wasnt for the next song he'd still be doing some job, which i also cant remember.. Then Jeremy starts and and once again the fans belt it out.
    Next is Marker which for me was awesome because I really wanted to hear this! Then even flow kicks in and the crowd goes nuts! Mike does his solo after his solo mike and jeff stand to the left of the stage and ed and stone move to the right and Matt's all alone doing his drum solo which the crowd ABSOLUTELY loved! A nice tight version of insignificance before the band FINALLY decides to slow it down with nice version of daugther with the crowd in full force! Followed by the ABITW tag!
    But once again the band pick it up and go into Leatherman, next DTE and the crowd love it! Hallelujah bit was awesome the crowd with there hands in the air singing along. Nice applause and cheers as stone does both his solo's too! Betterman comes up and as usual the good old Melb crowd took over the whole first verse! Then into a rather intense save it for later tag and nice mikey solo! Then RVM starts! Very nice version! The jam in the middle is REAL short compared with what were used to but works rather sweet! End set! ( Given To Fly is missing from the setlist... dont memba where it goes though )

Whole lot of clapping and cheering around Rod Laver to get the guys out back on stage. Matt is out first with a fist in the air getting everyone back on there feet! The band start Inside Job all huddled up in front of matt's kit. Minus Ed.... Until the bit where he starts singing and he walks to the mic ( with huge applause from the melb crowd ). After an incredible version of Inside Job the band sort of gets lost as they forgot what song they were meant to play next! Ed blames stone and goes something along the lines of "cmon your the youngest" with stone just laughing before firing up an awesome version of once! Ed says the next one is a request and starts Come Back! I really wanted to hear this as a few months ago my grandmother passed away, so yer there was sort of a tear in my eye! They then start Black! Great crowd response to the opening chords! Pretty sure stone was on an electric for this! Great job at the do do do's at the end. Then eddie starts the "we belong together tag" and i tell you the whole 10c section really got into it! Then after a blistering mike solo stone starts the all to familiar riff of alive and the crowd goes NUTS! Everyone hands up in the air singing along the whole song, and nice "YEAH" and fist pumps as mike solo's encore 1 to a huge crowd roar of appreciation!

I think this is where ed came out by himself and handed out his bottle to people up front and went "i said have a bit not all." As ed came out by himself and a bloke behind me goes "deadman" he's mate just goes "pfft yer right." Then ed talks about the death penalty and goes "this one's deadman" or something like that! I turn around and the look on our faces were like HOLY CRAP! The rest of the boys rejoin Ed and start State and wow the band is really feeding off the crowd! Not just for state but the whole night! They start comatose and for some reason sheesh! The crowd were singing really loud! Matt starts the drumming to why go and once again the crowd go nuts! Awesome singing i think mike did the solo behind is head for this one?

The opening riff to RITFW start and the house lights go up and HOLY CRAP! The crowd and band are intense! Everyone jumping around and singing! Eddie went through numerous tamborines and a few into the crowd. HUGE applause and im thinking thats it, but i see mike switch guitars and I go to my bro LEDBETTER! Ed goes "fuck the people tommorow if they get upset were gonna play this now" During the song Ed stops and goes "mr security man" and asks the security guy what he's doing. The security guy does the smoking motion the crowd BOO's! And ed goes leave the kid alone. Ed changes the lyrics to "mr security man, i know your just doing your job" then actually lights a smoke himself and goes "you have to go after me first because im the bad guy" HUGE cheers from the crowd! Mike starts to solo and all the band put there instruments down but ed runs to mike and whispers something. And they start a tag ( sorry i dont know what the name was ) but sheesh this ledbetter went for AGES because of it! FINALLY ed runs to mike whispers something and he solo's again to end an INCREDIBLE night which went for about 2.5hrs!

Somewhere in there was a speech about banana's which was ABSOLUTELY hillarious! He goes "i got a banana right here" and grabs his crotch! It was in response to australian Prime Minisiter blaming the economic problems on bananas!

