The Golf Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    is eldrick no longer BFF with trump, now that trump is, not surprisingly, an LIV whore?

BTW - trump thinks we still haven’t “gotten to the bottom of” 9-11. smfh.
    He also thinks he won the 2020 election. 
    “by a LOT!”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    LPGA will have tournaments with the best players in the world.  They should take advantage of this from a marketing perspective.  Distance doesn’t matter on tv.  A 300 yard drive looks the same as 250. 

Men’s game is turning into a mess.  Going to have to learn to coexist.  

Majors are in the clock and need to modify qualifications for their next year’s tournaments asap. Need to make participating in a real tour based on performance the dominating qualification requirement, to keep the younger players. The Saudi tour so far is a mini senior type tour for thirty five year old something’s who already have their majors lined up for the next few years. The tours need to keep the younger players or the blood kingdom will be running golf with trump. It’s a little brutal watching the majors this year and hear fans still giving players like Mickelson standing ovations. Guess the common fan doesn’t mind the blood money and paying more for petrol

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I am over the blood money references.  It is blood money, but we are all apart of it.

China is by far the biggest threat to stability in the world and human rights.  

Most of us buy cheap goods made in China.  
    The PGA tour started a PGA Tour China.  
    The US government sells arms to SA.
    We don't complain about buying fuel that comes from SA oil.

I don't think the sports washing is going to work anyway.

There was probably a debate at some point in time about how many rounds should be in a standard tournament.  They settled on 4 but could have easily been 3.  The Champions Tour has done 3 rounds for non-majors and I don't think anyone is up in arms calling those tournaments "exhibitions".   Women's tennis is 3 sets vs. 5 for mens.  I don't think anyone questions women's tennis as "exhibitions".     3 rounds is plenty.  If I was on tour I would love to have an extra day off during a tournament week.  How many of us watch rounds 1 or 2 on tv?  Probably 1% of us.  54 holes is plenty to determine the winner.  We just have to accept change.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited July 2022
    I am over the blood money references.  It is blood money, but we are all apart of it.

There was probably a debate at some point in time about how many rounds should be in a standard tournament.  They settled on 4 but could have easily been 3.  The Champions Tour has done 3 rounds for non-majors and I don't think anyone is up in arms calling those tournaments "exhibitions".   Women's tennis is 3 sets vs. 5 for mens.  I don't think anyone questions women's tennis as "exhibitions".     3 rounds is plenty.  If I was on tour I would love to have an extra day off during a tournament week.  How many of us watch rounds 1 or 2 on tv?  Probably 1% of us.  54 holes is plenty to determine the winner.  We just have to accept change.  
    I'll leave the blood money for others to argue as I am not ready to try and rationalize that just yet. Sorry....

I am not for certain, but I would think the reason the seniors play one less round is because there are guys in their 60's out there. I also don't think it makes much sense to compare women's and men's sports. That is not apples to apples. 

3 rounds with everyone making the cut is bush league any way you slice. It is amateur hour. 

I don't understand all this wanting to have an extra day off stuff and wanting to have more free time. They're relatively young and getting paid handsomely to play a fucking game. I'd golf 5+ times a week if I was able to and I pay to play! Baseball players play pretty much every day of the week. I don't hear them complaining. 

"Nowadays, people just don't want to work anymore"....guess that applies to pro golfers now, too? lol
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I think the majors are a little stale right now.  I think the majors would be better in this new era where you have this animosity between tours and the players don’t play against each other all of the time.   

Think MLB before inter league play.  NFL where sometimes teams only play each other in the playoffs.  NBA I believe only has two games with non conference teams.   
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited July 2022

Alright, clay Travis.

it’s a fucking hit and giggle 

and this entire post is sports washing working 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

These players sold out the tour that gave them the opportunity to be who they are, for one reason, the tens of millions they earn here are not enough to feed their greed. There is a huge difference between that, and the US govt making strategic alliances in he Middle East, or people needing to buy supplies from various countries , or gas from SA. The only reason the Saudis are doing this is to appear appealing to the west, including corporate America. And these suckers are playing along. Sometimes you get burned, like the women BB players who believed playing in Russia was a good bet for the money. Well one unfortunate lady lost on that bet pretty bad, and all Americans are less secure as a result, as we now are offering a steep ransom for her return. When we travel overseas, will Americans now have targets on their backs? 

