I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "spaz":  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spaz
    I have always thought it to mean this.  Someone high sprung or a goof.  Never have I ever heard the word Spaz used to put down someone with cerebral palsy.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    New Beyonce album just showed up. yessssssssss

Not meaning to burst your bubble, Tim, but you might want to check this out first:

When Beyoncé dropped the same ableist slur as Lizzo on her new album, my heart sank

Hannah Diviney

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now.

Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post.

Lizzo herself even took notice, changing the lyric and giving us all a masterclass in how to be a true and effective ally.

I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. But I guess I was wrong, because now Beyoncé has gone and done exactly the same thing. In fact, she’s used the word “spaz” twice in a new song Heated, a co-write with Canadian rapper Drake off her new album, Renaissance, which dropped on Friday.

I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Whenever Beyoncé so much as breathes it becomes a cultural moment. She’s often the blueprint for the music industry – with artists and entertainers following her lead. That’s the status she has earned after decades of a career at the top, never making the same move twice, seeming to play in an entirely different league to the majority of the music industry.

Beyoncé’s commitment to storytelling musically and visually is unparalleled, as is her power to have the world paying attention to the narratives, struggles and nuanced lived experience of being a black woman – a world I can only ever understand as an ally, and have no desire to overshadow.

But that doesn’t excuse her use of ableist language – language that gets used and ignored all too often. Language you can be sure I will never ignore, no matter who it comes from or what the circumstances are. It doesn’t excuse the fact that the teams of people involved in making this album somehow missed all the noise the disabled community made only six weeks ago when Lizzo did the same thing.

It doesn’t explain how millions of people have already heard this album and yet aren’t raising the issue, except to make fun of or degrade the disabled community.

I’m so tired. Disabled people deserve better. I don’t want to have this conversation again.

Yeah. I heard it in the song last week. It’s a bummer. I’d rather them own it and be better going forward than not doing anything. 

I'm really hoping she comes around on this one.  And it probably wasn't meant to be derogatory, but how do you tell that to someone with a disability?  She would do well to make amends somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Never heard of it used in that way.  Is this new?

It's not new to my knowledge, but then in the late 80's I subbed special ed a few times, have personally known Down Syndrome folks, have worked  with people in the disabilities office at our local community college from the late 1990's to early 2000's, volunteered 1,000 hours at our health library, so I might take it for granted that most people know "spaz" is a derogatory term.  To my way of thinking, it really should be common knowledge. 

And yes, same with "dork".  Kind of hard to believe that one is still thrown around. It too, by definition, is a derogatory term. 

It seems to me that people who throw those terms around either have no experience with people with disabilities or maybe even have disdain for them.  It sucks being disabled.  Why make it harder? (I mean that generally.  I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically.)
    I would gather to say that everyone that uses dork or spaz is not targeting the special needs people.  The term restarted wasn't doing that either IMO but because there was a past stigma with those words and people still want to revisit words that have taken on new meanings.

The term "gypped" as in "gypped me on that price" is a derogatory term or so I have read.  It refers to Gypsies.  They get a lot of flack.

Anybody feel like starting a thread on this, lol?  Offensive words you didn't know that were?

Do doubt you're right that people saying "dork" and "spaz" are not intentionally targeting special needs people... but inadvertently, they are.  Besides, those are words 4th graders, not grown adults.
    In any case, yeah, this needs a different. thread.

On topic, still waiting for the live Dinosaur Jr pre-order (and actually glad to let my ears settle down after seeing The Dream Syndicate show).  That Dino LP should be excellent!
    Which Dinosaur Jr live vinyl are you referring to? Just curious if there is a new one.  
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "spaz":  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spaz
    I have always thought it to mean this.  Someone high sprung or a goof.  Never have I ever heard the word Spaz used to put down someone with cerebral palsy.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Not meaning to burst your bubble, Tim, but you might want to check this out first:

When Beyoncé dropped the same ableist slur as Lizzo on her new album, my heart sank

Hannah Diviney

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now.

Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post.

Lizzo herself even took notice, changing the lyric and giving us all a masterclass in how to be a true and effective ally.