Sorry if its a bit long or if i missed anything, rest of the people should be home soon to fill in the gaps! Thanks Pearl Jam for an awesome night! Crowd was awesome as well!
    18/02/03 Melb
    13/11/06 Melb
  • Options
    edWho - The final song was Yellow Ledbetter, then a full version of Little Wing, then back into the end of Ledbetter to end the show. Stunning.

Overall, I have to say the Melbourne Ten Club crowd was very disappointing. The fanclub contingent took up atleast 20 rows and, while the first few rows were excellent as always, there were so many "fans" standing around looking like they were completely bored. Still really really enjoyed it - Linc and I were 8th row Mike - but the crowd was a severe letdown after the hype it was built up to be.

The general crowd, in terms of the non-floor areas, should be ashamed. Ed was heard to quietly say to the front rows "It's gonna be another tough one", then said "If you're going to be this quiet then I will tell some stories" early on in the show. Mike was trying to get the crowd going on his side and was visibly annoyed early on, so the band essentially resorted to playing for the Ten Clubbers on the floor who were "into it".

The crowd will shine through on Betterman and Daughter (as always in Australia). Personal highlights were Come Back (which the fucking NAILED), Inside Job (first time in Oz) and Yellowe Ledbetter/Little Wing. Fantastic encore which, to be honest, the crowd didn't deserve. Long-time fan Gus (Gustophiles) will get his golden vocals on the bootleg at the end of "State of Love and Trust" - onya Gus. Ed also had a couple of hilarious digs at John Howard, and a overly-physical security guard who was pulling at the shirt of a bloke who was lighting up a smoke in the stands. Will come out great on the bootleg.

I sit at the hotel, exhausted, and overall a little "empty" from a crowd that didn't really deliver. I applaud the band for the way they kick on in non-responsive crowds and play all the gold for us diehards ;) A great performance.
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    TimmayTimmay Posts: 20
    They played Army Reserve also.

that was a freakin awesome show! The crowd down on the floor was very much into it. Ed went through about a half dozen tamporines on Rockin in the free world. I was hoping for the extended version of Save it for later but it cut short. Still very cool.

I thought the crowd was good! Down front on Stone's side.
    I think Ed was just riling us when he was talking about the crowd at the start because man... the crowd was into it.

Someone said the test is if they give you betterman intro to sing by yourself... well they did tonight and the crowd delivered.

Funny when ed threw the mic into the crowd!

Great concert. It simply kicked ass and you could tell the band was very appreciative of the crowd support despite what the guy above said.
  • Options
    BaystoneBaystone Posts: 111
    Kat - The final song was Yellow Ledbetter, then a full version of Little Wing, then back into the end of Ledbetter to end the show. Stunning.

Overall, I have to say the Melbourne Ten Club crowd was very disappointing. The fanclub contingent took up atleast 20 rows and, while the first few rows were excellent as always, there were so many "fans" standing around looking like they were completely bored. Still really really enjoyed it - Linc and I were 8th row Mike - but the crowd was a severe letdown after the hype it was built up to be.

The general crowd, in terms of the non-floor areas, should be ashamed. Ed was heard to quietly say to the front rows "It's gonna be another tough one", then said "If you're going to be this quiet then I will tell some stories" early on in the show. Mike was trying to get the crowd going on his side and was visibly annoyed early on, so the band essentially resorted to playing for the Ten Clubbers on the floor who were "into it".

The crowd will shine through on Betterman and Daughter (as always in Australia). Personal highlights were Come Back (which the fucking NAILED), Inside Job (first time in Oz) and Yellowe Ledbetter/Little Wing. Fantastic encore which, to be honest, the crowd didn't deserve. Long-time fan Gus (Gustophiles) will get his golden vocals on the bootleg at the end of "State of Love and Trust" - onya Gus. Ed also had a couple of hilarious digs at John Howard, and a overly-physical security guard who was pulling at the shirt of a bloke who was lighting up a smoke in the stands. Will come out great on the bootleg.