This needs to happen to all the LIVers, at each major they qualify for. This fan has class. 

Alright, clay Travis.

Not sure what Saudi Arabia funding a golf league is supposed to accomplish?  They already are a sovereign nation that gets away with whatever they want.  Am I supposed to like Saudi Arabia now?  No, they are murderers and terrible with human rights.  Running a golf league isn’t going to change anyone’s perception that has a soul.

People can keep whining there way into obscurity.  It is all so hypocritical.   All the PGA sponsors do business with Saudi Arabia.  

Let the Ryder Cup and majors die by not letting LIV players play.  
    I think golf is more exciting when you have a dominant player, and that is one reason why I don’t watch very much as there is so much parity.  

So if someone comes along and changes up the format I would listen.  Jay Monaghan decided not to listen to anyone and acted too late.
    As LIV gets more players and they have to play well to stay around it will get more competitive.

Alright, clay Travis.

Not sure what Saudi Arabia funding a golf league is supposed to accomplish?  They already are a sovereign nation that gets away with whatever they want.  Am I supposed to like Saudi Arabia now?  No, they are murderers and terrible with human rights.  Running a golf league isn’t going to change anyone’s perception that has a soul.

People can keep whining there way into obscurity.  It is all so hypocritical.   All the PGA sponsors do business with Saudi Arabia.  

They are pumping literal billions into a sports league with no sponsors, no tv contracts, no real advertisers…is literally not about making money. It’s about business relationships with the west. Sure, there are plenty of terrible countries, the US included, but these fuckers literally hacked  a Washington post journalist up on FaceTime. And these fuckers are saying “golf can do a lot of good”, it’s not about the money, there are a lot of bad counties, all while playing in a hit and giggle with music playing and shotgun starts. It’s WWE of golf. Pat Perez was on one of the most beautiful planes in the world singing we are the champions after shooting a fucking 80..,it’s fucking trash. It’s the most low key professional sporting event ever.

The pga leadership should be blown up for not handling it differently, but this league is a fucking joke and it sucks for golf 

Every player than has gone to date is a tool and it makes perfect sense. Some more to come that will hurt a bit more…leishman (though it kinda makes sense given his form the past few years), hideki, but especially cam.

As LIV gets more players and they have to play well to stay around it will get more competitive.
    Here’s the thing…they don’t care 
    I think golf is more exciting when you have a dominant player, and that is one reason why I don’t watch very much as there is so much parity.  

So if someone comes along and changes up the format I would listen.  Jay Monaghan decided not to listen to anyone and acted too late.
    The first paragraph is true for literally every sport in the history of the world.

Don’t disagree with the 2nd paragraph, but this ain’t it

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

not buying what you’re selling.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

not buying what you’re selling.
    Ha. More and more players are going to LIV.  Gonna have to learn to LIV with it.

Alright, clay Travis.

They are pumping literal billions into a sports league with no sponsors, no tv contracts, no real advertisers…is literally not about making money. It’s about business relationships with the west. Sure, there are plenty of terrible countries, the US included, but these fuckers literally hacked  a Washington post journalist up on FaceTime. And these fuckers are saying “golf can do a lot of good”, it’s not about the money, there are a lot of bad counties, all while playing in a hit and giggle with music playing and shotgun starts. It’s WWE of golf. Pat Perez was on one of the most beautiful planes in the world singing we are the champions after shooting a fucking 80..,it’s fucking trash. It’s the most low key professional sporting event ever.

The pga leadership should be blown up for not handling it differently, but this league is a fucking joke and it sucks for golf 

Every player than has gone to date is a tool and it makes perfect sense. Some more to come that will hurt a bit more…leishman (though it kinda makes sense given his form the past few years), hideki, but especially cam.

President Biden fist bumped the guy who watched that killing on FaceTime.  But Pat Perez is the problem here.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Alright, clay Travis.