I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. But I guess I was wrong, because now Beyoncé has gone and done exactly the same thing. In fact, she’s used the word “spaz” twice in a new song Heated, a co-write with Canadian rapper Drake off her new album, Renaissance, which dropped on Friday.

I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Whenever Beyoncé so much as breathes it becomes a cultural moment. She’s often the blueprint for the music industry – with artists and entertainers following her lead. That’s the status she has earned after decades of a career at the top, never making the same move twice, seeming to play in an entirely different league to the majority of the music industry.

Beyoncé’s commitment to storytelling musically and visually is unparalleled, as is her power to have the world paying attention to the narratives, struggles and nuanced lived experience of being a black woman – a world I can only ever understand as an ally, and have no desire to overshadow.

But that doesn’t excuse her use of ableist language – language that gets used and ignored all too often. Language you can be sure I will never ignore, no matter who it comes from or what the circumstances are. It doesn’t excuse the fact that the teams of people involved in making this album somehow missed all the noise the disabled community made only six weeks ago when Lizzo did the same thing.

It doesn’t explain how millions of people have already heard this album and yet aren’t raising the issue, except to make fun of or degrade the disabled community.

I’m so tired. Disabled people deserve better. I don’t want to have this conversation again.

Yeah. I heard it in the song last week. It’s a bummer. I’d rather them own it and be better going forward than not doing anything. 

I'm really hoping she comes around on this one.  And it probably wasn't meant to be derogatory, but how do you tell that to someone with a disability?  She would do well to make amends somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's not new to my knowledge, but then in the late 80's I subbed special ed a few times, have personally known Down Syndrome folks, have worked  with people in the disabilities office at our local community college from the late 1990's to early 2000's, volunteered 1,000 hours at our health library, so I might take it for granted that most people know "spaz" is a derogatory term.  To my way of thinking, it really should be common knowledge. 

And yes, same with "dork".  Kind of hard to believe that one is still thrown around. It too, by definition, is a derogatory term. 

It seems to me that people who throw those terms around either have no experience with people with disabilities or maybe even have disdain for them.  It sucks being disabled.  Why make it harder? (I mean that generally.  I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically.)
    I would gather to say that everyone that uses dork or spaz is not targeting the special needs people.  The term restarted wasn't doing that either IMO but because there was a past stigma with those words and people still want to revisit words that have taken on new meanings.

The term "gypped" as in "gypped me on that price" is a derogatory term or so I have read.  It refers to Gypsies.  They get a lot of flack.

Anybody feel like starting a thread on this, lol?  Offensive words you didn't know that were?
    At this point, people should say what they want. 

My brother in law has downs.  You absolutely can’t use the “r” word around my in-laws.  However they mis gender people on purpose and decry the overly PC nature of our society 

go figure 

people are fine offending anyone, they just don’t want to be offended themselves. You can’t win

on topic.  Got home this evening and unwrapping Jack white, and living in clip tonight 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Few discogs purchases. Another attempt to shorten the wantlist, which never seems to come to fruition 🤔.  

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Neil & Crazy Horse ‘Toast’ finally arrived this morning.
    I also got a shipping notification for ‘Noise & Flowers’ today. 
    Keep ’em coming, Neil!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Few discogs purchases. Another attempt to shorten the wantlist, which never seems to come to fruition 🤔.  

Nice on the Flipper albums.  I have been wanting to do the repress' of those!

Sex Bomb. 

The first two Flipper albums are must-listens at minimum.  Beware of the 09 repress, according to a couple reviews it sounds terrible 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

Do doubt you're right that people saying "dork" and "spaz" are not intentionally targeting special needs people... but inadvertently, they are.  Besides, those are words 4th graders, not grown adults.
    In any case, yeah, this needs a different. thread.

On topic, still waiting for the live Dinosaur Jr pre-order (and actually glad to let my ears settle down after seeing The Dream Syndicate show).  That Dino LP should be excellent!
    Which Dinosaur Jr live vinyl are you referring to? Just curious if there is a new one.  

It's called Dinosaur Jr: SeventyTwoHundredSeconds (Live on MTV 1993), and is a 12" Vinyl EP .
    Here's the pre-order link:
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/dinosaur-jr-seventytwohundredseconds-live-on-mtv-1993-12-vinyl-ep/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Sex Bomb. 