I sit at the hotel, exhausted, and overall a little "empty" from a crowd that didn't really deliver. I applaud the band for the way they kick on in non-responsive crowds and play all the gold for us diehards ;) A great performance.
    haha. Didn't realise that was Gus. awesome.
    I only lied because it was the easiest way to get what I wanted.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I'm stoked! Had a great night, nice seat thanks 10c. For me Pearl Jam can do no wrong. Probably the best concert I've been to so far (not that I've seen them that often). A real "hits" concert with some nice surprises thrown in, eg SOLAT, Dead Man Walking, Leatherman. Cant wait to see what they play tomorrow night. Was especially pleased I heard so much of the Avocado, my favourites Army Reserve and Inside Job amongst others. The guys looked to be having a great time and I felt they didnt want to get off stage. They played for about 2.5 hours. My hands are sore from clapping, they feel really bruised. The crowd seemed to be pretty good really although I was 13th from the front with 10c people rocking all around me. After RITFW they played a Bon Jovi song, though I dont know which one it was so 27 song setlist, pretty good. Eddie had some funny things to say about bananas! There was a great moment during Black when he sunk to the floor and stayed there for a few seconds, he seemed really emotional at the end of this and there were lots of "do do do do dos" from the crowd. The crowd seemed to participate with a fair bit of singing during the show. I'm a very happy jammer for now.
  • Options
    amitamit Posts: 73
    hey man. given to fly was also played
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Funny how you get different perspectives from the same show. I didn't feel the crowd was bad as the previous poster, if the guys didnt like the crowd then why did they play for so long? I kept turning around and there were lots of hands clapping when I looked, seemed to hear a fair bit of singing, will be interested to hear what everybody else has to say but I didnt think the crowd was bad at all.
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    After RITFW they played a Bon Jovi song, though I dont know which one it was

whooo ohh livin' on a yellow ledbetter?...
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    Kat - The final song was Yellow Ledbetter, then a full version of Little Wing, then back into the end of Ledbetter to end the show. Stunning.

The crowd took a little while to warm up. But I was in the 8th row Stones side and dudes were goin off around me. I think ur being harsh on the crowd, I thought they picked up big time, the singing was great and eddie recognised that. Plus they played for 2hrs and 20mins!

Ive seen PJ plenty of times and that was as good as ive seen them, probably the best! They simply went off! What an awesome hard rocking opening and Come Back followed by Black was gold. First thing I noticed was that Jeff was on fire and bouncing all over the joint (and has longer hair these days!) and Stone was the most animated ive seen him. Mike Eddie and Matt at their usual best. The Avo songs sounded brilliant and Dead Man, Why Go, Once, Comatose and Little Wing were highlights for me. A bit of a greatest hits setlist but cant complain at all. Looking forward to the next Melbourne shows!! Pics up soon..
    "...follow the strangest tribe..." - pj

www.flickr.com/photos/vainch

http://loveanddestruction.blogspot.com/

http://www.davidveentjer.com
  • Options
    I had a fucking awesome time, the crowd was going off (marked by Ed letting us sing the first verse of Betterman), interesting how people have different perspectives definitely :) Kicked arse all over the Sydney 1, Melbourne rocks!

Tomorrow night no more of this 4th row bullshit, i now get the perspective of Upper level at Rod Laver which will be interesting.. and i hope there's some rarities tomorrow night!

ahh brilliant night, thanks for the awesome fans and go to sleep to the imposter fans being arseholes on the floor.
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Options
    just got back from melbourne 1.

