I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mickeyrat said:

You have had a productive day. Nice!
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

You have had a productive day. Nice!

one of my go to's recently moved. First time in the new space....

The PJ/Frogs 45 was just brought in today....

Ringing me up with the bushleager 45 he mentions seeing the other.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Pre-order off VMP. Expected to ship in October.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Went to this dump to pick through lps. It was a mess. Piles of lps. Pulled a few out and the dude wanted $35.  Found an Ol dirty Bastard single, Jefferson airplane (worst of) and a couple others. I walked. Stinks because I took all that time getting the good ones out. Now seller will just put them at the counter from beneath the dirt and grime. Oh well. I didn't need them anyway. Should have been 3 bucks each imho.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Picked up a Record Doctor VI. Seems to do the job. Got some really filthy LPs that I’m going to give a go on tomorrow.
    Loujoe said:
    Went to this dump to pick through lps. It was a mess. Piles of lps. Pulled a few out and the dude wanted $35.  Found an Ol dirty Bastard single, Jefferson airplane (worst of) and a couple others. I walked. Stinks because I took all that time getting the good ones out. Now seller will just put them at the counter from beneath the dirt and grime. Oh well. I didn't need them anyway. Should have been 3 bucks each imho.
    😂
    Also went over to Newbury Comics website. 
    Sleater Kinney - Path of Wellness exclusive limited edition (600 copies) coloured vinyl is on sale for $9.99

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:

That is a cool damn cover!
    edited August 2022
    mickeyrat said:

trifold. the 3 lp set on 2 1/2 sides with the last an etching of their "star"

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I haven’t opened mine.  Seen a lot of comments about pretty large warps.  More than the 5 LP which were just more dished

how is yours?
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I haven’t opened mine.  Seen a lot of comments about pretty large warps.  More than the 5 LP which were just more dished

how is yours?

still sealed. think this is just a Czech problem?

am not concerned either way. give me an excuse to bust out the vinyl flat for the first time.....

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

how is yours?

am not concerned either way. give me an excuse to bust out the vinyl flat for the first time.....
    I’ve used mine probably 75 times with no issues. Then I melted in rainbows 45rpm at less than 130 degrees. Now I’m a bit gun shy about using it. 

Something was off about that particular vinyl formulation as there was something sticky on the top layer that melted into the grooves.  It wasn’t the actual vinyl that melted it was something else 

that one hurt and I still can’t figure it out.  I could have forgotten the felt pad between the record and the metal.  I doubt I did but it’s the only thing that makes sense 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited August 2022
    GlowGirl said: I knew the guy was still going through that massive collection he bought. I think there were 19,000 records he got from the same collection. 
    Are we talking about the late Tom Burgess' collection?

Excerpt from the book Record Store Day: The Most Improbable Comeback Of The 21st Century

Covid-19 claimed the life of one regular Record Store Day shopper named Tom Burgess, who I never met but consider a kindred spirit for being a music lover and an adjunct professor. I learned of Tom's death because of his record collection of a hundred thousand LPs, representing a who's who of rock, jazz, classical, and world music, being on sale for the first six months of 2021 a block-and-a-half away from where I live in Manhattan's Washington Heights. There were also twice as many books of all genres. Among my RSD finds, originally purchased by Burgess, included a sealed copy of a holy grail, the 2014 release of Donny Hathaway's Live at the Bitter End 1971. I knew of the album but never saw it before. It felt almost sacrilegious to obtain it this way. I also bought that day the 2013 RSD release The Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal, which I once saw elsewhere years ago but kicked myself for not adding it to my collection. I picked up Tom's unopened copy of the RSD reissue of The Dresden Dolls, although I decided to leave for another crate-digger Flaming Lips' 2013 RSD Zaireeka boxed set. I didn't want to come off as too greedy. As it turns out, Tom and I taught at the same college, CUNY's Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) in downtown Manhattan, although I was there for only the fall semester for English 101, whereas he was there for two decades teaching anthropology and sociology. BMCC is a few blocks away from the large J&R Music World store that closed in 2014. [...] Based on all of the J&R bags I found at the pop-up store, Tom spent a lot of money there. I find it most heartbreaking that Tom didn't get a chance to listen to so much of his collection - lots of sealed records remained in unopened J&R bags. Literally dozens of RSD vinyl titles - mostly unopened - dating back to its earliest days showed how Tom embraced the annual holiday year after year. I purchased from his impressive collection about two hundred LPs, a hundred 45s, several dozen CDs, and about hald dozen CD boxed sets. 
    ~ Larry Jaffee
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Pap said:
    GlowGirl said: I knew the guy was still going through that massive collection he bought. I think there were 19,000 records he got from the same collection. 
    Are we talking about the late Tom Burgess' collection?