This.  If I hear it's "good for the game" one more time I'm going to lose my mind.  This isn't about the game.  It's so strange that all the MAGA types are so excited for the league.  Why the hell would you be excited that Abraham Ancer is all of a sudden making an absurd amount of money???  And the format is a complete joke.  If it was actually exciting I would prob forget about the Saudi stuff.  But people out here acting like a charity golf outing is real competition is just crazy.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    Its not appealing  to watch at all. Its like a knock about
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

Alright, clay Travis.

President Biden fist bumped the guy who watched that killing on FaceTime.  But Pat Perez is the problem here.
    I know reading can be difficult but these are clearly two different points. One on the politics and one on the competition 
    We will see on the competition. More than likely it will never become anything meaningful from a competition perspective.  

Will have to wait and see.  Maybe the team style will catch on over a decade.  It would be neat to have team rivalries grow and maybe some trades or splits over the years that will add some excitement to the game.    Agree right now it is all about money for the players. 

Alright, clay Travis.

I know reading can be difficult but these are clearly two different points. One on the politics and one on the competition 
    Biden should have karate chopped him in the face. I don't understand why he didn't do that. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2022
    We will see on the competition. More than likely it will never become anything meaningful from a competition perspective.  

Will have to wait and see.  Maybe the team style will catch on over a decade.  It would be neat to have team rivalries grow and maybe some trades or splits over the years that will add some excitement to the game.    Agree right now it is all about money for the players. 

Competition? How is a guaranteed payday from our gas gouging going to be good for competition? These golfers are literally gouging you and me.

Competition? How is a guaranteed payday from our gas gouging going to be good for competition? These golfers are literally gouging you and me.
    Yeah. Seems like their main motivation is more money (guaranteed) for less golf. That competitive fire will undoubtedly dwindle. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Finau!  Feels like we've been waiting forever for him to break out like this.  Good for him....love seeing a dude who grew up dirt poor playing at his local muni make it this far.

How much guaranteed money does Aaron Rodgers make?  What about every baseball contract with guaranteed money?  This is not the first sport with guaranteed money.  Are we bitching about those sports?

A lot of rich people are motivated by becoming richer.  
    Finau!  Feels like we've been waiting forever for him to break out like this.  Good for him....love seeing a dude who grew up dirt poor playing at his local muni make it this far.
    Yeah, it is nice to have that monkey completely off his back now.  Still needs that marquee win but having 3-4 wins is big.
    edited August 2022
    The guaranteed portion of Rogers' salary is $59 million. Far cry from these golfers getting paid well more to play 8 times a year.
    And baseball players play 162 games a season and spend half the year away from their families. These golfers are crying about 8+ weeks out of the year. Sports contracts have been insane for years, but the revenue baseball, football, and basketball leagues make completely dwarfs this exhibition golf league that's not even televised on traditional tv so the contracts, while insane, are still within reason, relatively speaking. LIV, on the other hand is handing out 100's and 10's of millions of dollars to anyone who wants it, it seems. 

Lots of apples to something else comparisons going on here....

“What these players are doing for guaranteed money, what is the incentive to practice?” Woods said. “What is the incentive to go out there and earn it in the dirt? You're just getting paid a lot of money up front and playing a few events and playing 54 holes. They're playing blaring music and have all these atmospheres that are different. I can understand 54 holes is almost like a mandate when you get to the senior tour. The guys are little bit older and a little more banged up. But when you're at this young age and some of these kids—they really are kids who have gone from amateur golf into that organization—72-hole tests are part of it. We used to have 36-hole playoffs for major championships. That's how it used to be, 18-hole U.S. Open playoffs.

“I just don't see how that move is positive in the long term for a lot of these players, especially if the LIV organization doesn't get World Ranking points and the major championships change their criteria for entering the events. It would be sad to see some of these young kids never get a chance to experience it and experience what we've got a chance to experience and walk these hallowed grounds and play in these championships.”
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The "Let's go Brandon" chants at the LIV event this weekend were a nice touch.  I thought all the MAGA assholes wanted to keep politics out of sports?!?
    The "Let's go Brandon" chants at the LIV event this weekend were a nice touch.  I thought all the MAGA assholes wanted to keep politics out of sports?!?
    Excellent way to further alienate a huge portion of golf fans too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg