Options

*** Melbourne 1 Fanviews Here 13/11/06 ***

Comments

• Options
    Well i must say that was one awesome show, i have seen PJ a heap of times and that would be close to the best ive seen apart from the myer music bowl show what i can remember of it, crowd was great imo always take lil bit to warm up, as for my song of the night hmmmmmmmm evenflow went off but it would go to black the emotion in that arena was during black was awesome, and hearing yellow ledbetter live for the first time in a show i went to was pretty awesome to even if it was interupted, The night had some well rather funny parts to it to eddie's swipe at lil johnny, eddie swings the mic stand around his head and almost ko's him self, stone getting cracked on the head via a tambourine (sp) missile, again awesome night would love to go tonight but....
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    just got back from melbourne 1.

2hr 20min the longest show of the tour so far. it was fantastic to see inside job make its first appearance of the oz tour. what an amazing song. deadman was also a highlight (and replaced growin up on the setlist). parachutes was supposed to be played but was replaced with comeback. know your rights was on the 1st encore setlist but left off completely.

gus seemed to have a pretty awsome show down front. got himself picks, a tambourine and sang some of the outtro of SOLAT after ed tossed him the mic.

after reading the first few posts here, the issue seems to be about the crowd. from where i was sitting, it seemed pretty tame. i mean it got better as the show went along, but compared to brisbane on the weekend, it was pretty conservative. could probably attribute this to a monday night maybe? i feel the thursday Melb3 crowd will probably have a more enthusiastic edge to it. the fact that ed said "it's another tough one" says it all. during DTE ed also sang "rod laver's a church, now sing in the choir" de ja vu to all of us at sydney2!

but hey, it was a pearl jam gig. it was long and it was still fucken awesome.

both brisbane's were 2:20, and with the crowd nonsense, its not nonsense, like this guy said it was tame, the whole of mikes side in the stand was sitting. You're kidding yourself if you think they were actually impressed. Doubt we will get the whole catalogue after last night. It's a shame it takes songs like Better man and daughter to get the crowd going.
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    hjmhjm Posts: 1
    That was an awesom show... too bad i couldn't see. Got my tickets though 10C and got stuck row U on the floor behind 2 really tall guys. :( I'm going again tonight, this time i bought my tickets through ticketek and i am right near the stage on the lower section row C (and it cost less than buying through 10C). I just hope tonight is anywhere near as good as last night and the crowd is into it as much.
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    I can't believe some people actually think the crowd was impressive. I'm sure all of us that disagree are the ones that have been to more then a few shows. Right now I'm thinking the band will think they have no reason to return here when they have been 4 times and it still takes better man to get the crowd going. If they were to play Fatal I bet 9586 ppl wont realise how special it is to hear it live
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    Zim^zuM wrote:
    This was the most "best of" list so far. Can't wait to see where they go with it now. lol @ eddie vedder telling off a security guard who was trying to kick a guy out for smoking, security cunt copped it from the crowd bad then just gave eddie the finger lol. Then half the venue lit up lol

any more details? sort of hard to understand.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • Options
    dunno bout the rest of the 10clubbers, but row R on the floor on the right hand side were GOING OFF!!!!!!!!!!! have never seen a better show in my life!! i couldn't believe how many of the big ones they played.

and my my my, eddie was looking FINE last night
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    ako_oceans wrote:
    Well my hands are sore, i cant hear a damn thing, my voice is shot to buggery and my arms and legs are absolutely killing me - which adds up to one kickarse night surrounded by 15,000 people of excellent taste and one band that no matter what happens, only seem to get stronger live.

Pearl Jam are an anomoly, they sell less records than they did all those years ago, but have one of the largest live followings in the world of any band belonging to any genre, and if you were there tonight, six rows back, soaked in sweat, yelling like a lunatic and smiling like an idiot, then you understand why.

They utterly ripped Rod Laver a new one, ive seen them on each occasion they have visited these fair shores (was 14 the first time i saw them, where oh where does the time go eh) and tonights performance was by far, in my estimation, superior to any that i have seen before.