Excerpt from the book Record Store Day: The Most Improbable Comeback Of The 21st Century

Covid-19 claimed the life of one regular Record Store Day shopper named Tom Burgess, who I never met but consider a kindred spirit for being a music lover and an adjunct professor. I learned of Tom's death because of his record collection of a hundred thousand LPs, representing a who's who of rock, jazz, classical, and world music, being on sale for the first six months of 2021 a block-and-a-half away from where I live in Manhattan's Washington Heights. There were also twice as many books of all genres. Among my RSD finds, originally purchased by Burgess, included a sealed copy of a holy grail, the 2014 release of Donny Hathaway's Live at the Bitter End 1971. I knew of the album but never saw it before. It felt almost sacrilegious to obtain it this way. I also bought that day the 2013 RSD release The Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal, which I once saw elsewhere years ago but kicked myself for not adding it to my collection. I picked up Tom's unopened copy of the RSD reissue of The Dresden Dolls, although I decided to leave for another crate-digger Flaming Lips' 2013 RSD Zaireeka boxed set. I didn't want to come off as too greedy. As it turns out, Tom and I taught at the same college, CUNY's Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) in downtown Manhattan, although I was there for only the fall semester for English 101, whereas he was there for two decades teaching anthropology and sociology. BMCC is a few blocks away from the large J&R Music World store that closed in 2014. [...] Based on all of the J&R bags I found at the pop-up store, Tom spent a lot of money there. I find it most heartbreaking that Tom didn't get a chance to listen to so much of his collection - lots of sealed records remained in unopened J&R bags. Literally dozens of RSD vinyl titles - mostly unopened - dating back to its earliest days showed how Tom embraced the annual holiday year after year. I purchased from his impressive collection about two hundred LPs, a hundred 45s, several dozen CDs, and about hald dozen CD boxed sets. 
    ~ Larry Jaffee
    Interesting.. I am not sure. I can ask the guy next time I go in. I do know that I got the first four Pearl Jam albums and Mirrorball - original pressings - sealed -  from this big collection he got. He did mention that there were a lot of sealed records in it - and doubles as well. He had two sealed copies of Vitalogy. He did say the collection he got ended around 1996/1997 - so maybe not-since the one you described above had stuff from 2013. But maybe my record store guy got part of it. I plan to go in there again soon to see what else he found since he is going through it slowly. I think he mentioned finding some Metallica. Luckily the store is less than a 5 minute walk from my apartment.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

how is yours?

I’ve used mine probably 75 times with no issues. Then I melted in rainbows 45rpm at less than 130 degrees. Now I’m a bit gun shy about using it. 

Something was off about that particular vinyl formulation as there was something sticky on the top layer that melted into the grooves.  It wasn’t the actual vinyl that melted it was something else 

that one hurt and I still can’t figure it out.  I could have forgotten the felt pad between the record and the metal.  I doubt I did but it’s the only thing that makes sense 

so have opened it to check. a/b has a slight warp. seems more natural? slow build across a wider section?
    c/d has definite warp in one spot.
    e/etch is slightly dished. the way that the deluxe lps were. minor but you can tell placing it on the spindle.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    FINALLY received my King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard Live in London, after 4 months, lol.

Also got The Weeks 7" singles for Comin Down b/w Paper Mache Houses.

Oh and my Clear Earthlings!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Deluxe 7 LP Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on red gold! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    edited August 2022
    Post edited by jazzbo26 on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Love this record. $37.99 Pretty cheap for vinyl here in Australia. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

I can’t wIt!!!
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts on the Pumpkins record. Mine's on its way.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I don't know why I got rid of this record sometime long ago- maybe for need of food or rent, who knows- but I was thrilled to pick up a great looking/sounding copy of this for a mere $3 today.  Made my day!
    Primary

Santana – Abraxas

Label:Columbia – KC 30130
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Santa Maria Pressing
    Released:Nov 1970
    Genre:Rock, Latin
    Style:Fusion, Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

^^^* Amazing record. 
    Waited it out for about 5 years and finally found a reasonably priced copy of this 10” in VG+ condition from a reputable seller. Can’t wait to spin this. IME before they went downhill with the pop songs, fancy haircuts and boy band outfits which was popular but they lost me. 

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Waited it out for about 5 years and finally found a reasonably priced copy of this 10” in VG+ condition from a reputable seller. Can’t wait to spin this. IME before they went downhill with the pop songs, fancy haircuts and boy band outfits which was popular but they lost me. 

I didn’t know this existed before
    May 30th said:

I didn’t know this existed before
    Right? I’m pretty excited to crank Rain Will Fall and Levitate, best songs off Dig imo.  I’m not even sure I’ve heard the last two songs on Side B before