Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Carnegie Hall back in stock now. It's saying it can be delivered in the next few days.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    FR181798 said:
    Carnegie Hall back in stock now. It's saying it can be delivered in the next few days.
    I have a package to collect. Lets hope its this then..
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249

Congrats! Prime live Neil. Love that release.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Archives 3 “maybe this year”

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Yeah, when I heard they were just getting into the art a couple of months back, I was less optimistic of it dropping this year. Glad Ragged Glory deluxe is still happening.
    Sounds like Neil played his new Horse/Rick a Rubin album to Reprise just yesterday. Less optimistic about that happening this year now. 
    Sounds like Neil played his new Horse/Rick a Rubin album to Reprise just yesterday. Less optimistic about that happening this year now. 
    Wait what. It's aready done? I thought that was a project he was going to do... haha...

Man, hoping that one sounds good and everything sounds less "sketchy" than usual nowadays.
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Any Patrons here? Exciting day!
    adusick said:
    Yep, but it’ll be 3am here so it’s unlikely I’ll make this one!

(Tim Rogers)
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    goldrush said:
    adusick said:
    Yep, but it’ll be 3am here so it’s unlikely I’ll make this one!
    Ah, darn. Well let me know if you have any burning Q’s and I’ll try to ask for ya…if he takes a Q&A that is.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I really hope that Rick Rubin pushed neil on this record to put a little more effort into the lyrics.  To me the last couple records though great musically had some so so lyrics.  I would like to see another late career masterpiece from NYCH!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    I really hope that Rick Rubin pushed neil on this record to put a little more effort into the lyrics.  To me the last couple records though great musically had some so so lyrics.  I would like to see another late career masterpiece from NYCH!
    You've heard every RHCP albums for the past 30 years right? I don't think he'll push the lyricist to write better lyrics.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    You've heard every RHCP albums for the past 30 years right? I don't think he'll push the lyricist to write better lyrics.

I really stopped after Californication.  Some of the hype around the latest release has piqued my curiosity, but the radio songs so far have kept me from actually wanting to pay to for the new album.  I am basing my hopes around Rick having a reputation for pushing artists, and also for some new blood in the Neil Young creative team.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    So the rumors are the last 2 OBS that were scheduled for last year are out 9/10.

If true, we've had a new Neil release everyone month since the last week of April.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    static111 said:

What's the connection between Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Red Hot Chili Peppers? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    static111 said:

What's the connection between Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Red Hot Chili Peppers? 
    rick rubin
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

rick rubin

Got it, thanks!
    That being the case, I would actually expect that if the vibe between Rubin and Young is good, I wouldn't be surprised if the songs turn out great.  For example, in the early 2000s, Rubin told Neil Diamond that he would like to work with him.  They got together and spent a lot of time even before actually recording by listening to music, throwing ideas around, and then eventually getting to work.  (The whole story behind this is in the CD booklet for 12 Songs and is worth checking out).  Diamond had previously released a number of lackluster albums, yet Rubin saw the potential in the artist and had a strong desire to see him put out good work.  The end result was the release in 2005 of Diamond's excellent album, 12 Songs.
    Yeah, I can guess what some reading this are thinking- "WTF, you're promoting that schmaltz meister, Neil Diamond?"   Yes, I am!  12 Songs is a terrific album and Rubin knew Diamond had it in him to make this excellent work.

So that takes us back to Rubin and Young.  Obviously, with Neil, the vibe has to be there.  We know that from experience.  The other factor is Young's tendency to be a bit temperamental.  I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing.  Neil had pushed some of the people around him hard and the resulting material is often terrific, sometimes not so great.  We'll see how it goes.  Who knows- that whole thing may fall apart.  But I have a strong feeling there is tremendous potential there.  Rubin has worked with such an incredibly broad scope of artists, has probably seen every kind of character and disposition out there, and seems to have a very level head about himself. 
    I'm stoked to hear these two giants are working together and hoping for something amazing to result.  Sure will be interesting to find out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The album is done. So its a real thing. He played it for WB last week. no release date though.

If Rubin can produce as interesting an album from Neil as Dan Lanois managed to (Le Noise) then I'm all for this.
    thats the hope. 

Edved82 said:
    If Rubin can produce as interesting an album from Neil as Dan Lanois managed to (Le Noise) then I'm all for this.
    Right on, Edved.  Le Noise is a surprisingly under-appreciated album in Neil's catalog.  I think it's one of his best!