There have been some comments regarding the crowd and the bands reaction to the crowd, sure there were sections where they sat down and did nothing, there were some members of 10c that were a little too relaxed at the beginning - but the simple fact is this - no band, i dont care how devoted to their fanbase they are, will play a two and a half hour set with that amount of passion and heart if theyre not feeding off the energy from the crowd. If theyre not digging it, they will cut it short. I thought the crowd around me (six rows back near the kid who got in the shit for smoking) were fantastic, everyone looked after each other and showed respect to others there, and bounced and yelled and carried on all night - i honestly dont see how you came to the view of the crowd being poor. In fact to agree with another poster, i didnt think they wanted to leave.

The banter was excellent, really enjoyed the 'banana' speech lol.

In all, the best show i have ever seen - no exceptions - Thankyou 10c for my tickets, i was stoked. I saw them and the goofy idiotic smile on my face didnt leave and frankly still hasnt left.

Ill post a little later, i just drove two hours home to Maryborough so im a little washed out at the moment.

Glad to hear most of you guys had a ball, was a damn BRILLIANT show.

have to say i was SOAKED in sweat too and made friends with a few 10clubbers around me!!! and u live in maryborough!!! i used to go down there for that HPV race lol
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    Rockin' show. All the guys were bouncing, Mike spending most of his time pointing & waving to the crowd!
    I was on the floor on Mike's side and I'm not sure about how it all looked to others, but I was jumping, dancing, singing, waving my arms in the air.... & I know there was plenty of that happening around me too. My hand were raw by the end of the show!!! :D
    I do agree about the upper stands - a number of times I looked up and around & I couldn't believe how 'stiff' a lot of them were. Barely moving, let alone arms in the air - unless Ed went towards them.
    It's a shame & I know all about how it is in the stands. You're almost forced - out of courtesy - to stay seated, otherwise you're obstructing views of those behind. That sucks and unfortunately that's going to be my dilemma for Thurs night.

Mike's pick's just didn't reach where I was standing.....damm!
  • Options
    jesse wrote:
    who ever says the crowd was bad last night obviosly had no idea what was going on i couldnt even hear eds voice during alive and daughter and we sung betterman for him as well as bits of jeremy and state of love and trust. the crowd was clapping and chanting through the whole show and i think the band appreciated it thats why we got such a long show and great setlist

once again, it is just an opinion. firstly, the crowd wasn't "clapping and chanting" the whole night. and secondly, i guess i am comparing last night to brisbane. jeez come back was good last night :)
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    By the way - did anyone else see Tim Robbins in the side of the stage during the 2nd encore rockin' out? Wonder what he was doing in town!

Tim Robbins in town huh? hope for a duet if that was him...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pinkybee wrote:
    Rockin' show. All the guys were bouncing, Mike spending most of his time pointing & waving to the crowd!
    I was on the floor on Mike's side and I'm not sure about how it all looked to others, but I was jumping, dancing, singing, waving my arms in the air.... & I know there was plenty of that happening around me too. My hand were raw by the end of the show!!! :D
    I do agree about the upper stands - a number of times I looked up and around & I couldn't believe how 'stiff' a lot of them were. Barely moving, let alone arms in the air - unless Ed went towards them.
    It's a shame & I know all about how it is in the stands. You're almost forced - out of courtesy - to stay seated, otherwise you're obstructing views of those behind. That sucks and unfortunately that's going to be my dilemma for Thurs night.

Mike's pick's just didn't reach where I was standing.....damm!

no if the elevated crowd wanna sit down like at a theatre play than let them but the good fans back in the bleaches need to stand up its a fucking rock concert the crowds have been pretty bad from what I have read so far hope it picks up for the Adelaide shows next week.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Yeh! Pretty happy with that!
    Sound was good, saw heaps of the ones i wanted to...
    Sadly, all of my photos and videos look like rubbish, so i'll be on the lookout for other people's pics.
    Testament to the good nature of the crowd - the first tambourine ed threw into the crowd was clearly aimed at one girl in the 4th (approximately) row. Everyone knew who it was intended for, and from where i sat, looked like noone else even attempted to snatch it from her. Don't it make you smile...

So ahh, any one have spare tix for Melb 2 or 3?????
    Came all the way from Perth for this, but at the time the tix went on sale i could only afford the Perth tix, and tix for ONE other show. Today, I wish i could go back and buy tix for all 3 Melb shows

Rock
  • Options
    ComatosedComatosed Sydney, Australia Posts: 93
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Funny how you get different perspectives from the same show. I didn't feel the crowd was bad as the previous poster, if the guys didnt like the crowd then why did they play for so long? I kept turning around and there were lots of hands clapping when I looked, seemed to hear a fair bit of singing, will be interested to hear what everybody else has to say but I didnt think the crowd was bad at all.

HAHAHAHAHA Sydney 1 kicked Melbournes ass!!!!!!! They always seem to do the full 2 hours/2 encores no matter what the crowd is doing. It is good to know that the Sydney crowd has kicked the Melbourne crowds ass!!!! You better pick up your game for the next 2 because the last Sydney show is gonna have a massive crowd presence!!!!
    Pearl Jam                                                         Eddie Vedder  
    Sydney - 11/3/1995                                           Sydney - 18/3/2011  
     Sydney - 9/3/1998                                            Sydney - 19/3/2011
     Sydney - 11/3/1998                                          Sydney - 13/2/2014
     Sydney - 12/3/1998
     Sydney - 11/2/2003
     Sydney - 13/2/2003
     Sydney - 14/2/2003
     Sydney - 7/11/2006
     Sydney - 8/11/2006
     Sydney - 18/11/2006
     Sydney - 22/11/2009
     Sydney - 26/1/2014

• Options
    darl77darl77 Posts: 33
    soapyrows wrote:
    dunno bout the rest of the 10clubbers, but row R on the floor on the right hand side were GOING OFF!!!!!!!!!!! have never seen a better show in my life!! i couldn't believe how many of the big ones they played.

and my my my, eddie was looking FINE last night

When doesn't he look FINE???? He is a damn sexy man!
    I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
    i'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired
    i will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
    hey i won't change direction, and i won't change my mind
    how much difference does it make
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    obviosly some people here spent more time judging the crowd than enjoying the show themselves, maybe if they focused on the show instead of judging their surroundings the crowd would have met their expectations stop complaining and join in next time because everyone around me was going off
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    After RITFW they played a Bon Jovi song,

What?!?!?! Please tell me that you're joking. What came after that? Johnny Farnham? Meatloaf?
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    It was a pretty awsome gig. The crowd near me was pretty hyped up and enthusiastic. I taped about an hour of this show on DV, but it is really shakey (due to the crowd next to me bopping) Did anyone else tape it?
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    What?!?!?! Please tell me that you're joking. What came after that? Johnny Farnham? Meatloaf?

this better be a fucking joke!

did the security guard give ed the finger?

• Options
    mj351mj351 Posts: 218
    Thanks to 10C, 4th row, stone's side. Unbelievable night. 10C up front rocked all night, slow start from the rest of the crowd, especially the bleachers on Mike's side, but after a few songs in, everyone got in to it. Can't blame people for only going off after Daughter/Jeremy, otherwise they would be in 10C. The solution would be to do a 10C only show for a couple of thousand. Right up there with Melbourne 1 03. Last encore rocked...
    Sore hands, feet, legs and throat....... and loving it..

Melbourne - 16/3/95, 5/3/98, 18/2/03, 20/2/03, 13/11/06, 16/11/06, 20/11/09, EV 24/3/11 EV 25/3/11, 24/1/14, ....
  • Options
    mj351 wrote:
    Thanks to 10C, 4th row, stone's side. Unbelievable night. 10C up front rocked all night, slow start from the rest of the crowd, especially the bleachers on Mike's side, but after a few songs in, everyone got in to it. Can't blame people for only going off after Daughter/Jeremy, otherwise they would be in 10C. The solution would be to do a 10C only show for a couple of thousand. Right up there with Melbourne 1 03. Last encore rocked...
    Sore hands, feet, legs and throat....... and loving it..

cool.... nice first post.

• Options
    By the way - did anyone else see Tim Robbins in the side of the stage during the 2nd encore rockin' out? Wonder what he was doing in town!

yea i saw him he walked right past me i was 5th row last seat on mikes side, i was wearing the backwards pearl jam cap........

the crowd was slow at the start but picked up

black was definitely the highlight

i saw all you guys starting the waves and warney chants haha
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    0---|-2----0h7h9---7vvv--2-2-2-|-2----0h7h9--7-9b10r9-7-0-|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• Options
    where to start :eek:

first pj show for pappas and i and his mate nick... had row V 10c which is about halfway down the 2nd block

stupid girls... took 2 seat in front of us... then the proper 10c members came and kicked em out... hahaha as if a 10c member wouldn't rock up

crowd... mixed... there were times when i thought 'do harry and i only know the lyrics?' but in gerneral was ok, 2 guys in front of us (california avo dude - great idea to take the setlist from the soundmixer!) were rocking out

people in front of us just stood... without emotion all night :mad:

girl near us had a 'give us one last kiss' sign... another girl 2 rows ahead had 'JEFF' on a pillowcase... nice :o

show... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: :D :eek:

wasted reprise as opener... won't say im disappointed (haha) but now when some1 asks 'whats the 1st pj song u heard live' i feel funny saying WR :p

pretty damn happy with the set for my first show
    ... SOLAT!!! once why go g2f YL... these i wanted to hear pretty damn bad! avo songs were sweet, little sad no WWS!

lady next to me sat down when black started... :eek: i apologize for any1 around me as i couldn't contain the squeel... hope no mics were around :D

other 10c people... pretty sure i saw tommyphillips on the way to the toilets but sorry dude.. i was busting, no time to stop :p

trev... nice spot in the stands! lucky bastard got moved closer!

honestly couldn't see the stage much but it didn't even bother me, i was lost in my own little world just soaking it all in :)

wtf is with the heat sensitive airport taps.. caught me by suprise and i looked like i pissed myself... :eek: bahahaaa ok getting o/t..

guess i'll see you lot in adelaide!!!

*edit*

GUS!! think we're staying at the same accom... i left the door open for u last night and didnt realise it was u til the guys said 'that was gus'

so... nice to kinda meet you :o
    wah
  • Options
    where to start :eek:

first pj show for pappas and i and his mate nick... had row V 10c which is about halfway down the 2nd block

stupid girls... took 2 seat in front of us... then the proper 10c members came and kicked em out... hahaha as if a 10c member wouldn't rock up

crowd... mixed... there were times when i thought 'do harry and i only know the lyrics?' but in gerneral was ok, 2 guys in front of us (california avo dude - great idea to take the setlist from the soundmixer!) were rocking out

people in front of us just stood... without emotion all night :mad:

girl near us had a 'give us one last kiss' sign... another girl 2 rows ahead had 'JEFF' on a pillowcase... nice :o

show... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: :D :eek:

wasted reprise as opener... won't say im disappointed (haha) but now when some1 asks 'whats the 1st pj song u heard live' i feel funny saying WR :p

pretty damn happy with the set for my first show
    ... SOLAT!!! once why go g2f YL... these i wanted to hear pretty damn bad! avo songs were sweet, little sad no WWS!

lady next to me sat down when black started... :eek: i apologize for any1 around me as i couldn't contain the squeel... hope no mics were around :D

other 10c people... pretty sure i saw tommyphillips on the way to the toilets but sorry dude.. i was busting, no time to stop :p

trev... nice spot in the stands! lucky bastard got moved closer!

honestly couldn't see the stage much but it didn't even bother me, i was lost in my own little world just soaking it all in :)

wtf is with the heat sensitive airport taps.. caught me by suprise and i looked like i pissed myself... :eek: bahahaaa ok getting o/t..

guess i'll see you lot in adelaide!!!

*edit*

GUS!! think we're staying at the same accom... i left the door open for u last night and didnt realise it was u til the guys said 'that was gus'

so... nice to kinda meet you :o

cool stella... haha i wanna buy the boot to hear the girl squealing before black!

• Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    West wrote:
    All this crowd nonsense. Everyone was very enthusiastic except for maybe the ones packed up at the rafters. It's a bit hard to get into it up there. Other than that you really can't expect a fully intense crowd in Rod Laver Arena with chairs everywhere. You could tell Ed was really appreciative as the the gig went along. Really, with that kind of fantasy set, its a bit hard for everyone not to get caught up in it. JuddsTree, the crowd I thought was awesome, there was so much participation, dancing, hand clapping all around. Enough of that.

Wow, that was an amazing performance, it totally destroyed Melbourne 1 in 03, which was actually quite good. That set of songs is priceless, hearing dead man, which has been played about 7 times ever, was very special. Rocking in the Free World was just cracking and that has to be one of the best Even Flow's ever. Inside Job is truly a tremendous song and it really stood out tonight. All up, I reckon that was a classic.

Great post. Nice to know so many of us enjoyed ourselves, it was a classic show like you say and for me the best one I've been to so far, not that I've been to that many. As far as I'm concerned the crowd were just fine. Yes, a little reserved in the third tier but it's difficult up there cos the band aren't all that loud up in the nosebleeds. I agree with you and thought the crowd participation was great, I kept looking around and people were up singing and clapping. Like I said, my hands are literally bruised with all the clapping I did! Everyone participated really well with the singing, I was down on the floor with the 10clubbers, 13th row towards Mike's side and it was awesome! Everyone sang the "do do do do dos", first verse of Betterman, lots of singing. In fact I seemed to hear everyone singing all around me, I must have sung for about half the night and no-one told me to shut up. No obvious drunks around me, no-one being offensive, no-one talking through the band, and no-one puking! Really everyone appeared to be there to hear the band and us 10clubbers got into it with a vengence. Looking forward to more of the same tonight, probably a different experience with the 10clubbers scattered everywhere.
  • Options
    jesse wrote:
    i was suprised there was no worldwide suicide

We will prob get it tonight or tomorrow night, I'm sure it's on the agenda!
  • Options
    I dont think the chairs debate holds much water seeing there was seated shows in most (except for SF) in the states and they were mental (I can only speak for west coast).

• Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    what a great show, awesome setlist good crowd, 30 songs if you include little wing. ed was heaps drunk too. i picked a few songs. did anyone hear someone shout out insignifiance when ed was talking before it. hope i make it on the boots hehe
    will be tough to beat.

anyone going for pre show beers tonight?

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    ved_zep wrote:
    yea i saw him he walked right past me i was 5th row last seat on mikes side, i was wearing the backwards pearl jam cap........

the crowd was slow at the start but picked up

black was definitely the highlight

i saw all you guys starting the waves and warney chants haha

Yeah bro, i was the guy with the shaved head and glasses sweating my arse off a row or two behind ya.
    "So this life is sacrifice...To a strangers bottom line"
  • Options
    I knew they were going to launch into insignificance when Ed said what he said about Seattle. I was trying to get the word out to my daughter when they burst into it. Why are people comparing our crowds to Sydney's and Brisbane's? Does it really matter? I mean I enjoy Pearl Jam for what they do, never mind how much better or worse the crowd was in a certain city. Each show is different and the dynamics are never going to be the same at each venue. This crowd definitely didn't suck, you're rarely going to get to a show where everyone is rocking because there are always people who just want to sit/stand without moving around. Thought the 10clubbers were just fine. I am literally sore with all the jumping around, especially the palms of my hands.
  • Options
    just a very quick post on behalf of megan and i...

great first show of our tour! was the best feeling to be sorounded by so many fellow 10 clubbers. we got row 10 mike's side.

great set from kings.... we're both fans though so we're bias.

very solid main set from pj. good to see leatherman, animal and stbc. very rockin. megan cried alot during alive, not cos an all time favourite of hers or anything but cos she really feels those lyrics when she sees it live. my highlight would probably have to be dead man which is one of my fave's... but there were plenty of other highlights too. loved his howard/bush/banana speach. loved why go and little wing as well.

we're off to taxi for lunch... see you lot for round 2 tonight

peace
    wr

if nothing is everything i would have it all