Donald Trump

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    is there a liberal version of tucker carlson people on this forum have been watching that I'm not aware of? my lord. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited August 2022
    is there a liberal version of tucker carlson people on this forum have been watching that I'm not aware of? my lord. 
    Why? The civil war stuff? Far right is openly talking about it and they've already attempted to thwart the certification of the last election, and they are currently running for local and state levels of government to tip the scales of future elections....is it not far fetched to think they might try something else?
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    I would think some of the people who thought they were ready to take up arms for tfg have had second thoughts after seeing what’s happened to some of the 1/6 participants. He played those people for fools. 

I am concerned about localized violence in some parts of the country. I’m not at all however, worried about a civil war. Not at this point. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    They said trump would beat Clinton… he did
    they said they were going to storm the capital… they did 

they said there is a civil war coming

they said a lot of other stuff too that seemed crazy at the time. They did it all 

im just listening to them 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    No, just Tucker Carlson. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Some folks really haven’t been paying attention since at least before Charlottesville unless you think our intelligence services are Fucker Carlson adherents when they claimed the greatest terrorism threat to the US currently is domestic terrorists in the form of white supremacy and white nationalism. Hey, but 1/6 was a tourist visit, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

they said a lot of other stuff too that seemed crazy at the time. They did it all 

the "theys" in these scenarios are all from a wide cross section of people, not one group. Michael Moore, for example, falls into group number 1. 

civil war is a far, far cry from a few thousand people storming the capitol. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Where are the protests and violence today? Is there a news blackout? Surely 35% of the country is marching to war,  singing the Grapes of Wrath. 
    Bad things happening take time. Wait until he's arrested and charged with a crime, remanded to home confinement with an ankle monitor and surrenders his passport(s). Remember the Bundy Ranch?
    I remember 10 guys holed up.  They didn't get close to taking over the country.

Yeah these guys were a real threat to the US govt.  A drone could have wiped them out if the govt were inclined to do so.  Their power came from the knowledge that the the govt wouldn't harm them unless in defense. Seriously,  you think they couldn't have been eliminated in ten minutes?
    Stop and think about what a drone strike on US  citizens, on US soil, in the absence of due process would result in. For just a minute. Guess you don’t think that would be a “bad thing?” Good lord is this country fucked.
    I do know.  Again,  that's my point.  Bundy and crew knew that too.  But if we really were having a "civil war", they would be wiped out. These guys are cos players and only the morons don't know how they have zero chance against the govt.  

You guys are making my point about how all this talk is fanciful.  

I was on a plane to Chicago yesterday and was picked up by the ceo of one of our suppliers.  He's a legging R.  He don't give a crap about Trump or this.  I asked him these same questions and his attitude was as I suspected.  No way is he giving up anything for the idiot Trump. 

Please consider your perspective. Your professional and likely personal circle of Rs are probably a hell of a lot more moderate than trumps base. The ones who will believe any lie, any, mouthed by any trump supporter.

Two things to consider, seemingly unrelated, that make moderate Rs almost as dangerous as the base. 1, the dangerous rhetoric of Ted Cruz, encouraging violence against democrats. Not saying he will be successful, but there have been far too many psychos weaponized by this right wing rhetoric since trump emerged. When will “reasonable moderates” stand up in unison and declare they are leaving the party after Jan six (and Cruz’ violent rhetoric) and the continued violence against Americans that plenty of powerful Rs currently espouse.

2, trumps lawyer attacking the DOJ, openly saying they have nothing from the raid and this was an outrageous attack against a former president. This is giving the base even more power currently, and moderates have been complicit, at least according to polling and primaries. All that momentum supposedly gained by the hearings? Seemingly gone in a week. Who is to blame? A lot of that blame falls on moderates.

these two are not alone, but I highlight as an example of how dangerous the base is. What makes moderates dangerous, perhaps professional colleagues of yours, is many of them will vote R no matter what, even in the face of this dishonest and violent rhetoric. The moderates are handing the extremists their power. If you have any doubts, consider how many primaries  election deniers have won this spring/summer.
    edited August 2022

the "theys" in these scenarios are all from a wide cross section of people, not one group. Michael Moore, for example, falls into group number 1. 

Mainstream republicans are scared of them too.  However, whatever they start is going to force sides to be taken. They haven’t shown any indication they won’t go along with the fringe. They always do 

it’s not that far fetched to see how it snowballs into 70 million people.