The first two Flipper albums are must-listens at minimum.  Beware of the 09 repress, according to a couple reviews it sounds terrible 
    Cool ty for that tidbit.  I have a Rites of Spring OG 7" All Through a Life.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    ^^ so excited to finally have this!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    anyone have a recommendation for a specific pressing of Bob Dylan's Bringing it All Back Home?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    static111 said:
    anyone have a recommendation for a specific pressing of Bob Dylan's Bringing it All Back Home?
    I have the Dylan mono box set from a few years ago which includes Bringing All Back Home. I love it. Every once in a while, these pop up on Amazon for a reasonable price. I got mine for around $200 if I remembered correctly.

Sex Bomb. 

The white label?? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    static111 said:

Oh man, the Bringing it All... LP eludes me.  Over the years, I have found three copies of that LP in thrift store, all abused enough to not meet my standards.  It's not that I'm anal about perfect vinyl, and I don't mid a few clicks or light pops, but all three had more noise than I want for a record of this stature, so I sold each of them at very reasonably priced through the bookstore. Finding a VG+ or better early pressing is a goal yet to be attained.  I hope you can score a good one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited August 2022
    Looks like mofi updated the thriller listing.  Apologies if this was pointed out already.

been discussed a lot here though 

Source: 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256

They updated everything now other stuff says things like this: 

Mastering Source to Be Determined Closer to Production Date; Specifics Will Be Posted Here When Authenticated

Still 100 bucks though.  😂

I’ve never noticed this before either. Did they just modify the pic too?  All very shady, and it appears they got busted 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Mofi Gives a good breakdown when you buy a one step.

I knew someone posted a pic of the one step process.

for sure they modified the description of the process as it didn’t use to say DSD
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022

Sex Bomb. 

The white label?? 
    Dis one.
    RITES OF SPRING ALL THROUGH A LIFE 7
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Wilco YHT deluxe set
    Taylor Swift Lover & 1989
    MMJ At Dawn 3LP reissue
    Jack White Entering Heaven Alive 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited August 2022

Sex Bomb. 

The white label?? 
    Dis one.
    For sure, but there are two 1987 pressings. One is a test pressing which has a white label that only says “Dischord 22” on it. Is that the one you have? 
    I think there is also a 1987 OG and then an ‘87 Repress as well. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

Sex Bomb. 

The white label?? 
    Dis one.
    For sure, but there are two 1987 pressings. One is a test pressing which has a white label that only says “Dischord 22” on it. Is that the one you have? 
    Mine is definitely not a test press.  I wasn't aware that Dischord even let those out?  Pretty sure mine is the OG.  These aren't worth much anyways but still cool I have it from way back when.

Sex Bomb. 

The white label?? 
    Dis one.
    Mine is definitely not a test press.  I wasn't aware that Dischord even let those out?  Pretty sure mine is the OG.  These aren't worth much anyways but still cool I have it from way back when.
    Absolutely. RoS is criminally underrated.  One test pressing copy sold for 200£ back in 2019 according to discogs. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

I went back to the record store where I got those four OG sealed Pearl Jam’s. I knew the guy was still going through that massive collection he bought. I think there were 19,000 records he got from the same collection. Anyway, he found this one a few days ago. Sealed OG Mirrorball. It was $150. Original price tag was covered by his, but I could make out $12.99. I have been wanting this one for a while. 

I wonder what he will find in that collection next. He offered me some REM that was in there but I have all the ones I want. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    GlowGirl said:

I went back to the record store where I got those four OG sealed Pearl Jam’s. I knew the guy was still going through that massive collection he bought. I think there were 19,000 records he got from the same collection. Anyway, he found this one a few days ago. Sealed OG Mirrorball. It was $150. Original price tag was covered by his, but I could make out $12.99. I have been wanting this one for a while. 

I wonder what he will find in that collection next. He offered me some REM that was in there but I have all the ones I want. 
    Well goddam, that's a good find. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Well goddam, that's a good find. 
    Wow! Yeah, I’d take that in a heart beat if I came across one. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    GlowGirl said:

see what happens when you listen to me?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:

see what happens when you listen to me?
    I know! I actually thought of you when I was buying this. Good advice  :)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    GlowGirl said:

:clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04