2hr 20min the longest show of the tour so far. it was fantastic to see inside job make its first appearance of the oz tour. what an amazing song. deadman was also a highlight (and replaced growin up on the setlist). parachutes was supposed to be played but was replaced with comeback. know your rights was on the 1st encore setlist but left off completely.

gus seemed to have a pretty awsome show down front. got himself picks, a tambourine and sang some of the outtro of SOLAT after ed tossed him the mic.

after reading the first few posts here, the issue seems to be about the crowd. from where i was sitting, it seemed pretty tame. i mean it got better as the show went along, but compared to brisbane on the weekend, it was pretty conservative. could probably attribute this to a monday night maybe? i feel the thursday Melb3 crowd will probably have a more enthusiastic edge to it. the fact that ed said "it's another tough one" says it all. during DTE ed also sang "rod laver's a church, now sing in the choir" de ja vu to all of us at sydney2!

but hey, it was a pearl jam gig. it was long and it was still fucken awesome.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    the crowd was bit dead at the start, but wow did we pick it up. 20th row, and we were going crazy by the fifth song or so
    you've gotta hold on to your time
    till you break through these times of trouble
  • Options
    By the way - did anyone else see Tim Robbins in the side of the stage during the 2nd encore rockin' out? Wonder what he was doing in town!

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    holy sh-t

what a set! couldn't have picked a better list myself!

shane warne was there! about 6 rows back from where the security guard tried to make that guy put out his spliff.
  • Options
    BaystoneBaystone Posts: 111
    By the way - did anyone else see Tim Robbins in the side of the stage during the 2nd encore rockin' out? Wonder what he was doing in town!
    think he's directing a play in town. didn't see him though.
    I only lied because it was the easiest way to get what I wanted.
  • Options
    I was in the 3rd row and everyone was rocking out!

Don't know what people expect when you have less then a metre of personal space, anyway we had a fantastic night and it was the best PJ set i've seen... so there!
  • Options
    haha! I thought i heard a warnie chant as everyone was getting seated!
    18/02/03 Melb
    13/11/06 Melb
  • Options
    WestWest Posts: 7
    All this crowd nonsense. Everyone was very enthusiastic except for maybe the ones packed up at the rafters. It's a bit hard to get into it up there. Other than that you really can't expect a fully intense crowd in Rod Laver Arena with chairs everywhere. You could tell Ed was really appreciative as the the gig went along. Really, with that kind of fantasy set, its a bit hard for everyone not to get caught up in it. JuddsTree, the crowd I thought was awesome, there was so much participation, dancing, hand clapping all around. Enough of that.

Wow, that was an amazing performance, it totally destroyed Melbourne 1 in 03, which was actually quite good. That set of songs is priceless, hearing dead man, which has been played about 7 times ever, was very special. Rocking in the Free World was just cracking and that has to be one of the best Even Flow's ever. Inside Job is truly a tremendous song and it really stood out tonight. All up, I reckon that was a classic.
  • Options
    What an awesome show. I thought the floor crowd were great. Setlist was a dream come true. Overall the best PJ show I've been to.

The whole band seem energised. Eddie was insane.

Off to bed to have wonderful PJ dreams!
  • Options
    Chrono_X wrote:
    haha! I thought i heard a warnie chant as everyone was getting seated!

I heard that too but didn't see him! So PJ do indeed attract moron fans... ah well ya can't be perfect.

• Options
    he looked like he was really in to it during the set
  • Options
    Sorry, wasn't at this show but what a great setlist! Although i can't believe they played Dead Man instead of Growin' Up!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    West wrote:
    All this crowd nonsense. Everyone was very enthusiastic except for maybe the ones packed up at the rafters. It's a bit hard to get into it up there. Other than that you really can't expect a fully intense crowd in Rod Laver Arena with chairs everywhere. You could tell Ed was really appreciative as the the gig went along. Really, with that kind of fantasy set, its a bit hard for everyone not to get caught up in it. JuddsTree, the crowd I thought was awesome, there was so much participation, dancing, hand clapping all around. Enough of that.

Wow, that was an amazing performance, it totally destroyed Melbourne 1 in 03, which was actually quite good. That set of songs is priceless, hearing dead man, which has been played about 7 times ever, was very special. Rocking in the Free World was just cracking and that has to be one of the best Even Flow's ever. Inside Job is truly a tremendous song and it really stood out tonight. All up, I reckon that was a classic.

