Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    If Rubin can produce as interesting an album from Neil as Dan Lanois managed to (Le Noise) then I'm all for this.
    Right on, Edved.  Le Noise is a surprisingly under-appreciated album in Neil's catalog.  I think it's one of his best!

I like that one a lot. The prices for vinyl copies have skyrocketed, hopefully its on Neil's re-release list!

I really needs to be!  I passed on a copy when it came out because at the time it seemed like too much to pay for an album (I think it was $24, but then,at the time, I was not making much money).  And then a few years later, I decided I could get it but it had gone out of print fast and the prices had gone way up.  So I kept watching for an affordable copy and finally lucked out BIG TIME and found a copy on eBay a few years ago, sealed, for (I think it was) $40.  I couldn't believe my luck!  And knowing how much a lot of Neil fans would love it, I'm really hoping a reissue happens.  It just needs to!

That's a damn good price! I saw one in a London record store when I was over there on holidays earlier in the year, and got excited until I saw it was £120 - way too much for my price range. Might luck out at a record fair or something sometime!
    For sure.  That was one LUCKY score! I hope you find one too at a reasonable price.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!

Great breakdown there, Goldrush!    I hadn't thought of it, but yes, Toast definitely works in tandem with Sleeps and Broken Arrow.  Are You Passionate has it moments, but when I listened to Toast today, I felt a strange sense of elation- not just because the record is great, but because it was like finding a huge piece of something missing that I didn't even know I was missing.

I hope you vinyl copy is good.  Mine has two tiny little clicks- not distracting at all- and otherwise sounds excellent.  A few people on the Hoffman site have complained about it being "crappy vinyl".  I have to wonder if the didn't give it a good cleaning first?  I find that if I clean new vinyl, it almost always sounds great and have had very few problems. 

As far as sound goes- "Boom Boom Boom" sounds a bit murky to me, but it's my least favorite song anyway.  "Going Home" on this vinyl edition sounds terrific- so much better than on Passionate.  Everything else sounds great too.  I couldn't be happier!

My Toast vinyl (and CD) finally arrived today. It sounds so good!
    I agree that Goin' Home is a real standout, although I won't be able to compare it to the Are You Passionate vinyl unless someone wants to donate a copy to me!  :D
    Even if the AYP prices weren't ridiculous, I'm even less likely to buy it now because Toast is so much better.

Great to hear!  I think "Going Home" sounds more focused and up front on Toast, but with my bad tinnitus, I may not be the best judge!  Sure sounds good to me though. 
    Yeah, for the money, AYP to me is just too inconsistent to be worth what it's going for these days.  At those prices, I probably would not replace it considering what it costs, especially, as you say, with Toast out there now.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2022
    I don't want Toast to be better than Are you Passionate. But my brother said it is.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    If Rubin can produce as interesting an album from Neil as Dan Lanois managed to (Le Noise) then I'm all for this.
    Right on, Edved.  Le Noise is a surprisingly under-appreciated album in Neil's catalog.  I think it's one of his best!

I like that one a lot. The prices for vinyl copies have skyrocketed, hopefully its on Neil's re-release list!

I really needs to be!  I passed on a copy when it came out because at the time it seemed like too much to pay for an album (I think it was $24, but then,at the time, I was not making much money).  And then a few years later, I decided I could get it but it had gone out of print fast and the prices had gone way up.  So I kept watching for an affordable copy and finally lucked out BIG TIME and found a copy on eBay a few years ago, sealed, for (I think it was) $40.  I couldn't believe my luck!  And knowing how much a lot of Neil fans would love it, I'm really hoping a reissue happens.  It just needs to!

That's a damn good price! I saw one in a London record store when I was over there on holidays earlier in the year, and got excited until I saw it was £120 - way too much for my price range. Might luck out at a record fair or something sometime!
    For sure.  That was one LUCKY score! I hope you find one too at a reasonable price.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!

Great breakdown there, Goldrush!    I hadn't thought of it, but yes, Toast definitely works in tandem with Sleeps and Broken Arrow.  Are You Passionate has it moments, but when I listened to Toast today, I felt a strange sense of elation- not just because the record is great, but because it was like finding a huge piece of something missing that I didn't even know I was missing.

I hope you vinyl copy is good.  Mine has two tiny little clicks- not distracting at all- and otherwise sounds excellent.  A few people on the Hoffman site have complained about it being "crappy vinyl".  I have to wonder if the didn't give it a good cleaning first?  I find that if I clean new vinyl, it almost always sounds great and have had very few problems. 

As far as sound goes- "Boom Boom Boom" sounds a bit murky to me, but it's my least favorite song anyway.  "Going Home" on this vinyl edition sounds terrific- so much better than on Passionate.  Everything else sounds great too.  I couldn't be happier!

My Toast vinyl (and CD) finally arrived today. It sounds so good!
    I agree that Goin' Home is a real standout, although I won't be able to compare it to the Are You Passionate vinyl unless someone wants to donate a copy to me!  :D
    Even if the AYP prices weren't ridiculous, I'm even less likely to buy it now because Toast is so much better.