• I WANNA KNOW WHAT CONCERTS THE SONGS ARE TAKEN FROM

01. Mr. Soul - Berlin, Waldbühne, 3.7.2019
    02. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere - Berlin, Waldbühne, 3.7.2019
    03. Helpless - Berlin, Waldbühne, 3.7.2019
    04. Field Of Opportunity - Berlin, Waldbühne, 3.7.2019
    05. Alabama - London, Hyde Park, 12.7.2019
    06. Throw Your Hatred Down - Kilkenny, Nowlan Park, 14.7.2019
    07. Rockin' In The Free World - Berlin, Waldbühne, 3.7.2019
    08. Comes a Time - Dresden, Filmnächte am Elbufer, 2.7.2019
    09. From Hank To Hendrix - Antwerpen, Sportpaleis, 9.7.2019
    10. On The Beach - Antwerpen, Sportpaleis, 9.7.2019
    11. Are You Ready For The Country? - Antwerpen, Sportpaleis, 9.7.2019
    12. I've Been Waiting For You - Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome, 10.7.2019
    13. Winterlong - Mannheim, SAP Arena, 5.7.2019
    14. F...In Up - München, Olympiahalle, 6.7.2019

brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Right on, Edved.  Le Noise is a surprisingly under-appreciated album in Neil's catalog.  I think it's one of his best!

I like that one a lot. The prices for vinyl copies have skyrocketed, hopefully its on Neil's re-release list!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I always have basically everything from Le Noise in my rotation. I still remember the cranky guy after the concert being like "what's with all these political songs" - talking about Neil Young:D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

I like that one a lot. The prices for vinyl copies have skyrocketed, hopefully its on Neil's re-release list!

I really needs to be!  I passed on a copy when it came out because at the time it seemed like too much to pay for an album (I think it was $24, but then,at the time, I was not making much money).  And then a few years later, I decided I could get it but it had gone out of print fast and the prices had gone way up.  So I kept watching for an affordable copy and finally lucked out BIG TIME and found a copy on eBay a few years ago, sealed, for (I think it was) $40.  I couldn't believe my luck!  And knowing how much a lot of Neil fans would love it, I'm really hoping a reissue happens.  It just needs to!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

I really needs to be!  I passed on a copy when it came out because at the time it seemed like too much to pay for an album (I think it was $24, but then,at the time, I was not making much money).  And then a few years later, I decided I could get it but it had gone out of print fast and the prices had gone way up.  So I kept watching for an affordable copy and finally lucked out BIG TIME and found a copy on eBay a few years ago, sealed, for (I think it was) $40.  I couldn't believe my luck!  And knowing how much a lot of Neil fans would love it, I'm really hoping a reissue happens.  It just needs to!
    I just have a bootleg version for now. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited August 2022
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

I just have a bootleg version for now. 
    Bootleg???
    I will pray for you soul.  :lol:
    Seriously though, I hope you get a good LP pressing some day with the great art work.  The cover has this amazing cool/eerie vibe to it.  I totally dig it!

brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

That's a damn good price! I saw one in a London record store when I was over there on holidays earlier in the year, and got excited until I saw it was £120 - way too much for my price range. Might luck out at a record fair or something sometime!
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!

Great breakdown there, Goldrush!    I hadn't thought of it, but yes, Toast definitely works in tandem with Sleeps and Broken Arrow.  Are You Passionate has it moments, but when I listened to Toast today, I felt a strange sense of elation- not just because the record is great, but because it was like finding a huge piece of something missing that I didn't even know I was missing.

I hope you vinyl copy is good.  Mine has two tiny little clicks- not distracting at all- and otherwise sounds excellent.  A few people on the Hoffman site have complained about it being "crappy vinyl".  I have to wonder if the didn't give it a good cleaning first?  I find that if I clean new vinyl, it almost always sounds great and have had very few problems. 

As far as sound goes- "Boom Boom Boom" sounds a bit murky to me, but it's my least favorite song anyway.  "Going Home" on this vinyl edition sounds terrific- so much better than on Passionate.  Everything else sounds great too.  I couldn't be happier!

My Toast vinyl (and CD) finally arrived today. It sounds so good!
    I agree that Goin' Home is a real standout, although I won't be able to compare it to the Are You Passionate vinyl unless someone wants to donate a copy to me!  :D
    Even if the AYP prices weren't ridiculous, I'm even less likely to buy it now because Toast is so much better.

(Tim Rogers)