No worries, mate. We all have different views and opinions about how the crowd is. I just felt that it was pretty tame, but I am comparing it to a revved up Brisbane crowd who were, to be honest, very fucking good. I am in no way bagging the band, or the Ten Clubbers who were into it, because there were a lot of us. It was just disappointing, mostly because the band could feel the lack of energy early on. However, the crowd did improve, thanks to Betterman and Daughter, and we got a cracker encore. I'm a happy man, and very much looking forward to tomorrow night :) Just an opinion, that's all. Peace.

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    Crowd did their best, you could tell after the shaky start the band appreciated the effort. Got a feeling tommorow night might be a struggle though.

LONG show. I'm stuffed. :)
  • Options

• Options
    Well my hands are sore, i cant hear a damn thing, my voice is shot to buggery and my arms and legs are absolutely killing me - which adds up to one kickarse night surrounded by 15,000 people of excellent taste and one band that no matter what happens, only seem to get stronger live.

Pearl Jam are an anomoly, they sell less records than they did all those years ago, but have one of the largest live followings in the world of any band belonging to any genre, and if you were there tonight, six rows back, soaked in sweat, yelling like a lunatic and smiling like an idiot, then you understand why.

They utterly ripped Rod Laver a new one, ive seen them on each occasion they have visited these fair shores (was 14 the first time i saw them, where oh where does the time go eh) and tonights performance was by far, in my estimation, superior to any that i have seen before.

There have been some comments regarding the crowd and the bands reaction to the crowd, sure there were sections where they sat down and did nothing, there were some members of 10c that were a little too relaxed at the beginning - but the simple fact is this - no band, i dont care how devoted to their fanbase they are, will play a two and a half hour set with that amount of passion and heart if theyre not feeding off the energy from the crowd. If theyre not digging it, they will cut it short. I thought the crowd around me (six rows back near the kid who got in the shit for smoking) were fantastic, everyone looked after each other and showed respect to others there, and bounced and yelled and carried on all night - i honestly dont see how you came to the view of the crowd being poor. In fact to agree with another poster, i didnt think they wanted to leave.

The banter was excellent, really enjoyed the 'banana' speech lol.

In all, the best show i have ever seen - no exceptions - Thankyou 10c for my tickets, i was stoked. I saw them and the goofy idiotic smile on my face didnt leave and frankly still hasnt left.

Ill post a little later, i just drove two hours home to Maryborough so im a little washed out at the moment.

Glad to hear most of you guys had a ball, was a damn BRILLIANT show.
    "So this life is sacrifice...To a strangers bottom line"
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    who ever says the crowd was bad last night obviosly had no idea what was going on i couldnt even hear eds voice during alive and daughter and we sung betterman for him as well as bits of jeremy and state of love and trust. the crowd was clapping and chanting through the whole show and i think the band appreciated it thats why we got such a long show and great setlist
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    i was suprised there was no worldwide suicide
  • Options
    I didn't post last night cos I was stuffed. I was a bit worried about being able to stand last night for 2.5 hours being pregnant but I didn't even notice it; testament to the band, the show and how pumped I was.

Pretty good 10c seats, slightly to the left of Ed 14 rows back. What can I say about the show? Fantastic, so happy to be there, didn't want it to end. The set list was made in heaven. Highlights for me were:

Wasted reprise is an awesome start to a show, get the crowds vocals warmed up, then straight into Life Wasted....too good

I knew they would play Severed Hand and I knew it would rock live...I went nuts, my favourite from the Avocado and I swear I was floating off the floor.

I was hoping for Army Reserve or Inside job and got both....more than a mere mortal deserves but I'm so grateful.

Animal and Black I have never heard live...what can I say...as good as I thought it would be. Ed's vocals on Black gave me goosebumps, no one has a voice quite like him, the depth and the ability to channel into your soul.

Last encore was stuff dreams are made of. Dead man walking, SOLAT, Comatose, Why Go, Rockin' in the free world, Little wing, Yellow Leadbetter

Got teary more than once at the show, tears of bliss and joy. My ears are still ringing, my voice gone, my palms sore. Life's good, thanks Pearl Jam
    Dear God, save me from your followers

Avocados have a big Stone