Great to hear!  I think "Going Home" sounds more focused and up front on Toast, but with my bad tinnitus, I may not be the best judge!  Sure sounds good to me though. 
    Yeah, for the money, AYP to me is just too inconsistent to be worth what it's going for these days.  At those prices, I probably would not replace it considering what it costs, especially, as you say, with Toast out there now.
    AYP will probably be reissued in one of the vinyl boxes eventually. I can wait until then.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Didn't Bob and Neil do a song together in Dublin 2019. 

That should have been included on Noise & Flowers
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

Got this OG sealed from my local shop today. 
    GlowGirl said:

Stellar!  Not a whole bunch of sealed copies of those out there!
    I put the hype stick from mine on the inside rear window of my van years ago.  My nephew still has that van up in Washington, so it still cruising around up there in the greater Seattle area!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    GlowGirl said:

Nice! Great find! 

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Nice!

(Tim Rogers)
    An update on Alchemy and another live Horse record from 2001, A Long Time Now

(Tim Rogers)
    edited August 2022
    Neil also spoke about the Bridge School Concerts

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • TOAST is the best album of the year. Stellar as hell. Love Are you Passionate. And love this too.

Noise and Flowers I found on youtube was a bit "weirdly" mixed, Neils voice came of as low in the mix and it felt kind of off. Almost like a good audience boot. But spinning it, it sounded great. So must have been me, maybe.

A 2001 live album would be amazing -- BUT WE ALL AGREE THAT THE STOCKHOLM 2001 SHOW WAS THE GREATEST SHOW HE DID THAT YEAR AND THIS LIVE ALBUM CAN NOT IN ANY WAY BE BETTER THAN THAT SHOW.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Agreed on the weird mix on Noise and Flowers. 
    Neil confirmed in the new letters, ORS5 (Ragged, Weld/Arc Freedom) is out next year.

That messes up my release timeline theory (everything here being pushed 9ish months out). May also give insight when to expect the Mirrorball reissue for those who want it.

• What’s the point of the 50 year editions….
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    I just really really want the Ragged Glory/Smell the Horse expanded LP. Plus Weld of course. That era of Neil is hard to touch.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    What’s the point of the 50 year editions….
    To get a few more bucks from nostalgic boomers.

• shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173

I'm no boomer but I'll buy a 50yr Harvest if the extra content is worthwhile. An extra track and alt version on After the Gold rush was not worth $100. Lets wait and see what the release contains before pooping on it. 
    I think its gonna be a pretty similar set and cost. Maybe more, because it has the DVD.

I see Goldrush has been lowered in price. retail is now $70 from WB and Amazon has it for $60. Still over priced, but I could see Harvest being in that range with the LP/CD/DVD version. 

• of those official bootleg releases. Which one were not multitrack/soundboard recordings? The 1974-one?
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Box set #6 is going to be great. It's a shame in some respects that Harvest Moon was already reissued.
    That messes up my release timeline theory (everything here being pushed 9ish months out). May also give insight when to expect the Mirrorball reissue for those who want it.

I was really hoping for a stand a lone Ragged Glory re-issue. I have an original vinyl pressing which is hugely lacking.  They crammed the whole thing on one LP and the grooves are micro-thin, rendering what should be a BIG sounding LP (some of NY &CR's best work) coming across much thinner than should match the material.  If the re-issue is a box set only, it's going to be more stuff than I need and more money than I want to spent. 

brianlux said:

I was really hoping for a stand a lone Ragged Glory re-issue. I have an original vinyl pressing which is hugely lacking.  They crammed the whole thing on one LP and the grooves are micro-thin, rendering what should be a BIG sounding LP (some of NY &CR's best work) coming across much thinner than should match the material.  If the re-issue is a box set only, it's going to be more stuff than I need and more money than I want to spent. 
    The triple LP version of Ragged Glory/Smell The Horse will be a standalone release. 
    The original version (without the bonus tracks) will be included in ORS Box 5

(Tim Rogers)
    of those official bootleg releases. Which one were not multitrack/soundboard recordings? The 1974-one?
    Yes. Citizen Kane Blues. 

I think one of the 2 yet to be released ones is too.
    edited August 2022
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

The triple LP version of Ragged Glory/Smell The Horse will be a standalone release. 
    The original version (without the bonus tracks) will be included in ORS Box 5

Good to know, thanks!

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    of those official bootleg releases. Which one were not multitrack/soundboard recordings? The 1974-one?
    Yes. Citizen Kane Blues. 

I think one of the 2 yet to be released ones is too.
    This has dropped to like $16 on Amazon, worth getting? I listened to the stream once and didn't like the SQ (although I understand it)
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    For $16? yeah. Once I think this goes OOP, I think it will be at the bottom of the repress list, just given the series and given the SQ. 

Also, the sound quality isn't terrible. Its an AUD. and sounds damn good for 1974.