WW1 started when everyone got dragged into a regional issue. Our civil war had people who couldn’t fight against their home states.  Look at Robert E Lee.  He was offered the Union job but couldn’t fight against Virginia.  I don’t think he was a true believer 

might be a small risk, but the risk isn’t zero.  History is littered with empires that crumbled.  Every one does eventually no matter how improbable it seemed 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Mainstream republicans are scared of them too.  However, whatever they start is going to force sides to be taken. They haven’t shown any indication they won’t go along with the fringe. They always do 

WW1 started when everyone got dragged into a regional issue. Our civil war had people who couldn’t fight against their home states.  Look at Robert E Lee.  He was offered the Union job but couldn’t fight against Virginia.  I don’t think he was a true believer 

might be a small risk, but the risk isn’t zero 

I’ve pushed the same thought with mr russ, moderates are almost as dangerous as the base, since there are clearly not enough of them to control the party, and moderates will likely vote R because trump and others know the simple talking points that keep them in line, and handing power to the extremists of the party.

To Hugh’s point, I think plenty are forgetting the civil war can be bloodless. When there are moderates and independents willing to shrug their shoulders after trump, after all the crap they put the country through? We see that even on this liberal forum all the time. Rs control 25 states, are using gerrymandering to control certain swing states, they have a stranglehold on the courts, and are planning to use state legislatures to control the White House and all federal elections. How is this not a bloodless civil war?

Where are the wave of 2018 voters who said 2017-2018 trumpism was disgusting and he needs to go? A lot of them returned to the Rs in 2020, and according to polls, a lot more will be voting R this year. After Jan 6? After Cruz threatening violence against American citizens? Really independents and moderates?

as a footnote, Of the ten House Rs who voted to impeach just last year , as of this morning, 8 are gone. 
    moderate R's will continue to vote R regionally, as they believe that is still a safe and ethical choice. 
    moderate R's will likely not vote trump if he's on the ticket in 2024. and he desperately needs them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2022
    moderate R's will continue to vote R regionally, as they believe that is still a safe and ethical choice. 
    moderate R's will likely not vote trump if he's on the ticket in 2024. and he desperately needs them. 
    I really really hope you are right 

I’ve toyed with the thought of hoping trump gets the nomination for that reason.  However it’s a huge gamble 

kind of reminds me of Kansas though.  When it’s just abortion and a direct vote you’ve got 60 percent supporting pro choice.  If it’s a legislation thing, it’s 60 percent voting for republicans who will outlaw it. Kansas showed one thing.  A Democratic position can pass only when republicans don’t have to actually vote for a democrat.   It’s easier to vote for a position than it is to vote for a different party 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    gift article of the search.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    cue halifax......

Trump says he took the Fifth Amendment in NY investigation
    By MICHAEL BALSAMO, MICHAEL R. SISAK and MICHELLE L. PRICE
    14 mins ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump invoked the Fifth Amendment and wouldn't answer questions under oath in the New York attorney general's long-running civil investigation into his business dealings, the former president said in a statement Wednesday.

Trump arrived at state Attorney General Letitia James' offices in a motorcade shortly before 9 a.m., announcing more than an hour later that he "declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution.”

“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?' Now I know the answer to that question,” the statement said. “When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors and the Fake News Media, you have no choice.”

continues......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

might be a small risk, but the risk isn’t zero.  History is littered with empires that crumbled.  Every one does eventually no matter how improbable it seemed 
    The civil war was regional.  The political affiliation today is rural v urban.  I really don't think that are good analogies. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Rachel Maddcow?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

I’ve toyed with the thought of hoping trump gets the nomination for that reason.  However it’s a huge gamble 

kind of reminds me of Kansas though.  When it’s just abortion and a direct vote you’ve got 60 percent supporting pro choice.  If it’s a legislation thing, it’s 60 percent voting for republicans who will outlaw it. Kansas showed one thing.  A Democratic position can pass only when republicans don’t have to actually vote for a democrat.   It’s easier to vote for a position than it is to vote for a different party 
    I'm going to be surprised if he is the nominee. Even if he says he is running soon I think he will bow out about a year from now. He will only do that to raise money and stoke his ego.

The GOP does not want that fucker to run. He'll leave before the other potential nominees have to start trashing him.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    static111 said:

Rachel Maddcow?
    Not at all. 

She can be just as biased without being as dishonest and hyperbolic.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Urbanites vs Farmers!! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I think many moderate Rs don't want to see 4 more years of a democrat presidency and will vote for whoever is at the top of the ticket.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden

I'm going to be surprised if he is the nominee. Even if he says he is running soon I think he will bow out about a year from now. He will only do that to raise money and stoke his ego.

The GOP does not want that fucker to run. He'll leave before the other potential nominees have to start trashing him.
    They might not want it, but they have wasted literally every opportunity to throw him under the bus.  I have to think the GOP could have been rid of him by now if they wanted it.  Even after Jan 6th if they kept up that narrative and removed him from office, people would have moved on.  As long as they let him hang around, they are stuck with him 
    static111 said:
    I think many moderate Rs don't want to see 4 more years of a democrat presidency and will vote for whoever is at the top of the ticket.
    And P-O-O-T-W-H was his name-o.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    it's the Lindsey Graham Effect. 

2015: a kook, crazy
    2016: the most consequential president in history
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm not sure other nominees will trash him. I am sure the Party would be OK if he just bowed out...in fact they'd love it. They would no longer have to walk that tightrope. But they know how much of their base worships him. I think they'll have a hard time trying to send the message of "choose me over Trump." They can't say that he ever lost an election. They can't say that he did anything wrong on January 6. They can't say he ever did anything illegal.

The best thing for the party is for Trump to "retire." Joke's on the party, though, because not only does he care about himself more than the country, but also more than the party. If he decides to run, the party is stuck continuing to suck up to him.

If he runs, there's a good chance he becomes the nominee. That said, a really small field could get interesting. Say the only notable names that run are Trump, DeSantis, and Kasich. Any way Kasich benefits off of a split "crazy" vote? I don't think the party wants Kasich...I think they want someone that will continue the path towards one-party autocracy. But that party doesn't control its primaries the way the Dems do.

If I had to guess now, Trump will bow out with DeSantis giving him the promise that he won't let anything bad happen to him or his family. DeSantis/Gabbard in an easy win.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Desantis should literally run on "Trump With A Brain". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2022
    OnWis97 said:

I'm not sure other nominees will trash him. I am sure the Party would be OK if he just bowed out...in fact they'd love it. They would no longer have to walk that tightrope. But they know how much of their base worships him. I think they'll have a hard time trying to send the message of "choose me over Trump." They can't say that he ever lost an election. They can't say that he did anything wrong on January 6. They can't say he ever did anything illegal.

The best thing for the party is for Trump to "retire." Joke's on the party, though, because not only does he care about himself more than the country, but also more than the party. If he decides to run, the party is stuck continuing to suck up to him.

If he runs, there's a good chance he becomes the nominee. That said, a really small field could get interesting. Say the only notable names that run are Trump, DeSantis, and Kasich. Any way Kasich benefits off of a split "crazy" vote? I don't think the party wants Kasich...I think they want someone that will continue the path towards one-party autocracy. But that party doesn't control its primaries the way the Dems do.

If I had to guess now, Trump will bow out with DeSantis giving him the promise that he won't let anything bad happen to him or his family. DeSantis/Gabbard in an easy win.
    Which is POOTWH more polished. But you forgot “Mother” in the mix and there is no way any of them criticize or slam the Dear Leader, they need that 35% of the base. Kasich won’t have the money and is considered a RINO. I’d be surprised if he makes it past NH. The nomination is POOTWH’s for the taking and he wants it to be insulated from all of the pending legal witch hunts pending. No way he declines it. POOTWH/Deathsantis in another stolen election.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
    I actually think DeSantis is meaner than Trump. Trump just did whatever he did for himself, which often involved going with the christofascist flow (despite being, I would guess, an agnostic).

DeSantis, if he could, would get draconian in punishing women and abortion providers. He's already shown he wants to go after "woke" corporations. Trump wasn't even smart enough for this, but DeSantis wants an entire country that conforms to "tradition" and those that don't should be dealt with severely.
    edited August 2022
    OnWis97 said:
    I actually think DeSantis is meaner than Trump. Trump just did whatever he did for himself, which often involved going with the christofascist flow (despite being, I would guess, an agnostic).

DeSantis, if he could, would get draconian in punishing women and abortion providers. He's already shown he wants to go after "woke" corporations. Trump wasn't even smart enough for this, but DeSantis wants an entire country that conforms to "tradition" and those that don't should be dealt with severely.
    Wouldn’t it be wild if he lost the governor’s race in Florida?

does he still run?

it’s going to be close no matter what but I could see trump supporters voting democrat only to hurt his presidential run.  If you can’t get elected to be the governor of Florida how do you win a presidential primary?
    mickeyrat said:
    cue halifax......

Trump says he took the Fifth Amendment in NY investigation
    By MICHAEL BALSAMO, MICHAEL R. SISAK and MICHELLE L. PRICE
    14 mins ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump invoked the Fifth Amendment and wouldn't answer questions under oath in the New York attorney general's long-running civil investigation into his business dealings, the former president said in a statement Wednesday.

Trump arrived at state Attorney General Letitia James' offices in a motorcade shortly before 9 a.m., announcing more than an hour later that he "declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution.”

“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?' Now I know the answer to that question,” the statement said. “When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors and the Fake News Media, you have no choice.”

continues......

nothing?

This discussion has been closed.